Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Do we need new blood?

Go down 
+7
Kindredsoul
Embala
Nibblet
Tymber
TrollHammer
Vaeri
Lunakat
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lunakat

Lunakat

Do we need new blood? Empty
PostSubject: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Hey guys!

I just want to see what everyone thinks of this topic. Here we basically have the remnants of the old Scroll. We’ve been chatting with each other (most of us) for over a decade. But we aren’t all here. A lot of people didn’t manage to find this place after the scroll was shut down. And as lovely as it is to talk with everyone who did...

I just wonder... is it time to bring new people in?

What do you guys think of the idea of posting an invitation on Facebook?

Also— if we are going to do that, do we want to pay attention to the phone and tablet version of this site? I always visit on my phone, but switch to “web” version because it has the bells and whistles set up, and the other interfaces don’t.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 12:35 am

Not sure if i've been around as long as some as you...so i don't have the same level of closeness among some of you i've seen. Sometimes i feel a touch out of place.

But i have seem some people who used to be here kinda just..faded off.

I don't think i'd mind fresh faces...i just fear people of...specific mindsets. How do i put this? I suppose i fear the fans who feel the Pini's can do no wrong and how dare you insinuate something they did wasn't a masterpiece or master stroke of writing. I've seen them on facebook...*shudders*

I also strictly use the web version on my phone. I like the look and useage better.
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 2:55 am

My phone always switches to mobile version, and logs me off as it does so, so I have to reload with desktop version, then reload it again as the phone freaks out for some reason and holds the screen to one side... I will say this, though, I have a lot less issue with the site than I did 6 years ago, which was one of the reasons I faded off (that and I lost my password, computers, and pretty much anything else I could use to get into the site to have the ads screw with me....)

Ima troll. Not a 'net troll, mind you, but while I love the community here, loved the time I spent on the old scroll, and so on, it's always been one of those 'troll in the elf-holt' type feelings. I hear lots of 'remember when' that I don't remember, and while I do, vividly, remember the... apple-cart upset that was the ending of the old scroll, I don't remember the snobbishness it sounds like others experienced. But as I say, I'm a little bit unobservant at times of some social interactions. I've always been an outsider, but even so, I've always been welcome here (and by 'here' I mean with the community here and at the old scroll) Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, I worry a lot, read too much into the wrong things, not enough into others, and don't 'get it' sometimes. ignore me if I'm too far off the deep end.

I wish there were a few of the others around more often. Wonder what happened to @willderbeast and others, and am quite giddy to see Luna back to play... always enjoy your wit.

Would I like to see new life here... Absolutely. Moreover, I'd do whatever I could to breathe more life into what EQ means to me, stir up more conversations with new fans and whatnot.... I never felt like this Scroll Holt was exclusive or excluded anyone, I just feel like there's just no one out there outside of the few remaining, active holts doing much. I've seen it on other forums, where.... lets say it's a forum about a jeep cherokee, a type of SUV (had an account on one of those sites) There's the SJ, the XJ, the ZJ, ... the.. uh, liberty... and the new Cherokee... and they might retire thename or something.... I dunno.. I was only interested in the XJ and the ZJ since I've had like 3 of each. Anyway, once you've pounded down the model features of each year, all the varients, all the possible combinations, the minute 'this axle is 1/8" narrower than the one from that year" there just isn't much else to do. A few new members showed up, asked the same 'how do I fix this' questions everyone does the first time they log in, posted a few pictures of their jeeps, and faded off...

There's still story being told, though it's a year out at this point, there's still trivia to explore, and it's not dead, but EQ has a huge 'learning curve' for someone to go from 'hey, I found this comic I never heard of' to goofing around with the 'elders'. If an actual movie, tv show, or a revival of things like the EQ of the 90s were to show up, I'd think there would be a lot more activity on all of the fan sites. I see there's a discord thing off to the side I see old members I recognize on, don't know much about getting on there or if that's for me, but there's stuff going on there. Found my old EQFA login and it's pretty quiet there too, just the fan calender and not much else going on.

I think if there was some kind of large scale fan project, say a web series (video or comic) or something that could be explored, renewed, etc, that could bring us all together to focus on something fun, without worries of 'you can't do that' from the mothership, or whatnot, I think it could be fun, and naturally spark things up. The fire isn't dead, it still burns quite well, but the forest around us seems to have all the easy firewood collected already.... need to find more...

and really, that's really all I want... more. More quest, more of the old feel good quest, the journey and adventure, no politics, no 'real world impact' and whatnot.... I dunno what it is I really want to say or I'd say it, but its something like that.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 11:45 am

You know, TrollHammer, I don’t think it was snobbish. I think that we went out of our way to welcome people. And I think you bring up a lot of good ideas. There is so much that we could play around with.

Regarding ‘fading off’ that Vaeri brings up... yeah. That’s totally normal. When I was younger, I had more free time and energy. But now, I’m married with kids. And I’m tired all the time. It’s hard to find time for anything. Plus, I kind of feel like I’ve talked EQ to death at this point. Mostly, I just stop by to see you guys. But eventually... we are all going to fade away. Because life is like that.

That’s why I’m thinking new people need to come. People who haven’t had a chance to talk through every last detail of the comic with each other yet. Maybe a bunch of enthusiastic fans from Facebook.

And the thing about it is... I don’t think we need to be afraid of those people. The Facebook group is closely moderated to avoid any real discussion. But this place isn’t. A forum is about discussion. And discussion should be able to accommodate all perspectives. That’s the whole point of it— as long as we don’t insult each other. We used to have a strong policy about no personal attacks—-and that is what made the old scroll so positive.

I do think the cell phone interface needs some sprucing up. I wonder if Kindred wants to get involved in that discussion? Or if she needs some help with that?

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm

I'll admit i'm afraid!! Lol but i understand, if anyone became a problem to the point i fear, they'd probably end up banned, like..uh...what was his name, Solandil? he did tend to make me uncomfortable...still curious what he did that crossed the line but that's not here nor there.

I suppose i'll close my eye, take the plunge and say go for it. Bring fresh blood in.

Also Trollhammer, i completely relate. That is why i hate social interactions to an extent...why are people so complex and confusing...? Just be straightforward and honest.@_@ but i digress.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 3:47 pm

I wouldn't mind new people. There's threads about Wendy's art that some might take offense to (especially the Frozen stuff), which may stir some stuff for someone who see it. So what we could do - is first do a little "in house cleaning." I am not sure if the Moderators / Admins have a hidden section that they can only see to "review" threads (move stuff in there to review - this is how I've always set up forums I run). So we could move some of those into that area - and just leave them there, not because I want anyone to feel edited (since, for my own example - that was a thread I started) - but more so, that new people won't come in, guns blazing. They will, ideally, come in to a more pleasant experience.

All of that said, however - I do see forums as "the old way." Social media, namely Facebook was a huge blow to forums like this. I ran one of my own, that just had a ton of things - no real theme. Facebook came, and the forum became a graveyard. My forum for my web series (Neverending Nights) used to be active, but Facebook made it a graveyard - so I ended up making a Facebook page for the show. My forum for the comic site I run, New Warriors, was very active - same thing - FB killed it, so I made a FB page for it.

I feel like those who have faded away from here (assuming they're healthy, and it wasn't something like that) - they either outgrew the idea of ElfQuest - or they simply began using the Facebook page.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Lunakat wrote:

I do think the cell phone interface needs some sprucing up. I wonder if Kindred wants to get involved in that discussion? Or if she needs some help with that?

We can not do anything about that. That is a forumotion issue and we are powerless on that front.

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Tymber wrote:
I am not sure if the Moderators / Admins have a hidden section that they can only see

We do but we're not using it to filter content. Users here see what everyone else sees because when they don't people complain about that too. Its easier to just be transparent.

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 4:05 pm

I'm not sure whether I understand the "in house cleaning" right. Please tell me if I'm on the wrong path, Tymber.

Do we need to "clean" our past ... what basically made us gather her ... and what we've dealt with? Not always dealt with ist the best way ... but we did. And how far would this "spring cleaning" have to go?

If "hiding past" should be the best way to prepare for the future I won't dare to say anything "not mainstream" at all. Not that it would make much difference at the moment - I know I'm very silent recently.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 4:29 pm

I'm glad Nibblet said the in house cleaning is not something they'd do. that is what i'm afraid of. And if they wouldn't like what they see coming in, it's not likely they'll like it anymore after settling in. I don't mind a disagreeing opinion as long as the person isn't aggressive or "my way or the highway!!" about it.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm

I'm glad for the fast clarifacation too, Nibblet.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 5:16 pm

I am fine with it - I was just thinking because Vaeri had mentioned being concerned about some of the folks (for example on the FB page who may share very different and very passionate opinions) coming here and going off on a thread. For example, the "Frozen" thread - when I posted that, I was comfortable that most here were of the like mind (based on what I'd seen). Inviting someone new, who doesn't agree - may start a dispute. I, personally, don't care. I just saw Vaeri had mentioned a concern about new people and their opinions - and thought, to ease that - maybe just brushing away the more controversial stuff may be beneficial (for now) - let new folks come in and see something that's easy and welcoming.

That said, I know Trollbabe had an issue with a political post I'd made (in regards to a musicians video). And we were able to talk about it via PMs and clear the air.

I for one, welcome anyone - leave things as they are. Just trying to make sure that those of us already here, feel comfortable too and not worry about some new blood (see what I did there?) coming in here and raising a stink. Smile

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm

I appreciate the consideration Tymber but as i said, if they would take offense when they first cone..i doubt that would change. I for one like controversial things...Wingthing's au could be a prime example of that. Except where peopke get aggressive...like politics and religion.

I'm a very difficult to offend person. I laugh at things like Drawn Together and Jeff Dunham. I kinda rolled my eyes at the uh...skin color discussion from the beginning of FQ. But not everyone is like me and i'm not here to offend. I'm not a fighter unless someone i love is hurt. Otherwise...i run like a coward.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 10:56 pm

Thanks for clarifying some questions Nib Like

As for my two cents, I'm all for new or old members.

But here's my honest take as to why there isn't many. Things have drastically changed over the course of 20+ years. The fanbase moving on or fading out being part of it, but two other major points are, 1- the growth of internet interests and internet platforms and 2- other fantasy competition. Whether it's the competition of the comic world, or video games (whether based on comics or not) I'm not saying it's any fault of EQ, but realistically, this is what leads me to believe why ElfQuest doesn't have much in "new blood" fandom.

People nowadays have their attention spread paper thin when it comes to the current day (endless) digital and fanbase options. EQ may be the longest running series to date, but the competition against the current abundance of today's world is violently fierce.

But like I said, that's just my own opinion. Not fact. Not meant to dispute any other opinions stated Very Happy

Otherwise, if anyone wishes to post or share our link on Facebook, or any other platforms, be my guest. I wouldn't suggest posting it on the Official EQ page though. I doubt it'll be allowed, or it'll likely be deleted. I base that off past experience when the original Scrolls were shut down and our link was shared on the new EQ website base. I won't go into details, but I will say it was "frowned upon" and led to more drama behind the scenes that I do not wish to have to deal with again.

So I would suggest if someone wishes to share this link on the EQ Facebook page, ask permission first before doing so. PM the Pini's, or whomever runs their FB page first.

As for any concerns into possible dispute conversations, should any arise, the staff is always vigilant and has addressed such problems in the past. We do our absolute best to be civil and respectable, whether people have agreed with us or not, but our intentions have always been to keep the Holt as peaceful and stress free as possible for everyone. We do our best to make decisions based on what's best for the "whole of the tribe" perspective over all. But hey, we're human too. Cool

On a final note, the door is always open to anyone who has any concerns about anything. Cool If one does not feel comfortable asking about something out in the open, one can always knock on the PM door Wink

If I missed any other points, or questions, please let me know. Just settled home from work and pretty tired Razz

Love to all I love you

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 10:08 am

Hello!  It's the end of the month and I still have a few gigs left.  Trollhubby is becoming more ambulatory, but is losing dexterity, so I usually get stuff done when he is still asleep.

This same discussion has come up with my alumni e-newsletter, which has been running since the nineties.  It continues because many retired or quarantined people have time to write to each other, and because so many of us Geezers are low-tech.

I don't know how much work it would take on someone's part to invite new members through however many social media platforms are popular now.  I'm not sure how many teens and twenties are into either Elfquest or Facebook. Can you maintain a social media presence just to say, please visit the Scroll of Colors fan website, emphasizing that it is just a fan website?

Tymber reminded me of something I had almost forgotten about, that we discussed by private message.  (Also made me curious about the "Frozen" topic, LOL!)  Scroll members are more civil than much of what I have seen outside of this forum. It would be an administrative headache to deal with some of the drama I have seen on social media.

Vaeri confirmed the rumors I have heard about the Pinis and their diehard fans.  I like their art, I like their writing, but I am not sure I would go out of my way to meet either one of them.  I heard that Wendy in particular is extremely political.

Elfquest may also lack appeal to minorities.  Leetah and the Sun Folk have brown skin, and Cam Triompe and at least one of Suntop's human friends look African, but IMHO the whole series is reflective of my own Anglo culture.

From seeing the people who work with me, I get the impression that Americans are getting away from the written word and are becoming video-oriented.  (I have to go out of my way to watch a video on the Internet.  I never use my aging smartphone to go on the Internet unless it's an emergency.)

Are people still interested in the written word, outside of texting each other by phone?

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 11:31 am

When I saw this thread my first thought was about New Blood and Barry Blair so I experienced nausea.  But I'm all for getting new folks here.  I have no doubt troublemakers will get axed sooner or later depending on their input.

As a matter of fact, "troublemaker" Sorandril got axed while I was still talking to him, so what happened that I didn't realize?

Yes, he was a bore at times, but some of us did their best to integrate him. What will happen to Newbies hitting sore spots?

Btw, I'm only staying because Embala, Trollhammer, Yeee, G0lden and some other cherished folks - EQ has lost its charm ages ago.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm

I understand, Tymber. *hug* I'm a worrier O.o ... in many ways.

New blood can bring change, more trouble ... and more life! Without new blood our little community will fade sooner or later. That's a simple truth.

I was always happy to see a new member show up ... I'll welcome new tribemates as well as possible new old friends.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm

Hmm... Thinking of cleaning, I have been poking myself (not in the wolfrider sense... ) to work on my Storyfirge, as its in a royal shambles. Greymung would send me on a shaper-hunt if he saw it. While, after some thought, I dont feel I need to have much of myself hidden, per se, I do feel like I need to make my own work a bit more presentable and useable by amyone who might be parusing it, so perhaps I should do so under the guise that Im helping the forum out... I seem to be more willing to work on stuff if its affecting others, rather than just myself. Lol.

That all said, Im thinking, bring it on. I think those that might have issues with things we have said or done too much might not stick around or join in the first place, and, more to the point, some amount of disagreement is healthy, in that if everyone is in agreement about something and all have the same info, theres not much discussion to be had. Peoples is peoples, we arent cookies, we are all different and the better for it.

Now... What I need to do to work on myself is delve more into other's efforts. Been really busy IRL and my idle time has not been in good cell coverage areas, but as I clear things from my plate I need to figure out a way to explore more here. Flowers need attention to grow well, so Im told... There arent many flowers underground... Smile

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2021 8:22 am

After reading the thread about the audio movie, I was going to suggest a video fan page (Youtube or otherwise) for the SoC, but the comments would need the time commitment of a moderator.

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am

I am active (sort of) both here and on the official facebook page. While I agree that people censor themselves and each other a lot there to avoid upsetting the powers that be, I've had a lot of interesting discussions there too. I'm sure many of the people there would enjoy this forum. But would we enjoy their input? I'm not sure.

Back to top Go down
IceTooth

IceTooth

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 am

I kind of like this idea. I was more active in the old forum days and only pop in now and then. But to be honest when I do drop by I feel like I hardly know any of the active users. And that's entirely on me for not being an active member. So at least from my point of view, there's been quite a few new people who have joined over the years and that's a good thing.  Cool

However there is a larger part of me that really enjoys that this forum has stayed small and somewhat obscure. I'm on FB but it has become so toxic that I rarely post much anymore. Everyone just seems so upset all the time. It is really a wonderful thing to be able to come here to a place where people are good to each other.

But that being said, my interest in Elfquest is slowing waning as work, marriage and other interests take up most of my time these days. And the questionable quality of the more recent comics isn't helping either. I've been reading EQ for 37 years now and have probably said everything I will ever say about it. Laughing

There are probably plenty of newer fans who could bring some fresh and unique viewpoints so if there's a way to welcome them here, I say go for it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do we need new blood?   Do we need new blood? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do we need new blood?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: All the Many Colors-
Jump to: