Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Comic Value

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TrollHammer

PostSubject: Comic Value   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 pm

I noticed that it seemed like the collectible comic market crashed a few years back, some of our stores closed (well, really we went from 3 stores run from the same guy to 1), and the practice of jacking up the price of unsold comics 30% or more has seemed to disappear. What used to be 4/$1 or 3/$1 "marked" comics are now a flat $1. It used to be Id go in and get a good 6 inch stack if comics to read for $30-50. I dont have a clue what comics and collectibles are valuable anymore. I had some Star Trek action figures Id kept in the boxes, but found they werent even worth full retail price in the box on Ebay.

Anyway, I was going through a box of old comics thwt had been stashed away in a dark dusty place and found some Boris the Bear, some Aircel comics, Goldkey, Continuity... a bunch. Is it even worth looking them up or should I just hand them (appropiate ones like Roger Rabbit and Felix the Cat) over to my 5 year old?

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 am

Instead of looking up their worth on places like ebay, here's what I would do... see if there's any fanbase sites, or any other form of sites for that matter, on any of those comics? Like the old Scrolls had a section for people to post in regards to trading or buying their EQ comics.

People may have posted they're looking for the issues you have? Or might be willing to buy them from you with some negotiating. Maybe that will help?

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Ah, yes, that would work.  I  just figure if their worth above "so much" (and Im not sure what that would be) their worth bartering with to get issues I dont have, and if they are worth less that that their value is in reading and enjoying.  The one I looked up was a He Man #1 thats supposedly $9 on one site if it was in great condition (not sure what condition mine is in, its good, but not mint), and Im on the fence with it: even at $9 is it worth the hassle of shipping, packaging, dealing with sending it off somewhere and trusting it all goes through ok, or is it just as well to keep back for my son for when he is old enough?  $50 and its worth taking to a shop in another city when I am there next time, but $9 probably turns into $3 at a shop, and maybe only in in store credit or something if they are anything like our local shop.

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 pm

We have a comic shop/used bookstore that will accept trade-ins for credit. Do you have anything like that, where you could trade in old comics for credit toward purchases?

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Tue May 05, 2015 5:33 pm

They used to for paperbacks and VHS tapes, but that kind of phased out as they closed their other shops. Now they dont charge much for anything but dont pay much for anything either... they also dont have much stock around.

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I need to find out if they do trade... i finally ah e incentive, maybe?

Just went in to the local comic shop after lunch just because they were next door to each other. A friend hadnt been in there in a while and apparently I hadnt either, as they had moved some stuff around. Id been through their surplus comics before and wasnt really figuring they had anything worth looking for. My firend knows Im into EQ and pointed out the couple of boxes with Elf Quest issues showing on the fronts. I ws trhing to explain that they just make a color copy of a cover of whatever comic was first in alphabetical order years ago (decades?) and thag Id been through them dozens of times... but he reached in and pulled out an EQ comic first try. So of course we had to look through it. At least 100 elf quest comics in great condition.

So of course I got all the Rebels and Jink I could find, as well as the summer special 9.5 and the one with Picknose taking New Moon from Cutter... but there's still half a box left and Im tempted to get them...

So tempted...

At $1 a comic its not great, but not bad either, making things worse.

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Comic Value   Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Keep in mind, a comic store will never even give you CLOSE to what a comic is worth. For example, if you have a $300 value comic, they will typically offer between $50 to $100 for it (if that). Over all, most comics have plummeted to worthless value (to a comic store, financially) with the rare exceptions (like obvious the original X-Men #1, Walking Dead #1, Avengers #1, first appearance of characters like Gambit, or especially Deadpool)... so don't expect much.

A good place to get a general worth (because they tend to have everything, and various "grades" of comics) - http://mycomicshop.com/

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Comic Value
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1