Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Elfquest Dolling Thread

Go down 
+20
MrsGrizzley
Davrille
Leanan
thetrappedartist
Beryl
G0lden
Vaeri
Nightsea
wolfmoonsky
Shadowpath
Tymber
sun girl
Startear
ErinC1978
Fairyring
PCoquelin
Kindredsoul
Tam
ChristinaRaibert
TrollHammer
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Nightsea

Nightsea

Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 1:56 pm

An image of Sunstream (PC, CR...hope you like!): Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Sunstreamunderwater
Male Mermaid Maker

Of course, Tymber! They are YOUR characters...it goes without saying that if I make an image for you, you may post it elsewhere to your heart's content and I'm always happy that you like it enough to share!

*giant smiles*
--Nightsea

Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Not looking like him, in my eyes.

Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 PC822_SunstreamWishesAv

Anyway, thanks for the intent !

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 10:59 pm

PCoquelin wrote:
Not looking like him, in my eyes.
Anyway, thanks for the intent !

Heh. Weird. I see it as Sunstream. Granted, he looks a little more human (but that's because the size of his body is more in portion to what humans would be compared to ElfQuest elves who have compacted chests and bigger heads)... But I think she nailed the hair... even the finger and toe count are correct!
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Nightsea wrote:
Since I read a lovely comment about some of my "art" in the Stonehowl thread, I was inspired to make a new doll of Tymber's character Stream:
And one of Tymber's Starmane also:
--Nightsea

Uploaded:
http://tawmis.com/stonehowl/starmane_character.html
http://tawmis.com/stonehowl/stream_character.html

Again, thank you so much. You honor me by taking precious time out of your life to make my characters come to life.
Back to top Go down
Fairyring

Fairyring

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 11:10 am

Nightsea wrote:
An image of Sunstream (PC, CR...hope you like!): Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Sunstreamunderwater
Male Mermaid Maker

He doesn't really look like sunstream...but like half Sunstream and half (a big, muscular) human to me! Smile Nicely done!

By the way, what is he about to do with the starfish?  Razz

Very lightly step around,
Tip-Toe as you pass,
Last night Fairies frolicked there
And they're sleeping somewhere near.

~
Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 11:44 am

Yeah, this base isn't perfect for the elfin form, to be sure!  I just did my best to make Sunstream out of it because #1) I found the "see thru" clothing options in that maker to be just perfect for Sunstream
and #2) I know CR and PC here both like this character very much and #3) I haven't tried to doll him much.   I did my best on the hair, fingers and cheekbones to improve the resemblance.  I agree it isn't
a perfect likeness, of course.

But dolling isn't an exact science. If I could just draw things myself, if I could mimic Wendy's art without flaw...ahhh...we can dream in technicolor, right?  lol

Anyhow, sometimes I do find a base body that is closer in form.

Tymber, what did you think of this rendering of what is supposed to be your character Shadow:
Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Shadowonheromachinebase

I took the description for colors and his outfit from source material you had elsewhere as I recall.
His base body came from Heromachine and his face is Cutter edited and resized.

I can take feedback, alter images further.  I don't mind.  I like to do my best to get something
that makes others happy as well as something I find personally pleasing.  I work online with
software that has some fun options, but again...I'm a doller...not working with my own original
art so there are some limits to my skill, the software and warping one style of art into another.

I'd make more of your characters for you, Tymber, if you wished.  Work collaboratively if you like.
I'll submit some images, you give your ideas...we'll play around with getting more faces or looks
for your tribe if you might enjoy that.  Or, even more fun might be if you tried to doll some for
yourself.  Try the doll makers, see what outfits or poses there are...it can be really interesting
to just "design" a visual image for someone that is only text or ideas in your head.

I love getting others hooked on dolling EQ style.  
Hehehe,
--NS

PS: The starfish is just being inspected...I'm sure it's safe! Wink
Back to top Go down
Fairyring

Fairyring

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm

The Centaur Maker Game is really fun...here's how my family turned out Laughing

Strongshield, Fairyring and Breeze...

Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Family11

Tip-Toe as you pass,

~
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 30, 2015 2:28 am

Nightsea wrote:

Tymber, what did you think of this rendering of what is supposed to be your character Shadow:
Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Shadowonheromachinebase
I took the description for colors and his outfit from source material you had elsewhere as I recall. His base body came from Heromachine and his face is Cutter edited and resized.

I love it! I added it to the site:
http://tawmis.com/stonehowl/shadow_character.html

It's fitting that he has "Cutter's head" - he does have quite a few similarities to Cutter in the Stonehowl Story. (Most recently seeing Wildthorn and Purebreeze when near death; when Cutter saw Bearclaw near death...) Then in the Stonehowl story, it's Shadow who leads elves to the Palace.

Nightsea wrote:

I can take feedback, alter images further.  I don't mind.  I like to do my best to get something that makes others happy as well as something I find personally pleasing.  I work online with software that has some fun options, but again...I'm a doller...not working with my own original art so there are some limits to my skill, the software and warping one style of art into another.

I'd make more of your characters for you, Tymber, if you wished.  Work collaboratively if you like. I'll submit some images, you give your ideas...we'll play around with getting more faces or looks for your tribe if you might enjoy that.  Or, even more fun might be if you tried to doll some for yourself.  Try the doll makers, see what outfits or poses there are...it can be really interesting to just "design" a visual image for someone that is only text or ideas in your head.

I would be honored! The amazing thing is - sometimes, someone's done art for me for Stonehowl - and it differs than how I envisioned them - but often times, I turn around and shape it towards how the art submission looks! For example, when bukittyan (are they on this forum too?) did the images for Vineweaver and Stillbreeze (especially Stillbreeze) - I absolutely fell in love with the visual. Not only that, the submission of art - aside from making me love the characters much more - made me thrust them into the story more. There's a portion when Shadow loses his mind - and it's Stillbreeze who steps up to be Chieftess for a bit - simply because of those photos! So, if you create something how you envisioned it - you'd be surprised, I bet it changes my own view of my own characters - and makes me love them more! (Although in the recent story, a lot of them did perish! Though life was tough as a Wolfrider - the poor elves in my stories have some seriously bad luck when it comes to trying to live!)
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptySun May 31, 2015 8:20 am

@PCoquelin Thank you for all valuable help with the links to the original dolling threads on the old SoC, to dolling sites and dollmaker games. *bows* And for the glimpse on the variety of non-virtual EQ dolls - Kahvi in carefully worked armor and weapons, beautiful Nightfall in traditional leathers and this cute knitted couple of our "old married" - Redlance and Nightfall.

I'm happy to see the tektek dollz show again you've made for your lost loved one, PCoquelin. Those cute-badass Drow elves have their own appeal and are very carefully chosen - lots of detail in outfit, background theme-related additions. In memoriam.

@Tam Thank you for opening a thread for the Dollers here. *hugs* It's a completation for me even when I know there's katcombs'  Dolling forum next door.

Your centaur version of Badger, Mistblossom and Moonblade filly is adorably cute, Tam. I like how you've captured their color scheme, the flowers of the treeshaper and the braided tail is such a neat addition.

@ChristinaRaibert I wish I'd have taken to time to comment while you were around and active filling this thread with pretties! Mainly a special beauty :brill: ... what a surprise! Wink

Brill's visit at SorrowsEnd would have been spectacular. I love your creative use of dollmaker items to create appropriate ears and fins the "simple" ^^ way!
Dark Fairy Brill turned out surprisingly fitting - almost a variation of the intro of Wavedanders #1.
She's so elfquesty on the Magical Elf maker. Kudos for the pearl adornements and laborious headpiece, Christina ... it adds the right vibe.
Goddess Brill is an alluring beauty, once again your way to add ears and fins fits perfectly. Of course there must be Korafay floating free and curious at her side. Last not least proud aunt Krill - slightly mor elegant as used to. This skirt is actually something I could see for her in the Palace!
Cute Heroine with an abundance of pearls ... and another charming mermaid with fantastic headpiece and webbed ears ... Brill is everywhere. Wink
Erté Brill - so delicate. You've chosen well on her clothing ... the "pearl sleeve" is an elegant completation. I see Sunstream's new flower gift ... and she's sending to her mate.

Yeah for lifemates! The Holt scene made me chuckles ... looks like Sunstream needs to be very patient when Brill insists on exploring more! In the Palace ... she really belongs there - for a love dance. Just the right look for Sunstream - modified due to to the props of the makers but absolutely his style.

You've covered the twin theme wonderfully on the Tarot card. I love you Similarities and differrences beautifully illustrated - Brill's headpiece and Krill's collar are excellent.
I'm so glad you got the Brill/Sunstream couple in time, Christina. *hugs*
And you got Kroosh to pair up with shy Minnow by Nightsea! Fishy

Dolling nostalgia! Gaian Brill is a cutie - she has all she needs. All ... besides Sunstream. *huggles sad cutie*
And a slender proud beauty in ravishing red with a carefully designed headpiece again.

Now for the shoal ^^ ... those dollz are so tiny and detailed, Christina. Looks like a combination of base, pixel work and free coloring. Chosen poses very much in character. Outfits and adornements carefully designed. Great hair - floating and lively shaded.  
Brill and Farbright are beauties of the seas. Haze is watching for landers to protect his loved ones - supported by Krill. Moonmirror is a huggable darling and Longfin stands regal. Pregnant Sandsparkle with Skimback in protective mode and teasing jester Spine. Oh, he's SO in cahracter! As is Spray ... her pose is so  cover girl. ^^
Surpise - there's Cutter! Totally chief mode with his fur vest. Excellently done!

Last not least a new-old unknown one. Strangely his name sounds familiar to me. The way you've described his personality and the vibe showing in the picture ... you have captured his essence, I think.

I hope you'll come back and join us in discussion, art and playing when you time and mood will allow again. Take care and be well, dear friend.

@Nightsea Thank you for being here as well, Nightsea. You were always and are an inspiration for others to doll.

Great take on Kroosh! You've made a wonderful male "base" for the Tarot. I love how you've shaded the skin and worked out muscles and facial features.*chukles at the fish bones* He goes very harmonic with the female base.

Fun suggestion for the game card. Very Happy I love the duality and the humorous approach. Glad you've added the "clean" original dolling art - Island Nightsea is eye candy.

Stonehowl is Nightsea bait! *claps* Stream looks so delicate and dreamy. Fair friendly colors and sheer fabrics suit her ... I could image her this way in the Palace. Almost fragile. I like that you've hinted her magical power. Starrmane is a beauty ... floating like the spirit she is ...
Mesmerizing green eyes for Shadow! I love the color sheme for his duds - just black and brown and grey fur. The head-body fusion is flawless.
Please continue this awesome work and bring more Stonehowl characters to visible life, Nightsea!

Your mermaid Sunstream makes me think of a spontanous visit ... and an eager jump into the water without waiting for maical transformation. ^^ As usual you have taken time for careful ear and finger/toe edits - flawless.

@Fairyring You are right - Sunstram looks like a more human version of his elfy self. That's the point with dolling ... you rarely get the real look but an impression, a variation that is good enough to capture the character. And you can do it without being a traditional picture artist. I've developed my own pov on it - not going for major similarity but for: How would he/she look in this fictional world / area? It's another kind of fun ...Very Happy

You've got the principle! Chosing the Centaur maker for the first dolling ensemble of your elfin family proves. Strongshield purblish blue and gold goes well with Fairyring in shades of pink. Pink/red and flowers - you should draw her in this variant outfit. (Must look very much like you. ^^). And Breeze ... he's so your little one I love you
They turned out adorably, Fairyring. Welcome to the Dollers. sunny

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptySun May 31, 2015 3:52 pm

Embala wrote:

@Nightsea
Stonehowl is Nightsea bait! *claps* Stream looks so delicate and dreamy. Fair friendly colors and sheer fabrics suit her ... I could image her this way in the Palace. Almost fragile. I like that you've hinted her magical power. Starrmane is a beauty ... floating like the spirit she is ...
Mesmerizing green eyes for Shadow! I love the color sheme for his duds - just black and brown and grey fur. The head-body fusion is flawless.
Please continue this awesome work and bring more Stonehowl characters to visible life, Nightsea!

Yes! It's quite amazing!

(And I feel so absolutely honored!)
Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Yep, Stonehowl is dolling material for sure:
http://elvenholt.twilightlegend.net/t64-stonehowl-dollz

I made 2 new ones as a guess about Snowcloud, a character in the last grab bag story by Tymber.

I do PLAN to post in my own thread about the character Nightsea a continuation of her recognition story that will now be for both May and June's submissions. Ahh...to have time to write takes me longer than to doll, so please be patient folks and I'll try not to miss this deadline too! lol

--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Nightsea wrote:
Yep, Stonehowl is dolling material for sure:
http://elvenholt.twilightlegend.net/t64-stonehowl-dollz

I made 2 new ones as a guess about Snowcloud, a character in the last grab bag story by Tymber.

I do PLAN to post in my own thread about the character Nightsea a continuation of her recognition story that will now be for both May and June's submissions.  Ahh...to have time to write takes me longer than to doll, so please be patient folks and I'll try not to miss this deadline too!  lol

--Nightsea

I love these of Snowcloud! See, that's sure to get her more airtime! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fairyring

Fairyring

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 2:23 pm

@ Embala: I agree with you about the dolling fun. That is the point of dolling, isn't it? To see the similarity...and your pint of view with different areas is also so much fun because you never know what you get if you haven`t seen it before! Smile

Thank you for liking my little Centaur family! I really love my husbands' colors and the fact that our son looks almost like a little version of his father! He has blue eyes but his hair has a reddish undertone...and I thought my black hair would be dominant. It was a surprise to me. Laughing As for me - I will definitely try a new version of Fairyring...

Tip-Toe as you pass,

~
Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Embala said: "Fairyring in shades of pink. Pink/red and flowers - you should draw her in this variant outfit. (Must look very much like you. ^^)."

@Fairyring: I hope you'll find time to give us a doll of Fairyring.  I'd love to try her myself too sometime.
You don't mind if others doll her, do you?  Do you have a place where you show art of her or have a character description?

As Tynami said before, we used to gather such things in threads for the characters just so people who wanted to see them could do so and also as references in case other talented folks wanted to write, draw or doll them too.

I have threads now for all 5 of my main cast and also the Stonehowl holt dollz on Ty's forum under my Gallery (see the name Nightsea and click on it below the regular thread forum or follow this link: Nightsea's Characters & Dolls for others ).

Yay Dollz!
--NS
Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Ok, so I made a base out of heromachine options...use if you like and let me see the results:
Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Femaleelfbodybasefromheromachineedited1 Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Femaleelfbodybasefromheromachineedited2
--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Oooh! I like those bases!

Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks...I posted them at the doller's forum too. I continue to focus my dollz there, so I hope you'll join us if you have an interest. At least come peek!

Smile
--NS
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:46 pm

The bases are tempting, Nightsea ... wish the muse and the energy for "handmade" dollz would meet time.

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Ok, here are my attempts at dollz of Fairyring:
Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 FairyringPixiedoll1pixie baseElfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 FairyringRPGbasedoll1RPG baseElfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Fairyringfdoll(maybe a younger version with alternate outfit)

Created a thread for Dollz of Other Elf Friends at the official EDA forum too.
--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Adorably cute pixie Fairyring. I love you She really fits in this environment. I love the edits you did on the RPG doll, Nightsea - Fairyring's top got just the right slit and the typical feathers. A fitting variation, again with lovely feathers. The top is very much Fairyring's style and pants can be practical.

I love your take on her! @Fairyring - come in and take a look on your beautiful girl! sunny

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 2:29 pm

I like!!!!

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Ok, while I know these bases don't capture the male elves' body styles all that well I couldn't help but play around with some fun what-ifs, as in, what if these guys went Wavedancer?

Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 SkywisefloatingElfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 RayekfloatingElfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Cutterfloats

Just silly fun on the merman base from azaleasdolls.com
--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 3:59 pm

I absolutely buy this, Nightsea!*claps*

There's one thing I had to learn when I was introduced to dolling. For me there are basically two ways to do a good job:
1. Make/find a fitting base and do your best to catch the look perfectly - overall and in detail.
2. Take a random, think "How would the char look in this time/culture/fandom?" and capture the essence.

You've play well with the Wavedancer tribe swap - and you've totally captured the essence. The color schemes and hairdos are spot on, of course.
Skywise got the headpiece star, the Loadstone - neat solution, wrist bands ... and his smirk. Skywise Wink
Rayek got wirst bands too, a radially neckpiece and his haughty attitude. Rayek Completze with cape!
Last not least Cutter wearing a "traditional" vest ^^, complete with chief's knot and fashion statement. Cutter Smile Fab! And I just love that you've used scaled skin to mimic his pants!

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks, Embala for your sharp-eyed feedback!  I always love your comments as they let me know just how keenly you observe my dolling efforts.  

I think there are as many ways and reasons to doll as there are EQ fans.  Everyone can get something out of it if they want to I bet.  Making your own character(s) come to life, seeing how doll makers work, programing and art skills...all are aspects of dolling too.  You can pick your "bases" or starter art with an eye for finding the closest matches to Wendy's images...but it's hard to find.  I wanted to do that when I first began dolling, but soon decided I'd just have fun in other ways instead.  Getting things "exact" I usually reserve for the fingers, toes and ears...I like them to be EQ elves!

Meanwhile I doll just to relax a bit.  I like to push the pixels around the screen, recolor things...
I find it soothing in some way to take an image and just mess it around until it is more of what I made it turn into rather than just the options I was allowed at the time.  When dollmakers have cool features and drag and drop items it is similar...I can play.

So here's my latest image...it is entirely just because I realized I had 3 out of 4 seasons represented in my Stonehowl thread (see the last post at that link for the full set!).  

I used the Viking base and finished a new character out of the Stonehowl list for summer...here's my made up version of Clouddreamer:
Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Clouddreamersummer
Officially according to Tymber's site she is:
female, tanner, Auburn Hair, Green Eyes, Deceased

I decided...she'd like Moonshade's color scheme and have a penchant for wraps or strips of hides or clothing...even her hair in braids.  I gave her the necklace as a nod to Moonshade's dead daughter Crescent and thought she'd be a bit like that character would have been if she had lived.

She hasn't been used in a Grab bag as far as I know...but maybe this image will inspire a Stonehowl
flashback? (There are an awful lot of dead characters in his tribe!)  

--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 pm

You know that's what is going to happen! I wouldn't be surprised if this image inspires for this month's grab bag, which I have not written yet! Smile

She's only been in the story, once - as a flashback - way back in 2009, and had one line. Mostly was created just as Foxhair's parents (since Foxhair was a major character).

http://www.tawmis.com/stonehowl/feb2009.html

Heh - and there ARE a lot of dead tribe members in my story! Mostly because, when I create these characters, I typically already have their parents lined up - even if they're not in the story - I know, in a flash back who their parents are and I can reference them. And a lot of characters recently perished (when I came back to doing these grab bags here after my hiatus/departure from the official EQ site) because I honestly couldn't remember a lot of characters - so did a "clean slate" thing by writing a story that involved a lot of them dying!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elfquest Dolling Thread   Elfquest Dolling Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Elfquest Dolling Thread
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next