Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:02 pm

cathat Hug cathat Hug cathat I'm so sorry Embala Sad

Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Hug Thank you, Nibblet. I'll goo to bed. Maybe it will be nothing more than a bad dream tomorrow. cathat

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Oops!

Opps? ... Question WTH ... your pictures are gone, too!

@Nibblet What is going on here?

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Sorry, I just realzed that you must have linked to my photobucket. *hugs*

I'm too tired to think. I need to go to bed.

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm

I used the link to your photobucket when you gave me the images. I didn't host them myself, I just copied the link. I think most people did that from the looks of things! Hopefully it is just a glitch and it will sort itself out soon *hugs*

Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:30 pm

I've figured - a bit late. Simultanous post XD

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 am

Dang, Embala-- that sucks!

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:54 am

Danish news I wish you'd stop wasting time telling me how the old, ugly, racist, disgusting, misogynist, 'I'd use nukes on Europe' rapist with fugly hair is doing in his attempt to become a president. Rolling Eyes

'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:36 am

Everything seems ok now, Em. I hope it stays this way!

Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

There's this facebook group I'm in (it's in Finnish), that's for people sharing their own humorous fails at cooking, crafts, basically anything they made a mess of, a mix of humor and peer support. Recently someone posted a well-travelled urban legend/joke (thieves steal a huge bag of bodily waste that's been packed inside a cardboard box that originally contained a TV). I commented on the post saying the story had been in joke books decades ago. Some people made replies along the lines of 'do you get kicks for ruining the joke?' so I replied with reminding them the group was meant for true stories. Usually this is a nice group to be in but I got further chewed up, including a comment stating that someone was 'laughing screaming at me for failing in the failure group'... I did get a bunch of likes too, but I feel a tad miffed anyways.

Read 'Beyond Mere Flight' - click here!
Skywise Wink thanks to Embala for the banner! Kahvi )
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:14 pm

@Nibblet wrote:
Everything seems ok now, Em. I hope it stays this way!
NOW I can see my pictures again! *sigh of relief*

It really gets on my nerves when things like this happen - especially when it accidentally corresponds with certain time patterns. Suddenly noticed that I was unconciously expecting some "virtual catastrophy" around this date. ... Guess I need to do some trauma fighting.

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

@Shadowpath wrote:
Danish news I wish you'd stop wasting time telling me how the old, ugly, racist, disgusting, misogynist, 'I'd use nukes on Europe' rapist with fugly hair is doing in his attempt to become a president. Rolling Eyes

Maybe it's to hide how fucked up this country is...
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:45 pm

They're not doing a very good job at it.

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Tue May 17, 2016 8:46 am

*Narrows eyes*
I have my doubts that my nation is doing this because it’s reached some greater understanding or trying to be decent towards others.

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Sun May 22, 2016 6:19 am

Alright, Alright! I get it. It can be a bit confusing/impractical that when you click free now on the laundry-booking-thingy at around 10:50 a machine that has been booked from 11:00 is still listed as free, even if you obviously won't be able to actually start it, because it won't be able to be done before it's the turn of the person who booked it.
However, one thing I don't get is why the fuck you would fill the machine with your own - potentially nasty, stinky perfumated - detergent, and then just leave! From the moment I realised what had happened I actually waited around for a bit to see if you would come back, so I could tell you of your - I'm assuming - honest mistake. Well, you never showed. So I cleaned away your detergent, put in my own, and started the machine as was my right to do the entire time.
I even went back down to see if you'd turn up... nope.
Am I sorry you've lost a portion of detergent? Nope!
Back to top Go down
Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Has anyone else seen the drama underway on the EQ fans FB page? A fan messaged Wendy requesting that she grant an interview to the woman's 17 year-old daughter. The young woman was doing a school report on Wendy's career, but she didn't have time to research it so she wanted to just ask questions of Wendy directly. The turn-around time on the interview...was about 24 hours. The whole scenario was ludicrous and, at first blush, looked like helicopter-parenting at its worst.

Wendy and Richard have both stated, repeatedly, that they do not want to be tagged in FB posts, nor do they want to be contacted directly by fans seeking favors or advice. It looks like Wendy snapped when she received this mom's message. But rather than simply delete the message, or reply with a simple "no", she decided to post it to the fan page, with the sender's name redacted, as a sort of object lesson in what not to do. That's when the knives came out. Insults are still flying fast and fierce, condemning the sender, her parenting, and her presumably lazy and entitled daughter.

The sender recognized her message, and she was mortified. She's apologized repeatedly, and it turns out there's more to the story than anyone knew. Her daughter has terminal cancer. Her delay in getting to the research project was due to her severe reaction to treatment. The mom sounds like she's been to hell and back, and this is one more degrading incident on top of years of suffering. It seems pretty clear that her very sick daughter asked her for help, and she just fired a message off to Wendy without even thinking too hard about it. It wasn't the right thing to do, but given the circumstances, it's totally understandable.

A wonderful man I used to work with loved the saying, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." That's the thing about the internet. The person on the other side of the screen is difficult to imagine. It's hard to have empathy for a thumbnail or a screen-name. People shoot first and ask questions later. Folks on the FB page are still piling on this woman, even after she explained the situation and asked both Wendy and the fandom's forgiveness (the latter of should not even come into the equation--the issue was between her and Wendy.)

Who knows what kind of day Wendy was having when she decided to cart this woman out for public stoning. Maybe this was the 10th unreasonable request of the day, and she just flipped. There was a lack of circumspection all around. Wendy herself still hasn't acknowledged that she overreacted and instigated a lot of viciousness towards this woman. In fact, she threatened to stop interacting with fandom, prompting lots of praise and coddling. I wish she would just go private on FB, once and for all. The accessibility doesn't seem to be very productive, and it brings out the worst in a lot of fans who want to curry favor with her and Richard by being vicious to anyone who "steps out of line." There's a lot of weird policing that happens in that FB group, as though folks think W&R might show up and give them a gold star. Some people even frame their bullying in EQ terms, like the bottom wolf in the pack deserves to be roughed up from time to time. It would be funny if it weren't so ugly and sad.

People can be plenty annoying and nasty in person, and if anything, the internet often makes things worse.

On a positive note, thanks to all the folks here for being a pleasure to interact with. No one else in my life reads EQ, so it's a real treat to connect with other fans without having to put on a performance.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 12:49 pm

@Wisp wrote:
Has anyone else seen the drama underway on the EQ fans FB page?  A fan messaged Wendy requesting that she grant an interview to the woman's 17 year-old daughter.  The young woman was doing a school report on Wendy's career, but she didn't have time to research it so she wanted to just ask questions of Wendy directly.  The turn-around time on the interview...was about 24 hours.  The whole scenario was ludicrous and, at first blush, looked like helicopter-parenting at its worst.

Wendy and Richard have both stated, repeatedly, that they do not want to be tagged in FB posts, nor do they want to be contacted directly by fans seeking favors or advice.  It looks like Wendy snapped when she received this mom's message.  But rather than simply delete the message, or reply with a simple "no", she decided to post it to the fan page, with the sender's name redacted, as a sort of object lesson in what not to do.  That's when the knives came out.  Insults are still flying fast and fierce, condemning the sender, her parenting, and her presumably lazy and entitled daughter.

The sender recognized her message, and she was mortified.  She's apologized repeatedly, and it turns out there's more to the story than anyone knew. Her daughter has terminal cancer.  Her delay in getting to the research project was due to her severe reaction to treatment.  The mom sounds like she's been to hell and back, and this is one more degrading incident on top of years of suffering.  It seems pretty clear that her very sick daughter asked her for help, and she just fired a message off to Wendy without even thinking too hard about it.  It wasn't the right thing to do, but given the circumstances, it's totally understandable.  

A wonderful man I used to work with loved the saying, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."  That's the thing about the internet.  The person on the other side of the screen is difficult to imagine.  It's hard to have empathy for a thumbnail or a screen-name.  People shoot first and ask questions later.  Folks on the FB page are still piling on this woman, even after she explained the situation and asked both Wendy and the fandom's forgiveness (the latter of should not even come into the equation--the issue was between her and Wendy.)  

Who knows what kind of day Wendy was having when she decided to cart this woman out for public stoning.  Maybe this was the 10th unreasonable request of the day, and she just flipped.  There was a lack of circumspection all around.  Wendy herself still hasn't acknowledged that she overreacted and instigated a lot of viciousness towards this woman.  In fact, she threatened to stop interacting with fandom, prompting lots of praise and coddling.  I wish she would just go private on FB, once and for all.  The accessibility doesn't seem to be very productive, and it brings out the worst in a lot of fans who want to curry favor with her and Richard by being vicious to anyone who "steps out of line."  There's a lot of weird policing that happens in that FB group, as though folks think W&R might show up and give them a gold star.  Some people even frame their bullying in EQ terms, like the bottom wolf in the pack deserves to be roughed up from time to time.  It would be funny if it weren't so ugly and sad.

People can be plenty annoying and nasty in person, and if anything, the internet often makes things worse.  

On a positive note, thanks to all the folks here for being a pleasure to interact with.  No one else in my life reads EQ, so it's a real treat to connect with other fans without having to put on a performance.
Do you have any links to that?
Screenshots? 
I've been to facebook today and I can't see any of it?
It doesn't seem to matter what kind of day Wendy is having. She's an ass.

Back to top Go down
Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Hmmm...it's the top item for me on the Elfquestfans page after the pinned guidelines.  I'm not sure how to link directly to the post by Wendy Figured it out (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElfquestFans/permalink/10153947646614130/), this is what it says:

Quote :
Remember my post the other day about people messaging me asking favors? Some of you smartasses posted comments like, "Hi. Can you write my essay on Elfquest? It's due tomorrow." Well, smartasses, I just received THIS as a private message. The name has been withheld, but if this isn't a hoax, it's typical. Herewith the text:

"Greetings, Wendy!

My daughter is trying to write an essay about you and is having difficulty finding the sources that she needs for her references. As a 17-year-old, she has procrastinated, and needs to have it done by 5:00 tomorrow evening.

Would you be available or willing to do a brief interview with her? It could be done via IM or telephone. However, she is not FB friends with you and would need to be able to either friend you or use my IM.

Overview: (Daughter's name) is a fan of yours, but not just for your talent. Her essay is about how you introduced the graphic novel to the US, as well as your achievements as a woman in the field of fantasy.

Please let me know if you can do this. I know that you have been very busy. Thank you!"

UPDATE AND CLARIFICATION: Had I been given the courtesy of a much longer time frame, this reaction wouldn't have happened. It's the "she procrastinated so can we do this by 5 tomorrow" that blew my top.

There are currently 69 comments beneath that, some of which are from the woman who sent the message to Wendy originally.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 1:07 pm

@Wisp wrote:
Hmmm...it's the top item for me on the Elfquestfans page after the pinned guidelines.  I'm not sure how to link directly to the post by Wendy, but this is what it says:

Quote :
Remember my post the other day about people messaging me asking favors? Some of you smartasses posted comments like, "Hi. Can you write my essay on Elfquest? It's due tomorrow." Well, smartasses, I just received THIS as a private message. The name has been withheld, but if this isn't a hoax, it's typical. Herewith the text:

"Greetings, Wendy!

My daughter is trying to write an essay about you and is having difficulty finding the sources that she needs for her references. As a 17-year-old, she has procrastinated, and needs to have it done by 5:00 tomorrow evening.

Would you be available or willing to do a brief interview with her? It could be done via IM or telephone. However, she is not FB friends with you and would need to be able to either friend you or use my IM.

Overview: (Daughter's name) is a fan of yours, but not just for your talent. Her essay is about how you introduced the graphic novel to the US, as well as your achievements as a woman in the field of fantasy.

Please let me know if you can do this. I know that you have been very busy. Thank you!"

UPDATE AND CLARIFICATION: Had I been given the courtesy of a much longer time frame, this reaction wouldn't have happened. It's the "she procrastinated so can we do this by 5 tomorrow" that blew my top.

There are currently 69 comments beneath that, some of which are from the woman who sent the message to Wendy originally.
Ohhh I get it! It's this page!

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 1:11 pm

'courtesy levels might go up'
Pfffffffffffffff.

' asking a busy artist'
she's not busy with her comic, she's constantly spewing bullshit. 

Back to top Go down
Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 1:49 pm

I do and I don't understand how she handled it.

On the one hand, I get that she must be bombarded with random requests from fans, but as long as she makes herself accessible (i.e. as long as people have to ability to contact her directly) that's not going away. It doesn't matter how many times she asks people not to do. People either won't listen, or don't know that she doesn't welcome contact. Complaining about it is not going to prevent it from happening.

But she's human, so she gets annoyed, and then this message comes in and it's patently absurd. This mom wants her to give an interview to a 17 year-old so that the kid doesn't have to spend a few hours doing internet research? And the paper is due tomorrow?? It's ludicrous. So she posts it as a particularly egregious example.

She goes to sleep on it. In the morning, all this nastiness has gone down, the woman who sent the original message has apologized, she's going through some terrible stuff. Her initial request looks less like entitlement and more like a woman who was too stressed and terrified to think through her request rationally. Wouldn't you look at those posts and think, "oh man. I wish I'd picked one of the other dozen requests to single out as a bad example. I thought this woman was just a selfish jerk, but there's more going on with her than I knew." And at that point, don't you offer a pardon? I think she realized she's slightly in the wrong--that's why she asked the moderators to close the comments. But her "last word" on the matter is so defensive.

I think it's important for people to recognize when there's a power deferential at play. Most of the people who participate on that page are desperate for Wendy's attention and approval. So when she singles an individual out for criticism, the whole group turns on them too--the harsher their censure, the better Wendy will think of them. It's like a bunch of kids trying to get on the good side of the most popular girl in class. I just don't think Wendy has a good handle on the power she has over some fans. Maybe she's too modest, or maybe she doesn't care to think about it too much. I really don't know. The whole situation just....made me really sad for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm

*Shakes head*
I've have heard about the other fuck ups they done over the last two years (I think it's two years?) to keep think it's just 'ups she's think ahead' or whatever.
I don't believe she ever thinks she's in the wrong. Thread's likely closed because she doesn't want any more notifications from it.

Hun er en berettiget røv, der har en lille hær af rabiate hunde til at bakke hende op.

Back to top Go down
Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Oh man, is that last a legit Danish proverb? Because there are lots of public figures that applies to perfectly....
Back to top Go down
Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 5:02 pm

That was my first time visiting that group page, and the first post I saw, and I was amazed. Maybe neither the woman or Wendy used the best judgement in their actions, but the aggressiveness of the responses...as Wisp said, it just made me sad. Social media could be such a force for good, instead of a way to vent our baser natures.

And the fact that I thought EQ kind of represented better ideals makes it feel that much worse that these fans would find it acceptable behavior.

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Rant Away Please   Thu May 26, 2016 10:34 pm

*hugs* I feel with you, Outlier. I feel like you. Hug

Rant Away Please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next