Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Delayed/Cancelled Recognition

Go down 
+13
manga
kathleen3.0
wingthing
Vaeri
Miss Gillespie
Outlier
Leanan
TrollHammer
Blackbird
faeriegirl
Tymber
Merelf
Embala
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 4:24 am

manga wrote:
I don't get that bit about waiting as long as Leetah did. Leetah was barely a stripling as her people counted it. She hardly waited at all. (Aside from the fact she seemed to be actively avoiding it.)

She still waited 600 years.
Besides; I think she was very much counted as an adult, after all part of her job describtion - ever since she was a teen - was basically get people laid.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 12:43 pm

She didn't really "wait" did she? She just didn't recognize anyone in the village. When she did recognize Cutter, things happened pretty quickly-- even though she resisted. It couldn't have been more than a few months.

Multimedea

Multimedea

Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 6:53 pm

kathleen3.0 wrote:
Hence it would be extremely unlikely for WRP to spend much time on how this affects Dewshine. Also, while it would be interesting, it would detract from the speed in which they're telling the story.

However, this is making me wonder how many characters became lifemates because of the societal impetus. For example, what if Rayek had told Leetah, "It doesn't matter if the child you bear has white hair and weird ass pale skin, or your beautiful auburn hair and green eyes, I'll love it, because it will be part of you"? And did Moonshade even like Strongbow to begin with, or did they become lifemates because it was "The Way"? What about Clearbrook and One Eye? Would Joyleaf and Bearclaw have made up permanently if not for the hormonal overdose? Do Toorah and Anatim love each other at all, or is it just habitual at this point?

And if elves could originally only reproduce through Recognition, why do they even have sex the rest of the time? Is it social bonding, bonobo style? Or habit?

Honestly, I think that number is 0.01. And I only put in the point zero one because Winnie maybe kinda sorta used more than her feminine wiles to hold onto Voll for so long. There isn't a 'societal impetus' for elves to either begin or maintain a lifemating of any length because, frankly, elfin societies don't work that way (even the crappier ones.) There are no physical/ emotional/ legal/ psychological / societal pressures that any outside force or situation can bring to bear on any couple to either compel or guilt them into staying together. Elf lifemating and human marriage just are not the same states at all. For several reasons, but the two most compelling are thus:

1] Elf consciousness (spirit/soul) does not 'die'. When beings can exist with seeming infinite consciousness and apparent infinite physical age, it can't help but reflect on their views on 'togetherness' in comparison to more finite species.

2] An elf conscious can directly and demonstratively interact (bond) with another elf conscious. And with that (ongoing, life-long knowledge) they can make informed decision whether that other conscious fits with their own.

Multimedea

Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Lunakat wrote:
She didn't really "wait" did she? She just didn't recognize anyone in the village. When she did recognize Cutter, things happened pretty quickly-- even though she resisted. It couldn't have been more than a few months.

Basically, what you said, Luna. But I think the question is really two-part though it's being mistaken as one: she didn't need to wait for Recognition to become pregnant if she wanted to; I'm sure she knew she had the ability to become so at any time. I think she did 'wait' on the Recognition lottery like so many others, but was hoping her number didn't come up for quite some time. Very Happy

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 12:55 am

Leetah likely didn't want to Recognize because she was petrified of things out of her control. And until recently, nothing could control Recognition.

Although I don't think Rayek was any help in that matter. Remember how she fled when she and Rayek had their first time, after he begged for Recognition and yelled "Why do you hold back?! You are MINE!"

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Just an alternativ reason Dewshine being upset with Ember and Teir denying their Recognition.

Instead of it being a case of Hey! I didn't have that option when I recognized someone I really didn't like, whereas you two love each other.

It might instead be due to Oi! I didn't get the chance to spoil my grandson rotten when he was growing up, because I probably was in wrapstuff for most of the time. Now you're denying me to chance to get a great-grandcub to spoil?!

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I can't believe Dewshine would be that petty.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:58 am

It's not pettyness. It's coz she wanna spoil the baby rotten! Dewshine

I really don't think Dewshine minds that Ember and Teir are waiting, in fact I think she is very happy for them that they have the opportunity to do so, just as she was over the moons when Scouter and Tyleet recognized.
Honestly, though... for that exact reason I'm pretty glad they're waiting. It's hard enough to get used to Dewshine being a grandmother, but a great-grandmother?

Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Not just a great-grandma, the world's cutest great-grandma. ^n_n^

PostSubject: Re: Delayed/Cancelled Recognition    Delayed/Cancelled Recognition  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Delayed/Cancelled Recognition
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4