HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:32 pm

(your lateness is nothing compared to mine! I have been unexpectedly busy with real life stuff and some internet drama. My apologies. I am back now.)

Talno was already focusing on the hunt and chase ahead of them, when Aroree's words jolted him out of his concentration. **I don't know...** he sent, trying to make a decision and finding it surprisingly difficult. It was an interesting idea, but it was also something very alien to his usual way of acting and thinking. Then again... if the gifts were nameless, no one would know it was him. It had been fun the night before, and it might be pleasant to spend more time with Aroree.

**Very well. But we will do that later. For now, eyes on the prey!** He finally responded. For he had spotted a large herd of elk moving under them, and the wind was right for a suprise attack.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 am

((No worries, Leanan  Wink  Just glad to know you're ok and welcome back  I love you  Hope everything is better now!))

Aroree could feel the uncertainty in Talno's sending, but not in a sense that he thought her idea was ridiculous, but simply caught off guard and awkward to answer at first.  Her own nervousness for his reply became a swift memory when his excitement returned, agreeing quickly to her idea with eagerness to begin their hunt.

Her own enthusiasm returned. Not just for the thrill that her idea was accepted, but to prove her hunting skills once again.  It was rare moments such as this where Aroree felt self worth, that sense of purpose everyone needed in order to wake up each morning.  Littletrill felt the thrilling wave from her bond rider and shifted into the current of wind alongside Widewings as if the two great bird flew simultaneously with one mind.

Aroree's weapon was ready in her hand, but it was her companion who spotted the herd first.  **Take the lead, my friend! You get first choice of prey!"
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:24 pm

(Yes, things should be all right now!)

Talno took his own advice and studied the herd. He soon found a good target. **The big male over on the left side. He is magnificent, and quite old, judging by the size of those horns. But he runs slower than the others. Probably something wrong with his legs.** He sent. Though young animals had more tender, juicy flesh, he preferred to hunt the old ones, as that was a way to ensure that the prey would continue to multiply in the future. Killing old, weak individuals made way for the young and strong ones to make the whole herd stronger. And, although he would never admit it, killing a youngling of any species always seemed to him like unnecessary cruelty.

**I'll go ahead of him, you attack from behind.** He sent Aroree his suggestion, though it was phrased more like a command. This was typical of Talno. He did not waste words in urgent situations on the hunt.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Aroree spotted the buck Talno had chosen and guided Littletrill to coast behind Windwings to take their position. Her own excitement for the hunt grew when Talno gave his instructions, and she felt her own smile grow as the speed of their bond birds picked up.

Just as Tano and Widewings veered off to make their move, Aroree split off with her great hawk to take the rear of their target as planned.  Within seconds, the entire herd of elk sensed the danger.  Although the herd didn't pick up on a scent, it was the enormous shadow forms from above that caught their eye and alerted the prey. Immediately they bolted, at first all together as one.  But as Aroree soared closer down from behind, the elk began to scatter wildly across the meadow.  This made singling out their chosen target much easier for Talno to strike.

Littletrill let out a piercing screech as they closed in on the buck in order to distract the prey as it ran for its life.  He would be too concerned over the predator closing in from behind to realize the killing blow would come from the front.  **He's all yours Talno! Take the strike now!**
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Talno and Widewings veered around in an intense spiral, facing the galloping animal head-on. He ignored the rest of the herd, concentrating on his chosen prey. Widewings struck just once, fast as a serpent's head. The back of the animal was broken in the giant hawk's gigantic beak. Obeying a whistled command from Talno, Widewings dropped the animal on the grass, a lifeless, bleeding husk of a being. And this was as it should be. The rest of the herd was gone, although this had all happened so fast that the dust their hooves had raised still remained in the air, marking their passage.

Talno landed on the grass. **Looks like we have the main course for tonight's dinner. Let's take him to the kitchens.** He sent to Aroree. The kitchens of Blue Mountain were mostly staffed by the human servants, but some elves also chose to work there, guiding the humans to create culinary masterpieces from ordinary ingredients.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Sure enough their tactic worked, and Widewings delivered the killing blow swiftly.  After the elk was dropped to the ground, Aroree landed upon the ground with a graceful step beside Talno to take a better look at their catch.  **By the stars, this is enough to feed Blue Mountain far more than just tonight's meal! Fine choice and good eye, my friend!**

Her approving excitement reached her eyes as she smiled, and also with a bit of pride.  Although all of the Gliders were splendid hunters, Talno had the knack for a keener eye and swifter strike. She nodded eagerly when her friend mentioned to head back to their home, but as Aroree turned to whistle for her bond bird, yet another though returned.  The hunt was over already... which meant what to do with their time for the remainder of the day.  She'd rather not spend it within the gloomy cavern walls of the mountain when the sun and winds welcomed them.

With a single soaring leap into the air, she grabbed onto Littletrill's harness as the great hawk swooped down into a hovering position in the air.  **And what next Talno? Our duty is done for the day...**
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 am

Talno nodded, smiling in a satified way. It was a good kill, and Aroree was right; they'd feast on venison for several days.

At her next question, he raised an eyebrow. "Did we not agree that we would find gifts for some others, and leave them like we left the Stones for Aureen?" He reminded her. "Do you have any suggestion as to who should receive our surprise next?" Despite his doubts, he found he looked forward to playing some more of this gifting-game.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Aroree gave a soft chuckle and a rather bashful smile. "Oh, I didn't forget about gift hunting, Talno.  But I did not wish to sound bold or pushy in case you had other duties you needed to attend to first."  

It was the norm of Aroree's demeanor to be the more shy one, careful not to offend or be rude to the others.  Some found it to be a weakness, while others found her to be simply passive.  As they began their flight home, she gave Talno's question some thought and reverted back to sending now that they were back in the skies.  
**Perhaps Lord Voll would be delighted in something of a surprise gift?  He has appeared solemn of late so maybe something to lift his spirits again? Only I do not know what he would fancy that we could find to bring him...**

Hopefully Talno may have an idea or two.  Aroree suspected that her friend may know their elder a bit better than her to have a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:51 pm

They flew towards Blue Mountain at a more leisured pace, since Widewings now had their kill to carry in his talons. Talno considered Aroree's suggestion for many long moments. It was true, as she said, that Lord Voll could use a bit of cheering up. But he could not imagine any gift that could cause that - at least, not any gift that was in his powers to give. Lord Voll would break out of his shell if Recognition returned to Blue Mountain, or something else equally impossible took place.

**Not a bad idea. But what under the two moons could we give him that he does not already have?** He asked Aroree, hoping she'd have some inkling of an idea.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:13 pm

By the furrowed slope in Aroree's brows, it was obvious she giving the thought over Lord Voll some serious thought.  Her mind raced for any possible idea.  What would the elder care for a trinket? Sure it would be pleasant to look at for a moment or two and possibly bring a short lived smile, but she wanted something that would actually lift Voll's heart.  Something he would treasure and look forward to everyday.

Her bright blue eyes lit up suddenly with an idea, but just as quickly as she felt the excitement, Aroree pulled back the reins on her enthusiasm and sobered her hope back to being cautious.  She glanced at Talno to see he was patiently waiting for her to to voice any suggestion and feared her thought may be a little outrageous.  But the Glider reminded herself that Talno didn't find her gift idea foolish as she first feared, so perhaps he would agree to her suggestion for Lord Voll as well.

*In my many errands for Winnowill, she would always request that I bring back various birds for her...collection.  But we both know there are so many other creatures that dwell in the woodlands.  Perhaps something small... easy to tame...* She gave her head a small shake just as the last word left her lips.  *Perhaps it's not a grand idea, but it's the only thing I can think of that Lord Voll would least expect...*
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Talno frowned in return. **A pet? Interesting idea. Yes... I can see it might work. Have you ever tamed any animal, other than a Great Hawk?** He asked Aroree. To him, the small things in the woods were just that: small things in the woods, not big enough to merit being hunted.

They had reached Blue Mountain. At Talno's whistled command, Widewings dropped the kill into a hole in the mountainside. This hole, impossible to reach by climbing, led down a chute and directly into the meat room of the kitchens. From Talno's point of view, it was simply a convenience, much easier than dragging every kill down the twisting pathways inside the mountain.
But Winnowill had originally had this chute shaped like this because it caused there to be less contact between the Gliders and the humans who prepared their food. Gliders were not actually forbidden to befriend the humans, but Winnowill's inventions, both physical barriers set in stone and mental ones taught to generation after generation of worshipping humans, made sure that such things were unlikely to happen.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Aroree sighed along with her sending. **No... I'm afraid I haven't tried to tame anything before, but how hard can it be if you have a creature young enough?**  

She pondered over the idea some more.  Choosing a creature was a challenge enough, let alone trying to tame it.  The Gliders were already skilled at taming and training the great hawks, and smaller birds appeared to adapt to the same training after seeing Winnowill with the "pets" Aroree captured for her.

But Aroree felt another bird may bore Lord Voll.  Surely a small land animal would be more entertaining being something new and unknown to learn about.  She had seen various small animals during her hunts from the past, and a few stood out in her mind as possibilities.  After watching Widewings deposit the elk into the mountain, Aroree smiled at her companion and pointed to the section of the forest far from the human village where they rarely ventured.  "Let's try there, Talno.  I once saw these small creatures of the brightest red fur I have ever seen, yet their tails and feet were white.  They seemed the playful type, nor were they big at all..."
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 am

Talno thought for a moment. He could not remember having seen the creatures Aroree mentioned. He might have, but he would not have paid them any attention. "Let's go and catch one of those, then." He agreed. "But I suspect it may not be as easy as it seems. We do not normally hunt that kind of things, so we don't know what they'd do to evade being hunted. I once chased this black-and-white striped thing, when Widewings was little and needed smaller targets to practice on, and, well, the critter sprayed a foul smell on me that lasted for days." He had been embarrassed when that happened, and did not like discussing his failures, but the experience was relevant to their 'gift-hunt' so he felt he had to share it.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Aroree pressed her lips tight to hold back the sudden chuckle in her throat when Talno mentioned his mishap with the striped creature.  She remembered when that happened.  Although she wasn't with him during that particular hunt, everyone within Blue Mountain knew of it simply by the smell poor Talno returned with, and how long it lasted.  No one dared taunted him for the unfortunate incident once they saw the silent glare in his eyes.

She cleared her throat to sober her humor before speaking through the gentle wind.  "There's countless creatures within the woods, my friend... I'm sure we'll spot an idea or two!"

Once their bond birds slowed above the canopy of trees, Aroree carefully chose a wide enough opening through the branches and slipped off of Littletrill's harness to glide toward the forest floor.  As always, the woodland was quiet and serene, save for the harmonious songs of the birds filling the air.  Her steps were light and graceful upon the ground, careful not to make too much of a sound so not to frighten any potential pet for Lord Voll.

**Keep your sights sharp, Talno... we don't want anything hunting us while we're doing the hunting...**
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 am

Talno saw the sparkle of amusement in Aroree's eyes, though she tried to hide it, and he found his cheeks heating with a slight blush. He tried his best to ignore all that and followed her to the forest.

He jumped off Widewings's broad back and sent him off to do some hunting of his own, as the great hawk had not fed yet that day. Talno glided down to the forest floor, following closely after Aroree.

He moved silently, knowing the need for stealth. Aroree's sending reminded him that there could be anything in this forest, even things big enough to be a danger to elves. Wild cats, packs of wolves, venomous snakes... and he and Aroree had not told anyone they would be going here. Talno wasn't afraid, but he understood the need for caution. **Yes. We have to keep our senses alert**, he sent back in agreement.

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 am

Aroree wasn't accustomed to "hunting" of sorts when upon the ground, but at least her best skill was to use her floating ability to keep her steps light upon the forest floor so not to alarm or frighten off any potential catch.  From time to time, she would float to a high tree branch to scope out the ground below for any sight of a hopeful "pet", but to no avail.

From her latest perch, Aroree slowly drifted back to ground beside her companion with a heavy sigh and looking completely embarrassed.  "I had no idea it would be this difficult! Maybe the smaller land creatures keep to their dwellings during the day, or we're just very poor land hunters...."  She ended her confession with a chuckle, but it was clear her hopes were dashing.

Before the Glider could make another suggestion, there was a sudden commotion in a nearby bush.  Just as Aroree began to turn, the source of the noise came bolting out from the thicket and ran straight through her feet.  Naturally, she let out a small cry of alarm, but caught sight of the long eared creature as it continued to hop and run wildly away for its life.  Aroree gave no thought to her actions.  She grabbed Talno by the wrist and practically flew after the little hopper. "Come on, Talno! The hunt is on!"
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Talno sometimes hovered, sometimes walked along the forest paths, occasionally gliding higher into the canopies of the ancient trees. He saw a snake on one branch, but discarded it as once as a possible pet for Lord Voll, finding himself thinking: he has bite and venom enough in the lovemate of his choice. Then he chastised himself mentally, for daring to even think something so - dangerous. Not even thoughts were safe in Blue Mountain, or so Talno feared.

Hearing Aroree's startled cry, he turned his head, but apparently he was too slow for Aroree, because the female grabbed him by his hand and dragged him off, in pursuit of the prey he glimpsed hopping away. **I can glide on my own**, he pointed out to her, and did so, following at her heels. The animal was the right size - much else he could not be sure of from this point of view.

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Her enthusiastic laughter couldn't be helped.  Even if they didn't catch the swift darting creature, the actual chase felt so carefree! And the faster the little hopper fled, the faster Aroree ran and soared.  Over bushes and woodland debris, under low lying branches, and dodging trees.  Was this the same exhilaration their bind birds felt when chasing their prey?

Knowing Talno would keep close at her heels, Aroree continued leading the chase.  Just as she began to have second thoughts over her choice for a potential pet, the white tailed hopper suddenly dove into a large hole beneath the ground, victorious in its escape.  As Aroree came to a stop, she found herself gasping for breath, yet still chuckling when looking back at her fellow Glider.  “It would seem... that was a rather bad choice.”  Her humor would not be dissuaded, though.  “Could you imagine Lord Voll trying to chase that furry little thing as we just were?!”

Now standing upright, her hand absently went to her hair, brushing the fallen strands from her flushed face, yet still smiling from the fun of their hunt.  “Your turn, my friend... Let's see if you have better sights and choice than I do.”
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Talno followed Aroree just as swiftly as she swept throught the forest, but had to frown at Aroree's laughter. It was a happy noise, and he was glad his hunting companion was happy, but he was used to more, well, silent, company when hunting. As the target of their chase disappeared into the ground, his frustration surfaced. How could she find this so funny? They had been outwitted by something little and hairy. It was an embarrassment, if anything.

The displeasure stayed in his eyes when he answered her: "Well, if it was tame, it would not run away." But she was right, this was not the right animal for Voll. What was, though?

He raked his brain trying to remember what he had seen of the smaller denizens of the forest. Running away, he suspected, was common to all of them. "I am beginning to think that this is a fool's errand", he admitted, and kicked a tree in his frustration. An acorn fell from the tree and hit his Chosen Eight helmet with a little 'ping' noise, frustrating and furiating him even further. And the worst of it was, he had no clever reply to give Aroree.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Aroree watched Talno's frustration calmly, but after he kicked the tree and an acorn fell on his head, she had to muster every ounce of control to hold back her giggle.  For some reason, she found no need to feel intimidated by his foul mood where any of the other Gliders would have avoided him.  Perhaps it was because they were both sharing the same frustration together.

She leaned forward a bit with her hands clasped behind her back and offered Talno a calm and friendly smile.  "No need to be annoyed, my friend... remember, we are here to have a little fun as well.  Even we do not catch anything for Lord Voll today, there is always tomorrow!"

She straightened again and brought a finger to her chin while looking out to the forest in serious thought.  "You do have a point though, Talno.  We're not accustomed to chasing and catching prey on foot.  Surely there are much slower creatures to be found."
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:09 am

Talno managed something vaguely resembling a smile. "I guess you're right. We can look around some more, and if we find nothing, we can come back tomorrow."

He studied their surroundings, thinking hard. "Birds make nests for themselves. I wonder if the other creatures also have dens of their own? Perhaps if we caught something when it was sleeping - took it by surprise?" He suggested. "Where would you sleep if you were a small forest creature? A hole in the ground perhaps? Or inside a hollow tree?"

He wished he knew more about the small animals. There had never been a reason to learn. Unlike Aroree, he had not been recruited to bring samples for Winnowill's studies. The Chosen hunted large prey, as was fit for their dignity.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:12 am

Still tapping her chin slowly, Aroree gave careful thought to each of Talno's suggestive questions.  He made her think back to all the little "pet" hunts she had to do for Winnowill.  What all had she seen during those hunts... and where?

There came to mind of another creature... one fairly slow, actually! With the markings of a mask over its eyes.  She recalled seeing such a short and squat creature several times by streams, or scrounging food from the ground from time to time.  Her eyes lit up at the possibility as she turned to Talno again with a bright smile.  "There just might be something else!"

She motioned for him to follow as Aroree took a slower pace through the forest this time and spoke softly to explain her next suggestion.  "I've seen a much slower creature... but its fur is dark like storm clouds with black rings around its eyes and its bushy tail.  Now from what I remember, its fairly um..." She couldn't help the chuckle while still trying to describe it.  "Well... they are very round and husky for its little feet, but! I have seen one climb a tree!"

Her eyes were now scanning the high tree trunks for any visible holes as she continued.  "Still being the smaller breed of creatures within the woods, I would simply assume it would sleep up high and out of reach of predators, since it does have the knack for climbing, don't you think, Talno?"
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:33 pm

**Send me an image of the creature** Talno suggested to Aroree. He tried to imagine the creature based on her description, but words could only say so much, and he was quite sure he had never seen anything like that.

**I agree about living higher up. After all - our folk, also, has taken to the heights and hiding for safety.** It did not bother him at all to compare the noble tribe of the Gliders to simple woodland animals. What he knew of his tribe - and that was a lot, since few things remained secret in Blue Mountain - their actions, and their reasons for these actions, were just as base and simple as those of animals. The only difference was that the Gliders had endless time at their disposal, so they made things like choosing a lovemate or cooking a meal into a stretched, long-winded performance. He did not, of course, count himself among them. He and the other Chosen were a breed apart.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:20 pm

((Again, I'm SO sorry this took so long. My schedule was just so crazy last week and over the weekend Sad ))

Aroree gave her best memory of the black masked creature and it's wide round form and bushy tail. She revealed how the animal more or less waddled, making it far more easier to catch than the wild hopping hopeful they previously chased.  It was still quite an amusing woodland dweller as her memory revealed how the animal sat at the stream and used it's paws, just as elves use their hands, as it captured a small crab like creature in the stream, then picked it apart carefully before eating its meal.

She kept her voice hushed while continuing to explain her sending vision. “It appeared to me it is quite a smart and curious creature to be so careful with its meal, rather than just devouring whatever it finds like most animals do.  I just don't know of its temperament.  If we find it to be mean, we'll try something else.”

Now turning to venture off again, the Glider smiled at her friend.  “For now, let's just enjoy our little adventure, Talno.  Although we have a purpose, we can also learn more of any other forest dwellers as we walk and look about, yes?”  

True, they were on a journey in search for a “gift” for their Lord Voll, but Aroree also wanted their small journey to be a gift for Talno as well.  She worried that the boring tolls of their days were weighing down on his spirit. To get him out and about from the mundane routines of Blue Mountain, and to show him there was more to the world they lived in than just serving their tribe and hunting,   that hopefully he would find that even the little things can bring a great amount of joy.
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP    Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:07 pm

(Don't worry about it. Real life comes first. I understand completely. *hugs* Very Happy )

Talno memorized Aroree's sending images and words carefully. She was right - the creature did seem amusing, and complex enough in its behavior to be entertaining. **You are right. This could be the very animal we need**, he sent to her approvingly.

He glider higher slowly, so that he was up in the canopy of the trees.

Aroree's words surprised him. He had grown so accustomed to thinking everything a duty, a task, that he had forgotten they were doing this as much to amuse themselves as to give joy to others. He managed something resembling a smile. He wondered if he should confess what was in his heart, when he looked at her and saw the joy in her eyes... but in the end, he dared not put it in words, not even in sending.

She was like a sun that had risen to brighten his days.

Perhaps, someday, he'd find the courage to speak those words. Not now. Not yet.
Back to top Go down

Blue Mountain (before Wolfriders) RP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next