HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Interesting details from the RPG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Interesting details from the RPG   Fri May 22, 2015 11:42 pm

sooo i was bored, so i was reading through the Elfquest RPG books that i've found online, and came to a glossary section...and lo and behold, i found some rather interesting details i can only assume are canon! so i'd like to detail them here, and see if a discussion about them can be started.^^

Elfquest Chaosium RPG Book

Bright Metal- a light, strong, allow of iron discovered by Two-Edge and used by him for armor and weapons.

Bristle Boar- pig like beast similar to Earth's peccary, found in the mountains around Sorrow's End.

Chair in the Sun- Savah's outdoor sitting place

Clap-rocks- rocks used like castanets for rhythmic accompaniement of dancing.

Clearstone- Sunfolk name for quartz, clear or colored

Dreamberries- berries that ferment while ripening. they intoxicate elves and poison humans

Dreen- Sun folk elf, one of the first, adopted by Hassbet of the original Sun folk

Flame-Striped Snake- venomous snake that Rayek modeled his headband from

Hassbet- Rootless One, one of the founders of Sorrow's End, cousin and lifemate to Maalvi, Savah's father

Maalvi- Sun Folk elf, step father of Savah, cousin and lifemate to Hassbet. Now dead.

Nestrobber- One-eye's third wolffriend, died of bellyworms.

Plootz- sound made when Presever shoots wrapstuff at a victim

Scurfball- troll of Greymungs tribe, keeper of the stone door that led to the Holt, died during Guttlecraw's invasion

Sun Folk- elves who are descended from Hassbet, Maalvi, Savah, Dreen and Yurek after they settled in Sorrow's End

Tolf the Wood Cleaver- human male, Adar's father

it's interesting to learn the names of some of the characters from Elfquest, like Scurfball and Savah's father...or stepfather? rather conflicting, so i have no idea which is which. i'm not entirely sure how canon this all is, but i'd like to think it's quite canon.
Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 9:22 am

Hassbet was Savah's mother, Maalvi's cousin and lifemate. I have no idea why she was listed as Savah's father on that list.
Maalvi became Savah's step father.
Dreen was the little boy we see on the mural in Savah's hut.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 10:49 am

Vaeri wrote:

sooo i was bored, so i was reading through the Elfquest RPG books that i've found online, and came to a glossary section...and lo and behold, i found some rather interesting details i can only assume are canon! so i'd like to detail them here, and see if a discussion about them can be started.^^

Yeah, I have a thread about the RPG - and pointed out how it has a section for the WolfHaven Holt, which was supposed to be Two-Spear's tribe of Wolfriders. It differs from the comic quite a bit.

Vaeri wrote:

Bristle Boar- pig like beast similar to Earth's peccary, found in the mountains around Sorrow's End.

Pretty sure this is the boar that Rayek levitates then stabs in OG, early on when the Wolfriders first arrive.

Vaeri wrote:

Scurfball- troll of Greymungs tribe, keeper of the stone door that led to the Holt, died during Guttlecraw's invasion

Did they ever name him in the comic?

Vaeri wrote:

it's interesting to learn the names of some of the characters from Elfquest, like Scurfball and Savah's father...or stepfather? rather conflicting, so i have no idea which is which. i'm not entirely sure how canon this all is, but i'd like to think it's quite canon.

Some of it is not canon. Also, depending on the version of the book - the first edition (boxed set) was released before ElfQuest 19 and 20 (of OQ) were released. Once those two issues were released, they RE-released the RPG (in a single book format) that corrected some of the errors from the previous edition.

But clearly, there's a lot of stuff that is still in the RPG that is not canon (like the whole thing about Two-Spear and the WolfHaven tribe).
Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am

We could probably merge this thread with:

Question about Two-Spear's origin from the RPG: http://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t230-elfquest-and-the-family-tree-for-timmain

General RPG thread: http://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t223-elfquest-rpg-the-pen-paper

And make one happy thread! Laughing

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Vaeri wrote:

Vaeri wrote:
Flame-Striped Snake- venomous snake that Rayek modeled his headband from
I imagine the flame-stripe is our darling little coral of the southwest

but the side stripes kinda work on these, too.  Rhino viper, one of my favorite hots, and I'd totally keep one if I could.

Vaeri wrote:

I thought it was just Scurf, but I could be fuzzy-brained.

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ
Back to top Go down
http://servalspot.com
Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 12:58 pm

i posted the Bristle Boar just cause i thought it was interesting it was related to a specific animal on Earth...i honestly thought it was just related to the regular boars!

and i could see the snake being our coral snake!

Dio you kinda confused me with the comment about Hassbet..or was it Maalvi? and i figured who Dreen was, i just never knew he had a name, or what it was.
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Sorrow's End is very much the southwest. Living here, I'm inclined to say the heaviest influence is Arizona, right down to the Papago park area being the area the wolf riders took up home in. Javelina are cute but dangerous if you irritate them! Certainly most of the plant life in the Sun Village and that of the Valley of the Sun are similar!

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 2:00 pm

Such a cute bristle boar I love you Don't let Rayek get it!
The snakes are fascinating beauties, Kojiyumi. Coral is like a jewelled necklace (or colorful headband in a special case ^^) and Viper looks like a knitted scarf.

Yes it was Scurf - that's the name I remember from the novelization. The RPG appears to me like a variance of comic canon. Maybe they took a different name by purpose, maybe by accident or it was a shortcut in the novelization. ^^

The confusion about Hassbet is probably a simple misunderstanding, Vaeri.
Quote :
Hassbet- Rootless One, one of the founders of Sorrow's End, cousin and lifemate to Maalvi, Savah's father
You can read this in two different ways:
Hassbet - Rootless One + one of the founders of Sorrow's End + cousin and lifemate to Maalvi + Savah's father
or
Hassbet- Rootless One + one of the founders of Sorrow's End + cousin and lifemate to Maalvi, Savah's father

Thank you for sharing your find, Vaeri. I think it's interesting, too. A nice collection of terms with explanation you need to gather laboriously from different sorces otherwise.

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 3:33 pm

I've found that hots tend the be the most beautiful of the snakes! I really wish I could afford to keep some of my favorites!

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sat May 23, 2015 7:36 pm

ohh i see, thanks for explaining embala! i was very O.o about the comment, but makes sense.

though now i'm really really CURIOUS!! is Maalvi Savah's birth sire, or adopted sire???! PIIIINIIIIISSS, WHY CAN'T YOU WRITE PREQUELS???!!!
Back to top Go down
Dio

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sun May 24, 2015 6:58 am

I am very sure that Hassbet is Savah's mother. Her father had died prior to their journey through the desert. Maalvi was Hassbet's cousin and later lifemate becoming Savah's stepfather.
You can find some of the information in the Big EQ Gatherum.
It states at least the gender of Dreen and that he was adopted by Hassbet and that Maalvi was Hassbet's cousin. Unfortunately Hassbet herself was left out.

I read somewhere else about the Rootless ones as well though I cannot recall when and where. There was also a good story about them traveling to Sorrows' End of which I am not sure, if it was considered canon.

Yes, I would love a prequel: "Sorrows' End - The Beginning" Savah
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 am

Make us two! Savah

All we have "first hand" is a mural in Savah's hut, the bits of information from the novelization and a calendar pic. Count in the information in Yurek's bio that the Rootless ones split from the early Gliders.

Speaking of Gliders - I'd like to have a real story about Voll's journey from danger to savety, the building of Blue Mountain, the time when the tribe was still striving.And a foreshasowing of the end ...

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Multimedea

Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Sun May 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Embala wrote:

All we have "first hand" is a mural in Savah's hut, the bits of information from the novelization and a calendar pic. Count in the information in Yurek's bio that the Rootless ones split from the early Gliders.

We also have "The Wolfrider's Guide To the World of Elfquest", which is the official handbook to the series...and lays out in black and white about 80% of the information that's constantly bickered over on these boards. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 am

Oh, yes! Why didn't I look into THAT book? Suntoucher

I agree with You, Embala. The Gliders have always interested me and are certainly my favorite tribe. To see how it started would be great...on the one hand. On the other it could take away from the mystery and turn out quite disappointing. I never liked the High Ones' story in Hidden Years. Suddenly there was no more room for imagination. And the story was far from what I had imagined: High Ones returning to the Palace, being powerful enough to deal with the humans, fighting amongst each other and worst of all being depicted as just two hands full. (I still think there must have been more - unnamed - ones who survived.)
Background stories can make the world suddenly smaller than it was. Think of the Go-Backs all of a sudden being just Wolfriders cast out!

So maybe it is better not to know more. Skywise Wink

PS: Multimedea, I loved Your story about Venka, Aroree, Aurek and Two-Edge. Dewshine Did You ever finish it?
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Mon May 25, 2015 7:00 pm

Dio wrote:
Suddenly there was no more room for imagination. And the story was far from what I had imagined: High Ones returning to the Palace, being powerful enough to deal with the humans, fighting amongst each other and worst of all being depicted as just two hands full. (I still think there must have been more - unnamed - ones who survived.)
I see your point ... though my imagination works very well WITH those bits of information.

Especially this story is not a historical report for me but a mythological tale - simplyfied like the creation story or the Flood from the bible. Of couse there must have been more Firstcomers. Wink

About the Gliders ... not the whole story. Just the befinning, the wandering, the building up and the tribe split ... with or without a hint of the end in the Great egg. Early appearances of familiar characters, new ones never seen before ... in Wendy's art. If only because of the artwork.

My mind, my longing for more would never give rest for Wendy... ^^

Back to top Go down
Multimedea

Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: Interesting details from the RPG   Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Dio wrote:

PS: Multimedea, I loved Your story about Venka, Aroree, Aurek and Two-Edge. Dewshine Did You ever finish it?

Thanks! Very Happy

Finish it? Well...not really? I have several more chapters outlined, but now it may be a little too concurrent/conflicting with Final Quest. It's having a lot of similar events occuring with my story, but approached in a different way with different motivations. I don't want to seem like a wayward copycatter. Laughing I could re-post what I've already done and see how it goes. Maybe wait til the Quest is done and then zig-zag around that.

Interesting details from the RPG
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1