Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The X-Men.

Go down 
+8
truelight
Embala
TrollHammer
Josine
Elwing
Tenderfoot
Kojiyumi
PCoquelin
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri May 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Okay - so the other thread notes several of you are familiar with the X-MEN, whether that's through the comics or the cartoons -

Let's hear who some of your favorite X-MEN are and why you like them so much! (And so help me if someone says Nightcrawler because he looks like an Elf and has three {not four} fingers!)
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri May 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Wolverine, because he has a complex personality.

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySat May 30, 2015 2:12 am

Trollbabe wrote:

Is that sarcasm? Smile
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySat May 30, 2015 5:18 am

Tymber wrote:
Trollbabe wrote:

Is that sarcasm? Smile

Sure, bub...

The X-Men. 11133710

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySat May 30, 2015 5:51 am

Trollbabe wrote:

I second that! He's been my favorite from the start.

I watched the cartoons before I got a hold of the comics, so my choice of favorites may seem odd. I've always liked Storm, just because she's cool, I really adored Beast (he has fur!) and I liked Nightcrawler (yes, Tymber) in X-Men Evolution. I found Kitty/Shadowcat okay enough, but strangely enough Pietro Maximoff seems to be my favorite after Wolverine Neutral I think it's the attitude and the Whole evil papa pressure, that and I discovered FanFiction... so help me.

I always hated Jean Gray, apologies to those who like her, but I detested her from the start and found her the worst Mary Sue in history (it's strange, she's the first redhead I've disliked, I tend to like the redheads the most). So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I don't like Cyclops either
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Tenderfoot wrote:
Trollbabe wrote:

Heh - well, Wolverine has always had a pretty huge fan base. I loved Wolverine (from the much older comics in Uncanny X-Men). In the recent years, in comics, I can't stand when he shows up in a comic. They've ruined him, in the comics, I think. They took away everything that made him... well, Wolverine.

Although, in the regular Marvel Universe, he recently perished. But that doesn't matter anymore, with what Marvel is currently doing with "Secret Wars" and smashing all these alternate realities together - so now, not only is Wolverine alive, there's like six different versions of him running around. Lawd help us all.

Tenderfoot wrote:

I watched the cartoons before I got a hold of the comics, so my choice of favorites may seem odd. I've always liked Storm, just because she's cool, I really adored Beast (he has fur!) and I liked Nightcrawler (yes, Tymber) in X-Men Evolution. I found Kitty/Shadowcat okay enough, but strangely enough Pietro Maximoff seems to be my favorite after Wolverine Neutral I think it's the attitude and the Whole evil papa pressure, that and I discovered FanFiction... so help me.

I always hated Jean Gray, apologies to those who like her, but I detested her from the start and found her the worst Mary Sue in history (it's strange, she's the first redhead I've disliked, I tend to like the redheads the most). So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I don't like Cyclops either

I don't mind at all that you watched cartoons first to get exposure to X-Men! I love it! I love that X-Men has been across so many different mediums.

Interesting choice, liking Pietro (Quicksilver) - I didn't watch X-Men: Evolution... was he the typical arrogant type character that he is normally portrayed as?

As for Jean Grey, she used to be (in the comics) a great character - when she went from Marvel Girl, to Phoenix and then Dark Phoenix - the entire Dark Phoenix Saga and the events that lead up to it (in the comics) is some of the best comic book story writing around! However, when she sacrificed herself, that seemed a fitting end. Until (in the comics), there was a clone of her that Scott/Cyclops eventually meets and falls in love with. Then we discover, it wasn't Jean who sacrificed herself on the moon - but the Phoenix, and that years before when the space shuttle that had the X-Men in it (in the comics), crashed - it swapped places with Jean, put her in a cocoon and she has been alive all this time! Ugh. But, it lead to X-Factor, which was a great comic. And then they left X-Factor eventually and rejoined the X-Men - and I think she died and came back in that short time, about three or four times. (At least count, she was still dead... but again, that doesn't really matter anymore with Marvel mashing all the Universes together; I am sure a version of Jean Grey is sure to survive)...
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:24 pm

The X-Men. Tumblr_mzu1jv0t1t1rt6kpxo1_r1_500
Because he's like the bastard lovechild of Pepe LePew and Wile E. Coyote.

The X-Men. Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

The X-Men. Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun May 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
The X-Men. Tumblr_mzu1jv0t1t1rt6kpxo1_r1_500
Because he's like the bastard lovechild of Pepe LePew and Wile E. Coyote.

Heh! I know Gambit has a pretty huge following!
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun May 31, 2015 9:28 pm

He does. I love where the character is at right now. SO bummed they culled All New X-Factor. I loved everybody in that series. Even ones I didn't care for or weren't on my radar before. I'd LOVE to see that team pulled back together for more crack adventures (putting the fun in dysfunctional).

The X-Men. Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

The X-Men. Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun May 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
He does.  I love where the character is at right now.  SO bummed they culled All New X-Factor.  I loved everybody in that series.  Even ones I didn't care for or weren't on my radar before.  I'd LOVE to see that team pulled back together for more crack adventures (putting the fun in dysfunctional).

Peter David is great at writing that. (If you didn't read the original X-Factor, when he took over and changed the team around), I'd strongly recommend it. As well as the second X-Factor series that followed. And then, as you said, All New X-Factor. (Though Gambit is not in the previous two versions of X-Factor, if you enjoy the fun in dysFUNctional - then you'd probably enjoy those!) My only real complaint with All New X-Factor was the art. Wasn't really a fan of it. Like the still shots (like the Gambit above) are fine - but when it came to action... Meh.
Back to top Go down
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Tymber wrote:
Tenderfoot wrote:
Trollbabe wrote:

Heh - well, Wolverine has always had a pretty huge fan base. I loved Wolverine (from the much older comics in Uncanny X-Men). In the recent years, in comics, I can't stand when he shows up in a comic. They've ruined him, in the comics, I think. They took away everything that made him... well, Wolverine.

Although, in the regular Marvel Universe, he recently perished. But that doesn't matter anymore, with what Marvel is currently doing with "Secret Wars" and smashing all these alternate realities together - so now, not only is Wolverine alive, there's like six different versions of him running around. Lawd help us all.

I though he couldn't possibly perish? I do recall reading somewhere that he evolved through the series, from just healing minor wounds to surviving falling into a volcano or something of the like.

I found a FanFiction story about all these different versions once, although it was centered around all the different kids he had. All the children appeared one by one at the institute through some sort of portal, all from different dimensions, and Wolverine was viewed like some sort of man whore. Only Storm was happy, because through the portal she received a daughter Rolling Eyes

Tymber wrote:
Tenderfoot wrote:

I don't mind at all that you watched cartoons first to get exposure to X-Men! I love it! I love that X-Men has been across so many different mediums.

I strongly believe that my first encounter with X-Men was the animated series from 1992 (I was born in 1993), at least my first memory of it was episode 3, Enter Magneto. I remember that I was fascinated with Wolverine's hair and that, since I was so young, I couldn't fully differentiate between him and Beast (their hair looked much the same in these series). But I wasn't so fond of television (Lord, is that even possible for a child?), so I know I didn't watch all the episodes, and mostly likely the ones I watched were not in the right order either.

Then when I was older, X-Men Evolution aired on Cartoon Network and I fell instantly in love! Most of the characters are teens instead of adults in these series.

Tymber wrote:
Interesting choice, liking Pietro (Quicksilver) - I didn't watch X-Men: Evolution... was he the typical arrogant type character that he is normally portrayed as?

Quite arrogant and cocky, yes. But his and Wanda's (Scarlet Witch) backstory was quite different in this version, they apparently lived with Magneto from birth (their mother was never mentioned, so I assume she was dead), but when they were around 7-9 (I'm guessing their ages), Wanda's powers were so uncontrollable that Magneto had her locked away and the twins grew up seperated. I believe he and Evan (Spyke, Storm's nephew) were friends as children.

Naturally the twins couldn't stand each other when Wanda was let out as a teen, but I've always remembered the expression on young Pietro's face as his sister was locked away, so I believe that contributed to his attitude once he was older. He was considered "evil" for a while (working for Magneto all the time), but the series ended with showing that in the future they would join S.H.I.E.L.D.

Tymber wrote:
As for Jean Grey, she used to be (in the comics) a great character - when she went from Marvel Girl, to Phoenix and then Dark Phoenix - the entire Dark Phoenix Saga and the events that lead up to it (in the comics) is some of the best comic book story writing around! However, when she sacrificed herself, that seemed a fitting end. Until (in the comics), there was a clone of her that Scott/Cyclops eventually meets and falls in love with. Then we discover, it wasn't Jean who sacrificed herself on the moon - but the Phoenix, and that years before when the space shuttle that had the X-Men in it (in the comics), crashed - it swapped places with Jean, put her in a cocoon and she has been alive all this time! Ugh. But, it lead to X-Factor, which was a great comic. And then they left X-Factor eventually and rejoined the X-Men - and I think she died and came back in that short time, about three or four times. (At least count, she was still dead... but again, that doesn't really matter anymore with Marvel mashing all the Universes together; I am sure a version of Jean Grey is sure to survive)...

I don't think I'm really the one to speak about this, seeing as I can't really remember these parts of the cartoons and haven't read the comics, but I've heard of the Phoenix thingies and always wondered what a phoenix had to do with her kind of powers?
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 1:40 am

Nightcrawler, duh! Though. My favourite Nightcrawler  appearances will always be in the delightfully weird early Excalibur books.
The X-Men. Excalibur-6
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Elwing wrote:
Nightcrawler, duh! Though. My favourite Nightcrawler  appearances will always be in the delightfully weird early Excalibur books.

So is it Nightcrawler because he looks like an elf? (If not, I won't fault you! I loved Nightcrawler and Wolverine, before I discovered ElfQuest back in 1978 or so... Gods, I'm old). Now, they've ruined Nightcrawler, and Wolverine is a hot mess, and over saturated. (Though his recent death wasn't too bad).

Have you read the first Nightcrlawer limited series? Where Kitty & Illyanna accidentally port him to the dimension based on Uncanny X-Men #153 (Kitty's Fairytale).

Folks here should all ready Uncanny X-Men #153 (because there's fairies called "Pini"s and Kitty is wearing an ElfQuest shirt).

A few years later, Nightcrawler is teleported to that world with the Bamfs and what not.
Back to top Go down
Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 9:09 pm

I've only seen the movies, but my favourites are Wolverine (I have a soft spot for anti-hero's) and Mystique (this shapeshifting lady is just badass).

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Zinegirl wrote:
I've only seen the movies, but my favourites are Wolverine (I have a soft spot for anti-hero's) and Mystique (this shapeshifting lady is just badass).

Perfectly valid, if movies are your own reference! Fandom is fandom. Smile You enjoy them and that is what matters.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 4:53 am

Sorry to crash the thread... I keep seeing this pop up and my head goes to "EQ versions of XMen" (since, in a way, some Elfin powers are similar to some mutants)

So... if I can successfully upload it....

The X-Men. 2016-012

Just a little fun with my phone...

Embala

Capricorn Pig

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Cutter as Wolverine ... sharp claws! And Leetah performs as Storm?
Sorry, don't get the actual reference, Hammer, but I see nice edits! Very Happy

truelight

truelight

Pisces Dragon

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 5:30 pm

I always liked Kitty Pride because she is so very human. Oh and she reads EQ. Smile
I also really like Jean Grey because of her powers. It is very raw and somewhat undefined.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 2:01 pm

truelight wrote:
I always liked Kitty Pride because she is so very human. Oh and she reads EQ. Smile
I also really like Jean Grey because of her powers. It is very raw and somewhat undefined.

Kitty Pryde was pretty awesome, and the most "relate-able" character back then; because she was a teenager going through all this strange stuff with her body, and in a new school; pretty much a metaphor for what every teenager going into High School feels.

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Is anyone planning to see "Logan" in March?

Wolverine's mythology, like much of the comic book universe, is very fluid. Marvel has already published two entirely different stories about an aging Wolverine. In one, he's a California farmer and a family man. In another, he's a lone fur trapper somewhere in Canada.

The movie looks to be a third storyline. In the trailer, he is protecting a girl who might either be an existing Marvel character, like Kitty Pryde moved forward in time, or a new one.

Lunakat

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am

I want to see it so bad. I love Wolverine films.

You know, I think they get around that by explaining that he basically moves around a lot on account of being immortal, and sort of wrecking his life with xmen drama every time he establishes quiet existence.

Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 am

They say it's supposed to be based off the family man version, without the family. Think the girl may be a new character (or x23) but when I watched the commercial it made me think of the story line a few years back after house of m when no new mutants were being born until wala, little mutant girl!

Excited to see it, but not as excited as my mom.

Trollbabe

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Ask Mom if she thinks Jackman is going to keep his pants on this time, LOL.

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 10:47 am

lol! rofl

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Just had to share...

The X-Men. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The X-Men.   The X-Men. Empty