Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Final Quest #11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 am

@Multi-Facets wrote:
I mostly just love Brill, Krill, Korafay, Reef and Snakeskin.

Let's do this! Sell me on what you love about these characters! I'd sincerely like to hear it - get some light shed on me, as to what others see (that I am clearly missing) about these characters since you named quite a few Wave Dancers there. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

avatar

Posts : 1093
Join date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 am

As for me, my heart went out to the Wavedancers due to this character...



That's Reef.

His age is unknown (at least from what I know) but he spent thousands of years like this....



Because of Winnowill. You think Two-Edge was broken because of her? Reef was named "The Broken One" because of the detrimental damage Winnowill did to him both physically and mentally.

So it's no wonder the entire Wavedancers tribe not only mistrusted humans, but they were fully justified in their mistrust of other elves as well.

But it was The Broken One who saved Cutter.



I guess my heart tends to go out to the characters who've suffered more than others, but Reef truly stole my heart when it came to the Wavedancers. He is PROOF that they are courageous and strong when many think they're skittish and weak.  I love you

Also trying to "open send" to Christina in hopes she miraculously has time to add to this thread... she's the walking Wiki of Wavdancers  Laughing

Anyway... hope that's a start

___________________________________________________
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3175
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 am

I also quite like the Wavedancers. I just have a... slightly disturbed sense of humour.
I want Skimback and Sandsparkle to have a new pip!

As for them being scared little tuna fish; I still think that was mostly Surge telling them that they had to be. Sure, they might not turn into Go-Backesque warriors but they'll fight, they'll definitely fight!
Besides; if Sunstream could get equiped with some sort of venom in his frills who's to say the others - slightly shapechanged - ones haven't had similiar enhancements?
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

avatar

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-04-25
Location : Shanghai

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

I don't hate them, but I don't care either. The 'pacific-y' theme doesn't grow on me (water elves, that are more like Northern European water spirits would be more of more my thing*)



*but then, we already have enough white elves

___________________________________________________
It's a dolphin!
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2015-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:17 am

What is wrong with the Pacific? Sorry if the best ocean in the world is too darn awesome for you.
Back to top Go down
manga

avatar

Posts : 849
Join date : 2015-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:05 pm

At a guess, Miss Gillespie isn't thrilled by the Disney-like tropical nature of the Wavedancers. But I'm just guessing, not trying to put words in her mouth.

I will point out that the Wavedancers seem to be more rainbow pastel than actually white...
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

avatar

Sagittarius Dog
Posts : 288
Join date : 2015-03-31
Age : 34
Location : The Downstairs Domain

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:47 pm

@Tymber wrote:
Let's do this! Sell me on what you love about these characters! I'd sincerely like to hear it - get some light shed on me, as to what others see (that I am clearly missing) about these characters since you named quite a few Wave Dancers there. Wink

Now I know how Cutter felt when Strongbow challenged him. :-P These are all my opinions, so your mileage will assuredly vary.

Well, a lot of it is due to their choices. When Sunstream and Brill first met, she could have tried to drive him off somehow out of fear or at least surprise. But instead she chose to hear him out, get to know him, and helped set off the events that started breaking the Wavedancers out of their fearful ways. And she also got everything she had been wanting for so long because she chose to be open to new people and new experiences, to hear more about the world beyond where she lived.

Krill I like because hey, I'm a twin too. And Krill was dedicated to taking care of the tribe by hunting for them, and when the s--t hit the fan, she sided with Brill, again choosing something new and strange that ended up being beneficial. Brill's happiness obviously means a lot to Krill, just as my twin's happiness means a lot to me.

Snakeskin found his own courage just in time to challenge Surge and make both of them face several truths: That Surge's fear and paranoia were hurting everyone, that Snakeskin really did have it in him to be chief, and that the majority of other elves could be trusted. He could have chosen to not trust Cutter right then and there; he could have taken time to think it over, but in a way, the decision did need to be made right then in order to help the Wavedancers kidnapped by Surge. So he did it, and came out stronger for it. And now Snakeskin knows his father is at peace in the Palace with his mother, and they've both let go of the past and of fear. And Snakeskin is truly thinking for himself and trying to do what's best for the Wavedancers.

And Reef. Oh, Reef. My heart goes out to him. I've been battling suicidal depression and anxiety since I was twelve, and I know what it's like to feel so broken and utterly alone. I have stared into the abyss of insanity, and it grinned and winked at me, and whispered "You'll give in. I can wait." It's going to win one day, I know it. But at least I'll take it with me.

Reef had to live with that for gods know how long before he was able to be healed, and even now, he has serious PTSD. But he did survive until he could be healed, and while it will be some time more before he can completely open up and move further beyond the trauma, he has his tribe with him and a friend in Korafay, who are all supporting and encouraging him. Reef's story is one of healing inside and out, and as someone who is also mentally ill, I want him to feel safe and get better.

Korafay may be a Wavedancer, but she had a Wolfrider's courage. She chooses to look at the world around her as something wonderful, and she chooses to see humans for who they are. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are in between. Some are downright evil. But she's right that if humans also stop being afraid, they can live together, get along, be loved, trusted, and respected, as proven by Shuna, Ikopek and Shukopek. Maybe something will happen to change Korafay's mind like it did Moonshade's. But even if it does, perhaps Korafay will be able to recover on the merits of her own strength and bravery, and the support of her tribes and her immediate family. Brill and Sunstream raised her right when they let her courage, her spirit, and her curiosity blossom.

That's why I like them.

___________________________________________________
“Stay drunk on writing so reality doesn’t destroy you.” - Ray Bradbury.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

avatar

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-04-25
Location : Shanghai

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:54 pm

@kathleen3.0 wrote:
What is wrong with the Pacific? Sorry if the best ocean in the world is too darn awesome for you.

Manga is right in that I like the idea of water nymph-elves better than mermaids.

Even though I actually live at the Pacific, I just like cold Atlantic weather better
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

avatar

Pisces Monkey
Posts : 766
Join date : 2012-07-14
Age : 49
Location : St-Michel/Orge - France

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm

You'll notice the wavedancers' fears were never explored or detailed...

___________________________________________________
            
Back to top Go down
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/pcoquelin/library/?sort=3&pag
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:17 pm

@Kindredsoul wrote:

As for me, my heart went out to the Wavedancers due to this character...
That's Reef.

I've come to the conclusion that Wendy Pini is an amazing artist... one of the best.

But she only draws beautiful elves...

@Kindredsoul wrote:

His age is unknown (at least from what I know) but he spent thousands of years like this....
Because of Winnowill. You think Two-Edge was broken because of her? Reef was named "The Broken One" because of the detrimental damage Winnowill did to him both physically and mentally.

... Now before you say, "That wasn't beautiful!" That's because Reef was reshaped to look like that. Are there, really, any ugly-born elves? Smile Anyway - that's not what this is about! Just a side bar!

@Kindredsoul wrote:

So it's no wonder the entire Wavedancers tribe not only mistrusted humans, but they were fully justified in their mistrust of other elves as well. But it was The Broken One who saved Cutter.
I guess my heart tends to go out to the characters who've suffered more than others, but Reef truly stole my heart when it came to the Wavedancers. He is PROOF that they are courageous and strong when many think they're skittish and weak.  I love you
Anyway... hope that's a start

That was a pretty cool start. But if it's empathy towards those who have suffered; that's pretty much all of the Elves, except for the Sun Folk. The Sun Folk are the only ones who really had no issues (other than the occasional Earthquake which led to the Zwoots trampling everything). The Wolfriders experienced constant loss against the humans, lost their home, betrayed by trolls, suffered at the hands of the Gliders, then had some die at the hands of the trolls... The Go-Backs essentially lived to die, because all they cared about was the Palace... and the Gliders, they suffered perhaps the most - in silence and fear - like abused children, fearful of their father - or, in this case "mother" (Winnowill).

But I get it, something about Reef really called out to you. I can understand that! Smile

@Redhead Ember wrote:

As for them being scared little tuna fish; I still think that was mostly Surge telling them that they had to be. Sure, they might not turn into Go-Backesque warriors but they'll fight, they'll definitely fight!
Besides; if Sunstream could get equiped with some sort of venom in his frills who's to say the others - slightly shapechanged - ones haven't had similiar enhancements?

It's cool to speculate until the sun comes up (or down, depending on when you're reading this) - I haven't seen it in the Wave Dancers so far. I mean, I could speculate to make them awesome by making them more like Aquaman (commanding Sea life and doing some crazy stuff). But that's just not happening. At least not yet.

@Miss Gillespie wrote:
I don't hate them, but I don't care either. The 'pacific-y' theme doesn't grow on me (water elves, that are more like Northern European water spirits would be more of more my thing*)
*but then, we already have enough white elves

They prefer the term "Euro-White-Elf" (not to be confused with "You're-A-White-Elf"). Two very different things.

@kathleen3.0 wrote:
What is wrong with the Pacific? Sorry if the best ocean in the world is too darn awesome for you.

Uh, pretty sure, Miss G, explained why (the whole too many "Euro-White-Elf" types!) Wink

@manga wrote:
At a guess, Miss Gillespie isn't thrilled by the Disney-like tropical nature of the Wavedancers. But I'm just guessing, not trying to put words in her mouth. I will point out that the Wavedancers seem to be more rainbow pastel than actually white...

Well, no need to guess, she said why! Am I the only one who read that line? Wink

@Multi-Facets wrote:
@Tymber wrote:
Let's do this! Sell me on what you love about these characters! I'd sincerely like to hear it - get some light shed on me, as to what others see (that I am clearly missing) about these characters since you named quite a few Wave Dancers there. Wink
Now I know how Cutter felt when Strongbow challenged him. :-P These are all my opinions, so your mileage will assuredly vary.

LOL! Now, if I was only as cut, lean, and attractive as Cutter... Smile

@Multi-Facets wrote:

Well, a lot of it is due to their choices. When Sunstream and Brill first met, she could have tried to drive him off somehow out of fear or at least surprise. But instead she chose to hear him out, get to know him, and helped set off the events that started breaking the Wavedancers out of their fearful ways. And she also got everything she had been wanting for so long because she chose to be open to new people and new experiences, to hear more about the world beyond where she lived.

This I can definitely understand. In that regard, Brill was very much the "Cutter" of the Wave Dancers, being open to new elves. One of the main things I love about Cutter (and admittedly, shove into my own characters - such as Shadow, in the Stonehowl Holt stories I do for the grab bags).

@Multi-Facets wrote:

Krill I like because hey, I'm a twin too. And Krill was dedicated to taking care of the tribe by hunting for them, and when the s--t hit the fan, she sided with Brill, again choosing something new and strange that ended up being beneficial. Brill's happiness obviously means a lot to Krill, just as my twin's happiness means a lot to me.

And this I can also see (in many ways, Krill reminds me of being Brill's Skywise; where as Brill is like Cutter).

@Multi-Facets wrote:

And Reef. Oh, Reef. My heart goes out to him. I've been battling suicidal depression and anxiety since I was twelve, and I know what it's like to feel so broken and utterly alone. I have stared into the abyss of insanity, and it grinned and winked at me, and whispered "You'll give in. I can wait." It's going to win one day, I know it. But at least I'll take it with me.

Reef had to live with that for gods know how long before he was able to be healed, and even now, he has serious PTSD. But he did survive until he could be healed, and while it will be some time more before he can completely open up and move further beyond the trauma, he has his tribe with him and a friend in Korafay, who are all supporting and encouraging him. Reef's story is one of healing inside and out, and as someone who is also mentally ill, I want him to feel safe and get better.

That's actually a beautiful reason for loving Reef. In the "least favorite elf" thread - someone mentioned disliking Pike. My initial reaction was to defend Pike; until they explained that their father was an alcoholic, and that Pike's drunkeness is not amusing or funny, because they saw a reflection of their father in Pike. There is no way to argue against such emotional commitments. So for that, I can totally respect your love of Reef.

@Multi-Facets wrote:

That's why I like them.

Loved - LOVED - getting that in-depth read into your reasoning - and can certainly respect the Wave Dancers much more reading your passion for them!

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

avatar

Posts : 1093
Join date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:31 pm

@Tymber wrote:


That was a pretty cool start. But if it's empathy towards those who have suffered; that's pretty much all of the Elves,

It's more than empathy. But I'll leave it at that

___________________________________________________
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
Back to top Go down
Blackbird

avatar

Aquarius Tiger
Posts : 258
Join date : 2015-03-25
Age : 31
Location : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:35 pm

@Tymber wrote:
Are there, really, any ugly-born elves?

Well...I always thought Pike looked like a garden-gnome.. Laughing
They may not be ugly, but sure ain't gorgeous either..

___________________________________________________
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2776
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 am

Kureel was particularly ugly, I thought. One Eye wasn't ugly-- but he was certainly plain. Who else?

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 am

@Kindredsoul wrote:
@Tymber wrote:

That was a pretty cool start. But if it's empathy towards those who have suffered; that's pretty much all of the Elves,
It's more than empathy. But I'll leave it at that

Beat me over the head! (Rest assured, I need it from time to time! More often than not, repeatedly!)

@Blackbird wrote:
@Tymber wrote:
Are there, really, any ugly-born elves?
Well...I always thought Pike looked like a garden-gnome.. Laughing
They may not be ugly, but sure ain't gorgeous either..

What?! I always thought Pike had the baby face thing going for him with his big squirrel cheeks!

@Lunakat wrote:
Kureel was particularly ugly, I thought. One Eye wasn't ugly-- but he was certainly plain. Who else?

True about Kureel. He seemed like an old, bitter elf, the way he was drawn.
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

avatar

Sagittarius Dog
Posts : 288
Join date : 2015-03-31
Age : 34
Location : The Downstairs Domain

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:54 am

@Tymber wrote:
Loved - LOVED - getting that in-depth read into your reasoning - and can certainly respect the Wave Dancers much more reading your passion for them!

Thank you very much for hearing me out. I really appreciate it, and I'll certainly listen to your reasons for liking or disliking characters should the subject come up.

I do admit, though, my "first loves" will always be the Wolfriders.

___________________________________________________
“Stay drunk on writing so reality doesn’t destroy you.” - Ray Bradbury.
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : O'er Der.....

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:39 am

@Tymber wrote:
@Kindredsoul wrote:
@Tymber wrote:

That was a pretty cool start. But if it's empathy towards those who have suffered; that's pretty much all of the Elves,
It's more than empathy. But I'll leave it at that

Beat me over the head! (Rest assured, I need it from time to time! More often than not, repeatedly!)

@Blackbird wrote:
@Tymber wrote:
Are there, really, any ugly-born elves?
Well...I always thought Pike looked like a garden-gnome.. Laughing
They may not be ugly, but sure ain't gorgeous either..

What?! I always thought Pike had the baby face thing going for him with his big squirrel cheeks!

@Lunakat wrote:
Kureel was particularly ugly, I thought. One Eye wasn't ugly-- but he was certainly plain. Who else?

True about Kureel. He seemed like an old, bitter elf, the way he was drawn.

My mental image of Rolf the Glutton wasnt too "pretty", but I cant remember if he was WP drawn or not. Several non-WP elves werent pretty, but that wasnt the question I guess.

Makes for fanfic material though. The child would have to be born to a tribe with no healer (or at least one who couldnt think outside the box and "fix" "imperfections"

The Hunchback of Blue Mountain? Egg's egg hatches an Ugly Duckling?

...maybe Winnie was ugly before she came into her powers and all the condescending pity caused her to go a little "princess psychosis" after she "fixed" herself to make the magic mirror happy? Shoot, for that matter, maybe all the gliders were ugly and she "fixed" them back before she went completely dingbat?

Aroree: "Hey Skywise, Just found an old yearbook, come look!"
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3175
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:42 am

@Tymber wrote:
It's cool to speculate until the sun comes up (or down, depending on when you're reading this) - I haven't seen it in the Wave Dancers so far. I mean, I could speculate to make them awesome by making them more like Aquaman (commanding Sea life and doing some crazy stuff). But that's just not happening. At least not yet.

The main reason I think it could be cool if they had some sort of venom is because Ardan seemed so convinced it's the case. Would be neat - in a twisted way - if it turns out he was more right than first assumed.
As for commanding sea life; well... imagine if they got to tame some of those belly rippers!
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

avatar

Sagittarius Dog
Posts : 288
Join date : 2015-03-31
Age : 34
Location : The Downstairs Domain

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

I like the way you think, Ember. ^n_n^

___________________________________________________
“Stay drunk on writing so reality doesn’t destroy you.” - Ray Bradbury.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3175
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Bit like how I was a bit freaked out when Angrif guessed that what Ember was suffering from was some sort of separation sickness.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2776
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 am

Looking at the cover for 11... I think that Leetah is probably trying to coax Cutter down from his tree when he freaks out. That's my guess. Skywise looks like he is saying goodbye. The teaser reads that, along with several others (including Winnowil), Skywise decides to pursue his heart's desire. I think that means leaving Cutter and going to the stars. He looks as if he is waving goodbye.

I wonder what the heart's desire of Winnowil is... and what happens when she tries to pursue it?

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
TrollHammer

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : O'er Der.....

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:36 am

She makes them all drink special "kool-aid" in a mass suicide, leaving her spirit free to rule them all: and unlike anyone in GoT, she then cant be dethroned by beheading, poisoning, stabbing, throat-slitting, or other death-inducing method.

She then turns the Palace into a pirate spaceship and takes her zombie crew on a raid across the universe.


Whoops, wrong thread...
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

avatar

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-04-25
Location : Shanghai

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:15 am

@Tymber wrote:
Are there, really, any ugly-born elves? Smile

If they happen to be male and baddies, sure. Kureel, Surge, Door (maybe, he has kinda generic Glider face). I like the look of Zey and Two-Spear (they look quite similar, don't they), but they aren't too good-looking either.

Hm, recently female villains are seldom ugly, maybe people don't dare to show a woman, who is ugly on the inside and the outside...
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2015-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:12 pm

I just wanted to comment re: technology.

First off, it's been fifty thousand years on our world since Homo sapiens started displaying the type of behaviours we typically associate with all modern humans, and almost two hundred thousand years since we emerged as a species. In that time, some technology has independently arisen several times in several areas. In some cases, this was incredibly successful, leading to things like the agricultural revolution. In other areas, such as steam technology, it took a few false starts before it caught on.

The abode humans, in less than half that time, have gone from either homo erectus, or homo heidelbergensis, to Homo sapiens displaying modern style behaviour. In fact, if you include emergence as a species, it's been a small fraction of that time.

If anything, they're advanced.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

avatar

Posts : 491
Join date : 2015-04-25
Location : Shanghai

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:42 am

Prediction:

1. Most of the Wavedancers are going to die in the attack of the Djunn's fleet
2. Skywise is going to have sex with Timmain, but there will be no recognising
3. Moonshade is having her wolfblood removed, Strongbow accepts her decision
4. Oddbit whips her husband and her children/descendants into their senses, no need for battles just because some elves incited you into it!
5. Winnowill is allowed to leave Rayek
6. Mender finally hooks up with Dart <3

Last issue had 20 pages of comic, makes about 3 pages per for above mentioned story-line

___________________________________________________
It's a dolphin!
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3175
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #11   Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:56 am

One thing I really like is the fact that although Angrif is dead his fleet is still going to attack. Not because I want the Wavedancers to die, but because it shows that in most cases killing the "Big Bad" will not cause everything he has build up to instantly crumble and fall down.
Back to top Go down
 
Final Quest #11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Final Quest
» Final Quest #9
» Final Quest #10
» Final Quest #11
» Final Quest #12

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest Comic Discusions-
Jump to: