View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:12 am

@Redhead Ember wrote:
Why does everybody hate Teir?

I don't know why one would hate him. I like him. Smile

Saying that I also don't really have some hated elf. I haven't read all of the stories, thogh (e.g. BotC, Rebels, Jink) so I can't completely judge it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:53 am

@Embala wrote:
At least she seems fine with living Yun ... : but she's half Wolfrider. Skywise smile

@Redhead Ember wrote:
Suppose if Yun Counts, then so does Venka, and she might be the person to change the mentality of the Go-Backs.
Venka

The difference between them is that Yun was raised a Go-Back, but Venka was raised among the Wolfriders.

Read 'Beyond Mere Flight' - click here!
Skywise Wink thanks to Embala for the banner! Kahvi )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sifra

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 pm

There was a time that I really disliked Cutter. I used to roleplay a lot with my friends and in every Elfquest roleplaying game we did I killed him off. I even had him blown up by Vegeta in a Dragonball Z crossover rpg. Embarassed
Now I don't have least favorite elf anymore, I think...

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 am

@Sifra wrote:
There was a time that I really disliked Cutter. I used to roleplay a lot with my friends and in every Elfquest roleplaying game we did I killed him off. I even had him blown up by Vegeta in a Dragonball Z crossover rpg. Embarassed  

Awesome! Pike Rolling Pike Rolling Pike Rolling

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davrille

Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 pm

@Redhead Ember wrote:
@Miss Gillespie wrote:
I'm not saying they don't know what balls are for, I'm saying that the lack of balls shouldn't matter to them. Is Ekuar less a person because he is missing limbs? If there was an elf without testicles, who didn't want to change this, do you think others would make fun of him?

It wasn't an elf who got his balls chopped off, was it? Just because it wouldn't matter to an elf doesn't mean the elves don't know it would matter to a human, especially one as proud as Angrif.
Besides - as has been mentioned - Krim very likely didn't do it merely to humiliate Angrif, but rather because:

1: No ball = no children.

2: It hurts.

I got the impression that Krim had actually cut off part of his penis, not the testicles, from the "Both sons dead, and a weapon that cannot reach its mark!" comment.

And Ember's comment: "If I understand you right, didn't Krim whittle all chance of that away?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:45 am

Well... no penis = no children too, and I also think that would hurt quite a bit. Krim Grin

Thanks for the banner, Embala. Ember
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Where on earth are we getting the idea that "it wouldn't matter to an elf"?

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Is it in reference to a size thing maybe?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:50 am

I dunno. Maybe they have a cloaca, and mate like birds? It's not like we ever saw it, no? Maybe they are ovoviviparous... Anything is possible! Krim Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:45 am

I think what was being referred to is the fact that elves probably wouldn't suffer from "size envy", or consider anyone less a man just because he lost his man-bits.

That guy in HY9 who said he wished he was as well-endoved as a zwoot was probably joking, at least I really hope he was... for an elf being as well-endoved as a zwoot would probably be rather impractical.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:58 am

Considering how much elves seem to like sex, I would think that losing "man bits" would be a pretty big deal. Ember's comment and Krim's glee when she did it seem, also, to indicate that they understand the humiliation factor involved. Then, yeah-- we have a sun-villager expressing how impressed he is by the size of a zwoot. So, clearly man bits matter to them-- and clearly size is something they consider to be a plus.

The rest of it is just a lot of assumption on our part.

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 am

I'm sure the elves would figure out a way to make it work it a guy should lose his "man bits", but maybe they know humans aren't quite as creative.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm sure that's what healers would be for... to grow them back.

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:23 pm

So. My favorite characters are probably Rayek and Mender (I didn't like him before so much, but I like how grey he's gotten). I've always loved Kahvi as well. Ember grew on me - I didn't think much of her until Wildhunt, when she got her own story and really got to grow as a chief, and had to grapple with all kinds of stuff. Pike is another one I didn't really think anything of until Dream Time. He's continued to gain depth and wisdom, and I dig him.

Strongbow I'll always love, because I just love how fixed he is in his personality. I find something heartbreakingly tragic about him. Especially now.

Least favorite : Ehhh, I'm not much into the Wave Dancers, never have been. I have a strange, irrational dislike of Brill. She's just so freakin' boring.

Sunstream used to be interesting but got really boring.

Leetah was my original favorite, and I loved her because she was an independent-minded healer, but now I feel she's a bit dull. I'll always have a soft spot for her.

And then there's Timmain, who I've just never been a fan of.

lol, anyone else?

Oh yeah. Skywise. I used dislike him because of how codependent he is with Cutter. Dude's got some abandonment issues, I realize. But I'm happy he's finally coming into his own, even though Timmain totally shot him down with the pod thing.
I really kind of hope he doesn't recognize her. I'd like him to recognize eventually (I mean again, and to have his own little family) just to kind of experience a different type of growth. But I hope it's not with Timmain.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:44 am

I also hope Skywise and Timmain won't recognize. Mostly because it's what everyone's expecting to happen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Skywise, because he seems completely overrated.

Like, we get told how clever he is, and okay, he's smart, but he's not any smarter than Cutter, or Leetah, or anyone else, really. His main character traits seem to be clinging to Cutter, or moping about how no one appreciates him. All the really cool stuff he does, like learning to pilot the Palace, takes place off screen, so we get told stuff, but we never see it.

And something bothers me about his treatment of women. Can't quite touch on what it is, though. He strikes me as a guy who acts like women not wanting to kiss him is a strike against feminist principles of sexual expression. There it is.

I guess my other one would be Winnowill. I mean, she's cool as a villain, but her backstory is so ludicrous. I think it's meant to illustrate that horrific acts have as much an affect on the abuser as the victim, but I think too much attention is paid to that in society in the first place. Then using her as the go to villain in all the plots thereafter was ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sifra

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Kathleen3.0 I feel the same way about the victims and abusers.
And it would be nice to see them resolve the issue with Winnowill and move on to other evil things.

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:24 pm

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the Skywise thing, Kathleen3.0...it sums it up for me as well.

And regarding Winnowill, I sort of liked that, at first, they gave a 'back story' about why she was so twisted - ludicrous or not, I appreciated the attempt. But then it just feels like the potential became squandered somehow, or maybe the storytellers couldn't decide what the hell to do with her exactly, so they just made her responsible for pretty much EVERY EVIL THING EVER and then stuck her in Rayek's head, which is fitting considering he's the other character they don't seem to know what the hell to do with.

On the plus side, there's a lot of fun to be had because of this subplot since it's become pure comedy gold (See: Sifra's awesome comic Very Happy )

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nomad-Human

Scorpio Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Hhmmm. My least favorite elves, well there are the ones who I find so boring that I tend to skim right over them. I don't hate them, per say... but they hold zero interest for me and they are:

1. Newstar. Uh... has she ever done anything in the plot besides look pretty?

2. Any Glider who isn't Aroree. I just can't get involved with their story. The art deco/art noveau asthetic is glorious though.

3. Venka. While she is gorgeous to look at, she suffers from being too perfect for me. I am, however, willing to say that better writing and a deeper look at her beyond her glistening perfection could change my mind. I want to care about her, I just can't. No passion, just perfection and I get bored out of my mind.

Then there is the middle area between bored and hate. I don't hate these characters and I'm not bored by them, but I can't say that I like them either.

1. Rayek. His attempted genocide of the Go-Backs was too much for me. As a person who had a Holocaust survivor for a grandmother I've seen what hate based on group indentification does. If a fictional character does something that would be considered a war crime or a attempted crime against humanity in reality... I can't forgive it in a fictional character.

Having said that, he's very dynamic and you can truly depend on him to move plots along. I used to hate him with a passion, but no longer. But while I've come to appreciate him and what he brings to the story, I can't say I like him. Take heart Manga, he did end up growing on me a bit over the years since I was on the Scroll.

2. Timmain. I like her as the mostly not talking presence of a half feral Firstcomer but that is IT. A bit boring in the Now, but in the Then she's interesting. I have a very selfish reason for her being on the halfway point on this list. I'm a DIEHARD Skywise/Aroree fan and HATE the idea of him recognizing Timmain or lifemating with her in any way. It's a pretty self involved reason, but not everything is logical.

Then there's straight up hate. The characters who I want to just exit stage left and never be seen again.

1. Scouter, except for standing by Dewshine when she recognized Mr. Unpronounceable Name, he's been a jackass from start to finish. I've never liked him and think Dewshine and Tyleet deserved better. In fact I hope they end up without him but stay lifemated to each other. Not that that will ever happen because all the gay in EQ is of the male variety. Except for a brief glimpse of Nightfall and Leetah dancing naked by a lake, f/f might as well be kryptonite. I've yet to see any time devoted to the Dewshine/Tyleet relationship. Are they in love? Are they as connected to each other as they are to Scouter? Are they more than just sister-wives... which is what they reek of. Ugh... just ditch jackass Scouter (who is mean, petty and cruel) and give us the first f/f lifemated couple in EQ!

2. Winnowill. I used to LOVE her. She was SUCH a good villain, I loved the creeping aura of evil and darkness she used to bring. Flawless execution right there, a villain that I loved to hate.

And then the panel ran where we saw her abuse Two-Edge, his little boy face as he screamed and cried in agony as she broke his mind. And I hated her and no longer cared about her backstory, her evil, her possible mental illness. She was a child abuser and I wanted her dropped in a hole so deep she'd rot to death in it. I have a little boy who is now the age Two Edge is implied to be when the abuse got into high gear and... I can't. The visceral reaction I have to a parent willingly doing that to their own child. Hell to ANY CHILD is beyond my ability to sympathize with for any reason.

And she NEVER got her comeuppance for it. Everyone wanted to understand her pain. What about Two-Edge's pain as he begged for his Mommy to stop hurting him and to love him and it never happened???

The elves of EQ's greatest sin was never confronting her as a child abuser and never reaching out to Two-Edge as her greatest victim. I judged them all for it then and I still do now.

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Tbh, I really judge the writers for that. WARP took too few chances with their writing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Startear

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:06 pm

@Leanan wrote:
Number three... you'll probably be surprised. It's Pike. He does have his good moments and a gentle heart. So does my father. My father is an alcoholic. So I never found Pike's drunkenness the least bit funny. Yes I know dreamberries are magical and help remember stories and so on... my father used to tell great stories too. It didn't make my childhood any easier.

I... I think this comment right here pinpoints what always felt so wrong about him to me. Pike's drunkeness was never funny to me either, and how little it seems to affect others of the tribe was always so puzzling. Did the others in his tribe really not feel it matters? Did they really not take it seriously? Or did it not matter because it never made him snap, or lay hands on others?

As for me, I've always had a strong dislike for Strongbow. He demands that you change after the ideals of his tribe.

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nomad-Human

Scorpio Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 pm

@kathleen3.0 wrote:
Tbh, I really judge the writers for that. WARP took too few chances with their writing.

While I grasp that the elves aren't real and all they do is either a reflection of good or bad writing on Wendy's part, I still have to put what happened in the plot in the context of the culture and the characters she wrote. So... regardless of the quality of the writing... the elves still swept horrific child abuse under the rug, never cared for the the victim of it and never penalized the perpertrator of it.

And that's why I want Winnie to SUFFER.

Granted Wendy also wrote herself into a corner with her. Winnie couldn't be contained in a prison as her magic was too powerful for that. Because of that magic, her spirit was too powerful to be contained in the Palace, so she couldn't be killed. She's stuck in Reyak's dome but that's temporary, eventually she'll overcome him, it's only a matter of time. It may take centuries but someday she'll be free.

That's one hell of a corner to find yourself in with a character. No wonder she sent her off in Reyak's head and hoped we'd accept that and forget about her. There's not much else left that Wendy can do without a retcon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:47 pm

@Startear wrote:
@Leanan wrote:
Number three... you'll probably be surprised. It's Pike. He does have his good moments and a gentle heart. So does my father. My father is an alcoholic. So I never found Pike's drunkenness the least bit funny. Yes I know dreamberries are magical and help remember stories and so on... my father used to tell great stories too. It didn't make my childhood any easier.

I... I think this comment right here pinpoints what always felt so wrong about him to me. Pike's drunkeness was never funny to me either, and how little it seems to affect others of the tribe was always so puzzling. Did the others in his tribe really not feel it matters? Did they really not take it seriously? Or did it not matter because it never made him snap, or lay hands on others?

Pike does make me laugh sometimes, but not when he's inebriated. If I remember right, it didn't bother me so much when I was younger, maybe because I was frequently drunk myself those days. But as I grew out of that phase, it started to look less amusing. I think what made me see it as a problem was that bit where he says he is "already Recognized to dreamberries". (Somewhere in the storylines about the early times of Ember's chieftainship). That just seemed so sad and "wrong" to me. He says he has the deepest possible kind of relationship with, basically, a narcotic substance. And the others just laugh like it's the joke of the century. And after reading that, earlier instances of his addiction being the subject of a joke seemed sad and "wrong" too.

On the subject of least favorite characters, and drunkenness, I should add Bearclaw to my list too. He was the kind of drunk that DID lay hands on others - worst of all, his own son when he was still little.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:22 pm

It seems Pike has been more sober lately, though. Certainly there's been some 'sobering' things that've happened to him. He's shown a lot of wisdom in general from Dream Time onward into now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Who is your least favorite elf?   Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:28 pm

I understand that personal experiance with an alcoholic among family/frineds can build up a massive dislike of any form of drunkeness. The view, even simple mentioning evokes sad, bad and often hurting memories.

IS Pike actually a drunk, an alcoholic in human terms? Yes, dreamberries cause an intoxination that looks exactly like drunkeness. We could discuss whether it was wise of Wendy and Richard to use this comparison to illustrate the effects of dreamberry eating. I won't do this.

I ask you to look at the story only. Don't we forget a few facts by "judging" Pike as a drunk?

Yes, he loves the dreamberries more than (most of) his tribemates.
Yes, we see him under the influence of those berries more often.
Yes, this makes for one or the other "funny" situation. (Are there really SO many?)

But ...has Pike acted undependable? Irresponsible? Whiney? Aggressive? Has he hurt or endangered himself or family and friends in dreamberry-drunken state?

As far as I remember he was ALWAYS a trustworthy guard and warrior. A supportive tribemate who has an open ear and good advice for the others.
It has some significance for me that dreamberry-eating was never shown with the negative effects of human drunkenness. Not with Pike, not with Skywise and not even with Bearclaw. Each time things went wrong and behavior became critical dreamberry wine was involved. Fresh dreamberries obviously don't cause the effects that go with alcoholism ... otherwise we should have seen more alcoholics among the Wolfriders because those berries are an integral part of their culture. Dreamberry wine does ... Bearclaw proved (for some twenty years in a life lasting more than a millenium).

In addition ... Pike is supposed to eat dreamberries more often, care for them and enjoy them more than his tribemates. It's part of his job!

You remember? The first dreamberries were created by an ancient treeshaper (Firstcomer or Firstborn) to trigger memories and help Wolfriders to remember their origin and ancestors. And they enable the howlkeepers to memorize those stories of the past and "play back" the records. Dreamberries were not designed to harm the elves by intended use.
Pike is the only howlkeeper we could watch being active over a long time. The only other one died before the story even started and we got just some minor sneek peeks on Longbranch's activities. Therefore we don't have a comparism whether Pike's behavior and dreamberry use is within the normal bandwidth for a storyteller. As Pike is highly functional in daily life, during and after critical situations and in his job I've made up my mind that it IS within the normal and healthy range.

@Leanan wrote:
I think what made me see it as a problem was that bit where he says he is "already Recognized to dreamberries". (Somewhere in the storylines about the early times of Ember's chieftainship). That just seemed so sad and "wrong" to me. He says he has the deepest possible kind of relationship with, basically, a narcotic substance. And the others just laugh like it's the joke of the century. And after reading that, earlier instances of his addiction being the subject of a joke seemed sad and "wrong" too.
Pike's metaphor that he's "already recognized to dreamberries" can be seen the way that he really loves his profession with the same right. He enjoys this task as a storyteller and finds true satisfaction in it. Many of us Humans wish for the same, don't they?
This statement can express a very positive aspect, especially when you consider that he was in a happy relationship and enjoyed family life at that time.

Who is your least favorite elf?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next