Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!

Go down 
+6
Jeedai
Kindredsoul
Nightsea
TrollHammer
Sadachbia
manga
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Empty
PostSubject: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 12:53 pm

hi guys! so i was shooting the breeze with my friend Amethyst...know as Sadachbia on the scroll of colors. she does a lot of elfquest art, and even draws her own AU elfquest fancomic! her art style is very elfquesty.

well i made a description generator for her a while ago, and it made her wonder about being able to have a game where you could make the characters visually. so that is in the works! but right now, we're just figuring out exactly what clothing and other options she'd need to draw.  so give us suggestions on what features you'd especially like to see in the elf maker! otherwise pick things you REALLY want to see from this general list she made for herself in elf creating. https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0yzp0pid1ksgus/elf%20generator%202013-3-10.pdf?dl=0

Art samples from her:

we're also considering having an RGB slider or similar to allow you to choose the colors for clothing and skin and hair, to allow more freedom of creation and originality. We are also thinking of having Ola of Doll Divine doing the programing for the game.

body bases currently in the list

Male and Female High One

Male and Female short elves(aka Wolfrider, Sunfolk, Go-back)

Male and Female tall elves(aka Glider, Wavedancer, Firstborn)

Male and Female child

List of clothing to come:

Last edited by Vaeri on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Things that come to mind:

Clothes.

Hairstyles.

Facial features. This page has some helpful references, though it's too bad there doesn't seem to be a collection of male faces to go with the female faces.

Weapons, maybe? Jewelry! Especially for the Sun Folk.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:03 pm

definitely clothes and hair styles, but we'd like specifics. like "oh Moonshade's red and black dress from Thorny Mountain!"
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:08 pm

*waves*

Just looking at the first issue of the comics, I can see I'd have to do a lot of individual drag-and-drop pieces because there are SO many different décor and personalisation things in Elfmom's art. Borders, swirls/curlicues, and sashes for High Ones, fringed and beaded edges in Wolfrider clothes, various hairbands and armlets/anklets for Sun Folk, Ember's hair ornament late in Hidden Years…

I'd probably start with making a bunch of individual little pieces based on the random options in the old Elfquest RPG. It listed things like "tunic and hose" or "jumpsuit" and then had a separate list of little décor bits like "loincloth" or "feather edging". Most of these would need separate versions to fit on the different bases, but that's easy to do.

Last edited by Sadachbia on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://AmethystSadachbia.deviantART.com
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Well then my response is all the clothes! Except the ones from "Final Quest." If I wanted naked elves, I'd just leave the clothes off. Razz
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Sadachbia wrote:
*waves*

Hiya, Sadachbia! So when do we get more "Children of the World" already? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

manga wrote:
Sadachbia wrote:
*waves*

Hiya, Sadachbia! So when do we get more "Children of the World" already? Smile

After I finish Return to Innocence. xD
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 pm

If I wanted to get super-OCD about all the little details, I could include different stitching types, like how Cutter's pants in OQ had parallel horizontal stitching up the sides whereas Skywise's had X-shaped stitches. Maybe fine stitches vs. big obvious stitches for piecework leather clothing (and I think individually-coloured panels, so you could have a tunic that's all one colour or has panels of a contrasting/complementary colour, like Ember's FQ jacket). How many of these fine little details are important and how many could be left out and the dollmaker still be a satisfying experience?
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 1:58 pm

And when do we get more "Return to Innocence?" Wink

I guess it depends on if you want to do it and be done with it or want to continue fiddling after you've got it set up. If the latter, I'd say set out some basic clothes and then add more details as expansions. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Are the choices just elves? Or were maybe preservers/wolves a possibility? Just curious Wink

Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Santa_10Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Downlo23Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Av_cut10Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 2:31 pm

preservers and trolls are a consideration for the future. there are plenty of wolf makers already i think XD

but for right now, it's just elves in the works.
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 7:53 pm

manga wrote:
And when do we get more "Return to Innocence?"  Wink
I'm finishing the last of the lineart pages right now, then I have to colour them. All in all, there are 27 pages still to do, but once the lineart bit is squared away, I can probably finish about one a day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 8:00 pm

As Vaeri said, I would love to add some Preservers and trolls (plus some alternate elf options, mainly fish-tails for aquatic elves), but right now we're just focussing on the 7 basic elf bases (short elf, Firstborn, High One, and a unisex child base). Wendy provided male and female troll templates in the Elfquest RPG, and I added my own Preserver one, so they could be put in expansions. Maybe some additional body templates, too, if there's interest! (I drew some additional male and female elf templates.)
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 4:55 am

I vote for Trolls. I can provide lists of things that are Trollish if this becomes a feature (types of safety gear, clothes, tools)

I cant garantee I would be much help, but do seem to have a knack for troubleshooting code and whatnot. Ill help with whatever I can.

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 11:14 am

well for coding, we're in discussion with Ola about her doing the programing for the game once Amethyst is done with the art, or she'll point us to someone who can do the programing if she's unable.

like i said^^*points to title* right now for this game we're working on, it's just elves, though it would be awesome if we can get a troll and/or preserver game going in the future. so just sit tight onto those lists for now
Back to top Go down
Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 11:37 am

I stumbled on this thread today! I would say as someone who has been dolling EQ style for years this is great news. To have an artist start with EQ style art is awesome and I can't wait to see the result.

I'd note that in the current dollmakers, it is fairly easy to make little details if you give some basic shapes in a drag and drop. A square, circle, triange and some lines of different lengths would allow anyone to just drag and drop onto the doll base the shapes that would make crosshatching, fine detail
stitching on clothing, scars, weapons, etc. If you can't draw a straight line, having one that you can turn and position is the next best thing! As for all the different feathers and dangles, a few S curved lines work for those as well. You can make hairstyles, clothing details and just about anything with enough patience and creativity if given the basic shapes to work with.

For examples of what I mean you can see how we've made good use of dollmaker options in the old
scroll of colors doll thread. Recoloring is also very helpful for this.

I have a suggestion that you also look at the way heromachine version 3 works. It allows you
to reposition easily AND drag and drop. Layering is also provided...which is the best!

I'd love to help more in this project if there is any way you need contributions, just let me know!

Ayooah,
--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 am

alright! after a busy day of skimming through the comics, i've compilled a list of clothing you can expect to see in our flash game! i've posted it in my very first post.

so feel free to look through, and make suggestions on anything you think i might have missed!^^ note, i have largely left the glider/high one styled clothing to Amethyst, so this basically is for the short elves/children, and possibly firstborn.
Back to top Go down
Jeedai

Jeedai

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi all, first post to this forum.

Wish list... I for one would like to see teenage figures for male and female.

As for Preservers, if you dont know me from the Dollz thread Nightsea maintained on the former Scroll Of Colors, I've been compiling a swarm of self-made Preserver dolls for years, canon and Holt. All done up as layered vector art, and there's plenty to work up a dollmaking program from.

www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/6948/jeedais-preserver-nest/view_554678/?
http://elvenholt.twilightlegend.net/t65-jeedai-s-post-scroll-of-colors-dolls#213

Lots and lots and lots of hats. Dozens of eye/mouth combinations for different expressions. Gobs of wing sets. And alternate body forms (mer-tails, amphibian feet, different sized claws). Ready to go into a flash game. And I'd be happy to contribute much of what I've done to making one, and do put some extra work to make a batter game.

What I lack is the programing skills to make the flash game.

If there's a way we could work together to make a program, I'm all ears.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 8:06 pm

teenager figures...ehhh...that's up to Amethyst herself. there's already so much to be drawn, and we'd like to see about all of the dolls having around the same clothing options. another male/female base would quadruple that work load. so i can't say anything.

i for one can not deny a preserver maker would be excellent. the only thing i can say for your art is if you want it to be made into a flash game, it has to be lineart on transparent backround with a certain level transparent shading to allow the color underneath to be shaded but not too much, such as this https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/18/70/57/21/senshi13.jpg. i don't know if your stuff is all permanently colored, or if it's in layers and you just have to disable the color and background.

i can have a talk with Ola of Doll divine. she's not doing any work now, she's far too busy with life and Drachea Rannak's Sailor Senshi Maker update(which i've kinda been helping with too, go fig), but she did mention knowing other programmers who might be willing to take on the project now. just to forwarn you, some programers will do it for free with only a condition they be credited in the game for their work, or some may require money for their time. i'm not sure who asks what, i just want you to be aware.

so if you want me to ask her, go ahead and send me a pm, and i'll let you know in pm what she tells me.

(how do i end up involved with all these flash games creation? XD)
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:55 pm

*waves* Hi Jeedai! ^_^

I'm not picky about anything, btw. Just thrilled to play with anything new Laughing

Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Santa_10Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Downlo23Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Av_cut10Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Jeedai

Jeedai

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 12:41 am

Hi, Kindredsoul.

All of my Preserver stuff was/is done on Illustrator as vector graphics. So it can be fully transparent, semi transparent (all wings and fins were done on 66.6% opacity) and colored whatever assuming a game version had a color swatch selection like Hero Machine. Converted into pixelized lineart, whatevs.

But I wouldnt feel comfortable paying someone to form a flash game from my files, as Preservers arent copyrighted to me. It'd have to stay on the level of not-for-profit fanart. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread - but I absolutely love those images that are a nod to the "pictures" on the back of the OG covers. I really miss those... Wish FQ did it.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:14 pm

then i can see about finding a programer who just wants credit for making the game. don't give up! i did say only some, and i could be wrong! i thought Ola would charge for her time and skills, but she doesn't, so i was pleasantly surprised. i'll send her an email and ask about the other programmers.

EDIT: done! sent her an email asking for programmers who will do this for free. though i think you might have been slightly confused... this whole project would be non-profit, it's just some people charge for their time and skills. think of the Sailor Senshi Maker i'm helping with...in order to get new art for the update, Drachea required a commission fee, yet it doesn't infringe on copyrights because it's his own hand drawings, not copies, and it's only based on copyright items. same thing applies i believe for the Lord of the Rings dollmaker and such. so no worries about copyright infringement, as long as you're not charging people to play the game and you give proper credit to the copyright holders, which is easy.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 4:13 pm

A fan made EQ dollmaker is a great idea, Vaeri, often dreamt of by our EQ Dollers  ... and a HUGE project! *bows to everyone involved* Sadachbia's artwork will fit wonderfully!

I don't have special requests or suggestions, just lots of good wishes and the hope that this will be done and a success! *crossing fingers and toes*

Thinking about it ... I've learnt to injoy the "drag'n drop" additions some makers provide. They allow to create unexpected effects and can be used in ways they never were planned for.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

thank you Embala! i'm thrilled to be a part of this.^^ especially since i have some experience...i've experimented with flash, and i've been an artist for years, so i can understand the scope of what's involved for both. which i'd like to think makes me a suitable middle party.

and i sincerely hope i included everything possible for the drag and drops...they are indeed extremely useful, especially for the people with more creativity. i rather hope Ola is able to do the programing once the art is done, because she can code for a "brush mode" for the drag n drops...which is basically you turn on the brush mode option, click a drag n drop, then everytime you click on the doll, it drops that particular draggie until you turn the mode off. such a time saver!!

also i think there's a very strong possibility of this being completed, because Amethyst draws and colors her own comics...which takes a huuuge amount of patience. so i have faith in her! it's just a question of how long it'll take.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!   Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed! Empty

Back to top Go down

Unofficial Elf Maker in the works- opinions needed!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next