HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
manga

PostSubject: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:47 pm

From EQ.com

Kindred will be happy: there's a lot of Cutter on that list. Which is fitting as his family has been central to the story. In fact, I think Ember and Suntop/stream are the only kids we've really had a chance to watch grow up. Most of the rest have been time-skipped.

I actually tried to make a log-in for the EQ site so I could comment but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'm glad they included Rayek's experience and think Thornbrake did a pretty good job summing it up.

What do you like (from the list?) Is there anything you'd add?
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:08 pm

I like it all. Especially love the fact that it isn't just grand showings of fatherly love, but also those little everyday moments.

What I find really neat about the Rayek-example is that it isn't about, say, how he was determined to stay behind in the Citadel and look for Venka (in Shards), rr even how meeting her was the catalyst for him to stop his Palace-merger-plot. No; it was him grieving for her when he thought she had died after birth. Which means he was grieving for a child he though wasn't even his!

One moment I was kinda missing is another Pike-Sust one. In Wild Hunt, after Sust fails to bond with Stubtail, Scouter wonders if Sust's lack of interest in the wolves - and their lack of interest in him - might mean he's Skot's son. Pike's reply: "It means he's ours."

Oh, and Windkin rescuing Teir was pretty neat too, but I guess it's debateble whether that's a father-moment since Windkin didn't know Teir was his son until just before, if even that.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:01 pm

@Manga Did you fail to log in ... or have you tried to post and nothing happened?

In the second case look again tomorrow ... or the day after. Your first post needs to be "confirmed" (vocabulary?) by an admin.

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
manga

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:

What I find really neat about the Rayek-example is that it isn't about, say, how he was determined to stay behind in the Citadel and look for Venka (in Shards), rr even how meeting her was the catalyst for him to stop his Palace-merger-plot. No; it was him grieving for her when he thought she had died after birth. Which means he was grieving for a child he thought wasn't even his!

Exactly what has always touched me about that moment too, Redhead Ember! I wonder if he had been sending to the unborn babe. The script does say he feels around for her spirit. How would he be able to do that if he didn't already have a sense of her? Even without that though, it's still touching that he grieved even though she would not have been the daughter he hoped he was waiting for.

@Embala: I tried to register but haven't received the confirming email I was told to look for.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:42 pm

awww Sad

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:18 pm

This is really sweet, manga I love you Thanks for sharing.

I must admit, this really touched me, especially with Father's Day coming up. At least I get a sense of fatherhood from all the wonderful father characters in Elfquest where my own failed to be one.

I think we could find some more fatherly scenes in EQ to add to the list too Wink

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:57 pm

I don't know whether this qualifies as awesome ... and Bearclaw will not win the prize for best Daddy in EQ world. But this one would be - again - my addition.

-> here's the original scene

Last edited by Embala on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Devoted daddy would be Treestump, with Dewshine his only child, he probably doted on her when she was little. He certainly stood by her with her recognition to Tyldak.

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:35 am

So, for other fatherly moments, how about Strongbow backing up Dart when he offered to stay in the Sun Village and teach them how to hunt? He disapproved - but he was also willing to let his son make his own choices.
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:27 pm

While not a father/child moment, your mention of Strongbow and Dart reminds me of Dart and Kimo doing something similar for Shuna in "The Searcher and the Sword". She actually said something along the lines of "Thank you for loving me enough to let me make my own mistakes." Maybe Strongbow's influence all those centuries ago helped Dart do so.

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Cutter seemed to have done things right with the twins.  Although he never really understood Suntop/Sunstream's gift.  He made sure to spend as much time with him, teaching him what he could.  Of course Ember, was more like her father and a young leader in the making.  She would have more dad time than her brother, because he needed to train her to be a leader.  He has shown pride in both of his children, despite the very different paths that they have taken.

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Just something I've been thinking about, which kinda fits here.

Several of the characters have some pretty strong papa wolf tendencies, even characters who are otherwise very gentle:

The one time we show Woodlock lose his temper was when the humans came to Sorrow's End and he felt his cubs were potentially threatened.

Redlance fought with everything he'd got when the trolls attacked the Go-Back lodge during the first war.
Interestingly we've never seen him act as a papa wolf towards Tyleet, but that might be because Tyleet was actually raised in a fairly peaceful environment.

As one unfortunately bellyripper learned the hard way; you do not attempt to eat Sunstream's newborn daughter for breakfast, just... don't!

Then there's Rayek who, for all his faults, are definitely this towards Venka.
He certainly has his priorities straight during 'Shards':
Venka = not a prize worth trading for the Palace and the Scrolls!
Especially cool since Rayek had been denied every chance to get to raise her - if at least partly by his own mistake; taking the Palace to the future - and could as easily have Venka as being her mother's daughter.
Of course, judging by the issue 13 cover and the old teaser video

Issue 13:

Scouter challenged Ember because his son was in danger.
This was after he'd already proved to be very much a papa wolf to his adopted son.

Surge destroyed Crest Point because he couldn't bring himself to kill his son. But since he was the one who launched the attack in the first place I guess this is debateable how much papa wolf it was.

If I recall correctly it was mentioned somewhere that Lutei died protecting Kimo during the Go-Back war.

And that's not even mentioning all the other adult male Wolfriders. Of course I guess being part-wolf means you're bound to have some papa wolf tendencies.

Hungry Wolf
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Well, at least Picknose got ONE mention. Smile

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Thought it was cute enough to add I love you

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 pm

It is! I love you

and about Picknose ... http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=KOBW/KOBW07&p=18 ... look at his sleeve!

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: 20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome   Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Trollbabe wrote:
Well, at least Picknose got ONE mention.  Smile

Guess I could've included Picky in my little Papa Wolf list. He wasn't exactly thrilled when Trinket got kidnapped.
Even though he had several other kids, and grandkids, and great-grandkids, during the 10,000 year wait it's clear that it's Trinket who's still daddy's little girl.
He's not exactly thrilled when Trinket refers to Ekuar as "Papa Ekuar" either...
Back to top Go down

20 Times EQ Fathers were awesome
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1