HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Let it go... Let it go....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tymber

PostSubject: Let it go... Let it go....   Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 pm

So here's why you don't follow your childhood idols on things like Facebook and Twitter.

Because they begin vocalizing opinions on various things that may differ than your own (abortion, capital punishment, immigration laws, etc) and sometimes, they will post something - that seems to come out of left field with so much venom over something that, well, to me seems pretty trivial.

In the most recent case, WP posted about the Frozen/Else smirk. And right from the get go was pretty aggressive with her stance. Not really offering a "professional" critique of the image as to why she doesn't like it - but rather, suggesting, if she could she would literally urinate all over it.

I'm serious.

So let's break this down.

First there's this outburst (that maybe I am missing something) - that has to do with her VERY strong and VERY passionate dislike of Elsa (is that Elsa? I assume it is? I don't know Frozen all that well).

Seems pretty odd that a professional artist would speak about wanting to urinate all over it, rather than say, "Here's what I don't like about this image."

Let's move on.

Someone (probably jokingly) asks, "Does that mean we will never see Cutter with that smirk?"
And Wendy replies with, "Here's a fine statue of Cutter! It's the best ever" (or some such).

Now, I have the full Cutter statue, but I don't have the Cutter bust.

And I'd love to own it.

But really? That expression on the Cutter bust is inferior. It's just not done well. And not because I am comparing it to Wendy's art. But I just feel that the Cutter piece is inferior if you compare it to the Skywise and Leetah busts. His face just doesn't look right. (It might be because his eyes are so big they're almost uni-eyes).

Then she goes on to say that she "invented to Dreamworks" smirk - now I understand, she's probably being very sarcastic in her tone.

But all of this - over a doll?

You know, a doll - whose expression can not be changed.

It's not like you can apply a smirk make up when playing with the doll when you need a smirk, and a serious look when the doll needs a serious look.

It's. A. Doll.

I just thought this post from her seemed... very strange. Like ramblings of a mad woman. (Who may be mad at Hollywood for not doing an ElfQuest movie yet...)

Wonder if Dreamworks took her up on it and offered an insane amount of money, if she'd let them draw ElfQuest in the "Dreamworks" fashion?

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 pm

....wow.

There's no room for anything else with that ego, is there? Unfollowed her and the chosen ones years ago for that reason.

Also, I am proud to say I do not know the words to that damn song. In my head it goes "Let it go, let it go, I'm doing shit with snow"

Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:55 am

Well...

Looks like she edited the original post - to at least include some "reasoning" for disliking the sly smirk. Something she replied to with someone - and probably thought, "I should add this to my original post."

But she did go on to say - she would never do anything bad to Frozen, because so many kids love it. But she posts this because kids that love Frozen are probably too young to see this. (Or should be too young to be on Facebook).

But hold on. Let's read that comment about blaming the other toy with a smirk, being made by ASIANS because they don't know anything about the sly/smirk look? Wait. WHAT? Wasn't ElfQuest inspired by Japanese influence? And now you're just generalizing an Asian community?

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:37 am

She probably meant "designed in China", but didn't want to sound racist, so she wrote "Asia" instead

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:30 am

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ
Back to top Go down
http://servalspot.com
Sifra

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Sounds pretty childish to me.

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:35 pm

So there's a doll - for little girls - with an out-of character expression? So ... what?

I'm not supposed to get this rant, am I? Nope. I'm not.

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.

Last edited by Embala on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Embala wrote:
So there's a doll - for little girl - with an out-of character expression? So ... what?

I'm not supposed to get this rant, am I? Nope. I'm not.

Which is why it got even stranger.... I mean here she is saying she'd urinate all over the doll if she could... but then she says she'd never change it because kids love it...

I don't understand. But seriously, it sounded like she was out of her mind...

Back to top Go down
wolfmoonsky

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Kojiyumi, i love that video! It made my day the fist time I saw it! XD

"Sigh" Really lost all my respect fopr this woman. It made me sad at first. Now, i litterly feel nothing when i see this kind of ''things'' from her.

I really don't get it. I even refuse to try. It's a doll... why acting so childish and trow a tantrum about a freaking disney doll?!

What really bothers me, are those stupid comments from other people... do they think that Wendy is a goddess *or highone in this case*? No seriously... they agree with everything she says. Not just that, their reactions when they talk about her/richard/them... that they haven't kissed their feets yet. I can understand if they are your favorite artist, but ...

I just readed the last comments on facebook. A guy changed the "expression" of the doll.
Wendy: @Shawn - sorry. A sugar-glitter covered dog turd is still...you know.

.... yeah I just don't... yeah..
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

But... isn't it the same smirk she holds at the end of Let It Go?  At least it's what I see.

It's a damn pretty doll in my book. I'm not a big Frozen fan, but that's a really nice mold.  Paint job on the hair could be a bit lighter, but...

...but what do I know. I'm just a cat.

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:46 pm

This is really sad. All kinds of bitterness and bile in her comments.

Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:22 pm

wolfmoonsky wrote:

What really bothers me, are those stupid comments from other people... do they think that Wendy is a goddess *or highone in this case*? No seriously... they agree with everything she says. Not just that, their reactions when they talk about her/richard/them... that they haven't kissed their feets yet. I can understand if they are your favorite artist, but ...

That's why at the beginning of the thread, I said "This is why you should never follow someone you idolize" or whatever... because they begin expressing opinions that will smear whatever image you have of them in your head. I had the good fortune of meeting Wendy and Richard at SDCC _MANY_ moons ago (we're talking like 10+ years ago) and they were very kind. I was you typical crazed fan who broke out a pile of books, and the ElfQuest RPG to top it all off, and had them sign in. And they did so with wide smiles.

Then, comes the age of Facebook - and I started seeing a different light. And then there was a huge fall out between Richard Pini and myself over the forums. And I was seeing more of this human side - where anger, emotion, and (often times) irrational behavior was shining through.

And it just keeps increasing. It's weird.

wolfmoonsky wrote:

I just readed the last comments on facebook. A guy changed the "expression" of the doll.
Wendy: @Shawn - sorry. A sugar-glitter covered dog turd is still...you know.

.... yeah I just don't... yeah..

/sigh

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
But... isn't it the same smirk she holds at the end of Let It Go?  At least it's what I see.

It's a damn pretty doll in my book. I'm not a big Frozen fan, but that's a really nice mold.  Paint job on the hair could be a bit lighter, but...

Yes exactly, it does look like the smile at the end of your video

Kojiyumi wrote:
...but what do I know. I'm just a cat.
Meow =^_^=

About the notion you shouldn't follow favourite artists on Facebook, Twitter and else... I don't really follow George R.R. Martin, but he seems nice. And I like how he interacts with people, other shows etc.

Social media often shows sides in other people we'd rather not see, they don't have to be even mildly famous

BTW, the Leetah bust from Dark Horse looks ok, but Cutter and Skywise? Hell, no
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:43 am

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 am

I don't see any reason to create such a fuss about this, from either side.
Sure, going so much into rant-mode over a doll is silly, even childish, but we all have our weird little dislikes. Why should Wendy be any different? She's just human.
Back to top Go down
truelight

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Ican understand not liking certain characters. Say Elsa for example, the girl is everywhere! Even Barbie is a tad jealous. BUT Wendy's actions aren't very professional at all. The entire situation is pretty darn funny though. cause uhm... just sayin...
Kindredsoul wrote:
Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
I don't see any reason to create such a fuss about this, from either side.
Sure, going so much into rant-mode over a doll is silly, even childish, but we all have our weird little dislikes. Why should Wendy be any different? She's just human.

She's human. We all have dislikes. All true statements.

However, as a (professional) artist herself, you would think that she would - if she's going to "dislike" another piece of art - provide a reason as to why she doesn't like it. As a professional artist, you'd think she'd offer a professional opinion on the art she doesn't like. Because you'd think, as a professional artist, you wouldn't want another professional artist saying, that if they could, they'd lift their leg and urinate on your art, without explaining why. (And that's what initially got me as unusual... it just got worse, when she said the Asian community doesn't understand smarm, and plummeted into what I feel was a bit - a lot - racist).

Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:

Kindredsoul wrote:

These are hilarious!

Back to top Go down
Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:34 pm

So she made (what appears to be) one final post on the matter and edited the original doll, more to her liking. She lightened the hair, "uncrossed" the eyes, and removed the smirk.

(It's interesting that she always clicks like on her own post...)

But her comment about "Somebody can post this to Disney"... Why call on her minions to do so? She clearly feels very passionate about it. She should post it to Disney. So she can go in there, should any Disney person take notice, and defend/explain her changes.

One thing, I didn't feel the eyes were crossed. Because the brows were furrowed, and she had a smirk, to me that's a part of the smirky look.

But... I am not a professional artist. So what do I know.

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Tymber wrote:
(And that's what initially got me as unusual... it just got worse, when she said the Asian community doesn't understand smarm, and plummeted into what I feel was a bit - a lot - racist).

Exactly

I could care less if she wants to rant to the point she's narcissistic. Freedom of speech and all. It's her reputation, not mine.

But to the point that she trashes an entire culture of artists? What was the point of even saying something like that to express her opinion?

Sad It was uncalled for.

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Kindredsoul wrote:
Tymber wrote:
(And that's what initially got me as unusual... it just got worse, when she said the Asian community doesn't understand smarm, and plummeted into what I feel was a bit - a lot - racist).

Exactly

I could care less if she wants to rant to the point she's narcissistic. Freedom of speech and all. It's her reputation, not mine.

But to the point that she trashes an entire culture of artists? What was the point of even saying something like that to express her opinion?

Sad It was uncalled for.

Yeah, THAT was my biggest issue too.  Especially as someone who is major into anime and manga.  It blew my head off.  

Don't

EVEN.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:36 pm

The image just went from having a mischievous expression to some angelic blondified creature. And why lighten the hair at all? Now it just looks more generic.
Ah, what the hell do I know.

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Lightening the hair is pretty easy explainable; Elsa in the movie is very light blond. She's the Ice Queen after all.
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:42 pm

the Asian thing isn't so easy to explain. But yeah, not my reputation to worry about

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh, is she, Redhead Ember? I never watched the whole movie all the way through, my bad! I dunno, I guess it leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the Asian comment. Grumble.

Back to top Go down

Let it go... Let it go....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: All the Many Colors-
Jump to: