Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let it go... Let it go....

Go down 
+26
Shadowpath
Miss Gillespie
G0lden
Josine
Aelia
Elwing
TrollHammer
sun girl
Leanan
Zadzi
Blackbird
KR Wordgazer
Stargazer
anj tuesday
Trollbabe
Kindredsoul
Paranthropus
Tymber
Kojiyumi
wingthing
Redhead Ember
Nibblet
truelight
wolfmoonsky
Embala
Sifra
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 5:12 am

We don't really know what's gonna happen in Final Quest yet.
It's only recently (as of Final Quest) they've realised the Palace ain't so great, of course they didn't really have the chance to do so before.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
It's only recently (as of Final Quest) they've  realised the Palace ain't so great, of course they didn't really have the chance to do so before.

We don't know yet because they're dragging this story out entirely too long.

wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Tymber wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:
It's only recently (as of Final Quest) they've  realised the Palace ain't so great, of course they didn't really have the chance to do so before.

The mistake we've all made, I fear, is assuming there is a "story" anywhere to be found in FQ.
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 pm

wingthing wrote:
Tymber wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:

The mistake we've all made, I fear, is assuming there is a "story" anywhere to be found in FQ.

lol!

Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 3:39 pm

wingthing wrote:
Tymber wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:

For the WIN!

Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Umm...

Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Captur10
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 4:58 pm

What in the actual f***?

As huge of a problem I have had with this ass hat killing Cecil, I also sort of wondered at the back of my head why we as human beings are regularly outraged at the death of animals and yet the genocides in Zimbabwe have hardly registered as a blip on the human radar. We're systematically numbed by news, etc., I get it... but to say the killing of a lion is more important than children being killed...Suspect

Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Zadzi wrote:
What in the actual f***?

As huge of a problem I have had with this ass hat killing Cecil, I also sort of wondered at the back of my head why we as human beings are regularly outraged at the death of animals and yet the genocides in Zimbabwe have hardly registered as a blip on the human radar. We're systematically numbed by news, etc., I get it... but to say the killing of a lion is more important than children being killed...Suspect

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Does anyone else get the sense that Wendy's sort of going off her rocker?
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 5:33 pm

I mean, it could be that EQ is also getting more publicity in general and as a result there's reasonably more attention being paid now to what she's saying. So I have no idea. Maybe she's been like this all along...?
It's always weird when people you admire start talking and talking and talking and then somewhere down the line they say things that just make you do a double take. And a triple take. That make you shake your head. I'm not saying I put her on a pedestal at all, it's just such a disturbingly out of touch thing to say.

But it's true, the media 'humanizes' animals and for god's sake, we have a name for this lion, but people being killed regularly in large numbers remain nameless and in a way, what, remain anonymous in our collective psyches? So they matter less?

Back to top Go down
Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 pm

I understand the sympathy for the lion, but I agree with you completely as regards the countless human being who die. What Wendy said here is really quite callous, IMO. It's bizarre.

The idea that the earth is overpopulated isn't scientifically accurate, either. It's more a case of resource allocation, population distribution, medical services...so many factors that affect the global human population and its affect on natural habitats and other life forms.
There's enough room and food for every human on the planet, and room for the animals, too, if we managed things better and smarter. To say that the death of one animal is more important that the deaths of starving children is just...sick.
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 pm

I think what has so many people upset about Cecil's death is the way he was killed. He was lured off the preserve and shot with an arrow. Then 48 hrs later a dentist was able to shoot him. That means that this beautiful creature was injured and unable to defend himself.

He had no way of escape and then was killed for so called sport. Mind you I come from a family of hunters. They get their licenses through the state and take only their allowed quota. There is nothing wrong with hunting. A true hunter will stalk his game and take his chances on missing what he is hunting. There are no guarantees that the hunter will even get anything, much like fishing.

What I think this dentist did was guaranteed his kill. So he pays two so-called guides $50,000 for permits and such. Doubt if the permits even cost that much. That means he got his trophy with aide of poachers. That makes this hunter a dishonorable hunter, one that is willing to break the rules to get what he wants and this hurts the true hunters.

Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 pm

G0lden wrote:
I think what has so many people upset about Cecil's death is the way he was killed.  He was lured off the preserve and shot with an arrow.  Then 48 hrs later a dentist was able to shoot him.  That means that this beautiful creature was injured and unable to defend himself.

He had no way of escape and then was killed for so called sport.  Mind you I come from a family of hunters.  They get their licenses through the state and take only their allowed quota.  There is nothing wrong with hunting.  A true hunter will stalk his game and take his chances on missing what he is hunting.  There are no guarantees that the hunter will even get anything, much like fishing.

What I think this dentist did was guaranteed his kill.  So he pays two so-called guides $50,000 for permits and such.  Doubt if the permits even cost that much.  That means he got his trophy with aide of poachers.  That makes this hunter a dishonorable hunter, one that is willing to break the rules to get what he wants and this hurts the true hunters.

Agreed. And it's really awful that this happened. But to say that it is "more important" than the deaths of human beings, and starving human children at that, is morally repugnant, IMO. The outpouring of rage and grief in relation to this story is disproportionate to the response to human suffering. Says something about humanity and our current state, I think.

Last edited by Paranthropus on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 7:18 pm

I remember watching a show not too long ago, set in Mexico, in the middle of these insane drug wars and people being killed in brutal ways... and a photographer/reporter was saying that the biggest reaction to the killings was general numbness and distaste. But then people went nuts about an elephant being killed off the side of the road a week earlier and there was public outcry.
It really is strange how numb we are.
Of course no one is arguing that what happened to the lion, what happens to ANY animal being deliberately killed especially in such a spineless way, is okay or reasonable. I think it's just the disproportionate reaction we have in comparison which is odd.
There *are* parks in Africa where you pay upward to $300,000 to trophy hunt. It's insane. It's not even real hunting!

Back to top Go down
Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Also, does anyone else know what this "star children" thing is that she references? Is this some American concept I'm not familiar with?
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm

She calls all the fans of Elfquest her "star children"

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Man o man, I thought it was some reference to elves being from the stars. I had no idea about that, Kindred.

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I read it on a post she made a long time ago (not sure where, the old scrolls maybe?)

Fans were discussing something about being discriminated, or not fitting in, or maybe it was bullying (don't remember the topic of the issue exactly), but what I do remember was HER response at the time, calling everyone "my star children" for being so uniquely different and to be stronger for it. (so I also took that as her calling EQ fans in general that endearing term)

And the most impacting thing I remember when reading that was how it made me feel so much better myself. It made me special at a time when I was sorely struggling with things in life. And it really lifted my spirits at a time when I needed it.

I wish to see that side of her again.

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 3:22 am

Hurricane Katrina: At least no puma died

Tsunami 2004: Thank god, no turtle was harmed

Got your priorities straight

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Thanks, Miss Gillespie!

This lion story has been dominating the news, way ahead of the story about the San Diego murder of an 8-year-old girl.  Both are horrible, but I think that people do care more about a lion on the other side of the planet.

If people really cared about lions, instead of harassing the dentist until he closes his office and goes into hiding (gee, no one ELSE has thought of doing that already?), they would donate money to their local zoo, or to a wildlife nonprofit.

If people cared about African wildlife in general, they would check ingredient labels for palm oil and refuse to buy the product.  They would protest any movie, TV show or commercial that used great apes onscreen (chimpanzees and orangutans.)

It's easier to get self-righteous and join a lynch mob.

Sorry I skipped over the rest of this thread, but getting back to the original post, I have been puzzled about Elfmom's concept of social media marketing.

anj tuesday

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 am

Kojiyumi wrote:
Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 DazWzNh

Never heard the original, so this will now be my Platonic Form for it.

Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 1:17 am

Kindredsoul wrote:

I think she subscribes to a concept that certain people on earth are actually descended from aliens, and thus special.  Her fans, because they like her work, would be among these.  As this article

Star Children

says:  "People answered [a] questionnaire to determine if they had what it takes to be a Star Child or Star Seed. If they scored high enough, it made them feel important and part of a select group of evolved beings. It took away a lot of the feeling of isolation many lost souls have while trying to cope with the human experience."

Personally, I have never liked any philosophy that implies some people are intrinsically better than other people, and I think this idea has that problem.

Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:
Kindredsoul wrote:

Personally, I have never liked any philosophy that implies some people are intrinsically better than other people, and I think this idea has that problem.

Agreed. That's a dangerous philosophy to follow and has led to some appalling things historically.

Also, that alien star child theory is just bizarre.
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 10:01 pm

BTW, I have not read or talked to anyone who thought the death of Cecil the lion was more important than the deaths of innocent human beings.  I really don't think it harms one important cause to talk about another one. Also, Cecil, being beautiful, furry and appealing, is easy to focus on in an expression of outrage against those who use and exploit the voiceless and powerless.  I think he could become a symbol or a metaphor for all those (human or animal) who are sacrificed for the comfort and convenience of the privileged.  Advocacy groups, in my opinion, should make use of the public's outrage about this, not consider it unfair competition or try to shame or silence people for caring about Cecil.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 pm

To me, what all of these things have in common (and what I personally despise) is polarization. It seems like so many times the more vocal a person is about some particular aspect of life or experience, the more they argue that there is only one way a person can feel about something: right/wrong or like/dislike or for/against... there is no middle ground: you follow them or you are against them. We here are all victims of such mentality, being deemed as enemies of the ideal of a community simply because we arent 'Yes Men' and are willing to discuss our opinions without extremist prejudice.... the world feels small and getting smaller as I get labeled and catagorized into some person's filing cabinate.

"Chocolate or vanilla?"
Eh... depends, they are both good. I also like cherry and bubblegum and...

"No, you cant like them both, you have to pick one and Im gonna hold it to you forever."

Fine. Then neither.

"You must be a hater then."

Wtf?

Sorry, been in an argumentative mood today and needed to vent. Wendy's tyrade became the target. Sue my avatar.

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 4:54 am

There are people who ask (loudly) "how can you care about animal rights when so many humans have their rights violated?", or "why are you so concerned with breast cancer awareness when there are other, more deadly cancers in existence?", or "why do you help poor people in other countries when there are poor people living next door?" and so on.

Most of the time, these people are not themselves doing anything for the cause they so loudly advocate. They seem to spout these arguments assuming that society can only solve one problem at a time and it should be the one they care most about.

As others have stated here, that of course is not how charity works. If you think some cause deserves more support, donate money or your time. Do not rant at activists who happen to have different priorities. One would think it was obvious... but almost every day I see messages in my local newspaper's "text messages from readers" section with content similar to the ones I quoted in the beginning of this post.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Let it go... Let it go.... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let it go... Let it go....
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: All the Many Colors-
Jump to: