AuthorMessage
Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:43 pm

@Miss Gillespie wrote:
Hurricane Katrina: At least no puma died

Tsunami 2004: Thank god, no turtle was harmed

Got your priorities straight

That was nature. The Lion was killed by humans for sport / fun / thropys.

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:43 pm

I don't see why this has to be an either/or thing. Trophy hunting is absolutely DISGUSTING. What that lion had to go through was AWFUL.

It's Wendy's comment about the life of a lion mattering more than children dying which is really the issue here. I find the comment totally out of touch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:48 pm

@Blackbird wrote:
@Miss Gillespie wrote:
Hurricane Katrina: At least no puma died

Tsunami 2004: Thank god, no turtle was harmed

Got your priorities straight

That was nature. The Lion was killed by humans for sport / fun / thropys.

Ok, I can give examples of human-made tragedies, where some people show strange priorities:

PETA values a donkey's life higher than Jewish lives

More than 100000 die in Syria, but the outrafe is about torturing donkeys

You know, who actually was quite animal-friendly? The Nazis! Up to this day, we have hunting laws, which were signed by Herman Göring, since they were so progressive.

I'm not saying that killing the lion was a good or noble thing, of course. But it is still one lion. But just think about it, would you say to the parents of a dying child, that it's a good think, it won't add to the human overpopulation any more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 pm

You know what? Both positions are right. It's important to care about both. But caring about the life of a lion doesn't preclude caring about the welfare of human beings. They aren't mutually exclusive. The fact that this animal wasn't a human being doesn't mean it's life and the significance behind it's life aren't equally valuable.

The reason people are upset about this isn't that a lion died-- well some are upset about that-- they are upset at the flagrant disregard for the welfare of the planet and nature as a whole that is demonstrated by the human race. That is where the outrage comes from. They are upset, not that an animal got killed, but that it was lured out of a conservation area to be killed. The fact that it was a trusting creature made the killing that much worse. Because we know it didn't understand what was happening. But that's just on an empathetic level. The outrage comes from the fact that this animal should have been protected-- and this is just symptomatic of the callous disregard most human beings have for other species. The attitude that allowed this man to kill this animal is the attitude that has fueled the kind of human behavior that is leading to the extinction of 90% of animal life on earth. And that's a big, freakin deal. It's a lot bigger than the life of one lion or one person.

So that's why people are upset about this. They are upset about the destruction of the planet, and the annihilation of most of non-human life on earth that is occurring daily. This death is just a representation of that.

And the other hand-- yeah. If you care about animal life and don't care about human life-- you are a hypocrite. Also you are dumb. Because you can't save the planet without changing the behavior of people. And you can't do that without improving the lives of people living in the third world, educating and offering alternatives to people in the second world, and changing the psychopathic, predatory nature of business in the first world.

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Well said, Luna!

Read 'Beyond Mere Flight' - click here!
Skywise Wink thanks to Embala for the banner! Kahvi )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Nothing to add to this, except I like you guys. Humans can care about lots of things at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:48 pm

@wingthing wrote:
@Tymber wrote:
@Redhead Ember wrote:
We don't really know what's gonna happen in Final Quest yet.
It's only recently (as of Final Quest) they've  realised the Palace ain't so great, of course they didn't really have the chance to do so before.

We don't know yet because they're dragging this story out entirely too long.

The mistake we've all made, I fear, is assuming there is a "story" anywhere to be found in FQ.

I hate when I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Why on earth is anyone surprised that the Pinis are less than perfect? If the debacle of a conversation that went down before The forums were shut down didn't clue you into that fact, I'm surprised that anything else managed to.

Honestly, While I agree that Wendy is being a hypocrite about the Disney art thing, most of this, the casual racism, the disregard for humanity, it sounds an awful lot like the crap I see coming out of the mouths of left of centre middle class(generally white) Americans and Canadians of all ages on a daily basis. The type of people who ignore starving kids in the Northern Communities so they can show off a dog they stole from those same communities and talk about their "animal rescue" efforts.

It's the kind of stuff I see coming out of the mouths of her fans, for pity's sake.

Do you know what's awesome about this, though?

It proves that none of us have to be perfect to do great things. We don't have to be angels to make a difference.

Don't you feel free now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Well I for one would not dump all the worlds problems or opinions on one race or economic background. All races no matter what their standing in the community can rise to great things or chose to do less than great things. We are all human and do stupid human things, but still it is a choice. That being said: the reason there is so much upset about Cecil is the way he was hunted. There is nothing wrong with hunting. I come from a family of hunters. If they go deer hunting they might get a deer if they follow the rules of the land or state and then they might not get a deer at all. That is just luck period, but sadly there are those who choose to make sure they get their kill no matter the cost and that is where the upset is.

The way we treat our wildlife, forests, water, and etc. reflects who we as humans being treat each other. Sadly we don't treat each other very well at that and it shows in the events that are currently happening in our world. If you don't like how something is going speak up, but speak up with knowledge on the subject and take responsibility for your own actions in life. What I dislike the most is those who blame others for their troubles instead asking what can be done to improve things.

There is my soapbox statement for the day.

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:38 am

(Reads first post)
Woooow. Just when I think it can't get any more stupid.
One thing tho: From what I remember seeing,Elsa does have that smirk in most of the commercial material.
(Sorry for digging this up)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 am

@Shadowpath wrote:
(Reads first post)
One thing tho: From what I remember seeing,Elsa does have that smirk in most of the commercial material.

You know what, I thought that too when I read this post originally - why pick on the doll particularly when that same smirk is on every piece of Frozen merchandise I've ever seen?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:59 am

I don't get it either. If you've seen anything with Elsa, she most likely had that smirk.
Why it a 'damned repulsive expression', tho? That's a very harsh thing to say. It's a very tiny smirk.
Skywise has larger smirks and he seems has them often.

'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:32 am

Id been meaning to post this for a few weeks.  Doesnt really fall into the conversation, yet somehow it speaks volumes to me...

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:02 pm

heh. I like the way you think Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aelia

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:32 pm

I tried to look for Wendy Pini on Facebook but her account seems to be merged with Richard's? Is that because of the ban? I'm hardly ever on Facebook so no idea how that works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:36 pm

She's oddly...hard to find if you're going through google. This one is the one that shows up for me. (mind, I'm no good at facebook whatsoever)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm

@Shadowpath wrote:
(Reads first post)

Every recent Disney Princess has that smirk. (Except for Princess and the Frog). It's shorthand for "This is smart and modern girl. Pretty, yet savvy. You want to be her friend."

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Well, Elsa might be the girl you want to be friends with, but Tiana's the girl you should be friends with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:55 am

True that. Actually- why would you want to be friends with Elsa? She's not friendly.

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:18 am

Mystical allure. Whereas Tiana seems boring at first, but she will stick with you, and you will be a better person for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zinegirl

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 am

It's even more ridiculous if you take into account the fact that this particular doll comes with three different faces :')

Also 'Dreamworks smirk'... Frozen has nothing to do with Dreamworks, that's a completely different animation company.

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:27 am

I do agree, though, that that particular expres​sion(the smirk) has gotten boring lately. It gets used over and over again, especially on female characters, by Disney and Pixar. It's shortcut now for 'I'm a sassy/smart/independent/modern-thinking/clever/whatever gal. It's gotten to be just... Kind of lazy as character design goes.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 am

It's actually called 'The Dreamworks Face' by TV tropes-- though Disney uses it just as (if not more) blatantly (esp with heroines). They describe it as a codifier:

TV Tropes: The Dreamworks Face

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:44 am

I agree with this person's observation about recycled expressions (and faces at this point- how big eyed and round can they get?)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/frozen-head-of-animation-says-animating-women-is-really-really-difficult-89467.html

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Let it go... Let it go....   Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Animation today is so very different than when I was a child in the 60's.  Then the animation looked and felt like a very fancy cartoon, but it was well done.  Female characters were nearly devoid of being true females.  They all seemed to have the same body type (except Lady and the Tramp), slender, no breasts, and were limited in their emotions or their capacity as a person.  Plus they always seemed to needing to be rescue by some smart savvy handsome male.  Fast forward into the 80's, female characters started to look like girls and many started to become more independent with they own thoughts and needs.  Still they tended to be limited in their emotions.  Mind you many of the Disney animations of this time were based on fairy tales of the past just as the first of Disney animations were.  Then came computer assisted animation and things have changed again.  Now we have animation that is so life like it is unreal.  Still the females are pigeon holed into being pretty at all costs and their emotions are limited.  I think Merida of Brave is the closet to showing emotion such as anger and looking angry.  The big eyed thing started with the Incredibles, sadly I think it is going to stay for a while.  The new animation technology has allowed for newer stories to be told, but sadly females are still being limited.  Please, for the love of all things get rid of the smirk on females.  It looks tacky at best.

Last edited by G0lden on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Let it go... Let it go....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: All the Many Colors-
Jump to: