Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What have you discovered today?

Go down 
+42
Sorandril [BANNED]
anj tuesday
Yeee
Vaeri
Anduinel
Beryl
Tynami
Redhead Ember
Embala
Shadowpath
PCoquelin
Kindredsoul
Outlier
Sifra
Davrille
Trollbabe
Stormcatcher
Elwing
Miss Gillespie
IceTooth
Evil Evie
Nibblet
Zadzi
LurkingCat
Miscellaneous
G0lden
faeriegirl
Prayer
Bluetree
Lunakat
Rainflower
jaRf
Leanan
wolfmoonsky
Startear
Tenderfoot
Merelf
Marina.yurk
Wiseshaman
Multi-Facets
TrollHammer
ErinC1978
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyMon Aug 14, 2017 12:28 pm

It's really horrible, Sifra Crying or Very sad I know everyone says that it was normal to lose about half of your children, but it still is so very sad and must have been a devastating blow for those who lost so many.

I have found both original and recycled names in my family tree. I have found names like Astrid Signora and Marie Laurentia and Sarolf Fredrik and Wilhelm Maribo, but also loads og generations where every other man was named Peder and Aslak, and John and Johannes Rolling Eyes And we have had four generations of Rolf, but none of my cousins have named their children that, so it seems that name is on its way out. Unless I have a son, though...

I also discovered (not today, though) that two of my (four) great grandfathers have the same first name, and two of them also have the same middle name. And that my paternal grandfather's parents (my great grandparents) were married to someone who shared names with their siblings (like Jimmy Joe and Barbara Elizabeth were siblings, Barbara Jane and Jimmy David were siblings, and Jimmy Joe and Barbara Jane married...)

And I have rediscovered how fantastic it is to be back here ^_____^ Seriously, I have to stay here now! I think I can mentally survive another semester then! *sets up camp for more discoveries*
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyMon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Poor great great grandmother :'( ... life was still hard those days - short and sharp. I think they knew it was the way, Tenderfoot, was what they expected to some degree ... but not an easy way.
All those similar prenames and recycled names - conversation on family meetings must have been a bit puzzling. I had three Gerhards in my closest family - father, uncle and brother - I know!

Stay! Look in regulary and we grant that you will mentally survive next semester! Very Happy

Maybe your next discovery will be an old avatar?

What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Av_ten10 ... before it's Christmas again ^^

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyTue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I've discovered that - according to my dictionary - "ravish" can mean both "enchant" and "rape" ... and "rob" on top.

Shocked

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 am

The things you discover from nerding around on TV Tropes:

Quote :
Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, up top, is awesome. Translated, it means "fishing place at the boundary," which local wags have rendered as "We'll fish on our side, you fish on your side, and no one fishes in the middle". The locals are quite proud of it.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Awww! Avatar! Very Happy *tackle glomps avatar and takes to bed to snuggle up with*

I think you're right, Embala, about them expecting it. I read that once (in the 1600's, I think) there was a woman who had just given birth to her fifth child and was very tired, and another woman told her that she could just calm down, as half of them would be dead in a few years...

Haha, it's funny, about the name things! If my great grandfathers (those who shared first names, let's say it's Alan) and my grandfather hadn't died as early as they did and had instead lived to see my male cousin grow up, calling for only one of them would be so fun!

"Alan! Come help me here, would you?"
"Yes, daughter-in-law?"
"Yes, sweetie?"
"Yes, love?"
"Yes, mum?"
"Yes, grandma?"

I have discovered that one of our cats is unable to hurt us. Because he doesn't want to. He has all his claws (and they are sharp!) and all his teeth, but even when he bites or grabs my hand With his paw, he doesn't leave a mark. He actually grabs my hand, with his paw, claws out without touching my skin, and then he pulls it back to his mouth so he can nibble on it a little and then lick it for a little more.

He's a weird cat, but I love him all the more for it!

Edit: Oi... that almost shouldn't be legal, Embala! Shocked And I don't understand how such a Word could ever come to life, Redhead Ember...
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Such a good loving cat. I love you cat That's really special.

Mom had a big tomcat - almost a hand raising - and he wouldn't hurt us either. He had a way to grab our hand when playing to tell us "It's enough now!". I felt the claws but when I relaxed my hand he did so, too - and never left a mark in my skin.

And my Ginchan is a darling too. With claws and teeth  - sometimes she shows off and make me feel ... a bit of rough play - but she never hurt me by purpose.

*chuckles* I can so imagine the "Alan"  dialogue. Laughing

Last edited by Embala on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Oh, they sound like such lovely cats! Laughing

Heh, I can imagine that's almost what dialogue will sound like in Norwegian classrooms in a few years time... some parents are so unimaginative when it comes to naming their kids and they all just choose the name that's really popular. I still work in a food store and I can honestly say that in one day I heard more than twenty parents calling their daughters named Linnea. And more than ten calling their sons Leander. That's the fashion names here right now. And in my class there were three Helene's, two Mari's, two Halvor's, three Martins, two Christoffer's, two Patrick's... (I think you get the gist Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptySat Aug 26, 2017 5:19 am

How long my Inquisition/elfquest fanfic is.
What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Tumblr_inline_ov9vm7r9Ru1s6uavj_540

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptySun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Shadowpath wrote:
How long my Inquisition/elfquest fanfic is.
What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Tumblr_inline_ov9vm7r9Ru1s6uavj_540

Aaawesome, Shadowpath! Shocked  I don't think I've ever written a fanfic that is that long! Little more than 11000 words is my Maximum amount Laughing

(although I have written something that is just over 47000 words and not even halfway finished, but it's not Elfquest related and thus of no interest to anyone but me Razz )
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyMon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 am

Heh, thanks!

Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

The demonic monster of my childhood has returned! Tickle me Elmo is Back!

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Last night, I discovered I could spend a whole night simply listening to the music I've collected, all along, while reading Elfquest ( from the original quest up to the Final Quest ), and occasionally watching on my PC screen, pictures randomly taken from my huge collection.
Add; some drinks and a cooool loneliness, and it was just perfect.

Our ancestors would call our era Paradise, here, inside rich countries.
Then, they would spit on us, after having a look at what we turned other places into.

Rainflower

Libra Snake

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 6:13 pm

That I should have had somehting else than a leftover soup for breakfast. But I was soooo tired of eggs.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 am

An in the latest news from my childhood home: 10 Saudis arrested for conducting illegal camel beauty contest

Rainflower

Libra Snake

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Illegal camel beauty contest? Neutral Rolling Eyes Jeez
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Zwoot

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm

How typical.

Rainflower

Rainflower

Libra Snake

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 pm

That I like the new eye drops from my optitian Shocked
Back to top Go down
Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyFri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 am

That's wonderful! I always find eye drops to be a pain, so it must be great to have some you like.

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 am

Explosive fires here in California. We had some severe north winds overnight and that has lead to some very serious fires.

So far in Napa 15,000 structures lost.
2 fires in Nevada County
fires in Butte, Sonoma, and Yuba counties.
Then there is Anaheim on fire as well.

We also lost 10 people and that may grow. The Napa fire was the worst. The people literally had minutes to get out.

This is not good.

IceTooth

IceTooth

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am

Please be safe G0lden! I grew up in the Bay Area and lived in Sonoma County for 15 years and will always consider it home. Thankfully all my friends and family are safe but what a horrible tragedy. Shocked No

I walked into work yesterday after a week of being bedridden with the flu and my friend told me "hey, did you hear, Santa Rosa is on fire and buildings are burning to the ground"...ugh...I wanted to go right back home and crawl into bed. Especially after all the fires we had here in Oregon this summer...again, be safe!

Be safe everyone down there... Hug
Back to top Go down
Tynami

Tynami

Aries Snake

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

*hugs* Stay safe ya'll, it's been so nuts!!

Trains in this area are just bonkers, there's been at least 2 derailments this week, a woman asleep on the tracks stuck, a suicidal teen run over cause he was laying on the tracks, two cars struck, a woman turning onto the tracks and going nose first into the ditch, blocking the tracks and a car somehow dukes of hazzarding up onto a car... all within a week.... what is going on?!?

What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Kat-s166What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Kat-s168What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Kat-s167What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Kat-s169
Back to top Go down
https://linktr.ee/lisabit
Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 pm

My area has had more pedestrians hit by cars in the past month then it has had in at least a year. I second the bewilderment, what is going on with all of these accidents, tragedys, fires and storms!

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Sad News from the fires are not good at all. Stay safe, G0lden. *HUG*
All good wishes that the fires will be under controll and everyone will be safe agan. And that those who suffered from the fire will get help.

That's nuts, Kat Rolling Eyes

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 am

Staying safe, Em

Fires really bad around here.

The Lobo Fire in Nevada County is south of my late grandparents property. My brother and his family live there and the fire is a couple of miles away, so far so good for them.

The fire the hit Santa Rosa is devastating. Whole neighborhoods are gone. Calastoga a town of 5,000 has been evacuated.

More north winds for tomorrow, but not a gusty as Sunday nights.

Smoke settled in the valley this morning, so the air quality was horrible. It did clear up by the late afternoon.

I keep you up to date.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What have you discovered today?   What have you discovered today? - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

What have you discovered today?
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next