Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 /Apology/Solution

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

@Zadzi wrote:

In general I think it's hard to be positive about something you used to feel passionately about when you feel the quality of it has somehow gone down. I actually think those who have good things to say can stand to be MORE vocal about it to remind us of how much we once really, really enjoyed EQ.

I think that's what it's been for me. You have this story - and these characters - who you are very attached to. They're in this place - that seems just about untouchable. You WANT to read more about these characters, but you're also fearful that what will come out - after so long - will not live up to the (unfair?) expectation created in my mind.


___________________________________________________

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

avatar

Posts : 1096
Join date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:42 pm

@wingthing wrote:
I just hope the people who DO have negative opinions to share won't be feeling silenced.

This is me.

I – personally – felt bad being so negative about the ONE thing I have come to love, adore, and treasure for so many, many years of my life. For me, I finally chose to remain silent from now on due to the old saying, “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.”

@Zadzi wrote:
In general I think it's hard to be positive about something you used to feel passionately about when you feel the quality of it has somehow gone down.

And this is exactly why I’m negative about it. My heart feels like someone took a hammer and shattered it every time I force myself to read the latest issue. It’s completely heartbreaking to me in every way.
I’m not being a critical fan because things about EQ have changed. Elfquest has become a personal lifeline to me that has saved me countless times through many turmoil’s in my life. What has been done to the story, the characters, and the art is a true heartbreak to me that hurts. It’s not just an “annoyance” to me. It hurts

That’s why I feel so disappointed and hurt by how FQ has turned out thus far and why I expressed my own opinions the few times I’ve spoken up.

@Tymber wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying anywhere that we can't share negative things about the books. I think they're just asking to be a little more gentle and observant of others feelings. Which, as a tribe of people who may be passionate about the book, we're also human and care about whether or not we're making others feel unwanted.

Exactly, Tymber. Thank you. And it goes both ways. Now that we’re aware to  take into consideration of those who feel positive about FQ. I would ask the same vice-versa. People aren’t critiquing or expressing disappointment to be mean here.

Just as fans point out what they love and why, there is justifiable “why” to what fans do not like about FQ too.



@wingthing wrote:

I must second the question asked earlier - do we need a "Shark tank" thread where people can unabashedly frenzy-feed to our heart's content?
*chuckles* No, I don’t think we need another thread. Honestly wingthing, I’ve felt that you’ve been reading my own mind when I read your posts about it LOL!

But if it were me, this is what I would do… Wink

When needing to post a frenzy rant I would simply state a (humorous) warning first, like… ”OMG I NEED TO RANT BECAUSE THIS MADE ME SO %$@@@%#$%#$%#% FURIOUS SO ANYONE WHO MAY FEEL TOO SENSITIVE TO READ JUST SCROLL PAST MY POST!!!!!!!!

But again, that’s just me and what I would do Razz

We all need to rant from time to time, and everyone here understands that. Again, just as people here would respect the feelings of those who want to share the positive opinions of FQ, then the same respect should be shown to those who need to express a rant.

Look… my purpose in posting this thread wasn’t to make anyone feel bad for expressing their opinions, be it negative or positive. I was just aware that a few felt dissuaded from sharing. Maybe I went about it the wrong way. If I worded anything wrong, that wasn’t my intent. Maybe adding another FQ thread wasn’t the solution either. Point is, all I wanted to do was to bring it to attention and at least try something rather than just turning a blind eye

But I know this tribe/family/community so well that I know it was never the intent to have anyone feel disheartened from expressing their views and opinions. And I know everyone well enough to know we can all work together for a solution for everyone.

Obviously by everyone posting here we’ve proven that we have.

Yes, we can be critical. Yes we can rant. Yes we can still say “I love this and that” about FQ when another is scowling and screaming at the cover.


Spoiler:
 


@Nibblet wrote:
OFF TOPIC ALERT!


I love all you guys, btw. I think you are all awesome and I am grateful to know you all. Just had to get that out there.

CARRY ON AS YOU WERE

And this is why you rock, Nib Wink  Couldn't have said it better myself What a Face

I think I've rambled enough Shocked I just hope I made sense

___________________________________________________
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!


Last edited by Kindredsoul on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
G0lden

avatar

Scorpio Buffalo
Posts : 3706
Join date : 2012-06-26
Age : 56
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:48 pm

I feel the same way Kim. I have been a fan of EQ since I was only 18 yrs. I'm still getting used how the new story is going and what it implies. I like some aspects of the new stuff and some not so much. It will still be interesting to see how it all plays out.

___________________________________________________
Reese's, Kashmir's, and Tequila's mommy.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

avatar

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Always moving....

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:30 am

@Kindredsoul wrote:

And this is exactly why I’m negative about it. My heart feels like someone took a hammer and shattered it every time I force myself to read the latest issue. It’s completely heartbreaking to me in every way.
I’m not being a critical fan because things about EQ have changed. Elfquest has become a personal lifeline to me that has saved me countless times through many turmoil’s in my life. What has been done to the story, the characters, and the art is a true heartbreak to me that hurts. It’s not just an “annoyance” to me. It hurts


I sometimes forget how essential EQ is to some - for me, it was for a bit and then I sort of never felt the same degree of attachment even though it was always sort of there.
But it makes even more sense when it's such a deep part of your life to have it be difficult to deal with the current quality - and it also makes you all the more brave, Kindredsoul, to post threads about this ongoing issue as well as making a thread to see the good. That takes some real guts to do and i imagine it must be difficult. But it's also what I love about this forum in general. I am really happy this place exits, because I just see overarching good and there's so much love here.
Thank you again <3

___________________________________________________
Thank you for the beautiful banner, Embala  cheers

Back to top Go down
Elwing

avatar

Cancer Dog
Posts : 379
Join date : 2015-03-24
Age : 47
Location : Antwerp, Belgium

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:08 am

Well the simple fact that we can have a 6 page discussion about a subject this sensitive in absolute serenity says enough about this forum.
As for “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” I often tell myself that, but on the other hand, if everybody did this we would not have much to discuss. We have a place here to say what we think, even if they are not nice things. We have to consider how we say things, but we should not stay mum. I got tired of biting my tongue on the old forum, and I guess many did- the place was not exactly lively.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

avatar

Posts : 1096
Join date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 am

I hope no one takes my "If you have nothing nice to say..." as me trying to press that on others. It's just my own personal choice I love you


___________________________________________________
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
Back to top Go down
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:44 pm

@Elwing wrote:
Well the simple fact that we can have a 6 page discussion about a subject this sensitive in absolute serenity says enough about this forum.
As for “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.”  I often tell myself that, but on the other hand, if everybody did this we would not have much to discuss. We have a place here to say what we think, even if they are not nice things. We have to consider how we say things, but we should not stay mum. I got tired of biting my tongue on the old forum, and I guess many did- the place was not exactly lively.

I think the new saying should be:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, at least be respectful."

___________________________________________________

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2782
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 pm

@Tymber wrote:
@Elwing wrote:
Well the simple fact that we can have a 6 page discussion about a subject this sensitive in absolute serenity says enough about this forum.
As for “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.”  I often tell myself that, but on the other hand, if everybody did this we would not have much to discuss. We have a place here to say what we think, even if they are not nice things. We have to consider how we say things, but we should not stay mum. I got tired of biting my tongue on the old forum, and I guess many did- the place was not exactly lively.

I think the new saying should be:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, at least be respectful."

I agree with both these statements. But that's how we've always defined ourselves, right? As a group of people who are generally welcoming and respectful toward and sensitive to the feelings of one another.

Let's always keep it up!

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
KR Wordgazer

avatar

Scorpio Cat
Posts : 201
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 54

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:18 am

I didn't know this discussion had revived again! That's what I get for leaving for a few days...

@sun girl wrote:
I gotta ask, and I hope this won't be taken as hostile again... was anyone actually feeling like they would get attacked for sharing a positive opinion?


No, I never felt that. It's just that-- well, for a while the discussion was so negative, it just wasn't enjoyable (to me-- because I didn't share the gripes) to read, and there seemed to be no reason to hang around and read it.  Not that I was upset with anyone for not liking the Final Quest-- it was more that I had two choices in response: either defend why I like FQ (which felt kind of like raining on your parade- as has been said, maybe you all needed to talk about it like that, and why shouldn't I leave you to it?)-- or talk about something positive about the FQ (which felt kind of like rudely changing the subject).

And I really didn't have any response to the "it sucks" vibe other than, "Oh really? I'm sorry you feel that way; it doesn't to me" -- which I think I did say at some point and didn't want to keep repeating...

So I just kind of wandered off. It was nothing personal.  It's just the way things felt at the time to me.

___________________________________________________
I'm not old. I've just been young for a very long time...
Back to top Go down
http://krwordgazer.blogspot.com
Davrille

avatar

Virgo Horse
Posts : 243
Join date : 2015-03-25
Age : 51

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:09 pm

@Lunakat wrote:
@Tymber wrote:
@Elwing wrote:
Well the simple fact that we can have a 6 page discussion about a subject this sensitive in absolute serenity says enough about this forum.
As for “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.”  I often tell myself that, but on the other hand, if everybody did this we would not have much to discuss. We have a place here to say what we think, even if they are not nice things. We have to consider how we say things, but we should not stay mum. I got tired of biting my tongue on the old forum, and I guess many did- the place was not exactly lively.

I think the new saying should be:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, at least be respectful."

I agree with both these statements. But that's how we've always defined ourselves, right? As a group of people who are generally welcoming and respectful toward and sensitive to the feelings of one another.

Let's always keep it up!

I would like to add, "If you don't have anything nice to say, at least be accurate." There's been some comments made in the last month that had me sitting on my hands from typing "No, goddamnit, that's NOT what they said" right off the bat. Criticize, critique, be negative, yes --but about what's there, not what you want to be there so you can swing a bigger stick. And that is what has really bothered me: the impression I got of that attitude.

I can understand where Kindredsoul is coming from, because for a large chunk of my life Elfquest was my passionate love as a fan. But, having watched other beloved worlds go through changes that left me disappointed and unhappy, I've come to believe there's two ways you (general you) have to deal with these kinds of changes: accept them as a done deal and continue reading, or move on entirely. I have friends who have done the latter with Elfquest, and friends who've done the former.

I think we're all in the first category (at least partially), or we wouldn't be here.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2782
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Somehow, with this preview, we are all doing it again. I can't help myself this time, though, because it's how I fully feel about it. I really hope the actual issue transcends somehow.

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
wingthing

avatar

Posts : 548
Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Yeah, it's not our fault this is the material we gotta work with!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

avatar

Posts : 1300
Join date : 2015-07-11
Location : Always moving....

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Lunakat. I keep adding disclaimers of 'Well, can't know for sure until I read the full issue' just so I don't seem so goddamn hysterical.
Of course I'll read the whole thing. Obsessively. Several times Very Happy

I feel all protective of Cutter all of a sudden. I guess, if anything, this is eliciting more sympathy for a character, which is, in a roundabout way, something positive. I'm scared FOR him though because of the storyline. Is that horrible?

___________________________________________________
Thank you for the beautiful banner, Embala  cheers

Back to top Go down
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Should we do a "Final Quest #XX - Speculation Thread."

So for the previews we can discuss "speculations."

And then have an official thread, when the actual issue is released?

___________________________________________________

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Embala

avatar

Capricorn Pig
Posts : 6834
Join date : 2012-06-24
Age : 57
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Why not have it both in one? Unless you close the discussion the comments will get mixed for sure.

___________________________________________________

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 pm

@Embala wrote:
Why not have it both in one? Unless you close the discussion the comments will get mixed for sure.

Well, I was thinking it would be clear... For example one would be:

Final Quest #12 - Speculation/Preview Thread

Then when issue #12 DOES come out, someone creates a:

Final Quest #12 - Comments.

The reason being - the thread for issue #12 is already 8 pages deep. And the issue hasn't even come out yet?

Would be nice to have a fresh thread to begin discussing it - without feeling like you're jumping in the middle of something.

As the issues come out, Admins/Moderators can even combine the "Speculation" threads into one large thread called "Final Quest - Speculations" (Although that's work for the admins/moderators - and just an idea to keep things "tidy" around here if that's a concern).

Again, just ideas I am spewing. Smile

___________________________________________________

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2782
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Isn't the current thread basically a 'Speculation/preview' thread? We can make a new thread for the full issue when it comes out, if you guys think that's best, but we probably don't need another one now.

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3203
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:35 am

The way I figured it out the Final Quest #[X] threads basically have three steps:

1: When we are speculating purely based the cover.

2: When we are speculating/discussing based on the preview, which someone is always nice enough to post in the thread.

3: When we are discussing the issue in question. If someone hasn't bought the newest issue they've simply got to not enter the thread.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

avatar

Posts : 643
Join date : 2015-05-06
Location : Location, Location!

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:45 pm

@Redhead Ember wrote:
The way I figured it out the Final Quest #[X] threads basically have three steps:

1: When we are speculating purely based the cover.

2: When we are speculating/discussing based on the preview, which someone is always nice enough to post in the thread.

3: When we are discussing the issue in question. If someone hasn't bought the newest issue they've simply got to not enter the thread.

But the problem with that is step 3. No one has issue #12 yet (or #13, apparently) - so if someone hasn't bought the newest issue, they simply do not enter that thread idea - how is the thread for issue #12 8 pages then? No one has that issue so no one should be in that thread! Wink

(I know what you meant, I was just pointing out the irony!) Smile

___________________________________________________

Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

avatar

Aries Dragon
Posts : 3203
Join date : 2015-04-17
Age : 29
Location : Right here

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:12 pm

I guess you could argue we're kinda... erhm... obsessed.
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

avatar

Posts : 649
Join date : 2012-07-31
Location : O'er Der.....

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:18 pm

@Redhead Ember wrote:
I guess you could argue we're kinda... erhm... obsessed.

Id use the word "hungry" (actually, starved, after pretty much a decade of very little more than reprints). I left my full commentary in the poll thread,not realizing this was going on here.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

avatar

Posts : 2782
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : On a rooftop, contemplating the moon

PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Speculating based on the cover and on the preview are the same category of speculation. Just have a preview discussion thread and an issue discussion thread.

___________________________________________________
afro flower afro 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: /Apology/Solution   

Back to top Go down
 
/Apology/Solution
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Similar topics
-
» /Apology/Solution
» IOU an Apology...
» The Family Reunion (Private w/ Frostbite, SnowFall, Blizz, Snowflare, and Mel)
» Shipping Names

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: News and Announcements-
Jump to: