Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #14

Go down 
+34
PCoquelin
IceTooth
howler monkey
wingthing
manga
Nightsea
Lurks
ErinC1978
Davrille
jaRf
Redhead Ember
Twopaw
Shadowpath
faeriegirl
Wisp
Zadzi
Miss Gillespie
Miscellaneous
sun girl
Trollbabe
Embala
kathleen3.0
KR Wordgazer
Sifra
Lunakat
Outlier
Startear
Arthis
TrollHammer
Tymber
Stargazer
Multi-Facets
Vaeri
Kaza999
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:00 am

manga wrote:
I don't get why these strange wolves with no elfblood can tell right off what no one else has noticed for hundreds of years.

That image was striking, though.

Maybe it's simply that Cutter is - in a way - both elf and wolf.

Here's a thought; if Cutter being injured - as on the cover - is not a result of getting attacked by the wolves, could it be the "funguys"?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 am

Quote :
"funguys"
A little bit of the most bitter part of my soul dies every single time I see that idiotic placeholder name.

My irrational hatred for that word aside, I keep wondering if Redlance is going try and shape the plant elves, for whatever reason.

Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:39 am

It's easier to write than Fungus Animungus.

Maybe plantshapers are essentially healers to them.
But of course; I don't suppose they are actually part plants.

Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:54 am

Redhead Ember wrote:

Here's a thought; if Cutter being injured - as on the cover - is not a result of getting attacked by the wolves, could it be the "funguys"?

I still maintain that they look more like they're debating what kind of wine to serve him with that healing or helping him.

I suggest a deep red with hints of woods and nuts and lots of drama.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 am

I suggest Chardonnay.
(No I don't know why I think it should be white wine)

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Shadowpath wrote:
Quote :
"funguys"
A little bit of the most bitter part of my soul dies every single time I see that idiotic placeholder name.

I hate that term too. Glad we're on the same page.

Having said that, I am all happy that Filcher wasn't torn apart and killed even though he's obviously quite aged and literally about to permanently drop any second.

Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm

I like the art. It looks decent. I don't care about what happens to Cutter at the moment, but I'd love to see the funguys. If only to learn what to call them. Razz

Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Zadzi wrote:
[I hate that term too. Glad we're on the same page.
Well, it was WENDY who said: "Call them fungus amungus!" (spelling?) because she clearly hates to see them called "Tree Elves". So ... *shrug* ... the nickname is quite obvious.

Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Davrille wrote:
Hey, look! Leetah got a new facial expression!

Literally my first thought too. Laughing And it looks good, especially next to the two recycled images of her!

The Filcher moment was quite touching, I thought, and not so much funny.  Poor old guy just wants to be with his elf-friend even though his body's giving out.  I've had dogs like that, where you weren't sure they were going to make it up and then, one day, they don't.  That's when you know it's the last day.  Sad

I like the eeriness of the wolves gathered around Cutter without attacking.  I am choosing to read "How can it be one, yet two in one?" to mean both elf and wolf--not both Cutter and Timmain--because that is the only non-ridiculous interpretation.  I'm not sure that's how W&R meant it, but that's how I'm going to take it.  Otherwise, I agree with Manga it would just be too unbelievable.  I mean, the wolves could even send back in Cutter's youth.  I can just imagine Joyleaf's wolfriend sidling up to her, "Hey, so about your cub..."

EDIT: Whoops!  Didn't see this from Redhead Ember, above:
Quote :
Maybe it's simply that Cutter is - in a way - both elf and wolf.
 Agree.

Otherwise, the only nit I have to pick is that I wish Cutter's expression were more "squinty" when he opens one eye to see why the wolves haven't eaten him yet.  This is a problem of reusing the previous image.

I continue to hate Redlance's beard with the fiery power of a thousand suns.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this one!
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 1:13 am

Yeah- that was how I read the wolves. They were confused as to how he was half and half elf and wolf. Unlike all the wolves he has ever met previously, which welcomed him as one of their own. (Guttlecraw's pit, anyone?) but these guys seem like cannibals- they are considering eating Filtcher- so maybe they are not so nice. His half open eye was an obvious visual metaphor for his current identity crisis. It was a little odd looking- maybe heavy handed. I didn't realize he was supposed to be squinting. The art seems nice-- though lacking, as was pointed out, the subtlety and grace of all her traditional art. I liked Leetah's new expression. It's time someone looked upset about this (other than Cutter)-- everyone else was still in their blue steel model pose, expression wise. Continue to hate the coloring. God- why. Why is the silent dude pink in the shadows? Why is there no consistent logic to the shading? Why these weird grey and green skin colors? Just... why. I guess because sometimes bad things happen to good comics. Life is just like that.

I'm enjoying the writing at this point. I like that Filtcher is near death now-- it emphasizes the passage of time and the lack of effect it has on the elves. We are back (mostly) to show not tell- and that's good. One thing-- do readers really need it pointed out the Redlance is a tree shaper? Does he need that intro this late in the game? Anyone reading this ready knows-- and anyone who doesn't is totally confused by the story anyway and will have to go back and revisit previous stories to get a clue.

I'm looking forward to this issue. There's a lot of forward movement in the plot, even in this little snippet. It promises to be an interesting segment of the story. I hope that Wendy recovers smoothly from her surgery. She's a trooper, and regardless of this particular story arc plays out-- she'll always have my respect as an artist and storyteller. She'll always be one of the greats.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 am

I like Cutter's body language- and how his different poses are drawn on the page where he walks away with the wolf-- that's really nice. Great work. On the page with the other characters-- why is Dr. Dre pink? Why is Leetah yellow? Why is Nightfall grey? Why is there no logic to the lighting?

I want to recolor this so bad. I wonder if Final Quest could be good with adequate coloring?

Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Lunakat wrote:
His half open eye was an obvious visual metaphor for his current identity crisis. It was a little odd looking- maybe heavy handed. I didn't realize he was supposed to be squinting.

That's interesting. I didn't consider it symbolically. As for the squinting, maybe that's just my projection. I think it's a pretty common visual in a lot of movies, tv, and comics--something really bad is about to happen, the protagonist closes his/her eyes (either out of fear, acceptance, etc.), the bad thing doesn't happen, the protagonist peeks out one eye to see why not. It's almost a visual "tv trope." Now I might just be terrible at winking, but it's quite unnatural to hold one eye perfectly open and the other perfectly closed. Usually there's some kind of facial contortion, even if it's mild. Here, the two Cutter faces are basically clones, except one has an open eye. Just seems unlikely, physically. None of this is a huge issue, but it does weaken the realism and the emotion of the moment for me a bit.

Also love Cutter's body language with Filcher. In the panel where Filcher collapses, Cutter just looks so...resigned. Like, "Of course my wolf is going to die now. I've lost everything else, why not him?"

Agree, the colors are no better than usual....I think the muddy variations in the search party are meant to suggest depth of field, but it's really not coming off.
Back to top Go down
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Wisp wrote:
The Filcher moment was quite touching, I thought, and not so much funny.  Poor old guy just wants to be with his elf-friend even though his body's giving out.  I've had dogs like that, where you weren't sure they were going to make it up and then, one day, they don't.  That's when you know it's the last day.  Sad

Yeah, this. :-( That page kinda broke me, because I've been there.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Lunakat wrote:
Unlike all the wolves he has ever met previously, which welcomed him as one of their own. (Guttlecraw's pit, anyone?)

I never got the impression that the wolves in the pit simply welcomed Cutter as one of their own, he had to prove that he was strong enough, assert his dominance. Which, when it came to Warfrost, wasn't actually that strong, what with the journey to Nonna and Adar - three years later - being delayed because Warfrost had to attend to the very important business of... rolling in someting.
Even if wolf-Timmain had realised the link between her and Cutter - never got the impression that she did - I don't think her presence would have made much of a difference, since she was the low-wolf of that pack.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 1:37 pm

No- he doesn't prove himself. He just holds very still.

http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ17&p=3

Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 5:20 pm

I never got the impression Timmain recognized Cutter, either. I got the impression she recognized Petalwing.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 pm

I have the impression that Wendy came up with this plot twist well after writing and illustrating the original quest.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Multi-Facets wrote:
I never got the impression Timmain recognized Cutter, either. I got the impression she recognized Petalwing.
I second that. (I always assumed this was her?)
Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Timmai10

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:33 pm

I agree with Lunakat about the Timmain/Cutter thing...it definitely still reads as being thought of well after OQ. Glaringly so.

I always thought the wolves in the pit were a danger but only if they weren't handled properly. This time, it just seemed like Cutter didn't give a damn and sort of had a death wish.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Shadowpath wrote:
Multi-Facets wrote:

I thought of that one wolf too...but it could also easily be perceived as a wtf expression ...
maybe wtf, can i eat it Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Zadzi wrote:
Shadowpath wrote:
Multi-Facets wrote:

I thought of that one wolf too...but it could also easily be perceived as a wtf expression ...
I honestly thought she went 'oH FUCK THAT'S RIGHT I'M NOT ACTUALLY A WOLF!'

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:02 pm

That would be awesome if it was a memory trigger. I mean her expression does look kinda omg. I've never seen Timmain with omg expression at all. That's why I prefer her in wolf form, she's so much more....lively?

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I always thought that the more aware she is, the less lively she is. Or closed off?
...I feel like making a post of Timmain expressions.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Yeah- maybe because the high ones were so old and disconnected. The more in touch with that kind of life and memories of that life she gets, the more remote she gets as well?

Maybe as a wolf she was living more in the immediacy of the moment.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Makes me wonder why she now wants to leave the mudball. She seems to be very fond of being there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #14
Page 6 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next