Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Elfquest Show Episode 21

Go down 
+12
sun girl
Zadzi
Embala
Redhead Ember
kathleen3.0
Stargazer
Lunakat
Davrille
Miss Gillespie
Lurks
Kindredsoul
Nibblet
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

The Elfquest Show Episode 21 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Elfquest Show Episode 21   The Elfquest Show Episode 21 - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 2:11 am

sun girl wrote:
ErinC1978 wrote:
...there was speculation that ALL the Wolfriders might be reincarnated High Ones (or chunks of reincarnated High Ones?). Had that turned out to be true, that might have been another way of upping the stakes -- when any individual Wolfrider died, it's true that they would live on, but they wouldn't be *themselves* anymore in very important ways.

Interesting idea, but it couldn't apply to all Wolfriders since we've seen the spirits of One-Eye, Joyleaf and Bearclaw all being their individual selves (at least not without writing in a new rule that spirits can take on different appearances too).

Argh, good point, that would be quite the retcon.
Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: The Elfquest Show Episode 21   The Elfquest Show Episode 21 - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Zadzi wrote:
And I still don't know what the hell Moondshade is really doing in the palace. What do they all DO in there?

Agree 100%.  It really undercuts the spirit vs. flesh debate when one side is so unappealing.   The Wolfriders win hands-down.  Not only do they get to enjoy physical life to the full, but they go on to more independence and excitement after death.  Most of them, like Cutter, are at peace with their mortality and the end of physical existence.  There is no downside for them in this scenario.  

ErinC1978 wrote:
At one point, after the "Timmain is Cutter" reveal but before the next issue came out, IIRC there was speculation that ALL the Wolfriders might be reincarnated High Ones (or chunks of reincarnated High Ones?). Had that turned out to be true, that might have been another way of upping the stakes -- when any individual Wolfrider died, it's true that they would live on, but they wouldn't be *themselves* anymore in very important ways.

I saw those theories too.  I agree with sun girl that it isn’t likely the case, but it would be quite creepy.  I’m actually not sure which I find more terrifying—obliteration of identity or subsummation of identity.  In that respect, Cutter’s response to Timmain’s revelation feels very authentic.

Wingthing wrote:
If there were clear advantages depicted to hanging out in the Palace all the time, then Wolfriders and their whole "Way" of undue suffering and primitivism wouldn't seem nearly so appealing and noble. Just like being a spirit is supposed to be SOO much cooler if you're a Wolfrider. Because otherwise Wendy couldn't justify all these elves' refusal to be purged from what is essentially a terminal illness.

I suspect that's the intention, but I don’t think the Wolfriders really have much sense of what the afterlife holds for them.  Wendy and Richard decided that they become ultimate astral explorers or whatever, but that's basically irrelevant in terms of the story.  The Wolfriders don’t know much about the afterlife.  They’ve known that there’s some sort of existence after death, but it was not commonplace to have communication with the deceased before the palace came back.  They don’t know about seeing stars born and die or whatever, and that doesn’t seem like the sort of thing most Wolfriders could even imagine.  So I don’t think they’re hanging onto their wolfblood because it’ll give them a more interesting afterlife.
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: The Elfquest Show Episode 21   The Elfquest Show Episode 21 - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 pm

For the Monty Python fans... I bring to mind a recollection of a recording that fits in well with Cutter's predicament...

Half a bee, philosophically
Must, ipso facto, half not be
But half the bee has got to be
A vis-a-vis its entity, d'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee
When half the bee is not a bee
Due to some ancient injury?

(And the song part of Eric thr Half a Bee takes over)

But then I must wonder if Cutter must be
feeling a bit like that bee,
if he truely must be, or not be
Or just half be and half not be?

This is relevent, to a degree, as he did steal a hive in his youth, so it is possible he was doomed to end up asking such questions as "to bee or not to be", especially if there isnt anything else to eat down the road.

PostSubject: Re: The Elfquest Show Episode 21   The Elfquest Show Episode 21 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Elfquest Show Episode 21
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7