Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Animal Types and stuff

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Animal Types and stuff Empty
PostSubject: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyWed Sep 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Animal Types - a thread from the from the original Scroll of Colors I want to have here. It might spark ideas ...

Last edited by Embala on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyWed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

... and I want to have the content here, tooo - just to be sure. In case I break rules with quoting the old posts here please let me know.

ceruleanblue wrote:
Some of the elves have had their animal types described.
From the Gatherum:

Cutter - Bantam rooster
Skywise - Fox
Rayek - Coral snake
Leetah - Cat

Any thoughts on what "animal types" other characters would be? So far I've thought:

Dewshine - deer
Bearclaw - badger (that one was easy, since he's called "Old Badger" by Joyleaf!)

Embala wrote:
Dewshine - a songbird would work for her, too.

An "old bird" for Voll! He always reminds me of a vulture (without the negative image). A friend of mine had a better suggestion:
Voll - condor
Savah - barn owl

I wonder who "the wolf" would be - Strongbow?

ceruleanblue wrote:
As for a wolf, I was thinking Nightfall would be a good fit, too.
Winnowill - serpent, or a black widow spider.

Embala wrote:
Ekuar - turtle ... this was my first thought when it comes to him.

Treestump - bear
... big and heavy, following his own business and being rather harmless in general. But a fierce and deadly fighter when he got threatened or fears his loved ones endangered.

Venka - deer ... might be her brown skin and the big, calm eyes ...

ceruleanblue wrote:
Tyleet - sparrow
Scouter - falcon
Redlance - cottontail rabbit
Pike - Otter, or squirrel/chipmunk

Sunstream - Butterfly: a tranformer and symbol of metamorphosis (the symbolism of him being cocooned and re-emerging transformed both physically and spiritually can't be missed).

Also; could Strongbow be an elk? The elk is an animal of nobility, power, freedom, and great strength and agility.

Timmain - swan

Embala wrote:
power, freedom, and great strength and agility - sounds like Kahvi for me. And nobility ... her connection to the Chief's line.

TrollHammer wrote:
I was thinking of a cougar for Kahvi. Fierce, leaping into the attack, uncageable (though she was 'caged' by tyldak). That points to another of her 'catty' attributes: chacing her 'bird'!

As for Tyldak, Ive always joked in my stories about him being part teridactil, naming him Teridak.

Timmorn hits me as a tasmainian devil. Probibly because his furry profile matches that of the loonie toons character.

Seems like I remember pike being discribed as a chipmunk somewhere, perhaps in the story. Iget an image of him reacting to something, perhaps the comment.

Embala wrote:
Tyldak ... the obvious - a bat, though hes definitely not a nocturnal creature ... or a Pterosaurus, of course (Pteranodon or Pterodaktylus)

ceruleanblue wrote:
Yep, it's been confirmed by Wendy and Richard that Tyldak's name was created by rearranging a couple of syllables in the word 'pterodactyl' (Tyl and dac, substituting a k for the c in dac).

I'm thinking Strongbow might be better represented by a bird of prey; silent, powerful and direct.

How about Moonshade? For some reason, a moth that would be active at night seems to be a good fit for her.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyWed Sep 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Suggestion Listings

from the Gatherum - Weny Pini's characterization:

Cutter - Bantam rooster
Skywise - Fox
Rayek - Coral snake
Leetah - Cat

Animal Types and stuff Cutter10 Animal Types and stuff Skywis10 Animal Types and stuff Rayek_10 Animal Types and stuff Leetah10

fan suggestions:

Ahdri - gazelle
Bearclaw - badger
Dewshine - deer / songbird / sparrow
Ekuar - turtle / goat
Freetouch - chipmunk / monkey
Greymung - slug
Kahvi - cougar / elk
Korafay - angelfish
Krim - mocking jay / grackle / lemming  Twisted Evil
Mender - ferret / fox / cobra / jaguar / lynx
Moonmirror - otter
Moonshade - moth
Nightfall - wolf / panther
Oddbit - shrew / pig
Old Maggoty - bat / toad
Picknose - Groundhog / mole
Pike - Otter / squirrel / chipmunk
Rainsong - rabbit
Rayek - mongoose
Redlance - cottontail rabbit / doe/bambi / flowering bush
Savah - barn owl
Scot - wild boar / horse
Scouter - falcon
Strongbow - falcon / deer / elk / mountain goat / ram / wolf
Sunstream - butterfly
Timmain - mantis / swan
Treestump - bear
Tyldak - bat / pterodactyl
Tyleet - sparrow / squirrel
Venka - deer / owl
Voll - condor
Winnowill - serpent / black widow spider
Yun - catfish / polar fox  

Bone Woman - toad
Olbar - buffalo

Last edited by Embala on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyWed Sep 28, 2016 10:08 pm

I think Strongbow is a deer- and Dewshine is a sparrow

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 2:12 am

Oooh! This is so neat! Lunakat and Embala, you guys got it down. I do think Dewshine is a bird all the way. Even her soul name resonates with that (making perfect sense of recognizing Tyldak)!

I think Leetah is a house cat too lol. Just one which is NOT declawed Smile

I think Venka can be a bird too, alternatively. I want to say owl but I don't necessarily think she's always that 'wise'....just has that 'sees everything' kind of feeling/look.

I sort of see Redlance as a deer actually. But I can see why he'd be like a rabbit.

Strongbow can be a falcon, or even a deer, but I sort of see him like a mountain goat or a ram Razz I know it's not as predatory but they sure are rugged creatures.
Pike as otter is just so perfect. I even thought it before I read it.
I love animal totems.

Animal Types and stuff Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 am

Hell, I can even see Ekuar as a kind of goat too, just not a ram lol.
Timmain I can see as.....a praying mantis.

Aurek -some kind of owl.
Krim - bird - blue jay or mocking bird
Kahvi - Cougar all the way lol
Rayek - I think he can be a mongoose too
Skot - Wild boar (tusk hog?), or, alternatively, a horse
Yun - Catfish Smile
Mender - ....? Anyone?
Skywise - .... Gosh, I'm stuck.

Back to top Go down
LurkingCat

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 12:23 pm

I could see Mender as some kind of wild cat... maybe a Jaguar? He has some trickster qualities, too Razz

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 pm

A deer for Strongbow surprises me, Lunakat. I can see the "proud stag" in a way but I thought Strongbow would be a predator for sure. Would you share your reasons for this association?
Little sparrow Dewshine - buy it. °v° Especially during the "good old years" .

Mender as a jaguar ... dangerous, stalking, beautiful, unpredictable - I see him, LurkingCat.

That's a bunch, Zadzi! Shocked  ... and you have whimsical suggestions ... ^^
What are your concepts of "deer" when you suggest both Redlanceand Strongbow for this one? Same with Strongbow and Ekuar competing for being a goat ...
On the other side there's general consens about Leetah and Dewy ... and Pike qualifies for otter (to my surprise). Cougar for Kahvi again. Still clueless how I'd see Venka ...
I can imagine the owl for (old) Aurek ... and a sloth for the current one. (My apologies, Aurek!) Mocking bird fits for Krim and her big mouth - tho I'd prefer some more "stupid" animal for her. Lemming? ^^
Wild boar for Skot - true at times ... but what qualifies him for horse? And Yun for catfish ... *blinks* I'd really like to learn about your reasons, Zadzi.
Rayek being seen as a snake and it's opponent, a mongoose - now that's funny! XD

Mender would be something poisonous for me ... beautiful, useful but poisonous.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyThu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm

heehee, I love catfish. They're big, curious, intelligent but also can get all ruthless. I don't know why actually, it just popped into my head.

As for the deer thing...hmm like a female deer for Redlance (no antlers ! ) Very Happy .... a ram OR some kind of stag for Strongbow. A cute but surefooted goat for Ekuar. Like one of those farm goats. Not sure exactly about the breeds which is why I don't know what to name it.

As for Skot...I don't know, I just saw a creature which is strong and yet serves and has a lot of endurance, so I thought of a horse Smile

Hahaha sloth for current Aurek LOL!

What about a grackle for Krim? They're very aggressive and noisy. Still intelligent though. I think the blackbird or magpie family is notorious for its noisy birds. I'm drawing a blank on other types besides, like, parrots or something. And she certainly wouldn't be a parrot.

i'm really stuck in terms of Mender! I know he's got all these attributes and I keep thinking of mythical creatures but nothing 'real' lol!

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 12:22 am

I've always thought of Strongbow as a stag. He's got the coloring for it. He poses like a stag. And his bow always reminds me of antlers.

Redlance is something closer to the ground. Maybe he's a bush. Like-- a flowering bush.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 am

I keep seeing Redlance as Bambi lol.

You know what, thinking of Mender, I think he can be a stoat/weasel/ferret, or, alternatively, a fox. Granted, foxes aren't really deadly but they are predators and they're very wily and they have a bit of the trickster in them.
As for stoats - while they're all tiny and cute and not 'deadly' looking, they can hypnotize their prey, rabbits and the like.
Both are highly intelligent and I think they can be very underestimated, which reminds me of Mender.

Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Wendy's described Skywise as a fox,Rayek as a snake,Cutter as a cockerel and Leetah as a cat. Picknose for some reason is either a groundhog or mole to me,Oddbit a shrew and Old Maggoty a bat.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Strongbow as a stag - now I can see your vision, Lunakat. The colors, the pose ... always standing, always warchful. I like how you include his bow as part of his body - very fitting.
Redlance as a flowering bush - as surprising as obvious.

I try to imagine Redlance with spots, Zadzi. ^^
Mender as a ferret ... still too small and not dangerous enough for me. Hypnotize ... hmmm. Mender is a cobra!
Guess I lack both connection and knowlege about catfish to understand your suggestion for Yun. Point noted.
Yun ... animal of the north ... an ice fox for me?
I figure Krim is an Angri Bird for you ... XD

Picknose a groundhog/mole - literally a burrower. XD Maggoty as a bat - why not. Oddbit a shrew is hard to imagine for me, Prism. Too small, too fragile and the wrong type of nose. ^^
Oddbit makes me think of a pig - blame Miss Piggy! pig

And Maggoty would be a toad for me. Living underground, big mouth, warts ... and a toad is an animal of wisdom in some cultures. Or a witch companion - and Maggoty is the classic witch for me.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Ahdri strikes me as a gazelle, I can see Maggoty as a toad and Oddbit a pig,Tyleet's coloring reminds me of a squirrel and Venka as an owl. Freetouch is definitely a hyper chipmunk, Korafay looks like an agelfish to me,Moonmirror a playful otter, Nightfall is very pantherish and Greymung reminds me of a slug. Bone Woman looks like a toad, but stirs things too much to think of an animal type for her.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff EmptySun Oct 02, 2016 12:16 am

Freetouch is a little chipmunk but I also see shades of monkey lol

Embala...my feelings for catfish are very weird, hard to put into words lol. I just love them!

I'm on the fence on Mender being a snake. I was going to say cobra too, but his deadly side came out a bit later.... I wanted to choose animals that hypnotize which aren't snakes. There's a kind of cat like a lynx too which does that. I always see Mender as a wee bit fuzzy Razz

@Prism - Wendy's suggestions seem very straightforward and I can see why they'd be as they are. She did have Savah call Cutter a cockerel before, so it makes sense. Rayek being a snake feels kind of ...I don't know. So many villains associated with snakes, and I don't see Rayek as a villain, no matter how badly his character is being assassinated currently. That's why I chose a mongoose... can fight snakes especially, very well.

And yeah, Ahdri makes an awesome gazelle!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal Types and stuff   Animal Types and stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Animal Types and stuff
Page 1 of 1