Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

About life...

Go down 
+18
Wiseshaman
Embala
Tam
KR Wordgazer
Lunakat
Stargazer
TrollHammer
Leanan
llannen
PCoquelin
wolfmoonsky
Multi-Facets
Elwing
MrsGrizzley
Timmain
Kir, the last Go-Back
Stormcatcher
Trollbabe
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 pm

So, I'm unemployed right now- and I'm taking this opportunity to a.) reset my password on this form to something I can actually remember, and b.) hang out with y'all here. On the old forum, we had an 'off topics' section with several threads that were for venting and chatting about life. That place is way too public now (okay- it was always public, but it had a more private feel before-no?) for me to feel comfortable doing that there. I figured I'd set up a thread where the few of us here can just chat about what's happening in life. C'mon- it's therapeutic, right?

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 pm

My personal rant:

Anyways. First of all this week, I had an interview for an amazing job opportunity. I was basically interviewing to be lead artist in this game company. I'm completely underqualified- but no one knows that. If I were to get the job, I would have to seriously (and quickly) brush up on certain skills (which I should probably do anyway). In either case... I think the point is moot. I have a cold, and during the interview, I coughed, and I snotted. That's pretty gross. I am feeling thoroughly humiliated. I don't think I have much of a chance- because a lot of that was riding on me bedazzling them with my charming personality. You can't be charming while blowing your nose ineffectively in front of an art director. Think about what "ineffectively" means. I have been hugely embarrassed ever since.

In the meantime- I need to jumpstart my energy and enthusiasm in looking for more mediocre positions. I am getting unemployment, but I feel like a loser.

My boyfriend is well employed through an agency. He's working from home- and it's kind of awesome. I took one of his jobs for him when he was sick, and I got paid more than I've ever been paid in my life for a few days work. I could do what he's doing and have a lot of money and a flexible schedule- but again, I need to brush up my skills.

Sometimes, I worry that he's judging me- because he's a better artist than I am, and he has consistently worked harder at it. I know I need to improve- but I'm really tired.

Actually, I can't tell if I'm tired in general or just lazy. I've worked hard before in my life- so I'm leaning toward just plain tired in general. I might also be a bit down in the dumps. It keeps getting harder to motivate myself to find new work every time a job ends- or a studio gets liquidated thanks to a merger (as was the case with my last position). But I could be just lazy. It could be I got in a habit of trying less, because I'm tired- and just gave up. And it became laziness.

If I could just do this I would: get married, have a baby- let him pay the bills. Raise my kid. I think my hormones are screaming at me to do this. But I don't think it's affordable right now- and I don't think he would want to be the sole income earner- it's just too scary. We both have a lot of bills to pay. Etc.

Anyways- life is complicated. And it takes a truckload of energy I don't have right now to be successful at it. I don't know how to jumpstart myself. Ug.

That's my rant. What's yours?

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Seriously, guys- can you top blowing snot out of your nose in front of people you are trying to impress during your one chance at a job opportunity you will probably never get again?

Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Aw. *hugs Luna* I hope you get an AWESOME job. Because you're awesome. <3
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks, Leanan. You're awesome too! I'm so glad to have found a quiet place to chat with you guys again. I had no idea this forum was here until WiseShaman let us know. Yeah... I think it's just going to come down to me mustering the effort. Aside from wiping snot on my face in front of people I was trying (and failing) to impress... I think I just have to muster the energy to really give it a go. But I don't feel like it. That's so lazy of me- but I just freakin don't. I sort of want to roll over and sleep all day- and that's.. not going to help.

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 5:35 am

I know the feeling Luna. I work for a company that under values it's employees at every turn. I'm in the process of looking elsewhere as well.

But until then I have another pay raise. Hopefully when California minimum hits 10 per hr, my wages will be above that and not equal to a new employees wages.

In the meantime, I just found out my share of a class action lawsuit against said company. It is a tidy sum and there may be more on the way. The labor code violations are unbelievable. This company just can't understand that in California the employees have certain rights. It should be very interesting in the next few months or so.

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 2:15 am

Oh my gosh, Golden- that's terrible! I can't believe they would pay you less than ten an hour. No company has respect for it's employees anymore. It's tragic. Our economy is dehumanized.

Rant #2: My boyfriend is thoughtless, self centered and inconsiderate. But I picked him- so it's my resonsibility, I guess.

edit: Confession #1: Yesterday I had a bad day and blamed it on my boyfriend. He was a little thoughtless, but not deliberately so. I needed a scapegoat. He was mine.

edit: Today, so far, is beautiful! My goodness, but attitude will color everything. Economy is still dehumanized, though. And Golden still deserves better! But Farmer's Market's are disarmingly pleasant- so (confession #2) I am easily distracted from musing on such injustices. I bought some Turkish towels. When will I ever use a hand-woven, cotton towel for anything? I won't. It's so impractical. But it's just freakin lovely- and I appreciate that this woman's family back in Turkey took the time and effort to make it. And that she gave me a discount to make a sale. Sometimes it's just nice to have... something nice.

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 pm

Golden, I totally know where you're coming from. My husband has been with the same company for 25 years and his employer has spent years stealing my husband's due wages (be it Union, State,or Federal).  He charges places for the extra wage cost for labor, but he doesn't pay that amount, but pockets the money instead.

Even after years of being turned in, no one did anything, or his boss paid people off.

Finally, this year, an investigation was done for "one" particular job and we got a check for back wages of that job.  $8000 the employer stole from my husband for 7 to 8 weeks he was on that job. (we only got $4,900 because of taxes)

What's that tell ya? Shocked

I know my husband will never get compensated for previous jobs over the years (yeah, that's frustrating to swallow) but I have to tell myself that this check is better than nothing at all, right?  Wink

Unfortunately, our employment system in this country is nothing but a scam

*hugs to all*
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 7:39 am

That's terrible, Kindred!

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 12:27 am

This is what many people are dealing with when it comes to their employers. No wonder unions are needed, but they are just as guilty of greed as employers are.

Oh well. Just found out my first Supervisor is due to get about 14,000. He just bought a house so it will come in handy.

On the up side. I worked barely two hrs today and got sent home. Yeah! Still get the holiday pay to boot and found out that the raffle we were having hourly on Saturday, actually led me to winning something. Yup you got it, after four years and many different games and raffles, I finally won something. 50 bucks, thank you.

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Wouldn't it be great if there was a 'sleep mode' for life?

... I guess that would be called 'sleep.'

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 am

Now that is what I call finding a simple answer in a simple observation.

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey y'all! I just signed up for the Yuletide gift exchange on archiveofourown.org- and everything was going well enough until I had an email exchange w the mods.

I had to pick three fandoms- and I really only like a couple - so I sort of randomly decided to go with Nightwing. I was like ''or write me a story about Nightwing." And they were all "you can't request a story about Nightwing for the Nightwing fandom. That character isn't an option. And I was like ''what? How is that possible?" So they explained but were snippy about it because I didn't understand their confusing rules properly. So I said I didn't really care about that fandom- I was more interested in the other two- and they got pissed off that I wasn't signing up "in good faith"-- so then I called them uptight (and maybe a couple of other things) and they disqualified me.

But you know? They were freakin uptight- and a couple of other things. I will never post a story there again!

I just wanted to say how glad I am to be interacting with you guys. You are such a nice collection of people- and everyone is decent, even if we disagree or have a misunderstanding. Nobody has a stick up their butt and we always work things out. It's a really nice community, and I've been hanging out here for about ten years (long time). Y'all are cool- and other peeps only confirm that. Thanks.

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Damn... Suspect Now that sounds really stingy! Sorry to hear you went through that, Luna... sounds like they have a bit of a seniority complex too, being such sticklers about someone who simply misunderstood their rules and such. *hugs*

Just an FYI, you as well as anyone here can write non EQ fanfics if you so wish! We have a section for non EQ stuff for that Wink
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 8:27 am

Yeah, that's why I never joined the boy Scouts Luna...WAY too many rules about shorts and badges and stuff!! Razz

But you know we'll never do anything like that...cause we LUV everyone!

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 pm

@WiseShaman- Those rules about shorts are the worst! Razz

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 2:47 pm

So, last night we went out to a bar and stopped off for some tacos after the bar closed. My boyfriend got jumped by five guys and stabbed multiple times. Not fun. Haven't seen the emergency room of a hospital in a long time. I jumped on the guy's back and tried to choke him with a broom handle I found lying around. He punched me in the head- but I have a hard head so I just ignored it. I'm really hoping the police find these guys. Am trying to figure out how best to spend a day in a hospital room.

Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Shocked OMG that is awful, Luna! *lots of hugs* I hope your boyfriend gets better soon and that they find those jerks!
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Holy Crap Luna!!

I'm hoping and praying for the best for you guys. Was it just a random mugging?

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 pm

It was pretty random- but not a mugging. It was just a street fight. They just decided to start something.

Well, he's okay. He didn't need surgery- just stitching up. Amazingly, they missed all vital organs- so that's great. What can I say? It's never boring.

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks for the well wishes

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 11:10 pm

OMG Luna  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked ... thank the stars it wasn't worse than it was!!!

*careful hugs* Just take it easy and rest so you have a speedy recovery!

And victory howls for your Wolfrider/Go-Back instincts that kicked in when you fought back!! cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 12:22 am

OMG!!!! Thankfully the both of you are safe and otherwise healthy. Good for you for trying to help out as well. Hopefully the cops will get the fools and you'll never have so deal with them again.

Lunakat

Lunakat

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks, Golden. I don't think we will have to deal with them again, even if they aren't caught. I don't know that catching them will make much difference. Honestly, I'm just glad my boyfriend is okay. He should never have interacted with them in the first place. He was pretty brave, but if he had been willing to back down, he wouldn't have had to be.

I think he's going to be okay. He was in the hospital for about three days. He has six stab wounds- all of which could have hit a major organ but miraculously didn't. Overall, this was the best possible outcome. I really love the guy- and I would have been very disappointed in life if he had gotten killed or permanently damaged.

As it turns out- if this sort of thing happens to any of you- there is a fund (in California at least) for victims of violent crime that will cover your medical expenses and loss of income for up to 70,000 dollars. I don't know what other states have- but this here is pretty sweet. Always ask about these things!

Also- thank you Obama! (My bf says if he ever meets Obama he is going to bend down and kiss him on the butt cheeks- yes, he said that.) Anyways- last year, he had to leave his job to recover from an injury midway through the year. As a consequence, he was eligible for the newly-expanded medical program. That actually covered everything, so we didn't need the victims fund. The insurance he pays for would only have covered half of his hospital stay. This is amazing! We really thought we were going to be paying off a large bill for a long time. Yep- we found out about that through the social worker at the hospital. Kaiser is the best hospital!

All in all- this has a really happy ending. Even if the bad guys don't get caught. And I think it was good for our relationship too. (is that a terrible thing to say?) We've been having some trouble for a while. But he's been grateful for everything since... well, not dying of multiple stab wounds. He gave me this whole speech about how he loves me and that he would never want anything to happen to me, and that he got really scared for the first time when the guy punched me- and that he's going to try to be the best boyfriend he can be from now on. And I pretty much told him the same thing.

And every since (which has been- what? Two days?) We've been very good to each other. We say 'I love you' on a regular basis, and we are treating each other the way we always should have been.

I hope everyone here has someone in their life that means something special to them- whether a significant other, child or pet- and that they tell them all the time and appreciate every minute together. And appreciate all the beautiful things in daily life. Now don't I sound like a "Hallmark After School Special"? But it's true.

Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm really glad to read that your horrible encounter had a good outcome in the end - boyfriend not too badly hurt, the lovers closer than before and someone actually praising the POTUS!  After all the Obama-bashing I've read on other boards this makes for a pleasant change.

Good luck to you, Luna, and to your boyfriend!

Last edited by Stormcatcher on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

About life... Empty
PostSubject: Re: About life...   About life... Empty

Back to top Go down

About life...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next