HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Happy Inauguration Day, America!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 pm

I think her hairstyle looks elf-y! But I am more into clothes. First Ladies tend to be fashion icons for their era.

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Happy Inauguration Day, Trollbabe. Enjoy the show.

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:16 am

Thanks! I could have made the trip personally, but I prefer DC when it's not crowded. Lots to see there.

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 am

@Trollbabe wrote:
Wow.

I was actually referring to an occasion that our country only celebrates every four years.

I didn't mean to spark negative political commentary.

Okay, I didn't vote for him either.  But ask yourself, how would a Trump supporter, who was interested in Elfquest at  any level, respond to these comments on the "Circle of Life" thread?

I would hope that a Trump supporter would respond with his or her own positive feelings about the inauguration, and not consider other people's lack of agreement as a personal attack. No one was saying "Trump supporters are bad." Merely that some of us are not happy with the new administration.

The cat and vase cartoon, though funny, was kind of insulting to Trump, though.

I personally have never considered an inauguration a celebration-- because there's always a sizable group who isn't happy that the person was elected.

It was a point of celebration that we elected our first black President, and it will be a point of celebration when we finally elect our first woman President. And that would be true no matter which party the nominee was from, or whether I personally supported their candicacy.

But an inauguration, in and of itself, is not a celebration to me. I do hope that Trump is a better President than I'm expecting him to be be. I do want him to do well.

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:25 am

@KR Wordgazer wrote:
The cat and vase cartoon, though funny, was kind of insulting to Trump, though.

Maybe. I call it satire, sometimes it hurts. And we have a saying in Germany: "Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es heraus" (kinda "What goes around, comes around."). He insulted so many people without thinking, I guess he can cope with it. If a politician can't deal with satire, there is a problem.

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 pm

It's not a point of celebration that the country elected a beltway outsider, regardless of color or gender?

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Not necessarily. I think outside the beltway is a ridiculous term. We've elected outside of it many times when you look way back historically and it's harder to define then deciding whether or not someone is African American or female. It still is an interesting thought though.

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Not this one. Just because someone is an outsider doesn't make them a good choice. Look at what he says, who he's putting in office and look at his agenda. It's terrible-- he's appointing people who are not only incompetent but destructive in terms of what they want to do.

This is the metaphor my sister used. "I don't like my choices of restaurant-- so instead, I'm going to go out in the alley and eat some trash off the ground." That was her take on the logic of voting Trump because he's an outsider-- and I can't agree with her more.

I'm going to protest him today.

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Keep in mind Lunakat that not everyone thinks his choices are terrible or destructive. There are two sides to everything and some people believe he is planning things that will be good. It is all a matter of opinion and no opinion is better than another.

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:41 pm

@ Evil Evie - While you're right in theory about the two sides - and how opinions differ - we are also talking about part of this other side (such as the VP) wanting to eradicate a group of people off the face of the earth, or at the very least do conversion therapy and zap the gay out of them. We aren't just talking about differing opinions here when women's rights and their bodies are under threat and defunding Planned Parenthood - the only form of healthcare they might have - is shut down.
We aren't just talking about a matter of opinion when over 30 million people are without healthcare and many WILL die -because they just wanted to get rid of the damn plan but have no actual backup , even though they've had years to come up with a replacement.
It isn't just about a matter of opinion when minorities feel under threat and there is an issue of xenophobia.
Issues like racism, sexism, discrimination, and xenophobia are because of these 'differences of opinion'. People's lives can be at stake because of these 'differences of opinions' and someone disagrees that I or someone else basically doesn't have a right to exist, or some others just basically see such issues as 'not important' because it doesn't impact them directly.

Back to top Go down
wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Perfectly summed up, Zadzi!
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 am

Well put, Zadzi. This outsider would grope my daughter if he could, and then brag about it to his friends. If he were just a political outsider it would be one thing, but he's an outsider to the reasonable boundaries of how we should treat one another in a civilized society.

I see nothing to celebrate here. I only hope for my country's sake that he's going to be a better President than he threatens to be.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:09 am

@Evil Evie wrote:
Keep in mind Lunakat that not everyone thinks his choices are terrible or destructive. There are two sides to everything and some people believe he is planning things that will be good. It is all a matter of opinion and no opinion is better than another.

Of course. Lots of people think it's a great idea to shut down the NEA, defund public school programs for special needs children and drill in national parks. They probably also think it's a great idea to vet immigrants according to their religion (despite the first amendment), build an impossibly expensive wall between here and Mexico, put the architects of the economic crash in charge of our economy, take away social security and replace it with "you should really save up" and scapegoat illegal immigrants for our countries spending problems.

If those people didn't exist, he wouldn't be president now. I'm fully aware there are differences of opinions. I'm just giving you mine.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:11 am

Well said, Zadzi.

As someone who was denied health care prior to the ACA and had to go to Planned Parenthood for a cancer screening because I couldn't afford it elsewhere-- I can't think that the Republican plan is anything more than criminal. It will literally result in people dying. And they don't care.

Soreyes

Gemini Snake

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:30 am

The sky is falling. Soreyes wonders off shaking his head wondering about mass hysteria.

I'll give Trump his first Hundred days, then I'll pile on him if he screws up.

A.J. Rimmer
Back to top Go down
G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:44 am

As a person with pre-existing health problems, it frightens me that those who are now in power would take away health insurance from those that need it the most. Thankfully I get my insurance through my employer, but if my employer suddenly had a way to remove my insurance I would be in serious trouble. My last surgery cost about 230,000. I'm still paying for my share of 4,000. Just think I still have two hearty valves that still need to be replaced. Then add that the replacements will need to be replaced every ten to fifteen years. I'm fifty-five and this is what I face for the rest of my life. Do the math, it isn't cheap. Health insurance needs to be guaranteed for everyone, not just those in power. Which by the way is provided by taxpayers. Go figure that one out.

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Sigh, I guess I'm just trying to defend my own decisions to vote for Trump. This was my first election and it wasn't an easy desicion. My mom says she's never seen our family more torn apart over an election. Trump wasn't my first choice but I did vote for him in the end and it feels like every other person I know thinks I'm either Evil or ignorant. I'm aware of everything you say, but I guess I'm hoping that congress will be able to hold him at bay in some things through checks and balances. There are things that I wouldn't mind seeing come to fruition, however. I've been depressed over all this, my dreams have been murder.

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 pm

America, your president deserves no respect.

Putin I fear and hate, but I respect him. For his intelligence, his tenacity, and his manipulation skills. The Bushes- no fan, but they had the support of their people and party, and showed sufficient leadership and political skills, and therefore they got my respect.

But now we have a man who consistently alienates his allies; members of his own party, the intelligence community, the press, the EU, his neighbors.
He shows poor character by bullying those weaker than him, and he is actually endangering world peace by kicking the shins of those more powerful than him. An elephant in a China store indeed!
And all of this because his ego is so weak that he cannot let a single real or perceived insult slide.

I see nothing in this man I admire. He is as big a sleaze as Bill Clinton was, but without the charm. All he understands is money, and self promotion. He has no moral center, no eloquence, no spine, and no honesty. He has what we call here "boerenslimheid"- the type of intelligence that is narrow minded and self serving.

He lies incessantly, transparently and without inhibitions. Even the cake turned out to be a lie! It was mostly styrofoam.

I deeply resent this man. I had nothing to do with his election, but he still threatens to damage my world.

As for the people of the USA, you did not even get what you voted for. He lost, by as much as 3 million votes, if I'm correct. He is not even legitimate! Now, go and stand up for your rights! Your right on health care, your right to choose what happens to your own body! Your right on an government that can be held to account!

This man deserves to be spat in the face by every woman on this planet. I would be the first if he stood right in front of me!
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Evie, I want to make this clear- I despise your president, but not you. I hardly know you, and I'm sure you had legit reasons to vote for him.
If what you got turned out to be not what you thought you voted for- it's not too late, and this song has not been sung yet. Make yourself heard. You voice means something because it comes from inside.
Easy for me to shout from abroad, with little understanding of what it is like to live in your situation.
So, this is not personal. I hope you understand that.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:23 am

@ Evil Evie - I've seen families torn apart by the voting and it makes me really sad! One of my oldest friends (no longer a friend but for other reasons, NOT politics) has had her kids literally alienate her since she voted for him! It makes me really sad to see.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in terms of voting and family stuff, because I've literally had no issues with my family in that regard...we're all on the same page. I mean, except for my Dutch step aunt and her husband who are in the US illegally at this point and yet want that wall built because of immigrants... but that's a different story!
Hey, we're all in this together... I don't hate ANYONE for their vote. I'm angry about some stuff but damn, I come from a family where we all fight and laugh and complain about politics over plates of amazing home cooked food and wine, and it's all good out in the open as far as I'm concerned.

Back to top Go down
Davrille

Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 am

@Trollbabe wrote:
Wow.

I was actually referring to an occasion that our country only celebrates every four years.

I didn't mean to spark negative political commentary.

Okay, I didn't vote for him either.  But ask yourself, how would a Trump supporter, who was interested in Elfquest at  any level, respond to these comments on the "Circle of Life" thread?

I don't care.

I've been following politics for 39 years -- since I was eleven years old. I watched the concept of "distinguished oppostion" disappear to blatant"whatever gets us what we want" from the GOP -- including the use of outright lies and IOKIFYAR (It's Okay If You're A Republican).

They voted on their feelings, and not what was best for the country. They will be as fucked by what the Trump administration does, but they'll still find a way to blame liberals and Democrats for it. But they didn't give a damn about anyone else's welfare, let alone feelings. So why should anyone care about theirs?

Let them reap what they have sown, everywhere and anywhere.

Back to top Go down
Davrille

Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 am

@Trollbabe wrote:
It's not a point of celebration that the country elected a beltway outsider, regardless of color or gender?

You don't get a TV show by being an outsider of any sort. And he's never been a 'beltway outsider'. He was friends with the Clintons back in the day.

This "outsiders are better!" is just nonsense. Would you hire someone who doesn't know a thing about cars to fix yours?
Back to top Go down
Soreyes

Gemini Snake

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:41 am

Gee The people here seem to be a little bitter. Ah well Trump won. As I said before. Any one in America can be President.

Well got to go to work now. Got to pay my rent, buy food, and pay for my cable so I can watch millions of people make fools of them self's. Very Happy

A.J. Rimmer
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:45 am

*peeks in to check for any bloody bodies...shakes head and closes door*

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Happy Inauguration Day, America!   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 am

Thanks Zadzi and Elwing.

@Lunakat, how was protesting? I was just reading about the women's March. Such a profound and important matter. Is that what you were a part of?

Happy Inauguration Day, America!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next