Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #21

Go down 
+21
wingthing
manga
Sadachbia
Elwing
Zadzi
Lunakat
Miss Gillespie
jaRf
Sifra
Embala
Davrille
Stargazer
Shadowpath
Startear
Evil Evie
Outlier
Multi-Facets
Redhead Ember
LurkingCat
Josine
namuhna
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Zadzi

Zadzi

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 am

Yeah it was a while ago. I was not a fan of that series. The best thing about it thought was character development: Aurek was definitely his own person and no one's secondary new age bitch. He had come into his own and it was great to see that. I completely hate seeing all of that development come undone, it's sad. And unnecessary. Aurek - Egg - could hang with the Palace and an still be himself. Why make him seem so out of it and in trance? It's totally unnecessary.

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 pm

wingthing wrote:
Miss Gillespie wrote:
I think Aurek's new look is meant as spite towards those who liked his appearance in the Kahvi mini series.

Preach! cheers It's harsh truth and it needs to be told!

It's particularly galling because of that convention sketch she did where she totally embraced the Kahvi-era Aurek, complete with his pet snake!

Don't give more credit than is due. Those weren't convention sketches, that series was $200+ commissions. The Aurek commission looked as it did because the commissioner (yours truly) specifically requested the Kahvi-era look, not because Wendy was embracing another artists' design. I've tried requesting conventions sketches from Wendy a couple of times since, and she wasn't nearly as accommodating.

Frankly, the entirety of FQ that I've seen reads as Wendy trying to scratch sand over the idea that any other writer or artist ever contributed to the Elfquest canon. The end result has been clumsy, regressive, and not terribly interesting, imo.
Back to top Go down
Bluetree

Bluetree

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Anduinel wrote:

Frankly, the entirety of FQ that I've seen reads as Wendy trying to scratch sand over the idea that any other writer or artist ever contributed to the Elfquest canon.

Wish I could say that that would be even remotely surprising. It is especially rich, though, after literally years of both her and Richard tutting "Now now, children-- you simply must stop with that 'if it ain't Wendy, it's crap' routine!" Condescension and hypocrisy, in an unironic one-two punch? Mmm yeah, that's dead sexy right there...

I so wish I'd never discovered FiQ. Would love nothing more than to simply treasure OQ for the awesomeness it is, remember SaBM/ tolerate my collection of KotBW (which aren't bad-- especially in comparison to what came after), and live in gentle ignorance of just about everything else.

W&R's perpetually childish/controlling ways, on top of a generally crap last trip to a fouled well, bring nothing but disgusted contempt nowadays. Hell of an awful end to what was once a truly revolutionary source of enjoyment.

Oh, by the way... hello and welcome, Anduinel! Cool

Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Psh, well, if you hate FQ that much, go read my comics instead! Razz It's a much happier alternaverse!
Back to top Go down
http://AmethystSadachbia.deviantART.com
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Anduinel wrote:
wingthing wrote:
Miss Gillespie wrote:
I think Aurek's new look is meant as spite towards those who liked his appearance in the Kahvi mini series.

Preach! cheers It's harsh truth and it needs to be told!

It's particularly galling because of that convention sketch she did where she totally embraced the Kahvi-era Aurek, complete with his pet snake!

Don't give more credit than is due. Those weren't convention sketches, that series was $200+ commissions. The Aurek commission looked as it did because  the commissioner (yours truly) specifically requested the Kahvi-era look.

Then on behalf of all Aurek fans, I offer a joyous ALL HAIL AND THANK YOU! cheers cheers cheers

Quote :
Frankly, the entirety of FQ that I've seen reads as Wendy trying to scratch sand over the idea that any other writer or artist ever contributed to the Elfquest canon. The end result has been clumsy, regressive, and not terribly interesting, imo.

I have often privately likened it to a desperate attempt to "re-mark her territory" like... well, a fire hydrant is involved in the simile. I'll leave at that. No

Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm just so glad that my boy Chot is still here. I was so sure that this was it, now he was going to die. That if Redlance wasn't going to die then it would be Chot.

But he is still here.

And I'm so glad for it. I wish we got the story on how he got into that position in the first place but maybew next issue?

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Ba_a_f10

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Glad for you and Chot, Startear Very Happy ... and also for myself. Chot is one of the familiar old friends now. I hope he'll make it through FQ *crossing fingers and toes* and that we'll get an enlightening flashback. Can be a longish one ... ^^

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 03, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm usually not the person who'll go "my fave! They must live!" But Chot is kind of a special case. I love how unelven he is, I love his design and that he's allowed to be rude and flawed and calls people on bullshit. (Like when he went into the ashlands of the Forevergreen to get Jethel out because no, they were not all safe, Dart!)

And when Final Quest started, Wendy posted on the facebook that she hoped he and Jethel would be crushed by rocks. And when he showed up with Door, I have been terrified.

He could still be crushed by rocks.

But I am feeling less afraid now.

Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 12:42 pm

I wonder why Wendy hates Jethel so much.
Back to top Go down
http://AmethystSadachbia.deviantART.com
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Maybe because he was Blair's creation and thus she is afraid of using him incorrectly? Blair did die a couple of years ago after all.

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Startear wrote:
Maybe because he was Blair's creation and thus she is afraid of using him incorrectly? Blair did die a couple of years ago after all.
I think she just gets really pissy over other people's characters and gets more pissed off when those characters have fans. 

I don't think Blair's death has anything do with it. I seem to recall her outright stating she hates Chot and Jethel.

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 pm

I think Shadowpath is right. She just doesn't like them because they are not hers.
I love Chot and I also hope he wont' die. Chot

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Chot is hers though? She created him.

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Startear wrote:
Chot is hers though? She created him.
That's what makes her ire really damn odd. Maybe she doesn't remember? Maybe it's because Blair used him more than she did and that somehow makes him 'not hers'?

Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 pm

One more Door question: Why are his eyes so narrow and slanted? It makes me think of early Winnowill's slightly Asian look.
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Shadowpath wrote:
That's what makes her ire really damn odd. Maybe she doesn't remember? Maybe it's because Blair used him more than she did and that somehow makes him 'not hers'?

Or because other writers used him in a way that went against her portrayal of him as a complete ****.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 am

Anduinel wrote:
Shadowpath wrote:

Or because other writers used him in a way that went against her portrayal of him as a complete ****.
There's also that!

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 am

It's really weird, I have an out of body experience when I read FQ but it's not a good kind of astral projection out of body experience. It's more of a , Wtf is this, kind of feeling.

Since the convo about 'reclaiming' characters and story lines is coming up, I just want to point out again this little thing with Moonshade and her moth fabrics. I mean, it's been hinted at that Ahnshen makes the outfits.... but what about this damn storyline? I feel Wendy is being super stubborn at addressing a really important detail about this guy being the original one who made her - in fact the one who pretty one seemed to invent moth fabric, even, for outfits, I think - her first moth fabric outfit. I realize the Wolfriders have a collectively derp memory, but I mean just show the guy? The entire arc of Moonshade's image now is being made iconic (by FQ standards) with it. Why not just tie it in?
Just seems a bit deliberately evasive about the whole thing, and kind of annoying. I thought it was an interesting little comic by itself. The artwork was alright, but the premise was really interesting. Why shut out the deeper parts of their dynamic? It was interesting. A cameo, at least? Anything? Just feels very, Hey, thanks for being a wrung on my ladder, excuse me while I step on your face...oh but Namaste!!!

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I think Ekolin suddenly going non-corporeal could be seen as a warning. Everyone else tried to make him welcome and offer healing, but it was too much too soon for him. If he'd been given time to adjust to sanity and living in the Palace at his own pace, it could have gone a lot better. But he wasn't given that time, or rather, he didn't realize he could take that time. Instead, he was overwhelmed, and went so far in the other direction that he essentially committed suicide.

I hope the Palace dwellers learn from this. Everyone needs to heal and adjust at their own pace. And it's true that sometimes they do need a nudge, or need to be slowed down. But Ekolin's death, and Winnowill's resistance, prove this kind of healing and lifestyle change can't be forced. Everyone has to come into it willingly.

Ekolin didn't need to die. That is, if Wendy did intend for the rest of the cast to take something from it, then it was necessary from a literary standpoint. But within the story, among the cast members who hoped Ekolin could live peacefully with them, and move past what Winnowill did to him, it didn't have to happen.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm

manga wrote:
One more Door question: Why are his eyes so narrow and slanted? It makes me think of early Winnowill's slightly Asian look.
Hm... Skywise also has rather narrow slanted eyes nowadays - much more than in the early days. I wonder if this has become a general pattern ... all of them seen edgier than in the early years. Less round in every respect.

Winnowill's full body shot when she's greeting the Wolfriders as a "High One" ... thoses eyes ... that expression. Asian! I wasn't aware of it but you are right, manga.

Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 6:35 pm

I forgot to say this, but... I really like Newstar's dress! I'm glad she is wearing something other than the see-through garments. Granted the people who make the preserversilk clothes seem to either be able to be shiny or solid (as Dodia's dress) now. But I personally don't like the see-through look.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 pm

I've always thought the gliders looked decidedly Asian-- ever since book 3. I think that must have been the intent. And Skywise's eyes have been slanted a long time. He had very slanted eyes in Book 2, even. I sort of like them that way. They are like his nose-- a distinct characteristic that helps him contrast with Cutter.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 5:02 am

I don't know... Are you familiar with Audrey Beardsley's work? I think the Glider's (and their aesthetics) look much more "Salome" than "Asian". Since he (and other Art Nouveau artists) were inspired by Japanese wood-prints, this would be kinda 'full circle', but the characters don't really look Asian to me. I think narrow and slanted eyes are supposed to look noble yet detached, which is why the Gliders are drawn this way (compared to the large and round cutesy eyes of the smaller elves).

Did Door technically die? He dissolved into air, maybe he could re-materialise if he wanted?

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm

I wouldn't say that's impossible, but the key words are "if he wanted." Ekolin was too overwhelmed to stay in his skin, and it has been said death (or dematerialization) might be a state we don't necessarily wanna come back from. Ekolin's probably more at peace than he has been in centuries. :-/

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Peace is good but how long before he gets bored?

I don't buy that Khavi would be content only able to observe the world around her. I just don't get how this is all supposed to work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #21   Final Quest #21 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #21
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next