Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lunakat

PostSubject: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 am

Did you guys see the new Elfquest.com page? Wendy and Richard obliterated the old forum and everything that was on it. Screw them.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 am

Any good will I had left for them just went out the window.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 am

Actually-- you can still read it here-- There's just no way to access it from the homepage:

http://elfquest.com/forums/discussions

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 am

This is the law of the web these days: Redesign for the sheer purpose of redesigning things.

Redesign everything. At least every 3 years. Throw out everything that has been (if it was good or not), make things totally new, use more Javascript and other non-sense technology, insert more things that nag users and that slow down browsers so people feel like using 56K lines, place more "social" network buttons. Break compatibility with everything.

Though I am not sure if W.a.R.P. are actually doing the website, iirc. that part was taken over by other people. Also the redbubble shop and what's in there isn't really much their doing anymore.

Nonetheless that redesign would not have been necessary.
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:52 am

I won my bet.

Back to top Go down
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/pcoquelin/library/?sort=3&pag
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am

They never really were that great at websites. This is probably better for their purposes. It's just as well someone else is doing it for them.

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm

*Goes to the front page*
Why on earth would you want that as the first thing some new poor fool sees when they find your site.
Cutter looks awful and like he just rolled out of garbage dump after drinking for 3 days and you can see particles or debris in the shading and colouring.

Uuurgh. 

'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Cutter isn't featured-- Ember is. The new main page is : Www.elfquest.com

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Your link guides me to this.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Maybe it's different on a computer than a phone. I'm seeing this:

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:55 pm

I agree that the final quest covers are not the best

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

@Lunakat wrote:
Maybe it's different on a computer than a phone. I'm seeing this:

Just checked my phone and that's what shows up too.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 pm

*sigh* ... as was expected

I had not enough hope in this arrangement to be disappointed. I'm too tired of this to be angry.
... still cares enough to be sad ...

Quote :
Actually-- you can still read it here-- There's just no way to access it from the homepage:

Anyone takes a bet how long this remnant will last? Sad

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm

@Embala wrote:
*sigh* ... as was expected

I had not enough hope in this arrangement to be disappointed. I'm too tired of this to be angry.
... still cares enough to be sad ...

Quote :

Anyone takes a bet how long this remnant will last? Sad
I'd bet it happens the next time one of the facebock followers don't praise enough.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Yeah- I just can't feel good about Richard Pini after that whole fiasco. It was such a lame and punitive and mean spirited backlash to take his anger over one conversation out on everybody. Like-- block me or block any of the people who irked him (even though he was just plain making bad arguments), but it was just plain shitty to throw an obvious temper tantrum like that and shut everything down for everyone. Who does that kind of thing? Way to alienate people who adamantly supported you when you, frankly, weren't at your most popular. I hope they're getting all the patting on the back they need now. I tried to check out the Facebook group for a while, but I just find it sort of mindless and trite.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

*hugs Luna tight* You know what I've told you again and again.

This "discussion" wasn't the reason, not even the trigger - it was a welcome cheap excuse for a decision that was made already.

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Yeah this is not surprising. I am glad we still have access to the old forums though, for a second there you had me worried that we didn't!
I did check out (again) that last heated interaction before the forums were completely removed. I think they were probably planning to do away with the forums entirely for a while maybe, and that conversation about Ruffel kind of sped up the process.

In general, it's a bit weird when the creators of any ongoing work are actively conversing with fans online. It can be wonderful but it can also get really sticky as well. I think a level of detachment is probably necessary because criticism is inevitable. But they didn't want the criticism, they just wanted the fans to only say nice things and no criticism at all. I sometimes pop in to look at the FB group and it feels very milquetoast and bland in its one-note perpetual cheerleading. Any subtle criticisms or more meaningful discussion about the work itself which don't include loud praise are either ignored, talked over, or pecked at to death until the poster goes away.

Hey, they can do it and they are. It just sometimes seems like the more the quality of FQ drops, the more deafening the applause is in reply. It's SO WEIRD.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 pm

I agree that the decision was already made. But the way they shut it down was really inconsiderate-- and atypical. Usually when there were changes made to the forum, notice was given ahead of time. This time, it was abrupt and with no warning. It left people no way to retrieve their work, to get contact information for folks they might have wanted to stay in touch with or anything else. And since that wasn't standard operating procedure-- I can only conclude it was a decision made in anger in reaction to that conversation. The timing was too close.

Yeah-- they delete anything they don't like or anything that veers "off topic" from the Facebook group. That's why the discussions are so bland.

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:20 pm

I remember when they did it and how sudden it was. I know people had been there for years and were very heavily invested - some warning would've been very appreciated, definitely. When they did the new format and made the announcement, I think Wendy said something along the lines of, It's time to clear away the old rubble, or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact phrase, but it was something that sort of alluded to the forums being just this deadweight. I know several people expressed hurt at the phrasing, it was like adding insult to injury *shakes head*.

Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:57 pm

I agree that it's best to have someone interact with the fans online, other than the creators. But this is just another example of why Elfquest will probably not become a feature film in its creator's lifetimes. (Maybe it will become a film after they die, shaped by whoever owns the property.)

Like any other commercial venture, Elfquest would be nothing if it weren't for its fanbase. Dealing with that fanbase means humility and open-mindedness.

For example, say you are a gay rights activist, back in the twentieth century. Your goal is to have equal rights for LGBT people, freedom from violence, and acceptance by the heterosexual public. When you attend parades and other events, there are others who are dressed in a flamboyant manner, and calling attention to themselves with speech and actions that are far from conservative. (I think the word was "flaming", before it became an Internet term.)

Do you condemn them publicly, or distance yourself from them? Or do you accept the fact that they are contributing to the promotion of a shared goal, in their own fashion?

The same could be said of a consumer product. There are people in the American South who put salted peanuts in a bottle of cola, or jelly on pancakes. If you are in the business of selling peanuts or jelly, should you ignore or condemn this practice? Or should you embrace it as a feature of Southern culture, and include it in your ads for that region?

As long as people are talking about Elfquest, it's good for the creators and good for the comic. Does it matter that we don't all agree on everything that's drawn or written?

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Sigh, here we go again.  I just wish Richard and Wendy would take a chill pill and let the fans control the discussion.  This current behavior is so juvenile and they should be well past that stage of throwing a temper tantrum.

Sadly it is the fans who lose out, not the creators.

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Why should, in this case, the creators win in the long run? FiQu is objectively not good. When only seeing the main page and maybe FB, any casual observer would see some weird creators and their weird fans fawning over a mediocre comic (with some weird new age message). That is bad for the creators.

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm

For about an hour I cannot reach the old Scroll of colors anymore. Sad (Trollbabe just confirmed that it's not a local issue.) Though ... I cannot reach elfquest.com in general either.

Tomorrow I'll know whether the Scroll of Coler is ultimately gone or if we'll get some more time. I hope it is just a general temporary problem to reach elfquest.com  ... just a usual glitch somewhere in the web. (I hope ... but it's hard not to believe the opposite ...)

Last edited by Embala on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Their whole approach toward marketing makes little sense to me. As far as I am concerned, this is the Scroll of Colors, and I appreciate those whose efforts have been put into it.

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum   Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you, Trollbabe. Hug

FTH is my online home. The place where I feel safe and cosy. I feel thankful for our High One and the Preservers (admins) who have built that place and protect it. I feel thankful for the members who are around - familiar tribe mates and newcomers. It's a place where I love to contribute. My new Scroll.

But the original Scroll of Colors ... for several years it was a magical enchanted world for me. A world that created Embala and made her grow. A place where I found friends. No matter how happy I'm here at FTH ... I'll always miss the original Scroll of Colors.

New Elfquest page totally eliminated the forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next