Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #23

Go down 
+24
Kojiyumi
wingthing
Outlier
ErinC1978
manga
Bluetree
September
Wisp
Josine
Shadowpath
Stargazer
thetrappedartist
Evil Evie
Lunakat
Vaeri
Miss Gillespie
Sifra
Multi-Facets
Redhead Ember
Anduinel
Zadzi
Elwing
Embala
jaRf
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I read that bit in the FAQ a bit differently -- that Recognition really does let two elves see each other's souls, but that it's made possible because all elves are subconsciously aware of the genetic makeup of all other elves they meet. And then, when two extremely genetically compatible elves meet, boom, Recognition happens. But it really does involve each of them becoming excruciatingly aware of each other's innermost selves.

This is the relevant FAQ entry, bolding mine:

ElfQuest FAQ wrote:
In simplest terms, Recognition is a primal, nearly irresistible mating urge between two elves. On a deep and subconscious level, even if they don’t or can’t “send”, all elves are telepathic. So every elf, unconsciously, knows every other elf’s innermost (genetic) makeup. When a female and a male get within range of each other (“eyes meet eyes”) and the mix of qualities is right for a cub that will benefit the tribe (or the entire elf race), an instinctual command to mate bursts powerfully into each elf’s awareness (“soul meets soul”). Instantly, each elf knows the entire secret inner self of the other. The urge is so strong that if it is denied, the afflicted pair will feel dire physical effects. Recognition is not love at first sight; love has nothing to do with it. In time, the Recognized couple may come to love each other (as Leetah and Cutter did), but there’s no guarantee.
Back to top Go down
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Something I wondered about in the FAQ was the lovemates/lifemates/soulmates distinction. It seems like there's a fair distance between "friends with benefits" and "sharing a life together," and we've seen elves who call each other "lovemates" seem far more attached than FWB would imply. Heck, Ahdri blew off the Palace for someone she calls lovemate! But maybe I'm being too literal, and if you're at the point of calling someone "lovemate" as a term of endearment, it's more than just a purely casual thing.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Been thinking this over, and the stuff Kimo says just before dying just really makes me wonder if Abode has some kind of nasty hivemind going on.

Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm

If so, it's a very confused hive-mind that mourns the death of Moonshade as a tragedy and the death of Kimo as ... not a loss at all.

So, clearly it values the immortal elves over the mortal ones.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 am

We see mourning over Kimo (not by his mother though, if I'm not mistaken)

Of course, you can't say you value -physical- life and then have death without meaning

If I were to write a fanfic, the immortal elves would be hive-minded, while the Wolfriders would be individuals (wolves might be social, but they are no borg).

Canon EQ has elements of hive-mindedness, but they aren't overtly strong. EQ immortals aren't 'one' all the time

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 am

Ah, I meant what Kimo said made me think he think there's some kind of hive mind for the Abode. The animals, not the elves. (Not entirely sure how to explain this?) His death doesn't matter to it and he's trying to tell the others they shouldn't care either.

That's just my thoughts.

I think both kinds of elves have some sort of hivemindedness, just different degrees. And I think the immortals can be individuals too.

Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am

I don't EQ elves are completely hive-minded, just a bit. Therefore all the immortals are individuals as well Smile

Sofia

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Embala wrote:
Welcome back, Sofia! Never too late to catch up. Hug *remembers me waiting for German issues back in the past*

I doubt there is an "official" retconning at all - less a list! All I remember is there's still Rule #1 ... and comments along the lines: "That's not important for Elves!" "That's just another thread  / different pov ..." Elves are not linear." or new: "Every rule will be broken."

I suggest you just tell what's puzzling you most, Sofia ... and we try to explain as far as we know. Or - how we put it together for ourselves.
Aaah, sorry I ignored this reply from you so long Embala!!! I completey missed it and I'm terrible at checking this forum Embarassed I don't think I'm really truly confused by anything in the comics, other than in the sense of "why did they choose to change this"-kind of confusion. But thank you for the offered help!

Anduinel wrote:
Embala wrote:
scratch Now this would totally count as a retcon, wouldn't it? A fairly unnecessary one ... and not enlightening either.

And one that retroactively undercuts some of the more dramatic Recognition stories, imo.

Ever since I read the the Elfquest prose stories, I've headcanoned that Recognition was a broken mechanism. Take a group of traumatized, self-shaping psychics who have pretty much forgotten how do deal with the most basic needs of biology, dump them into the rawest conditions possible, add some alien blood to the mix, and Recognition is the mechanism you get out of it. It's not natural, which is why it's such crap when it comes to keeping numbers up; it's a messy biological jury-rig and, like Timmain's sacrifice, is a desperate stab at survival, if an unconscious one. It doesn't take any particular care for the needs or suitability of the individual, it's not great for maintaining a sustainable population (and never well be; even thousands of years later, Rain knows that they need more than Recognition to keep the tribe's numbers up), but it got the ball rolling on forgotten concepts like sex and childbirth. It's one more remnant of the High Ones' trauma, and the various tribes have had to come up with their own ways of coping, either romanticizing it ("soul meets soul when eyes meet eyes"), treating it as inevitable ("no one can refuse Recognition"), or, as with the Go-Backs, living in a manner than makes it almost irrelevant.
Ooooh, I really like this definition of Recognition, Anduinel - thank you so  much for sharing!

And I hadn't heard that about the Pini's view of current ElfQuest, Vaeri - I agree with BlueCoyote: why continue a story that you no longer feel comfortable with? There's is a looooot of backstory to retcon here. Making such big retcons for what's supposed to be a "final episode" feels so...counter-productive?
Back to top Go down
http://lostholt.eu5.net/
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm

No worries, Sofia! Smile I don't feel ignored and I know too well how hard it can be to split attention between real life needs and more than one forum / online community. Glad to read your Holt is still running ... even if it's more slow motion at times. ^^

Quote :
I don't think I'm really truly confused by anything in the comics, other than in the sense of "why did they choose to change this"-kind of confusion.
This sounds SO familiar!

Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Sofia

Sofia

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Puh, that's a relief! I really hate it when I forget to log in to places for a long time and miss replying to people.

Lost Holt has pretty much always been "bursts of activity, long times of inactivity" since we don't have any participation demands (which goes for my other holt Beacon Call too). I get that many people prefer the fast paced holts, but this works better for us who still want to rp but whose real-life-situation won't allow for daily or even weekly posting most of the year Smile So we'll likely stick around for a long time yet~!

And now I shall stop reviving this kinda old thread XD
Back to top Go down
http://lostholt.eu5.net/
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 7:26 pm

When it sits it fits. cat Or in case of your Holt - when it works for the members it is a good thing! Very Happy

Have I good time and look in again, Sofia. I just love when you revive kinda old threads. ^^ I love you

Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #23   Final Quest #23 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #23
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5