Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? Empty
PostSubject: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 pm

According to Wendy's explanation, the scrolls show myriad version of what was, is and will be, also one can't "google" the scrolls and they show whatever they want to show you. Like with those jelly beans in Harry Potter, you never know what you will get.

Ignoring the fact that Timmain used the scrolls to show the history of the coneheads in OQ -maybe one can use the scrolls to visualise one's own memory*- what actual use do the scrolls have?

• When Winnowill got her hands on the scrolls, the elves were afraid that she would learn how to read them and therefore know all their moves. But this apparently was never an issue

If the scrolls show you a bit of history ("who murdered JFK?"), you can't be sure it shows the real events, since it could be a what if story.
Well, I would even dispute that one can 'get pieces of wisdom' from its coloured threats: what if stories by the scrolls have no more educational merit than made up stories by Pike.

Your thoughts?

*otherwise Timmain was extremely lucky, that the scrolls showed what she wanted to show, an issue she should've been aware of!

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 2:06 pm

In my verse, the scrolls show historical events, they don't have a mystical 'cooo maybe I will show you what you want to see maybe not I'm whimsical'-nature.

Otherwise, they're an interface for controlling the Palace with a very weird design.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Their purpose is just that[i]. Showing everything that [i]has happened, everything that will happen, everything that might have have happened, everything that could happen. The trick is of course figuring out which is which.
And the Wolfriders didn't really know that Winnowill couldn't just look up whatever she wanted, so for them the concern was real enough.

As for Timmain using the Scrolls to show the story, maybe you can only do that with events you actually remeber?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Quote :
As for Timmain using the Scrolls to show the story, maybe you can only do that with events you actually remeber?
I like this thought, Redhead. A memory enhanced by the Scroll - the echo of a memory called up and replayed. An event that happened on the "current thread", not a made up theater play.

Of course this is contradicted by Rayek calling up the "mythological" story of the High Ones around the Circle of Nine. O.O ... too many threads ... in the SoC and in the comics.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 pm

When did he do that?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 3:18 pm

In the Rogue's Challenge hardcover comic book.

It holds the stories Daugher's Day, How shall I keep from singing? (part 1 and 2), The Enemy's Face and Rogue's Challenge (HY #9.5). Mrs. Pini has drawn bridging pages to connect the different the different stories by a narrative framework.

Between the first two are page 1 and page 2 which show how Rayek displays the story of the Firstcomers to an audiance.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm

@Embala: It's not said, that Rayek explicitly conjured up this thread.

If the scrolls can indeed be used as "memory visualisers", isn't that still useless for creatures that can send? Also, apparently it is very difficult to read the scrolls (Wendy's words), so when telling her story, Timmanin sending to the Go Backs would've probably more effective. (Go Backs can send, even if not well and only rarely, reading the scrolls should be over their heads)

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Point taken, Miss Gillespie. It would have worked as a bridge to any other ancient event.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 6:48 am

I think Timmain Suntop speaking was actually what told the story. The Scrolls were just a nice form of illustrations.

And about Winnowill:

Rayek wrote:
The scroll records past, present and future! If she can decipher it, she can track anyone, me, you- maybe even Ember!

The issue isn't Winnowill purposely bringing up events in the Scrolls, it's her making sense of whatever she reads in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?   The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Scrolls of Colors: Do they have purpose?
Page 1 of 1