HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Howls and Hunts!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Howls and Hunts!   Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Ayyooahh y'all! <------*blames Scarlettdoll from the old forums for saying that Razz ))

I just wanted to put this up for anyone who has suggestions or ideas or whatnot to the site. They are always welcomed!

For example, is the set up user friendly enough? Are you able to find things easily? Is the format easy readable, stuff like that What a Face

So please let me know... I'm pretty good at working the Admin Panel cuz I got smart back up people who help me *coughNibbletandShamancoughcough*
lol!
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Okay, I would like to bring up something I noticed when I first came here. I feel hesitant to complain about something you poured your heart and soul in, but- I must add that this turned me away from this place the first time I visited it.

As I understand it this forum was modeled on the old SOC forum, before it was overhauled. And I presume that the sections and subsections mirror the sections of that forum. Which I have never known, so I can't compare it, and I have no opinion about it.

All I know is that I arrived here, and I started to click around to see what was going on in this place. I noticed that there are quite a few sections, and these have quite a few subsections, and these again have subsections...It's a lot to take in, and very easy to get lost in. There are too many levels, and what is worse, many of these subsections have maybe one or no topics in them.

I clicked around a bit and got confused, and came to the conclusion that somebody had made incredible effort in setting up this forum, but that hardly anyone was using it. And then I left disappointed and searched on for a different place.

There was life, of course, but I missed it between all the empty subsections. Because I'm a dumb n00b, and I didn't know why it came to be this way.

I feel kind of bad about this, especially since so much work was put into it. But I can only suggest you merge all these little used subsections into larger categories. There are simply too many of them, there are too many levels, and there is no content to fill all these sections. There is content, but part of it is spread out and some of it is concentrated in a few hot spots. It takes me a lot of effort to find content that is relevant to me, I really have to search for it.

Also, if I go back to the main page when I first arrived here, there was something that confused me: there is a "welcome" section, and a "first steps" section. Why are these two different things? A newbie should have one clear place to go to for all information!

So there is my opinion. I think this forum needs to be pruned. I hope you don't mind me saying this, and also, I would be happy to help, of course.

Also, thank you for making it! It saved my week
Smile
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Hey Elwing!

I actually agree with a lot of what you just said. There are a whole slew of categories of topics that have no discussions attached to them- and we probably could consolidate to make browsing around here less time consuming and more interesting. I'll ask Kin if she would mind me helping her out with that.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we just didn't have that many people before. But maybe now we can fill this forum out.

But yes, you are right- as great as it is (and it is so, so great that Kin set this up- who would have guessed, right?), the place could use a little fine tuning. So, patience, and I'll see if she wants me to help her out with it. I think she's having some computer issues right now, so she probably can't address this right away.

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Yes. It's things like- "Problems? Glitches?"->"Help! Pixies and Troll Problems!"->content.

There is just an extra click in there that serves no purpose but does make things more complicated?
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Not trying to knock anything anywhere, just wanted to tell my experience setting up a Forumotion forum: It's not intuitive at the forum/subforum level. It makes you think it's going into one level, but it ends up one level farther down... then trying to move the threads and levels around gets messy as you try to regenerate a label that's already there..... I'm a noob at it of course, but it's not as WYSIWYG as it could be.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

First, allow me to say this...

PLEASE do not feel the need to apologize, or feel bad/guilty for ever expressing your opinion, or suggestions, or ideas for the site. It's greatly appreciated, because I've been extremely worried that tribemates here would feel too afraid to speak up due to past experiences elsewhere.

I hope everyone knows that they can speak up, and speak of their opinions and suggestions to me.

Always.

I'm very easy to approach and talk to so long as I'm not getting yelled at, or one is being outright rude to me, which I know no one here would be that way anyway Wink

Secondly, The catagory set up was indeed a concern of mine, which is one of the reasons I started this thread. I just never knew for certain if my concerns that it was confusing was justified unless someone told me.  So thank you all for your valuable input thus far.

I first made this site 2 years ago in a complete rush simply so memebers would have the means to IM again, since the IM at the Scrolls was shut down and never brought back. People liked it. People missed it. So I initially made this site so members could use the chatbox as a means to IM with each other again.  So I just threw up a basic set up so members could begin to use it and have somewhere to post if they wished.

So I completely agree a little pruning is in order Wink

Seeing as Father Tree has so many new faces (and familiar ones as well), I am more than happy to make any accommodations possible so the holt can be more enjoyable and user friendly for everyone. So long as the Admin Panel makes it possible, I'll do my best to make any adjustment

Also, the roleplaying section at the bottom is optional. If one wishes to participate, feel free (there are some submission rules that apply Smile ). If not, that's fine too.  It's just there as an added little bonus for those who enjoy doing it

I'm going to work on the category set up now. It may cause some glitching, so please don't panic! Once I think I've got it, I'd appreciate the feedback to let me know if it's easier to use for everyone

And one last reminder.

Whatever you had posted in the Scrolls, it is welcomed here. Whether it's everyday discussions, EQ discussions, non-EQ (other comics) discussions, artwork, stories, and YES the dolls too! ARE welcome. I know it's not THE Scroll of Colors here, but feel free to make it feel like it is

Love, Shade, and Sweet Water
Kindredsoul

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 am

Okay, I've worked on things for quite a few hours, but I'm not done yet. It's 1 in the morning here and my left eyeball popped out like an hour ago, so I need to go find where it rolled off to Laughing

But I do have the category set up changed, so PLEASE tell me if this works better for everyone, or not

As for the "Welcome" part and the "The First Steps" part.. I had them separate because one is specifically for rules and how to navigate the site, where the second one is for members to specifically give a bio of themselves if they wish, like they could at the Scrolls.

The other reason I had it set up that way is, due to forum experience and running them in the past, most people tend to over look "Sticky" threads and what not, where they tend to notice the important factors they *should* read if it's in a section of its own. We can always change this if people still think there's no need for both Wink

Also... I'm going to leave the roleplay section as is to keep the location sections in one neat little place since it's optional to participate

I know there's several topics not listed as there was with the Scrolls (for now).... for example: The Comics Discussion section will hold all the discussions of all the EQ stories, rather than having each and every one of the titles listed. Now what I'll do in the future is... if it gets to the point where there are several threads, then we can always categorize them later. But as it is, there's not much discussion except with FQ to make so many sections devoted to each and every EQ published story

Additional sections can always be added if I forgot any!

Let me know if this still seems confusing even with the new set up Wink

I did plan on adding more pictures for the sections. It just seems to break up the mundane "list" appearance, but that's just me. Hope that's ok too.

I didn't forget the emoticons! I'll get to them some time tomorrow... I'm just really tired and need to get to bed for work Very Happy

Add any input! Thank you!

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 am

It seems that the forum has become much "flatter" so to speak, and I like it! Thank you for all the effort you put into this!
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 pm

cheers

awesomepossum! Wink

and again, anyone's input is greatly appreciated Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Looks great so far, Kin. Smile It's indeed easier to handle now.

And I'm with you when it comes top the pictures. For me it's an enrichment rather than a disturbance. I like your Elfquesty choices!

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Looks good, so far. Just three remarks :

. The three "member's information" windows to the left seem to waste a LOT of space for... very little use - could they be, well, suppressed ?

. The vertically scrolling "last topics" on the right is GREAT, but not very spacy, meaning one has to wait for looooooong to find "latest" topics - is there any way to ENLARGE it ?

. One has to be specifically logged to get to the chat system - could it be automatically ON and enlarged, as well ?

Last edited by PCoquelin on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/pcoquelin/library/?sort=3&pag
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 pm

@PCoquelin wrote:
Looks good, so far. Just three remarks :

. The three "member's information" windows to the left seem to waste a LOT of space for... very little use - could they be, well, suppressed ?

We currently have this being discussed/voted on actually  Wink

http://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t103-member-information-windows

So far those who have posted have opted to suppress them and just go with the signature feature. I'm in support of it too, so if no one minds, then we'll most likely go with that option in the next couple of days  Very Happy

@PCoquelin wrote:
. The vertically scrolling "last topics" on the right is GREAT, but not very spacy, meaning one has to wait for looooooong to find "latest" topics - is there any way to ENLARGE it ?

I'll definitely look into this. Off the top of my head, I DO know that I can add the amount of threads that appear in the scroll box, but I'm unsure if I can make the box longer. I'll check into this tonight and get back to you on this ^_^

@PCoquelin wrote:
. One has to be specifically logged to get to the chat system - could it be automatically ON and enlarged, as well ?

This is one of the reasons I prefer forumotion sites over proboards. The fact that one has to be logged in to use the chat box prevents spammers and trolls 100% It keeps "unwanted" guests from reading the conversations or participating in them. It's a safety feature I've always found to be convenient, so sorry to say, yes, one has to be logged on in order to use it.

Now if someone doesn't want to appear logged on to the site, one can always go to their profile and set their presence as "Hidden", but that doesn't hide someone from being seen in the chatbox either.

As for making it bigger, I'll check into that as well, but I honestly don't think that's possible, except for changing one's own monitor settings.

Thank you again for the input and I'll see what I can do!
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 pm

@Kindredsoul wrote:
cheers

awesomepossum! Wink

I just realised that the Exclamation emote isn't a wiggly butt. It's only taken me a decade

Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:13 pm

@Kindredsoul wrote:

@PCoquelin wrote:

As for making it bigger, I'll check into that as well, but I honestly don't think that's possible, except for changing one's own monitor settings.

Thank you again for the input and I'll see what I can do!

There are two ways you can expand it to suit your personal tastes without changing it for the whole site.
Firstly, you can click on the word "chatbox" and it will pop out into a new window. Secondly, you can click and drag the diagonal lines in the bottom corner to expand the window to however big you want it.

Hope this helps ^.^

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:15 pm

@Nibblet wrote:
@Kindredsoul wrote:
cheers

awesomepossum! Wink

I just realised that the Exclamation emote isn't a wiggly butt. It's only taken me a decade

I laughed so hard I pee'd What a Face

Also, I edited the topic scroll box! Made it longer and added the amount of topics. Let me know if that's better!

*hugs* And thank you Nibblet!!
Back to top Go down
G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 pm

What I like about this site is that it so much easier to read. Many know I have only one remaining eye (left one) and it don't work to well. With a small change on the computer and new reading glasses I can read with ease. Now if I can get the idiots at my job site to fix things so well. Then all in the world will be well.

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:50 am

I'm glad it works for you Embala Very Happy

Aaaannnnnd okay I think we have the checklist done thus far?

Format has been changed (yep).

Added groovy section pictures (yep)

Thread scroll bar elongated (yep)

Chatbox sizing explained (yep)

Bio boxes removed (still giving members time to input, but it looks to be a go thus far)

hmmmmm what else....

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  THESE!!

:cutter:  Bearclaw  Joyleaf  Dewshine  Preserver  Nightfall  :skywise:  Winnowill  Moonshade  Sending  Sending 2  Two-Edge  Treestump  Clearbrook  Madcoil  Trinket  :leetah:  Suntop Uncomfortable  Ember  Rayek  Rainsong  Tier Crying  Tier Happy  Shenshen Upset  :cuttermad:  :cutterglasses:  :tyleet:  Drinking  Picknose  Savah  Venka  Scouter  Yun  Chot  Toorah

The rest are still being added as we speak Wink

I need to send a HUGE shout out to Nibblet for helping me figure out a way to simplify the format and helping with the images!!

AND

A HUGE shout out to Wiseshaman for installing the emoticons!!

AGAIN, feel free to let me know about anything else anyone would like to suggest for Father Tree!  I love you  I love you  I love you  It never hurts to ask!  I love you

*konks out and Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep *
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:58 am

Oh wait... I forgot to say where they are Shocked

Ok, in the emoticon box, click "View more emoticons" and choose "Smilies 2"

You'll find them all there. Shaman will finish the rest tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:07 am

How how cool!!!! Laughing :cutterglasses:

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:16 am

Yays! Drinking
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:21 am

Enjoy!

Zwoot <------hilarious

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 am

@Nibblet wrote:

LOL! And I'm with PCoquelin. Though it is a shame that the 3 white windows would have to be switched off for everyone. I don't like them very much, but I can imagine that there are users out there who quite like them. Maybe we should do a poll on keeping them or not?
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:04 am

Thank you, Kin ! It's far easier now to see the latest topics and reach them.

Back to top Go down
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/pcoquelin/library/?sort=3&pag
Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Arg and of course we made all the emotes with a white background. Where is bawling Leetah? I need bawling Leetah!

Thanks for all the excellent work guys!

I think this one is missing too

and also

Stunned Pike is a little iffy

and there's Kimo

and scary hungry wolf

And Blackfell

And gool ol' Tyldak

Rob's Winnie isn't on the list either

Skot

And Leanan did the cutest Zhantee

Nona and Adar seem to be missing for some reason. Karma?

Angelic Ekuar to go with Demonic Rayek

'Leanan's Rainsong
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

I think that's about all? At least I think these are the ones I made
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

PostSubject: Re: Howls and Hunts!   Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:25 pm

Morning fellow EQ maniacs...

I've uploaded pretty much all of the smilies/icons from the Scroll. I did skip a few that seemed out of place here but if people want them I can add those to the system.

And yes Miss Elwing I added Leetah crying sooooo...try all the icons out, take a look, and let me know if I need to fix something...

Oh, yeah, I didn't add Adar or Nonna...I'll add them only if certain individuals sign up and request both to be added...I'm sure neither will...

:redlance:

Howls and Hunts!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next