Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

June 2020 Grab Bag

Go down 
+2
Redhead Ember
Kindredsoul
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyMon Jun 01, 2020 11:14 pm

June 2020 Grab Bag has arrived!

Stories, poetry, artwork, whatever your talent to share - must be ElfQuest themed - and may contain canon ElfQuest characters (Cutter, Leetah, Skywise, etc) or custom characters of your own (as long as it's in the "ElfQuest" universe).

Your submissions should include at least one of these things (for art), and at least 3 of the 5 for stories (but let's see you use all five!)

Stories can be as long as you want them to be.

The items for this month's grab bag are:

Rainbow
Snake
Waiting
Bitter
(This can be someone being bitter about something, or the bitter taste of a food or drink, or whatever.)
Recovery

Carry on and have fun!
June 2020 Grab Bag Giphy

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 5:59 am

Right, business as usual (at least since we restarted the Grab Bags); one specific storyline, one theme per line in the poem.

Snakes Awaken

They had to wait in the camp for a while,
to give chief’s mate a chance to recover.
But then snakes awoke
became a cause of bitter grief,
when Rainbow lost her lifemate.

Right, I guess you could argue that I cheated a little bit, but I figured that the theme wasn't atually a rainbow, but just rainbow, which could refer to the character.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 2:38 pm

PERFECT! Like

And now, Redhead - ... guess what a banner collage I had in mind when I've added "snake" to "Rainbow"? XD

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

YAY, June 2020 Grab Bag with Mermay! Prompt for the 31th was "Rainbow" on DA. Welcome to the Rainbow Reef all yer fishies! this is a colourful co-production of my daughter Luna and me (she made the background with Stockmar- watercolours in the Waldorf school). Youth Ortega is boasting that he was the hero to find this beautiful resting place for the wandering Sea elf pod. But Moonlight won`t agree with that.
June 2020 Grab Bag Mermay54
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 pm

This story took on a whole new direction... it's true I never plan what's next because I don't know what the elements will be... but this is clearly, my heart breaking because of the current state of the world. For any of you who even bother reading my stories, I hope you enjoy and understand the message.
#BlackLivesMatter #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd #JusticeForEveryBlackHumanInThisEffedUpWorld

Elements:
Rainbow
Snake
Waiting
Bitter (This can be someone being bitter about something, or the bitter taste of a food or drink, or whatever.)
Recovery

Stonehowl’s extensive history recap for all the previous grab bags can be found here:
http://www.tawmis.com/stonehowl/stonehowlrecap.html

Stream, her red hair flowing in the gentle ocean breeze, like a small, flickering campfire, looked out into the ocean. A storm brewed and thunder cracked the sky. But her soft, green eyes could see something else. “What did you people believe those things are?” She pointed out towards a clearing in the storm.

Buren, a human, and Stream’s lover, and father to their half-elf child, Stonecutter, smiled. He’d come from a band of humans that thrived on marauding and killing, but Buren never wanted to be like his father who was the chief of the Frostsail Clan. He could still taste the bitter feeling of being a part of the Frostsail Clan and their murderous ways.

He looked at what she was pointing at and saw the many colors spilled across the sky in an arch. “We’ve always called it the Sky Serpent,” he said. “My father’s people,” Buren said, no longer associating himself with his ‘family’ because of their sheer hatred of anything and everything different, “believed it was the passage of souls to the heavens that rise up – get judged by their gods – then, if worthy, come back down to the world to be reborn.”

Stream shivered. Buren looked at her. “Are you all right?”

“It just reminds me of what we called ‘the serpent with rainbow scales’,” Stream mentioned. “It had been a giant snake like creature. It killed my parents.” (She’s not lying! Look all the way back at December 2008 - http://www.tawmis.com/stonehowl/dec2008.html).

Buren pulled her close, waiting for her shivering to stop. He kissed her gently on the head, “We can go if you want.”

“No,” she whispered, feeling safe in his arms. “Your people,” she turned to face him. “Did they follow a god named Grethen? That’s who the humans that had originally lived close to us worshipped. That god preached hatred for my kind – calling us demon spawn.”

“No,” Buren shook his head. “My father’s people follow a number of different gods. There’s one for rain, thunder, the sun, the moon, and many others.”

“Do all of these gods exist out there,” she looked to the stars and the cosmos beyond. “Similar to where the High Ones had come from?”

“I don’t know,” Buren mentioned. He’d never met or seen a High One, but he’d heard the many stories while being a part of the Stonehowl Tribe.

“I wish we could all put these differences aside,” Stream said. “My whole life, since I’ve been born with magic, I’ve tried to heal all of those who have been wounded. But some wounds,” she looked distant for a moment, thinking of an elf named Blackstar who had pushed one of their own kind from a high tree, to their death (once again, she’s not lying – see: http://www.tawmis.com/stonehowl/feb2008.html) ; before recovering her composure. “Some have so much hate in their heart. Whether it’s because we look different,” she touched her ears, “or our skin color is different, or we believe in different gods. These are things I can not heal, but desperately wish I could. I wish I could kill the hate that burns in the heart of so many.”

Buren held her close, “I understand. And perhaps we can begin to make a difference since you and I have come together, as a sign.”

“Perhaps,” Stream whispered.

• Shadow (Male Soul Name: Tyru) – Black Hair, Tanned, Green Eyes (Elder brother to Purespring, Chief)
• Foxhair (Female Soul Name: Loun) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Hunter)
• Snowspring (Female, Soul Name: Tylo – Black Hair, Green Eyes) – Nine years old. Daughter of Shadow and Foxhair.
• Spearclaw (Male, Soul name: Lren) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Scout) – Former lovemate of Stillbreeze (and Vineweaver), now lovemate of Windfetcher
• Vineweaver (Male Soul Name: Reyk) – Auburn Hair, Blue Eyes (Tree shaper, Soul Mate of Stillbreeze, Plant Shaper)
• Stillbreeze (Female Soul Name: Hewl) – Brown Hair, Brown Eyes (Soul Mate of Vineweaver, Tanner)
• Echo (Male Soul Name: Ayav) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver, Magic)- About eighteen years old.
• Windfetcher (Female Soul Name: Burm) – Auburn Hair, Brown Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver) – About eighteen years old, formerly interested in being the next chief, now the lovemate of Spearclaw
• Snowcloud (Female, Soul Name: Mill) – White Hair, Green Eyes (based off white lions)
• Stream (Female Soul Name: Vree) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Healer)
• Buren (Human, Brown hair, hazel eyes) – About 20 years old in human years
• Stonecutter (half elf/half human, son of Stream and Buren – brown hair, green eyes) – About two years old

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 5:11 am

Embala wrote:
PERFECT! Like

And now, Redhead - ... guess what a banner collage I had in mind when I've added "snake" to "Rainbow"? XD

That particular story?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 5:19 am

Ah, Tymber, there are pirates again, yes? Those human parents tribe, and they seen to show all the ugly side of pirates.

Tymber

Tymber

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyMon Jun 08, 2020 2:37 am

Yeee wrote:
Ah, Tymber, there are pirates again, yes? Those human parents  tribe, and they seen to show all the ugly side of pirates.

Thank you, Yeee, for taking the time to read and comment. Not sure why there's no heart emoji, but there should be one.

As for Buren's parents, though they only appeared in two or so stories in total (and only his father, who was the "Chief") - I envisioned them more along the lines of Vikings, rather than pirates. They're more cruel, more vicious, more likely to murder and kill anything that isn't from their tribe - where as pirates, while also many were murderers, Hollywood has "romanticized" them quite a bit. I tried to further paint the picture, describing that they come from a cold northland.

While I never plan where my stories will go or have any idea what will come next, I've enjoyed the idea of Buren fighting everything he was raised to be. But the last few stories, since returning here to Father Tree Holt, have strangely centered on him and Stream - who, before my departure from here eons ago, were just background characters. So it's been interesting giving them some life these last few times.

And with this one, I tried to show, how a human and elf came together, had a child that's different than any seen before (possessing features both human and elf) - and how they're all embraced by the tribe - something I wish our own world could do - embrace everyone, despite their differences, their beliefs, and their appearances.

Thank you again, seriously, for taking the time and read and comment.

Yeee wrote:
YAY, June 2020 Grab Bag with Mermay! Prompt for the 31th was "Rainbow" on DA. Welcome to the Rainbow Reef all yer fishies!  this is a colourful co-production of my daughter Luna and me (she made the background with Stockmar- watercolours in the Waldorf school). Youth Ortega is boasting that he was the hero to find this beautiful resting place for the wandering Sea elf pod. But Moonlight won`t agree with that.
June 2020 Grab Bag Mermay54

I've mentioned it before, probably last month - that you're very talented at drawing elves. You bare a resemblance to Wendy's style, but also maintain your own (like again, in this one, with the cute little silly face with the one sticking out their tongue). This is twice now that you've really captured that cute, heart warming silliness, with such perfection. And please tell your daughter, Luna (a wonderful name!), that her colors brought extra life to this piece and she's amazing!

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyTue Jun 09, 2020 6:45 am

Thank you so much for the compliments. I told Luna, it made her happy: Yaaay! she called.
The cute little silly face is Lunas OC Moonlight. She just can`t stand Ortega (guy on the left) boasting around Laughing .
Back to top Go down
Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 pm

Content warning: crude dental surgery, mild mentions of blood, a terminal case of unresolved romantic tension.

She turned from the boiling vat of preserver silk and saw Voll ducking through the door of the lodge, his eye blackened and his clothes begrimed, and she felt the bite of fear for a moment before he smiled and exchanged some chaff with one of the Go-Backs guarding the door. Bruised, but largely unharmed it seemed.

Voll picked his way around the living chaos of the lodge, stepping over grubby children and patting Aroree's shoulder in passing. He was making his way to her, Winnowill realized, and she turned away to keep from watching him anymore, looking into the pot of iridescent silk she tended as though she might find her dignity there.

~*Warm light to you, Winnowill.*~

His sending voice was very soft, almost imperceptible even though he stood but an arm's length from her; Winnowill realized he was being gentle with her, trying not to intrude, and she was not sure if she was irritated or grateful. She agitated the silk to buy herself some time to compose herself and turned to face him

"Do you need something, Voll?"

Voll nodded, strangely prim under the filth of working his patrol, and then raised his hand to his mouth and spat something into it. Winnowill stared at him in bemusement, then at his hand, and saw that he was holding one of his own teeth out to her.

"Ah. Did you allow a troll to knock you in the head again?" she asked, before she could help herself. She took Voll by the shoulder and steered him to a seat by the hearth before putting a smaller pot of water on to boil. Voll pulled an affronted face, then leaned over and daintily spat blood in to the fire. Her mouth twitched, and she busied herself with cleaning her hands.

"I hardly allowed him to do anything. It was an ambush." he said. Winnowill tossed a handful of willow bark into the boiling water and tried very hard not to think of him fighting. When the tea was ready she had him rinse his mouth out with half, then drink the rest. He grimaced at the bitterness of the tea but drank it down in one go; she watched his throat work as he swallowed and took a deliberate breath in. She plucked the tooth from his palm by the crown and then took his chin in hand, tilting his head up to look at her.

His eyes were the soft, hazy blue of spring skies, and he smiled at her.

"Open, as wide as you can." she said, willing her voice to be even and cool. Behind them she heard a knot of Go-Backs snicker.

"I'd open up for you any day, Black Snake, you just say the word!" one of the warriors called, and Winnowill grasped for her patience with both hands. Voll's glanced over at the warrior who had called out to her and narrowed his eyes.

"Pay them no mind. Open, I said."

He obeyed, wonderfully biddable under her hand, and sat in total vulnerability and total trust. Winnowill felt a little light-headed, and wondered for a moment what would happen if she sank a hand into his hair and pulled.

The tooth. It was one of the grinding teeth, situated far back in the mouth, but by some miracle the roots were not broken. Winnowill found the bloodied space it had occupied and gently pressed the roots back into the tender gum. Voll flinched a little at the sensation but did not bite down on her fingers, and Winnowill quickly checked the rest of his mouth for injuries. There was an ugly laceration on the inside of his cheek where he had presumably been hit, but the rest of the teeth seemed to be sound.

"That should hold until Leetah can see to it. You shall recover." Winnowill said at last, withdrawing her fingers and reluctantly letting go of his chin. Voll gingerly touched his cheek where the blow had fallen and she had the urge to slap his hand away. She instead washed the blood and saliva from her hands and turned her attention back to the preserver silk. It was nearly ready for the drying racks, she thought, though it was hard to tell sometimes.

Voll did not get up to find Leetah. Instead he shook the melting snow from his long hair and settled in to watch her work, warming his hands at the fire. It might have been any evening before Blue Mountain.

"What have you done today?" he asked, peering into the vat as she lifted out a length of dripping silk.

"The same as I have done since we were dragged to this shack: boil silk for bandages, keep the fools alive, and wait hopefully for that wretched degenerate to get herself killed."

"That is no way to speak of an ally, Winnowill." Voll said, frowning at her.

~*You dislike her also.*~ she sent, testing the stickiness of the silk and letting it sink down again.

~*Kahvi and I need not agree on all things to agree that we must retake our home.*~

"As you say, my Lord."

"Ah. 'My Lord' again, is it?"

He stood up and looked down at her, his good humor fled, suddenly an exhausted elder again. He raked his hand through his hair and sighed.

"I think I shall find Leetah now. Thank you."

"You should have sought her from the first; she is the only proper healer left." Winnowill spat, and the words were like poison in her mouth. Voll canted his head to the side and looked at her, carefully weighting his words.

~*Perhaps. But she is not you.*~

He left her there by the fire, with Go-Backs whistling and jeering and her face aflame, and she would storm the troll kingdom by herself if it meant she could get away from this thrice-cursed place.

This is a scene from the next chapter of The Lefthand Path, where Winnowill is trying her damnedest to figure out who and what she is without her healing power. It's been the one thing that has defined and redefined her as a person for 10,000 years and now that Leetah has locked it up...who is she? What is her purpose?

The Go-Backs are all delighted with the free entertainment Voll and Winnowill are providing them when everyone isn't battling trolls. Half want them to get together while the other half want to give them knives and let them stab it out. (Everyone agrees Winnowill would absolutely kill Voll.)

Last edited by Arill3.0 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 3:48 pm

I particularly liked this...

Arill3.0 wrote:

"Ah. Did you allow a troll to knock you in the head again?" she asked, before she could help herself. She took Voll by the shoulder and steered him to a seat by the hearth before putting a smaller pot of water on to boil. Voll pulled an affronted face, then leaned over and daintily spat blood in to the fire. Her mouth twitched, and she busied herself with cleaning her hands.

"I hardly allowed him to do anything. Besides, I settled the score rather neatly, I thought." he said. Winnowill tossed a handful of willow bark into the boiling water and tried very hard not to think of him fighting. When the tea was ready she had him rinse his mouth out with half, then drink the rest. He grimaced at the bitterness of the tea but drank it down in one go; she watched his throat work as he swallowed and took a deliberate breath in. She plucked the tooth from his palm by the crown and then took his chin in hand, tilting his head up to look at her.

I am assuming this is an alternate reality ElfQuest story? As we saw Voll, perish originally?

Is there more to this (where I can read it)? Or a quick summary of the split of the canon ElfQuest to this one (if that's quicker)?

Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Thank you! I'm hoping it wasn't too out of character for them...but then again, we are introduced to the characters in the midst of their estrangement in Canon, so who knows whether or not some sarcasm is out of character for them?

Yes, this is an alternate timeline. The first two chapters can be found in the threat The Lefthand Path (https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t1024-the-lefthand-way-updated-7-13-20). Essentially, the point of diversion is that Aroree followed the Worlfriders in their rescue of Suntop, and helped Leetah reach Winnowill to complete her healing. Winnowill is left with her powers safely buried and her mind reoriented (not "fixing" her, but making her recognize that what she is doing cannot continue). Winnowill follows Voll north in an attempt to protect him, and manages to keep him from getting killed by the trolls. Basically, it's me deconstructing all of my healed!Winnowill, alive!Voll fan stories from my youth lol.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Arill3.0 wrote:
Thank you! I'm hoping it wasn't too out of character for them...but then again, we are introduced to the characters in the midst of their estrangement in Canon, so who knows whether or not some sarcasm is out of character for them?

Yes, this is an alternate timeline. The first two chapters can be found in the threat The Lefthand Path (https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t1024-the-lefthand-way-updated-7-13-20). Essentially, the point of diversion is that Aroree followed the Worlfriders in their rescue of Suntop, and helped Leetah reach Winnowill to complete her healing. Winnowill is left with her powers safely buried and her mind reoriented (not "fixing" her, but making her recognize that what she is doing cannot continue). Winnowill  follows Voll north in an attempt to protect him, and manages to keep him from getting killed by the trolls. Basically, it's me deconstructing all of my healed!Winnowill, alive!Voll fan stories from my youth lol.

Perfect! That helps!

I'd say the only "out of character" moment would be Voll fighting with a troll. BUT - that's out of character for canon. Because Voll was perhaps the only soul gentler than Savah. (Actually, I always though Savah and Voll would have made an epic pairing). So the idea of him giving it to a troll, seemed initially odd. But when you explain it's an alternate reality, what Voll has endured, fighting against trolls, along side the others, could certainly change a person.

Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 5:20 pm

I agree that Voll is extremely gentle; it's one of the reasons I adore his character. In the story the Gliders join the Go-Backs and the Wolfriders for the Palace War, and thus are expected to pitch in when it comes to lodge-keeping and fighting. I always envisioned the Gliders as having had a rough time of it out in the forests, moving constantly to avoid humans and fighting them when they couldn't avoid it; Voll now has to remember how to fight for survival (literally). He initially gets by on adrenaline and muscle-memory and the help of the Chosen, but he has a lot to relearn. He gets his skull fractured for his trouble, the first time.

I think I will edit this, since his bit about paying the troll back is a bit cavalier for him; one of the many, many reasons he and Winnowill fight during this time is because he's more inclined towards mercy and compassion towards their enemies. Winnowill very much is not.

(Re:Voll and Savah...they are rather striking, aren't they? Voll could learn a lot from her.)
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag EmptyThu Jul 16, 2020 2:43 am

Arill3.0 wrote:

I think I will edit this, since his bit about paying the troll back is a bit cavalier for him; one of the many, many reasons he and Winnowill fight during this time is because he's more inclined towards mercy and compassion towards their enemies. Winnowill very much is not.

Edit that part? That was my favorite part of the story! Smile

Sponsored content

June 2020 Grab Bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2020 Grab Bag   June 2020 Grab Bag Empty

Back to top Go down

June 2020 Grab Bag
Page 1 of 1