Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art

Go down 
+7
Vaeri
Lunakat
Startear
Yeee
PCoquelin
Trollbabe
Sifra
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Prism

Prism

Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Looking at Wendy's art of Jynk, I can't help but marvel at the hair that's bigger than Tyleets, Korafeys and Freetouchs put together! But I think a huge problem with Jynk's series and character altogether is how cynical, jaded, hard-bitten and try-hard glitzy she is. No consequences for her actions nor any explanation for her overpowered self, In some ways, she's a prime example of Recognition gone horribly wrong!
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 12:41 pm

The skinny look is the Erte influence, which I also liked.

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 10:55 pm

PCoquelin mentioned "grim" - this is why "Masque" failed to hold my interest. The violence was to excess IMHO. Horror is most effective when the reader's imagination fills in the blanks.

I really have to say something in defense of Barry Blair. In response to Blair's untimely death, Richard Pini said something like, "In a world of talkers, he was a do-er."

I'm just sorry we never got to see the kind of art he would have produced at sixty-five or eighty.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2021 1:46 pm

I liked the concept for Masque. I don’t mind horror. I’ve read lots of other comics with excessive gore, and I’m a big Edgar Allan Poe fan. The artwork didn’t grab me, though. The colors were a little bit bright for me, and the characters seemed a little stiff. But I could see it being just great animated, or as a stage play (which I think was in the works). It’s a really creative take on the story.

Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Masque was good if on the glitzy side. Anton and Steffan were two deeply flawed individuals with Steffan's jealous actions leading to a worldwide pandemic. A lot of it seemed to be the near veneration of the 'Beautiful People' and the fact that so many seem to be either amoral or apathetic. Another good one which is hard to find is her Stormbringer art. The quality there is top notch.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 4:48 pm

Now I'd like to take a look at the humans, starting with Original Quest and ending with Final Quest.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Original Quest=

The very first humans we see are akin to Homo Erectus or even Australopithecus. They wear hides, carry clubs and their eyes are always bulging out. Basically they're very fearful and react violently to what they consider an invasion. Meant to be one dimensional and the nightmares that haunt elf and troll memory.

Then we head straight into the Gotara worshippers. These human wear plain leather and fur with no adornment, women are subservient and they either live in caves or tents. The Spirit Man wears the most elaborate adornment and rules his people through fear, intimidation and fanatical mania. Far as I can tell, the followers of Gotara acknowledge no other god, are inflexible in their beliefs and hunt elves relentlessly. Even when we see starving refugees from that tribe they are inflexible in their fanatic hatred.

After that we Olbar's tribe, the same tribe where Adar comes from. Their clothing has more detail and jewelry is common. The spiritual leader is or was the Bone Woman who's covered in bones and rules/manipulates Olbar by playing on his fears. As for elves, they're fairly neutral fearing the Preservers more.

Finally, we have the Hoang t Aysho who live by Blue Mountain and blindly worship the Gliders. Their clothing is highly detailed and embroidered, women are spiritual leaders and they send people to Blue Mountain ideally to live their, but the humans are in reality slaves. Not even slaves but pets or playthings to amuse Winnowil.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 pm

Siege at Blue Mountain=

We only catch a glimpse or two of Olbar's tribe except they are doing well and Olbar has a very fertile mate, The Hoang t Aysho are manipulated by Winnowil in hunting Wolfriders and team up with some Gotara worshippers. (The Gotara worshippers seem to have learned how to domesticate the horse). Due to the siightly different art, it's hard to differentiate. The Hoang t Aysho are devastated by the loss of Blue Mountain/Gliders and migrate south, Dart makes friends with Geoki who's roughly the same age and thinks differently from his father and peers.

Kings of the Broken Wheel=

We don't see them for a while until Volume 8, but the humans of Djunsland look a little different. They're paler, softer featured and the clothing's taylored with archery. They neither know or care about elves or trolls, altho a chieftain wants Timmain's white pelt. Fast forward 10,000 years and they are medieval. We see young Shuna and the Woodcutter who believes in elves and gives gifts.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Hidden Years=

At first, most of it is focused on prehistoric. We're introduced to Little Patch who's outcast at birth due to his birthmark, Raised by the Wolfriders to return to his birth people who're fairly advanced. They have livestock, weave cloth, have stone walls and live in Neolithic prosperity. Not much is known about their spirituality.

Later, we meet their medieval descendants who worship Threshkt and are fairly downtrodden by their leader Grohmul Djun which turns into a civil war.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 5:46 pm

Searcher and the Sword=

Shuna meets Iceholt humans who are insect based and lands into an abusive marriage with Nunkah. While his village was patriarchal, the rest are matriarchal. We have no idea who they descended from tho I'll wager their ancestors are mostly Olbar's tribe with some remnants from Gotara worshippers and Hoang t Aysho. Also Shuna hooks up with Ikopek the Bee.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Final Quest=

Well, the power struggle after Grohmul Djun's death is filled by his son Angrif who then turn on the Longriders and enslave them.

Longriders= Somewhat based on Central Asian nomads with some Southeast Asia tossed in, they're born to the saddle and natural warriors with some children taken in by the Wolfriders and an increasingly pissy Teir. Tingeh and Khorbasi have their lifespan extended.

We also see some seafaring humans who interact peacefully with Wavedancers. We also see a hamfisted invasion of Iceholt humans by Djunslanders in a not so subtle take on colonialism and the EVILS!!! of firearms.

The conclusion.................
Shuna is a guru leading humans into an enlightened relationship with elves setting up for Future Quest which I won't touch as it was not written nor drawn by Wendy.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 7:25 pm

Prism, I am REALLY looking forward to your views on Troll art.

Please forgive me if my comments lack references. Trollhubby made bread pudding, I just ate three helpings, and I am probably going to get sleepy any minute now.

IMHO The earliest Abodean humans, in the first few pages of Original Quest, differ from the earliest Earth humans in two ways.

One is their commitment to worshipping a single deity. (I may be wrong about this.) The other is genetic diversity.

The Palace landed in a place resembling Earth between the Arctic Circle and what we home gardeners call the northern frost line. The last Ice Age hadn't hit them yet.

Let's assume that humans, by this time, had migrated all over the World of Two Moons, and that they had diversified into groups with different characteristics that we call "race."

They would include the first group who encountered the High Ones, as well as the post-Ice Age group that worshipped Gotara.

Seeing them, I assume that all of the African- and Australian-looking humans remained close to the Abodean equator.

Any humans resembling the indigenous peoples of North or South America remain undiscovered.

Later, we meet the Asian-looking Longriders, and at least two African-looking characters (Fire-Eye or New Blood?)

One is a boy whose name escapes me. The other is Cam Triompe, the gentleman pirate. In the elfquest.com character listing, Captain Cam doesn't have an individual profile picture.

In the group illustration under elfquest.com/characters, everybody looks Caucasian except maybe the Bone Woman.

Among the Elves, no amount of breeding, flesh-shaping or Palace magic ever produces an African-looking Elf. Maleen comes closest in terms of skin and hair color.

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 12:44 pm

On the trolls, we'll start at the beginning.

Original Quest= There are the Firstcomers and two kingdoms.... Greymung's Forest Kingdom and Guttlekraw's Ice Kingdom.
Firstcomers trolls are different from their descendants in that their noses are smaller and they appeared shorter as well. Which I wish was kept in Final Quest.
Greymung/Guttlekraw= not much difference in their societies except that Greymung's is more cowardly while Guttlekraw's is brutish and cannibalistic. Both rely on enslaved Rockshapers.
Art= There seems to be a strong sense of Brutalism/Gothic in their architecture with some use of Grotesque, Hunky Punk and Gargoyles. When Cutter and Skywise are captured by Picknose, Old Maggoty and Oddbit, the hovel is simple enough, constructed of log and stone, but there's still ornamentation. The door has iron reinforcements, they drink out of what appears to be tiki mugs and there is an appealing aesthetic. The trolls as a whole appear to appreciate ornamentation and detail more than the elves with more carvings. Not much difference for architecture of either Greymung or Guttlekraw except that Guttlekraw's is more intimidating, imposing and fortified.

Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Siege at Blue Moutain= Trolls are out of focus here. All we know is that Picknose is living it up (for the time being) and that Two-Edge is having an extreme identity crises. We do meet Smelt who taught his son trollish craft before being killed by Winnowil.

Kings of the Broken Wheel= Not much of an evolution in art, but it's subtle. Picknose's descendants are not afraid of him and will disrespect him at any time, but they are cohesive, loyal and efficient. We also learn that Picknose is a huge softie where his kids are concerned and is a very competent Patriarch where Oddbit is a self-centered, vain, frivolous, fickle yet very fertile Matriarch. Old Maggoty of course is the real power who browbeats the whole Clan into toeing the line. Or Else!  Trinket, Drub and Flam become breakout characters.

Last edited by Prism on Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 1:19 pm

Hidden Years= The tech side of the trolls or at least Picknose's Clan shows through with use of bellows, repeating wrist crossbows and more. They are closer to elves in a true alliance than any other troll society as true equals. Cutter and Picknose are by now fire-forged old friends who have deep respect for one another.

The Discovery= No trolls, although Reef in his Broken One stage resembles an aquatic troll.

Searcher and the Sword= We meet the degenerate Misfit Trolls whose condition could've been from tainted magic. They're reduced to scavenging and hoarding, but healing and Picknose turn them around.

Final Quest= The introduction of Firstcomer Troll and his guards. To me Firstcomer Troll looks off with his head being to small for his body. I would've preferred him to be smaller than his descendants and more gnome-like in appearance. His guards are male and female suggesting a gender equality not seen elsewhere in troll society with the exception of Picknose's Clan. (I say this because of how strong Drub, Trinket and Old Maggoty without any subservience).

Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Stargazer's Hunt= Not really Wendy, but Sonny Strait's art is near that by now and I'm intrigued by the Offworld Trolls who resemble their Firstcomer ancestors and revere elves rather than resent. Their art is more delicate and wrought, however I'd like to see more personality. So far, they seem bland and live in a perfect utopia so none really stick out.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 4:23 pm

A note on Firstcomer troll height discrepancies, in Original Quest the Firstcomer Trolls were small indeed, easily half the size and height of the High Ones while in Final Quest, Firstcomer Troll is the same size as his descendants. Meaning that Wendy forgot the initial size differences or couldn't be bothered to look up her art from the 70's.

As for the differences between troll and elf art aesthetically, elf art is delicate, dainty , curved and elegant while troll art is more ornate, blocky, sturdy grotesque and uses columns.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 4:28 pm

As for African elves, it's subtle but there were a few Sunfolk that fit the aesthetic. Rayek for instance had an Egyptian feel and a few background Sun Villagers spotted North African type braids. Ahdri definitely had an afro going on as well.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 9:39 am

My collection stopped at the first few issues of "Final Quest", so I am way behind in the story.  Don't worry about spoilers because I am not planning to buy any books or magazines anytime soon.

I also wouldn't mind seeing any links to what the Firstcomer and Future Trolls look like.  I think Firstcomer has a picture on elfquest.com, but that's all I have seen of him.

(FWIW In my "Trollbabe's Tales" fanfiction, I write about a character who is a result of Winnowill's cruel experiments.  Smelt was her father, and her mother was one of Winnowill's human pets.  She is genetically infertile.  Both parents are long dead, and she has just been told that she has a half-brother, Two-Edge.  I think she resulted from my desire to see more human diversity.)

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 9:59 am

Race isn't a scientific distinction, of course, but modern Egyptians are more Semitic than African. To me at least, the Sun Folk don't look African.

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2022 5:43 pm

On Final Quest there were two main characters who made radical transformations and essentially lost their essence or uniqueness. I'm talking Moonshade and ShenShen here and for a few reasons. Moonshade= The most conservative and traditional Wolfrider of them all has a mid-life crises, moves fulltime in the Palace and eventually asks for her wolf-blood to removed. We see her in High One form a few times and she does not look like herself. Hair down to her feet, androgynous build and her square face elongated essentially losing her beauty. Plus evidently she only had one Palace outfit.

ShenShen= Decides to be a midwife to the humans and gets shaped to resemble one,,,, losing her round face, full figure and gorgeous eyes in the process. Also I dislike that all she seems to care about is midwifery. What happened to the gal that learned herbalism and non-magical healing from Old Maggoty?

Basically, ShenShen and Moonshade's transformations robs them of their unique looks and gives them generic High One/Human instead.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 06, 2022 12:07 pm

I can agree with this in regards to Moonshade. She's my favorite elf, and while i was quite okay with her choosing to give up her wolfblood and become a High One, i was disappointed with the execution.

I'm a sucker big time for long hair, and i would have been thrilled Moonshade got some majorly long hair...but everyone had been talking about how the clone tool was over used in Final Quest and i feel this is absolutely true with Moonshade's hair.

It became excessively curly to the point it didn't even look like proper hair, let alone Moonshade's hair. I wince every time i think about it now.

And her dress...the color is pure Moonshade but the style...we KNOW Moonshade has more fashion sense than this. Her Shards War era black and red dress for example was simple but drop dead gorgeous. Now we get....a piece of silk tied with ribbons. No layers, which has been her style for decades?

Sorry this went a bit ranty. But yeah.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Next is her Masque of the Red Death. While Wendy is proud of it, I find it problematic for a number of reasons that has nothing to do it being billed as yaoi.
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Honestly, my personal analysis of "Masque" was pretty quick:
When presented it at the shop, I opened it, I started reading it, and I even forced myself to read the last pages.
Utter disgust, at the drawing style and at the story arc, made me NOT buying it. With NO regret, ever.

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 4:09 pm

The world setting=Takes place in a futuristic high tech utopia. People live twice as long as their ancestors, with no war, poverty, famine and little religion. In fact the whole world of Sivarsi 9 is heavily homogenous with only some divergence in the Islands and their blue skinned natives. The world is also hedonistic, decadent, materialistic, dominated by mega corporations, corrupt and past it's prime, There seems to be a lot of cyberpunk/biopunk in the theme as well. Architecture is Art Deco,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art   Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Analysis of Wendy's Elfquest art
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next