Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Site Poll (on appearance)

Go down 
+9
Timmain
Outlier
TrollHammer
G0lden
PCoquelin
Vaeri
Leanan
Wiseshaman
Blackbird
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

Site Poll (on appearance) Empty
PostSubject: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 am

At first, I was thinking on having some things done as a surprise for members....

Then after some thought and some posts, I thought, ok... even though that's a cool thought, it might not be so for many members here

So this is just a poll giving you all a say on how Father Tree looks and possible appearance changes in the works.

Background
The background of the site is what you see on the right and left borders of the site (currently leaves and roses)

Our Lunakat offered to do up something new to maybe offset the main page (forest feel) as well as incorporate the World of Two Moons feel, like maybe a background of stars.

Main Page "topic section" images and icons

PCoquelin had suggested each section have a "tree branch" like image added (the scenery ones I previous had went wonky, so I had to take them off), as well as "leaf" icons to the left of each section.  This would give the Main page a more "forest" look

Also, Nibblet sent me the icons from the old Scrolls site (the 1st one) which are up NOW in hopes to give that old "home" feel Wink

My idea was to keep those, but still add the :tree branch: image idea to each section, and then have the leaf icons for the topic sections (Announcement, Sticky, regular topics)

The Banner

Oh pleasepleasepleaseplease lemme keep this one as a surprise! Shocked Shocked

I didn't add a "poll" to this thread since there's 3 different topics, so I'll add the following below that members can use to voice their opinions.  Just copy/paste or whatever to your liking and feel free to add your own suggestions.

Please note: There may be ideas that just simply can't be installed into the site, but the best efforts will be made to do so!

Vote on background:

Vote on section images and icons:

Vote on banner:

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Love background idea with stars!
And the topic idea ^^

Wiseshaman

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:28 pm

I like all the ideas...

Make it so!

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Love the idea with background having stars and the idea with the topic area.

The banner I leave to you Kin.

Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:29 pm

I don't really have an opinion on any of that. The current look is fine for me, the most important thing is that the posts stay readable. Stars, sure, I like stars... but it's not the look that matters, it is the content and the members!

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 pm

i like the concept of a forest and star type background. perhaps a moon on either side? XD

if you're talking the topic icons currently in use...eeehh...i'm not really a fan of them. they feel kind of impersonal to me.
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:44 pm

OK from me for all three approaches, but...

Could you first present some basic first look(s) for the background ?

Same about the Father Tree, when (almost) ready ? ( even if I do applaud about the "surprise" idea, for I am already sure that you and Embala shall present us something wonderful, no worry here.. )

Another remark about the pink and green colours for texts : they're a bit too strong for readability:
slightly paler tones would spare my poor eyes some efforts...

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 pm

The green text I can change ASAP for ya hun Wink no problem... but where is there pink text? O__o

And yes! I did plan to show the options once they were done so everyone can see before implimenting them ^__^

Keep the feedback coming everyone!

Back to top Go down
Timmain
Admin
Timmain

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Nevermind, PC... I realized what you meant. It comes up orange on my end, which led me to be momentarily confused.

And I then I realized by your suggestion that this will most likely be more helpful to those of our members who have visual difficulties as well. I hope the darker text makes things easier to read!

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 11:47 pm

I don't care what is done as long as I can see it and read with ease I am good.

Timmain
Admin
Timmain

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:30 am

Just bumping the thread to see if there's any further input Wink

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 am

Just wanted to say that Im glad there's a site to come to, and its as close to the old vBulletin site I started on as any (well, the parts I wished were still there for years at least- hard to explain, but "critical mass", and an easily accessible readerboard of current topics that arent confusing). Im pretty simple, and while I used some kf the features of the old SoC (first phpfox version, with blogs and personal groups and stuff), I feel that was a step backwards. It feels a bit more like home here, and has since I started.

The only thing I have had slight reservations about is what the site might look like to someone looking over my shoulder, in the work environment Im in with the supervisor I have... Im a minority here so Im not suggesting thing be changed on my whims, just being open.

Anyway, if the format the site ends up having has a layout with components that could transfer over to my Magic card project (viney boarders, symbols, backgrounds, etc) and with your permission I could put together a template using the components for the card game, if its well liked.

Anyway, keep up the awesome job!

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Needs like readability, accessabilty and easy usability are vital. Whatever is needed to support this I'm fine with.

I like color and pictures and a look that makes this forum distictive from x-teen interchangeable uniform others. Keep the look elfquesty and/or close to nature ... and I'll be happy.

Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm with Embala that I think usability is the highest priority. I love that we get back in this forum a nice list of subjects and can clearly see what is new and go directly to it. That's probably the number one complaint I had of all of the facebooky scroll updates - they took away the ability to prioritize what I wanted to see when I visited.

SOme nice EQ related graphics would be nice, but are not a priority to me. I'm also kind of with Trollhammer on that I actually kind of prefer a more basic look that doesn't scream to passersby what I'm doing.

Really, the only change I would ask for at the moment is for the banner at the top to be a little shorter. I would like to see more of the forum topics at the top and be able to do a little less scrolling to get to the good bits.

Admin
Timmain

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 2:48 am

Outlier wrote:
I'm also kind of with Trollhammer on that I actually kind of prefer a more basic look that doesn't scream to passersby what I'm doing.

Was wondering if you and TrollHammer could be a little more specific by what you mean by "a more basic look"?

Although we do strive to hopefully give the site a bit more of an EQ feel, it won't have half naked elves plastered everywhere on the main page if that's what you guys were worried about  Laughing Laughing

And just a bit of an update. As I stated before (either in this thread or Hunts and Howls; can't remember offhand), Luna was working on the background and whatnot. As many of you know, she's had her hands tied with some real life stuff, but she is still working on those and everyone being so awesomely patient is appreciated I love you

And whatever Emabala comes up with for the banner, yes, it will be more narrow than the current one!

Thank you for the input everyone! I greatly appreciate it! Timmain

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 am

Timmain wrote:
And whatever Emabala comes up with for the banner, yes, it will be more narrow than the current one!
This answers an unasked question ... and makes things easier, I guess! Smile

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyTue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

My favorite feature is the scrolling information on the right side, that tells me which threads have recently been updated, and by whom.

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyWed May 06, 2015 7:58 am

I've seen forums where users can choose between different skins. Not sure if that is possible here, but we could have a dark forest theme, a desert theme, a snowy theme, a star field theme...
But as for the decoration, I agree with others that for forums, less is more.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyWed May 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Looking back over this discussion thread, I agree with Elwing and others, that less is more. Also, I am in agreement with Trollhammer about the over-the-shoulder factor. I use public library computers, and take my laptop to public WiFi environments, where I might encounter clients or prospects. The current color scheme and pattern look conservative enough for any environment.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Elwing wrote:
... but we could have a dark forest theme, a desert theme, a snowy theme, a star field theme...
Almost sounds like "seasons" ... maybe it can change with the seasons? (No idea how much effort it would require to change the skins regulary.) Just mind games ...

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyThu May 07, 2015 12:58 am

Elwing wrote:
I've seen forums where users can choose between different skins. Not sure if that is possible here, but we could have a dark forest theme, a desert theme, a snowy theme, a star field theme...

I've seen the forums that allow you to do this, such as those hosted by "jcink" and "proboards". Sadly, foumotion doesn't have that option Embarassed

But yes, the over all appearance can be changed with the seasons, or settings that are related to EQ. That would be fun actually if others are interested...

Embala, were still wanting to do the site banner?

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyThu May 07, 2015 1:05 am

I'm getting in the mood for it . Still "puzzling around" in mind only so far ...

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) EmptyThu May 07, 2015 1:06 am

No pressure Embala! Can't wait to see what you come up with! PM me any questions if you have them!
cat

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Site Poll (on appearance)   Site Poll (on appearance) Empty

Back to top Go down

Site Poll (on appearance)
Page 1 of 1