Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discovery Concluded!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
manga

manga

Discovery Concluded! Empty
PostSubject: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Wherein I hijack Wendy's story for my own nefarious purposes. Mwa ha ha.

**I'll be back to collect you soon, my Wavedancers!** Surge sent, bearing the unconcious Cutter away from the safety of the Palace and the aid of his friends. **For your sakes -- and his -- OBEY ME! Forget the Palace -- or he dies!**

Leetah watched in helpess anguish as her lifemate slowly vanished into the gloom of the Vast-Deep. Snakeskin swore his frustration. Never in his darkest dreams had he imagined his father would go so far. He should have done SOMEthin--

**Really, Zhantee, that's just pathetic.**

A collective gasp went up from the crowd at the unexpected sending. Two figures were emerging from the gloom beyond Crest Point. Surge drew himself to an abrupt halt and shouted his threat again. The pair stopped but spared him no attention.

Brill glanced at her new lifemate and his friends in confusion. Why were these two new elves causing such fear? Sunstream's grip on her arm was painful and through their bond she could feel the hum of the powers he was readying, but the strange, dark-skinned elf was continuing.

**Cutter's being kidnapped by a mad-man and you throw the shield only around his HEAD?** The stranger's tone was chiding and exasperated. **If this is what death does for one then for my part, I say no thank you. THIS is how it's done!**

Surge nearly dropped his knife as a golden glow spread out from Cutter's skin, completely enveloping his captive and pushing the knife safely away. He glared wildly at the strangers who smirked back. There was a flurry of raised eyebrows and lock-sendings and Surge found himself caught up in a surge of current that moved too quickly for him to manipulate. He was seperated from the wolf-chief and found his arms bound to his sides by bands of water that spun around him dizzyingly.

A flash of red and gold tail swept past the Palace entrance and Cutter was shoved into the eager arms of his family. Rayek -- for it could only be he, despite the unfamiliar height of his body -- flicked his tail and rocketed back to his partner. He settled on a rock on her far side, at last giving everyone a clear view of exactly what they'd been fearing.

Winnowill floated there, watching Surge as one might watch a bug one has found on one's arm. She wore a green and purple tail to match Rayek's; the water around them was a Sargasso Sea of black hair floating in the currents. She lock-sent something to which Rayek frowned and nodded in the direction of the Palace.

**Well then, what shall we do with him?** In the Palace the elves flinched at her open sending then stared at each other in consternation. There had been nothing of "black sending" in it.

**You shall do nothing with me, strangers!** Surge shouted and continued ranting.

**You'll do nothing, Winnowill!** Cutter roared, struggling out of Leetah's panicked healing embrace.

**Oh? And who'll stop me? You, I suppose?** Winnowill returned languidly. Rayek smothered a grin.

Swiftly Cutter turned toward the only hope he could think of, since Rayek had so clearly and horribly failed. "Timmain--!" But the High One merely shook her head and continued to cooly watch events.

**Go sit on a cactus -- without your breeches,** Rayek sent peevishly. **What is it about you? We can't even go for a quiet stroll in the middle of the Vast-Deep without you showing up.** Winnowill delicatetly touched his shoulder and pointed, drawing his attention back to the large fish-elf she still held trapped. Surge was cursing them every way he could think of and inventing a few more on the spot.

Rayek floated up from his rock and together they moved to hang in front of the raving elf. Surge found himself stuttering to a stop, unnerved by the green and gold gazes trained so intently upon him. **Won't any of my Wavedancers come to my aid?** he shouted in desperation. **How can you leave me -- I, who have give--**

**Oh do shut UP,** Rayek snapped, his eyes flashing. Surge instantly fell silent and stiffened like a piece of coral. **There,** Rayek muttered. **At last we can hear ourselves think.**

**Please...** Snakeskin's sending reached out, surprising everyone including Winnowill and Rayek. They turned their eyes to him, waiting for him to finish. **Please,** he sent again. **He's my father.** He'd intended to say more, to try to explain all that made Surge -- chief, father, grieving lifemate -- what he was but found that he could say no more.

Nor was more needed. **Be at peace** Winnowill sent after exchanging glances with Rayek. **No harm will come to your father.** The spinning wall of water that had held Surge fell away as she leaned forward and stared searchingly into his eyes. She flicked a silent question at Rayek that went too fast for the other elves to catch; then gently she cupped Surge's face in her hands. The Wavedancers stared in awe and terror as his fins shrank to nothingness and the golden, scaley glow of his skin turned pink. Pale red hair grew to replace the head-fins and the webbing between his finger and toes disappeared.

**Winnowill!** Cutter shouted angrily.

**Don't make me shut you up the same way, pup.** Rayek shot a hot glare edged with the spell he threatened at the wolfling. Her work done, Winnowill took one of Surge's arms and Rayek the other. Carefully they swam him toward the entrance just as he began to shake off Rayek's spell.

**Wha-- What have you done to me?!** he raged, too shocked and disoriented to try anything.

Salt, the oldest Wavedancer, pulled himself toward the entryway, his tail dragging behind him in the water-less environment of the Palace. **That is the form you were born with,** he sent wonderingly. **Before you had yourself changed to better suit our environment.**

**A Lander is as a Lander does,** Rayek sent with malicious cheerfulness. **Now then,** he continued as they set the sea-elf down in front of the Palace's entrance. **I've been shielding you even as Zhantee and I were shielding Cutter. There are two choices before you. One: you may walk into the Palace, greet and apologize to your tribemates and have Leetah or one of the others help you regain your previous form. Two: you may stay out here and drown.**

**I'd rather drown than--!** Surge began instantly.

**You choose then to stay out here?** Winnowill and Rayek sent in unison with eerily identical smiles that sent chills up the spines of those who saw. They paused then, still moving in that disturbing unison, leaned meaningfully over Surge. **With us?**

Surge, overwhelmed and on the edge of terror, stumbled backwards, falling through the Palace's magical barrier and into the arms of his tribemates.

**That's what we thought,** they sent with complacent smugness.

Once inside the Palace, Surge could no longer deny the warmth and welcome to be found there. The great crystal walls sang to him of home; their delicate shades reminded him of the coral around Crest Point. He could hardly speak for shock and shame. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he left them there. At last he looked up as a gentle hand reached down and touched his cheek; up he looked into Timmain's eyes and in the eyes of the last living High One found a surety like no other.

The Sun Folk and the Wavedancers eagerly welcomed Surge. The hallway began to echo and re-echo with cheerful chatter. The Wolfriders however remained in the entryway, suspicious and confused.

**What are you doing here, Black Snake?** Nightfall demanded, her hand clutching the hilt of her sword tightly.

**That,** Winnowill responded calmly, **is a very good question.** She turned to Rayek who was staring up at the walls of the Palace. **Rayek?** He did not respond and after a moment she reached over in exasperation and shook his arm. **Yes, yes. Read them later. Look at the spiral.**

His sending drifted back, ephemeral as fog. **Spiral...?** Clearly he wasn't giving them much of his attention.

**Yes darling,** Winnowill sighed, **the spiral. The one that guides your steps when you insist on taking these Walks.**

An unreadable expression flickered across Rayek's face. **Ah.**

**Ah?** Winnnowill queried pointedly. **AH?! How many times do I have to tell you to watch when you Walk?**

**She is right, you know,** Timmain sent, cooly amused. **You are far earlier than you should be.**

Rayek said no word in response to the High One but the lift of his chin and a tightening in the corner of his mouth said it clearly enough. He was -- if not exactly then at least close enough to-- where he had intended to be. Then he grinned, a hard flash of mischeviousness, and took Winnowill's arm in his. **Come along love,** he sent as they turned and floated away, **I doubt we'll run into him star diving.** With that and a parting glance at the stunned Wolfriders that made the pair laugh, they disappeared.

Later, after the celebrations had wound down, it was time for explanations. The Wavedancers listened in awe and fear to the story of Winnowill. "Wait!" Snakeskin interjected suddenly. "The Broken One! Please, sweet healer, if your powers are indeed so strong then join them to ours!"

"No... no need..." The new voice startled them all nearly out of their skins.

"You..." Salt cried, holding his ancient arms out to the newcomer. "Is it really you? After all this time...!" He choked. "My son...!" Spray's hand went to her throat; no words could she make but she enfolded her lost child in a sending of joy.

**Reef!**

In a daze, the elf formerly known as "The Broken One," held his parents for the first time in countless tides. Not an eye in the room was dry; even if they didn't know the history behind it, the Wolfriders and Sun Folk knew soul-joy when they saw it. At length, Reef pulled back a little from his parents and looked around queringly. "Is she not here?" he asked.

"She?" Spray asked, confused.

"She of the green eyes and long, black hair. I-- I found her..." he frowned, calling up long fragmented memories. "She was in pain. She was crying. I touched... I tried..." He shook his head as if a swarm of bees were buzzing inside it. "--then I hurt. And everything I could see, touch, say or remember was in shards."

Leetah and Cutter exchanged a significant look. "She is not here," Leetah said. "She is..." she paused. What to make of today's events? How to explain them? SHOULD she explain them? Winnowill had said "watch WHEN you walk..." Leetah came to a decision. "She is dead."

Reef looked disappointed. "A pity," he said. "I wanted to thank her!"

"Thank her?!" Surge thundered.

"Yes, thank her," he responded quietly. "For today she returned and gave me back myself."

"What is going on here?" Cutter hissed, dragging Sunstream off to the side. "She is-- or was-- dead! Not to mention twisted, crazy evil!" Sunstream could only shake his head.

"I don't understand any more than you, Father. I've searched for Rayek; I've gotten as close as I dared and all I can tell you is that they are as we saw them after the Shards War."

"Winnowill told Rayek to watch WHEN he walked," Leetah mused. "There is much more here than I think we can know now."

The family looked up with respectful inquiry as Timmain approached them. "Then let us leave it for its proper time," she said, smiling gently. "Now is what we have; now there is new life and new friends to celebrate!"

Acknowledging the rightness of her words, Cutter, Leetah and Sunstream went back to join the celebrations that had been renewed with The No-Longer-Broken One's return.

Timmain watched them all and smiled. It had been a good day indeed.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 pm

On, and for some extra fun, you can now listen to a dramatization http://www.audiofanfictionlibrary.com/elfquest.html of the story!

Last edited by manga on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:33 pm

So awesome! It's hard to pick a favorite bit, but I think I'm gonna have to go with this.
manga wrote:
**Really, Zhantee, that's just pathetic. Cutter's being kidnapped by a mad-man and you throw the shield only around his HEAD?** The stranger's tone was chiding and exasperated. **If this is what death does for one then for my part, I say no thank you. THIS is how it's done!**
That's our Rayek! God bless that arrogant babe!
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Ok... I'll admit... Ursula the sea witch has nothing on these two.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Now I have the idea of Winnowill singing "Poor, Unfortunate Souls" stuck in my head. Thanks, Kindred. ;D
Back to top Go down
ChristinaRaibert

ChristinaRaibert

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:50 pm

manga wrote:
**A Lander is as a Lander does,** Rayek sent with malicious cheerfulness. **Now then,** he continued as they set the sea-elf down in front of the Palace's entrance. **I've been shielding you even as Zhantee and I were shielding Cutter. There are two choices before you. One: you may walk into the Palace, greet and apologize to your tribemates and have Leetah or one of the others help you regain your previous form. Two: you may stay out here and drown.**

**I'd rather drown than--!** Surge began instantly.

**You choose then to stay out here?** Winnowill and Rayek sent in unison with eerily identical smiles that sent chills up the spines of those who saw. They paused then, still moving in that disturbing unison, leaned meaningfully over Surge. **With us?**

Surge, overwhelmed and on the edge of terror, stumbled backwards, falling through the Palace's magical barrier and into the arms of his tribemates.

Mwhahahahahaha I'm dying XD Oh Rayek, you cracked me up with the 'Lander is as Lander does' line! And I can totally see Surge stumble backward and try to crawl away to get as much distance and as many elves as possible between him and those two! XD Run sushi-elf, run!

"She answered his faraway, telepathic call, introducing him to her watery domain. Her longings fulfilled, she knows he will soon go by another name on this world... and on many others. Will she go with him?"
Sunstream and Brill, 1999 "Lovemates" Calendar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Concluded!   Discovery Concluded! Empty

Back to top Go down

Discovery Concluded!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest FanArt and FanFiction-
Jump to: