Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Gifts returned (What-if)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChristinaRaibert

ChristinaRaibert

Gifts returned (What-if) Empty
PostSubject: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 12:27 am

Okay, this wasn't something I had planned, the idea just came in my head while I was playing with the forum icons. A What-if take on what might happen to "some" characters in the tenth issue of Final Quest.

Gifts returned
by Christina Raibert

Part One

You're safe. It is safe here, nothing can go wrong, Reef told himself as he nervously let himself be swept this way and that by the living stream of elves. No danger. No harm. You'll be okay.

"You'll be okay, Reef," Korafay had told him earlier on, as she dragged him resolutely by hand toward the shimmering crystal dome. "Everyone's going, there will be music and dances and lot of delicious things to eat. You'll see! It'll be fun!"

He had agreed, because he didn't want to let down his best friend. But there had been a moment, when he had crossed the Pah-Lass' threshold, when fear had nearly paralyzed him - a deep, unfathomable fear that had the eyes and the voice of the lovely paingiver.

"I can't! It, it was here that she... she was..."

"Oh, Reef - she's gone now! All that remains in the Palace is her likeness. And that can't harm you!"

He wanted to explain that it wasn't so simple. The fear that had gripped his hear was both his own and Winnowill's. Not of the Pah-lass in itself, but of what it stood for. Light and healing and--

Don't go there. Keep walking, he chided  himself. One step at a time. Don't look around. Don't fret.

For Korafay, of course, things were much easier. She was born to all this. She was totally in her element. Reef had watched wistfully as she made her way toward her parents, with the boldness of one who never second-guessed anything, who did what she wanted and bothered little with the consequences. Reef wished he could have had a fifth of her confidence.

For him it was all new and strange and scary. It was a nightmare of colors and voices and faces looming all around a poor, confused elf. Maybe... if Korafay had steered him by hand in the confusion, it wouldn't have seemed so suffocating. She could always make light of the things that worried him...

But when he had last seen Korafay, she had just flung herself into the arms of her grandparents - the woodland ones, pip-sized and bright-eyed, and the spirit ones, shimmery and twinkling. One of the spirits had a long fish-tail trailing behind her.

Haze and Farbright, from the old times. He had been shocked to remember their names and faces so vividly, even after so long. How many turns have they been swimming in the spirit plane?, he wondered. Because of course, Reef the elf couldn't remember their deaths, and the painful shape that had once constrained him couldn't even keep track of time's passing. The painful shape had never realized that Brill had Farbright's skin, hair and eyes, or Haze's shy smile. For the painful shape she had always been just another of the pretty ones who looked at him with pity. His kin, yet a kin apart... the shadow of everything he had been when he was still Reef the elf.

Too puzzling! Too crowded! And too many notions to remember, too many names and faces and voices to keep straight.

On shaky legs, he stumbled out on one of the terraces. He needed to feel the fresh air on his skin again. He wanted to see the sky. Where was the sea? If only he could have swam all the way back home...

Someone left the terrace at the same time as he was entering it. Reef all but lost balance, while the other elf jerked back, growling softly under his breath.

Sending Water-worms... watch where you wriggle! Sending

He was pip-sized like Korafay's woodland parents, with rusty hair and piercing eyes that made Reef think of a dagger-teeth. His leathers were of a uniform dark green, and a quiver with some weird-looking harpoons hang from his back. His stance, too, was reminiscent of the dagger-teeth's defiance. It took Reef a moment to realize that this lander-elf was a hunter, like No-Ripple, Krill and Kroosh. No, just like No-Ripple. Krill was too wild, and Kroosh too reckless.

He wanted to apologize to the lander-elf. But then something else struck him - a familiar note in his sending... and in his eyes, too. Looking at him, hearing him send, was like watching one's own reflection through a murky pool. There was something about the lander that rang a familiar bell with Reef. Or perhaps he was deceiving himself? Was it another trick of his eyes?

The lander's eyebrows arched. He took a step back, and his stance relaxed just so slightly.

Sending Ah. Sending he sent, as though that clarified everything. Sending So you are that one... the one who tangled with the Black Snake. Sending

She's gone, Reef. She can't harm you.

Korafay was right as always - she had to be right. Yet even now, after untold years and a successful healing, Reef's heart froze in terror when he realized that "the Black Snake" was no one else than the paingiver.

"She answered his faraway, telepathic call, introducing him to her watery domain. Her longings fulfilled, she knows he will soon go by another name on this world... and on many others. Will she go with him?"
Sunstream and Brill, 1999 "Lovemates" Calendar
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 12:54 pm

*settles in to wait for part 2* ^_^
Back to top Go down
ChristinaRaibert

ChristinaRaibert

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 pm

In the works! ^_^

"She answered his faraway, telepathic call, introducing him to her watery domain. Her longings fulfilled, she knows he will soon go by another name on this world... and on many others. Will she go with him?"
Sunstream and Brill, 1999 "Lovemates" Calendar
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 3:18 am

*joins the waiting camp* awesome!

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 9:36 am

That's a connection I'm kicking myself for never considering. Well done!
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 12:47 am

@kathleen3.0 wrote:
That's a connection I'm kicking myself for never considering. Well done!

SO SECOND THIS!!

*wiggles in with the crowd and sits and waits and shares popcorn while STARING at yooouuu*

O_______O

Is there more yet? Is there more yet? Is there more yet? Is there more yet?

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gifts returned (What-if)   Gifts returned (What-if) Empty

Back to top Go down

Gifts returned (What-if)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest FanArt and FanFiction-
Jump to: