Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #10

Go down 
+21
kathleen3.0
wingthing
Zadzi
Sifra
Embala
Elwing
manga
KR Wordgazer
Tymber
Wiseshaman
G0lden
Paranthropus
Stargazer
Miss Gillespie
Kindredsoul
faeriegirl
Outlier
Nightsea
Arthis
Kojiyumi
Redhead Ember
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Except the teaser indicate differently:

Teaser wrote:
Ten years have passed. The Palace of the High Ones returns as the centerpiece of a grand celebration in Cutter’s holt. I

And Tingeh has matured from a little girl

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Tingeh

to a young woman

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Tingeh-Grown

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Hmm.  Somehow I missed that.  That means Dre-ann or whatever his name is, could have come at any point and have been in the Palace for some time by the time Skywise introduces him.

But the events prior to that ten-year gap could not have taken more than six months.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:
Hmm. Somehow I missed that. That means Dre-ann or whatever his name is, could have come at any point and have been in the Palace for some time by the time Skywise introduces him.

True. I suppose he just went into the Palace and hid somewhere... it's pretty big...

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:
Hmm.  Somehow I missed that.  That means Dre-ann or whatever his name is, could have come at any point and have been in the Palace for some time by the time Skywise introduces him.

True. I suppose he just went into the Palace and hid somewhere... it's pretty big...

Or it's poor, inconsistent writing.

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Ba_tym10
Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Tymber wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Burn10

((Wendy I mean...))

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Combo_1
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkanepublications.com/
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 pm

I think we are just all overthinking this. It is kind of weird that, after all the build up-- only one new guy appears to have surfaced. Sure, the Go Backs came back with Venka, and Aurek showed up after they basically planted the Palace on his head. But the point was to contact new elves-- not have a reunion.

That said-- whatever. We know some significant amount of time has passed-- because Tinga grew up and Shukopeck had a bunch of kids. Skywise has been shuttling people to and from the palace (note- Moonshade)-- so he's clearly been in the loop as to the goings on there. That's how he knew about Silent Guy. Silent Guy showed at sometime during this indeterminate time period. He's clearly shy and lacking in social skills. Skywise had to pull him out to introduce him because he wasn't the sort to think of stepping outside and saying "hi" on his own.

It's not that complicated. It's not the most riveting turn of events-- but it's not nonsensical either. It's a basic transitional issue. Stuff happened-- stuff is about to happen. This is just the point where the story turns a corner.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 12:13 am

Wiseshaman wrote:
Tymber wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:
KR Wordgazer wrote:
11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Burn10
((Wendy I mean...))

That's a hilarious image!

Lunakat wrote:

We know some significant amount of time has passed-- because Tinga grew up and Shukopeck had a bunch of kids. Skywise has been shuttling people to and from the palace (note- Moonshade)-- so he's clearly been in the loop as to the goings on there. That's how he knew about Silent Guy. Silent Guy showed at sometime during this indeterminate time period. He's clearly shy and lacking in social skills. Skywise had to pull him out to introduce him because he wasn't the sort to think of stepping outside and saying "hi" on his own.

It's not that complicated. It's not the most riveting turn of events-- but it's not nonsensical either. It's a basic transitional issue. Stuff happened-- stuff is about to happen. This is just the point where the story turns a corner.

I guess that's (a large part) of my complaint. Readers are being forced to assume a lot of things. To me, it felt like Moonshade popped out of nowhere. Then the strong silent guy pops out of nowhere.

To me, it feels like I am missing pages out of a comic book. Like I am reading issue #10, and when I turned to from page 8 to page 9, I feel like there's about 2 pages of comics that's just missing. Because things are just being "shoved" in our face to say, "Oh, I didn't show you all this cool stuff of Skywise in the pod - but he picked up Elf A, B, C and D - and they're in the Palace."

We don't even see them disembarking the pod or anything. Absolutely NO indication how they got there. They're just suddenly there.

It feels very, very lazy.

(I would say rushed, but there's some elements of this Final Quest that I feel like have dragged on way too long)

There's an over all lack of feeling like anything's building up to something. It just feels like someone is writing all these elves, and they're all just there...

All of that said, I feel like I am repeating myself. And that's probably not good. I think I've made it clear how I feel and I just need to shut the frick up and wait for issue #11 and so on and comment on them as they come out!

That said, I am also very glad that you're getting something out of these issues, Luna. And sorry for ranting and rambling so much! I swear this will be my final word on this issue (unless asked specifically about something!) Smile

study

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Ba_tym10
Signature image by Embala. <3
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 12:27 am

Everything I just wrote disappeared. No energy or time to rewrite it. Sigh.

KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 am

Ok, I'm going to try to re-write part of what got lost.

Part of what's happening for me is that I'm not used to reading a story in small installments, with two months in between each one. I remember the big picture but tend to lose details, and I don't want to go back and re-read the whole thing each time. I'm spoiled because I'm used to reading EQ in the already-compiled graphic novel format.

Anyway, you guys are right and it does seem that 10 years has passed since Angrif Djun was told by his servant that it would take 10 years to build his fleet. The Go-Backs, Rayek, Ekuar and Aurek all came in very quickly after Sunstream sent out the Call, but except for Dre-Ahn, it seems that other elves have tended to stay where they are (except for those with far-away kin using pods to go for visits). The Wavedancers have mostly stayed where they are, as have the Wolfriders-- even though pods have been available to them (Timmain's restriction doesn't appear to apply to already-contacted tribes.)

This makes me think Timmain was probably right. If Skywise had just shown up in an unknown elf tribe with a pod, saying "Come to the Palace!" then many elves, feeling the pull, might have come to the Palace when on second thought they'd rather have stayed home. Only the Sun Folk and the Go-Backs seem to want to live in the Palace as a whole tribe.

KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 2:51 am

The other thing is that not getting to read the story all at once means nothing can get put in perspective. Each incident stands out on its own account, and we don't know how it will relate to the whole.  The thing about Timmain's restriction is like that; it makes more sense now we see how elves are actually responding (or not responding) to the Call.  

(While I'm on that topic-- Interesting, isn't it, that the Wavedancers have constructed a "Palace" underwater instead of going to the real Palace?  How similar is that to what the Gliders did?)

Rayek's scene in the Palace has the same problem with perspective, I think.  What he does in this issue makes it seem like he has only himself to blame for the upcoming 400 years of Rogue's Curse-- but the whole story hasn't been told.  Did Winnowill really want to be "given over" to Timmain and the Palace-- or just to escape from Rayek? What if Rayek is actually acting more out of love than out of selfishness-- but in this case they look like the same thing?  Who knows? And what's been going on these 10 years in Forbidden Grove?

The EQ stories have always left gaps that are ripe for conjecture, or for fans to fill in.  That's where I used to get all my plots!  So I don't mind so much the way the story jumps around; I figure the stuff that's important for us to know will be told later, while the stuff we're free to fill in for ourselves will remain. I think that the continunity is always clearer when we  get to read an arc as a whole.

I do wonder, though, how Picknose can get across to a whole other continent by following a line of underground caves.  I know there's a land bridge-- but did the trolls already dig their way across it underground, or is that happening now?

But I also feel like all these issues (from the end of the Ember-Teir story arc until now) are really just setting up the chess pieces for a game that's about to commence.  If we had the whole book to read, they'd fit in that way, and we would be glad for the background setup, but also glad Wendy Pini went through it fairly quickly so she could cut to the chase.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 3:37 am

I'm glad you re-wrote, Wordgazer. I was wondering what your thoughts were; they're always good to read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 4:52 am

Lunakat wrote:
That said-- whatever. We know some significant amount of time has passed-- because Tinga grew up and Shukopeck had a bunch of kids. Skywise has been shuttling people to and from the palace (note- Moonshade)-- so he's clearly been in the loop as to the goings on there. That's how he knew about Silent Guy. Silent Guy showed at sometime during this indeterminate time period. He's clearly shy and lacking in social skills. Skywise had to pull him out to introduce him because he wasn't the sort to think of stepping outside and saying "hi" on his own.

That could've happened in the time-jump between the Special and issue 1.
In fact I think the majority of them were born during that time-jump; I'm pretty sure the scene in the beginning is shortly after Shenshen has first arrived.

---

Gotta say I quite like the fact that Lord Voll's dream has come true; he dreamt about turning Blue Mountain into the Palace, now the Palace has - in a way - become Blue Mountain.

Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:42 pm

I have not read everything but for Moonshade: I got the impression that she was moved by Rayeks feelings for Winnowill somehow scratch and that's why she wanted to go back to the holt and spend spring with Strongbow.

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:52 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:
 Did Winnowill really want to be "given over" to Timmain and the Palace-- or just to escape from Rayek?

Considering how Winnowill has reacted to the prospect of being healed in the past, I seriously doubt she was screaming "Let me go... so Timmain can fix me."

And I don't believe that Timmain's line that Rayek was preventing the healing. Not for one minute. Winnowill has always fought tooth and nail to keep someone else from rewriting her brain.
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Maybe we should believe it. Rayek is one of those people who thinks they need a grand purpose in order to be functional. Without restraining Winnowill, what's his purpose now that he's no longer master of the Palace?

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 12:25 am

Kristen made a good point. We don't know what's going to happen to Rayek yet.. so it' premature to judge.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 am

Still... I like WiseShaman's meme so much-- it just makes me want to judge! Oh, the conundrum!

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Hmmh... what if... and this is a big what if... without anyone knowing (Ekuar), Winnie actually beat Rayak and swapped "places" with him, masking herself and his mind, so it was her preventing the others from drawing Rayak out? Just one Winnie possessed Rayak zombie roaming around plotting a new scheme?

Who am I kidding, there's not enough pages left to spin that web...

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Banner11
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Awesome idea, Troll-Hammer, but if all the spirits in the Palace could be fooled by something like that, then I'd have to give up completely in disgust.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm

That's way too sophisticated to be probable.

Say... did anyone listen to David Miz's show in this issue?

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

edit- Hammy

Last edited by Lunakat on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:11 pm

Is this the same Dave Miz that submitted Elfquest on Buzzfeed as one of the top 24 graphic novels of all time? I didn't know he had a podcast, have no idea who he is.

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:21 pm

He is / was Thornbrake on EQ.com.

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Ahhhh! Thanks, Embala, I had no idea. I knew Thornbrake was Dave but didn't know his last name Smile

I began to listen to part of the last podcast but didn't finish it, got sidetracked.

11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 7:53 pm

I'm curious as to what you guys think of his take on issue 10

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   11 - Final Quest #10 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #10
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next