Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #10

Go down 
+21
kathleen3.0
wingthing
Zadzi
Sifra
Embala
Elwing
manga
KR Wordgazer
Tymber
Wiseshaman
G0lden
Paranthropus
Stargazer
Miss Gillespie
Kindredsoul
faeriegirl
Outlier
Nightsea
Arthis
Kojiyumi
Redhead Ember
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 4:54 am

Elwing wrote:
Also, how does Aurek come by his fairly sophisticated clothes if he spent an eternity living on nothing but grubs, lichens and meditation? He would have to hunt some fairly large game to get that much leather... If it is leather...

I think he is wearing worn out meditation Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 am

The weirdest thing in that issue was Timmain smiling!

The whole issue felt very disjointed to me. And I'm disappointed with the direction they're taking Rayek in. It feels like the Pinis went "oh yeah...Rayek. I guess we'd better throw in something about him, but we won't give him any character development or redemption arc..."
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 5:15 am

Elwing wrote:
Also, how does Aurek come by his fairly sophisticated clothes if he spent an eternity living on nothing but grubs, lichens and meditation? He would have to hunt some fairly large game to get that much leather... If it is leather...

He's been down there a long time. You can cure a lot of grub skins in that time.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 am

Re: Aurek... he cut the tattered remains of clothing from decomposing glider bodies and stitched it together. That's my guess.

It makes more sense now that Moonshade was able to greet him. Sunstream announced who it was before he made his way up. That's how Moonshade knew.

I absolutely hate what they did with Rayek. On behalf of Manga, I am completely outraged. I didn't believe this would happen. I really thought he was going to release her and she would be healed. WT actual F? This is too dumb, even for Rayek! I mean- come on! He's better than that! He's been a jerk, but he's not a moron. And what the heck, Ekuar? I can't believe Ekuar and everyone else would just go along with this with a wink and a smile. Give me a break. I can't swallow it.

The gathering of chiefs... that's dumb too. What's the point? These chiefs already know each other! Do they need a convention? And, more importantly, not everybody is there yet! (i hope!) Are you telling me that in ten years, or however long it's been, only one new guy showed up? One new guy and Aurek? They were sitting right on top of Aurek! That doesn't count! The only other person to show up had a horse. Timmain really needs to let Skywise take a flying egg and go pick some people up. This is ridiculous.

Speaking of Skywise... he's cute without his head piece. Seriously. He's always been my favorite character-- but I honestly never realized he was cute before! I always thought Rayek (yes, Manga- Rayek) was the best looking male elf. But Skywise is not bad. He should never put that metal on his face again. I hope someone throws it away when he's not looking. Hmm... maybe Cutter.

Timmain shrank. I like that there is continuity here. There has been a lot of build up regarding the relationship between Timmain and Skywise. It's nice that we are going to get a pay off on that. At the same time, I was hoping he would meet a nice, new girl (presumably from the myriad elves that were expected to show up) and just recognize her already. But no. Well, I guess Timmain missed him after all. It's a nice gesture on her part. I like it. Would have liked a new girl better- but this is not bad.

Unlike what happened to Rayek.

Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 am

Yeah, there was no explanation for the gathering of Chiefs. It was just suddenly a thing. What for? Why did they call the gathering?
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:22 am

I think Elfquest may be, very slowly, jumping the shark.

Things I like: that Korbashi (is that his name?) has a girlfriend now. Seeing the kids Ember took in all grown up and happy was a nice touch. Also-- that Ahdri made friends with Two Edge. That's a really nice alliance-- they could do great work together. Good thinking Treestump and Clearbrook!

Just a crazy thought, but maybe Ember and Teir could have that baby now?

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 6:34 am

They say Shuna would, without Leetah's help, be a really old woman, but her son doesn't seem to be that old. Let's say she was about 30 when she had her child (rather younger), then she would now be about 60? Even this would be old by the assumed standards of this world, she has the help of the elves to stay fit "normally". And 60 was old but not unimaginably old in medieval times.

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 10:48 am

There's something wrong with my app, I've tried shutting it down, I've tried restarting my tablet, it won't let me buy the issue. I don't have a lot of time these days for anything, so it's really irritating me.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 am

Oh who am I kidding? Elfquest jumped the shark when they split it into a dozen different titles and handed them to various artists (who mostly couldn't draw) and writers (who mostly appeared to have never read an issue of Elfquest before trying to write one). But I thought Wendy would rescue it with some beautiful last hurrah. I like the art in this a lot. The whole issue, storywise, is just awkward though. Oh well. Maybe it gets better?

Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 10:57 am

Haven't read it yet, but it appears that my prediction about Winnie and Ray became an unfortunate truth. While it can be argued that this is in line with his possessive character, it's really just a lazy bit of retconning and mean spirited on top of that. Not sure if I will buy this book, I'm just really tired of all the negative emotions and frustration and the lack of enjoyment I get out of this. It all seems to lack, well, love.

And slowly jumping the shark? That shark has had so much time it has turned into a fossil by now. Kahvi

Last edited by Elwing on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am

How long must we wait for it to get better though? We're at issue 10 already.

I've realised what Aurek's suit is made from - it's crafted from the bitter tears of disappointed fans...
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:06 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
They say Shuna would, without Leetah's help, be a really old woman, but her son doesn't seem to be that old. Let's say she was about 30 when she had her child (rather younger), then she would now be about 60? Even this would be old by the assumed standards of this world, she has the help of the elves to stay fit "normally". And 60 was old but not unimaginably old in medieval times.

Shuna was as old as thirty when she had her kid? I thought she was in her twenties... It can't have been more than three years between 'Discovery' and Shuna's baby being born. And it wasn't long between 'Searcher and the Sword' and 'Discovery'. Wasn't Shuna about eighteen in 'Searcher and the Sword'?

Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:06 am

Lunakat wrote:
Re: Aurek... he cut the tattered remains of clothing from decomposing glider bodies and stitched it together. That's my guess.

LOL! I totally read that as "Aurek... he cut the tattered remains from decomposing glider bodies and stitched it together". Now that is a mental image I could do without! I needed a bit of morbid levity, thanks! Zhantee
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:08 am

It has been at least forty years since though... hasn't it?

A bitter fan wrote:
I've realised what Aurek's suit is made from - it's crafted from the bitter tears of disappointed fans...
Leetah Crying

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:10 am

Some truly twisted person wrote:
Lunakat wrote:

LOL! I totally read that as "Aurek... he cut the tattered remains from decomposing glider bodies and stitched it together". Now that is a mental image I could do without! I needed a bit of morbid levity, thanks! Zhantee

Smile  Yes, or that.

kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:13 am

I think it's probably a case of writers not being able to do math.

This issue sounds really disappointing, tbh.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:13 am

I think it's probably a case of writers not being able to do math.

This issue sounds really disappointing, tbh.

Oops! Sorry about the double post!

Last edited by kathleen3.0 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am

Lunakat wrote:

Shuna was as old as thirty when she had her kid? I thought she was in her twenties... It can't have been more than three years between 'Discovery' and Shuna's baby being born. And it wasn't long between 'Searcher and the Sword' and 'Discovery'. Wasn't Shuna about eighteen in 'Searcher and the Sword'?

That's my point, Shuna can't be that old and they talk as if she'd be dust and bones weren't it not for Leetah's magic.

For me, the most disappointment is, that almost nothing happens in Future Quest, it seems to drag. In OQ, by issue #10 Cutter reunited with his family and Nightfall/Redlance in the forevergreen. And there is no difference in the number of pages

Elwing wrote:
LOL! I totally read that as "Aurek... he cut the tattered remains from decomposing glider bodies and stitched it together".
Me too ^^
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:
Lunakat wrote:

That's my point, Shuna can't be that old and they talk as if she'd be dust and bones weren't it not for Leetah's magic.

A lot of writers make the mistake of thinking that the "average" lifespans of the past are the absolute extent of that possibility. I know people that I absolutely respect who will tell me, completely straightfaced, that the people were expected to die in their thirties in the medieval period. That simply isn't true. It's an average, based on the rate of infant mortality and a few other factors, skewing the average age of death way down.

When Leetah does her thing with Shuna, Shuna looks like a person in her sixties. In fact, based on the age that Shuna probably gave birth to her son and his age when the procedure takes place, she probably wasn't much older than forty, at the most. I'd have said about thirty-six, but my math is probably off.

About forty years has passed since the wave dancer debacle, afaik, so Shuna, having beaten the lottery and made it past the age of twelve(thanks to Leetah) would probably be an elderly, happy granny at this point. Possibly at the current point there would be cause to have concern for her death, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:11 pm

I saw some of the kerfuffle here this morning and stopped reading when I saw Lunakat say she was offended on my behalf (very sweet of you, Luna, thank you!).  I wanted to go in warned but fresh.

So I've just now finished.

For the non-Rayek portion, I'm enjoying seeing Shenshen in her new element and glad she seems to be doing well.  I wonder why Skywise needed to fill the pod with saltwater for Snakeskin when the next page clearly shows him out-of-water and just fine... maybe he needed someone from the Palace to tweak him a bit before he could do that, though.  (It's also fun to see Freetouch's smitten gaze.)

I personally dislike this "naked" look Venka and the Sun Folk are wearing.  It just looks sleazy.  If she wants 'em to be naked like Timmain, then let them be naked.  Venka will be shortly anyway, as I'm sure that thing will disintegrate the first time she encounters a branch or thorns.

I also really like the alliance with Two-Edge, Ahdri, Treestump and Clearbrook. Surprising indeed! Also gratifying.

Dre-Ahn is interesting.  Visually he reminds me a lot of Rayek and I wonder if there's any connection (beyond, of course, my personal obsession).

I'm rather disgusted that after all that wait, the story completely fails to deliver more than what's already on the cover.

Rayek-wise:

Well, it's no WORSE than I feared.  For now.  MMMMaybe there is still time in the story for this to be fixed, somehow.  

But I'll say this: I think shit of rest of the elves for LETTING Rayek keep Winnowill unhealed and prisoner.  This is taking the idea of respect for other's choices too damn far.  They are now complicit in Winnowill's suffering.

And that joke about Petalwing is a false note. Not only inappropriate but inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Looks like Khorbasi's girlfriend is Tingeh (Sp?), the burned girl. She looks like a grown version of her, along with the other two humans they saved.

I'm fairly disappointed with this issue, I don't want to be negative or anything, but the Rayek thing was really silly and damages credibility. As others have mentioned, it all seems very out of character for him. He walks out a moment later and it's like, oh well, carry on! Just so sad how sloppily this storyline is being treated.

Something rather heavy-handed this time, with expository dialogue taking up almost every single page. With exceptions of some minor scenes, we're just covering old ground all over again with pretty pictures.
I can't get over how awkward the writing is though, there weren't really any scenes with extended dialogue. I like that Moonshade came back in her leathers to spend a season with Strongbow, but I'd like to know what made her decide. It's kind of a big deal and they've been building toward her leaving for some time. Suddenly she's back in her leathers to stay longer and yet no time's taken to show why?!
The only part I really like is Shenshen with the humans, thriving.
I don't understand what the point is of bringing in the trolls. Even though I love them, it just seems weird to suddenly bring them in.
The Skywise/Timmain scene at the end was kind of meh.

I don't know, I might stop reading altogether at this point, there's not been much to really sink my teeth into for awhile, and yes, it is dragging, as Miss Gillespie says. I keep wanting the story to have more depth but it doesn't, and while 30 pages doesn't cover a lot of ground, it's still enough to build tension and some kind of suspense, and I just don't feel there's much of it.

5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Stargazer wrote:
How long must we wait for it to get better though? We're at issue 10 already.

Hehe. I love this

Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Can someone tell me what the story is? And who the main characters are? Because we are 10 issues into this and I can't come up with more than "Various people moving around and talking to various other people, about possibly leaving the planet or not while just going on with life (or death)"?
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah, I think this is the problem, Elwig... things seem to be getting very muddled. I hate to say it, but I've always felt the palace was sort of the culprit and has become something of a detriment to the storyline as it came more tied into the fate of the elves.
There was usually a focus on elves as individuals and their own story lines, and that's been sorely lacking for some time. Now it's the palace which is a character itself, and it's not a very consistent one either. It's cool when it's a vehicle for bringing back characters like Kahvi to 'speak', and showing how it has direct impact on elves' lives - like with Tier, and Moonshade/Strongbow with Crescent, etc....
One thing which I felt would've been interesting is to show Timmain's tie to the palace through her eyes. Sort of dedicate one of the issues to that. There's so many high ones she knew in there, it would be great, I think, to show its impact on her. And even on Savah. As it is, there's not been much to fuel the story along of anyone IN the palace, really.

Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 3:59 pm

If it's a set up comic, it's not working for most people. The entire arc is too slow, confusing, contradicts past characterization and events, skips over necessary narrative, relies too much on either show or tell, but doesn't strike a balance between either.

I like Dre-Ahn. It's nice to finally get another person of colour in the comic, but a voiceless person, who can't speak, or send, just sing? Um, okay. Whatever works for you, Wendy.

I feel like time that could have been spent with the Wavedancers, who are FINALLY doing things, or learning how Ember's tribe is integrating with their human compatriots, or about Dre-Ahn, the Tree People, about how the Sun Folk are integrating with the Go Backs, or even about how Picknose came to make his decision, are being skipped over. And there's not much pay off. What we do get in return is shallow and ponderous.

As far as Rayek, ugh. Look, I'm not going to say it's entirely against character, if you take a very shallow reading of the character. However, in reality, the Pinis supposedly spent issues after KOBTW developing said character, humbling him. This takes him back to before KOTBW and it's basically senseless.

I could buy Rayek in SABM being that arrogant and possessive. I have no problem seeing him do this in KOTBW. I have a great deal of difficulty buying this post-KOTBW, except that the Pinis seem to be willing to do character resets and redesigns whenever they feel like it.

As far as the whole Timmain/Skywise thing, whatever. They're both kind of boring and self important, so as far as I'm concerned, good for them. I didn't need that much time wasted on it.

Announcing a gathering of chiefs could have taken as few panels as Leetah and Cutter's conversation, which was one of the few moments in this issue with actual poignancy and depth. I'm losing patience with the art, and the writing. I'll maybe feel better tomorrow, but I'm not here for it today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #10   5 - Final Quest #10 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #10
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next