Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

call me resentful...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

call me resentful... Empty
Postcall me resentful...

...but I need to get this out of my mind.

Redhead Ember wrote:
I don't see any reason to create such a fuss about this, from either side.
Sure, going so much into rant-mode over a doll is silly, even childish, but we all have our weird little dislikes. Why should Wendy be any different? She's just human.
Wendy is human. She can have strong dislikes and express them for sure! It's the tone that put me off immediately. This unrestrained raging that seems so common on FB. Not professional. Not appropriate from one artist about the art/craftswork of another. Even worse because it was worded very carefully - with deliberation.

And ... admittedly it's rather personal in my case.

Two years ago I've written THIS on the SoC ... not well considered, rash, acting injustly ... I'm not proud of it. Months later Mr. Pini addressed this in another thread (which I cannot find anymore) and demanded a further explanation.

Well ... I've explained the mood I dealt with back at that time, that I have immediately regreted to "snap" at Shadowfire this way ... and apologized again.
I was told that I "miss the fine tones" and that I "should have thought about it (the initial post) two times, three times, ten times before posting".

Some time later in the "What have you discovered today" thread I used the term "less than happy" when I tried to explain something to a tribemate. (I simple was too tired to look up the term for "verwundert" = puzzled ... and didn't think it was of importance anyway. I got this:
"When Seastorm contacted me she was, as you said, puzzled. But that is different from her being "not too happy about it," which implies a negative feeling. That's why I replied to you here as I did. As a writer and editor I strive to be clear. I always appreciate it when people speak for themselves (as Seastorm did to me, and as you have done here), rather than hearing one person's interpretations about another person. It keeps things precise, and that is important in a social forum like this, where as the "top boss" I must always try to be fair to all."

Considering the need for a writer to be clear I figure that Wendy was absolute clear about what she wanted to express and how. Imagine my puzzlement ... I'd have never expected that I need to evoke mind pictures of "a dog lifting his leg" and learn terms like "sugar-glitter covered dog turd" to hit the fine tone!

... you should think she has a skilled editor handy ...

Last edited by Embala on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : I hate my typos!)
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

call me resentful... :: Comments

Lunakat
Re: call me resentful...
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm by Lunakat
Um... what happened? Where is the original rant? How did glittered covered turds even come up in the first place? What dolls?? I'm confused!
Embala
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:42 pm by Embala
Let it go... ... surprised that you've not noticed that thread ...
Lunakat
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:05 pm by Lunakat
Thanks. I made a couple of comments on that thread just now. I don't get why we should care what Wendy thinks of this doll-- or why any of us should feel resentful over her comments, since we aren't, any of us, the artist that designed that face. I actually thought Wendy might have insulted something Embala made-- which would really have pissed me off! But Disney is a major corporation that, frankly, does churn out a lot of crap sometimes just to make money. And Wendy strikes me as slightly naive on occasion, when it comes to the non-comic-book entertainment industry and related, consumer product type things- but I don't care because I love the comic she made (for the most part).
Kindredsoul
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:14 pm by Kindredsoul
This had nothing to do with Wendy's Elsa rant. I think Embala was pointing out the fact that Richard was blatantly pointing out to Em how words are interpreted during a discussion between her and Seastorm. The fact that Wendy's own words to this whole Elsa issue pretty much makes her (Wendy) OWN husband's editorial perspective a JOKE when he tries to imply it on his own fans over something that had nothing to do with him in the first place. Especially when he doesn't condone his wife's careless misuse of them. At least that's what I took from Em's blog. I applaud you pointing that out, Embala.
Embala
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:21 pm by Embala
It just evoked memories ... showed me how much the definition of "fine tones" can change. XD

I am resentful - couldn't get over those comments of RP for a long time. It was hard enough for me become active. To trust my wording, my language skills enough. And then ... well: I "missed the FINE tones". XD I was happy to find the right vocabulary and miss most of the usual sandtraps!

Guess I should have aquired a master degree in English before I dared to comment on threads on the official EQ forum. And Literature. And Graphic Arts. XD

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Embala
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:25 pm by Embala
Lunakat wrote:
I actually thought Wendy might have insulted something Embala made-- which would really have pissed me off!
Awww... you would have cared ... Shocked Now I feel flattered and sheepishly. Embarassed Thank you, Lunakat.
Embala
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:30 pm by Embala
Thanks, Kin. You got it right.

(It was a talk between Wolfie and me about Seastorm's issues to access the SoC after the second last switch ... where RP felt the need to "edit" my careless wording.)

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunakat
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:48 pm by Lunakat
Of course I cared! For what it's worth, of course I would have hated on the Pinis forever if they dissed anything you created. You rock, Embala! I'm glad I was wrong about that! Wink And yeah-- since we are remarking here and not on the official Elfquest page- I feel free to say that Richard could be a real dick on that forum at times. Not all the time-- but occasionally he pulled out a zinger. I'm not surprised he made those comments. I understand now why you are feeling resentful.

Wendy's comments don't bother me at all. I agree with Red that she has a right to her opinion. And she's always been emotional in how she expresses herself. But I can see why they would bother you, given the history and context.
Embala
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:03 pm by Embala
I'm honored, Lunakat. This words ... your appreciation ... means a lot to me. *hugs*
faeriegirl
Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 am by faeriegirl
I can only say "ditto to everything Luna and Kin said!" *hugs Em and Luna and Kin*
Tymber
Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 am by Tymber
RP has absolutely NO room to talk. NO ROOM AT ALL.

I could go on and on about how he attacked ME and blamed ME for "leaking the new forum" - and when I showed him it was HIS admins who turned on "notifications" and that when they replied to a thread to test it - it sent notifications to those subscribed - ONCE he saw that I was right (and this took a lot of emails to go back and forth for him to believe me despite me showing him the FROM coming from the ElfQuest Admin!) - he then said, "Well your temporary forum is a lightning rod! I now refuse to allow you to use any form of ElfQuest related, copyrighted or trademarked images or art and demand you take your forum down IMMEDIATELY." And I said that's fine, I will gladly comply. THEN, even though I agreed, he went on to write how he was surprised the KWGrazer had recommended me as a Preserver for the forum (because I always tried to be helpful, having fun about six of my own PHPBB forums back then), because I was a Don Juan and a pervert (because how I flirted on the forums back then). And I said, "I understand. When KWGrazer brought that up - about my flirting (and that some people I flirted with jokingly were underage) to me, I deleted all my posts in that thread to correct my own action." And then he CONTINUED to berate me.

Needless to say, I deleted all my posts on the ElfQuest forum and my account, because he refused to do so.
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 am by Lunakat
That's kind of creepy. He was stalking your posts on the forum? I remember joking with you-- but I don't remember excessive flirting. I mean-- maybe you did-- but it was a huge forum and a lot to read. Isn't it kind of weird that he was reading all that?
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 am by Lunakat
Is this the forum he insisted be taken down?

You know, you aren't the only person with a story like that, Tymber. After I sort of bowed out of the official forum, peopled started sending me emails and private messages about how they felt about that whole conversation...and also about interactions they had had with Mr. Pini. I was pretty sore about it at the time, so I had some resentment. I'm over it now.. I've thought about it since to try to understand what happened better.

My honest impression is that the Pinis are generationally older-- and they really don't seem to understand the internet that well. They also don't appear to understand how to be effective with social media. They have other people managing their facebook page for them now, and their website (or what's left of it)-- I'm pretty sure of that. It looks to me as if the website was created using a template-- which may be part of why they deactivated the forum (the template may not have allowed for it)... though the timing was pretty suspicious.

Combine that with the fact that they have a reputation for being very defensive of their intellectual property. That makes sense-- this is their lives' work. You'd probably be protective of it too if that were your scenario.

I think all of that just lends itself to overreaction. Or inappropriate reaction.

It's like when I was at my mom's house a few month's back-- and i asked if I could use her computer to check my email. She agreed. I did. All was well. Then- about an hour later- she called me up. She was angry and upset. She kept saying "What did you do? You broke my internet! You broke my email!"

I finally got out of her that what I had done was close the internet browser and sign out of her email. In her experience, whenever she turned on her computer, her email magically opened up for her. She didn't understand how or why that had stopped. And her internet browser would open to the card game she liked to play. I closed her browser and signed out of her email. She was convinced I had ruined her computer.

With Richard Pini, I think the same kind of thing is happening. He didn't understand, fully, how forums work. He didn't understand how his own website worked. And he made assumptions. And then, he freaked out.
Tymber
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 am by Tymber
Lunakat wrote:
Is this the forum he insisted be taken down?

Oh, no! I don't run this site! The forum I had created had ONE sole purpose - not sure if you remember - but the ElfQuest forum had been hacked twice - in about as many weeks. I had created a temp forum (hosted on one of my MANY websites - in this case, piratebooty.net) - and had the forum there. The banner at the top had that picture of Cutter speaking into a microphone, and I had edited it to say, "This is a temp ElfQuest forum!"

That was actually, the ONLY ElfQuest image I had used for the site.

Lunakat wrote:

You know, you aren't the only person with a story like that, Tymber. After I sort of bowed out of the official forum, peopled started sending me emails and private messages about how they felt about that whole conversation...and also about interactions they had had with Mr. Pini.

I wouldn't be surprised. I had let it go after steaming over it for awhile. But it gets me every time, knowing that others may have been verbally abused by him.

Lunakat wrote:

With Richard Pini, I think the same kind of thing is happening. He didn't understand, fully, how forums work. He didn't understand how his own website worked. And he made assumptions. And then, he freaked out.

You know what would have gone miles for me? An apology. That would have been it. To admit he was wrong, I had nothing to do with the forum leaking - before he went on to personally attack me.

It's disturbing to think he had issues with you as well, and especially Embala who is like one of the sweetest people in the world.
Nibblet
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:23 am by Nibblet
I was just called creepy for daring to help other people speak when they were too intimidated to do so on their own. The bloody cheek of me!
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 am by Lunakat
Who called you creepy, Nibs?
Nibblet
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 am by Nibblet
Rob
Nibblet
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm by Nibblet
now I'm not on my phone, I can explain a little bit! Rob was stalking this site, and I mean properly stalking. He made 3 accounts and would log in to the chatbox pretending to be someone else so he could get "information" to report back to RP. Yeah... seriously. WE knew who he was because  WE can see his IP and location. It's not as easy to hide online as you think it is. So this went on for a good long while, we're talking months here, and none of us said anything about it anywhere public. So when Rob called me creepy, in public on the scroll, because I asked for clarification on behalf of someone who didn't dare say anything to him because of his monster ego and attitude problem, I called him out on it. Creepy is not helping a fellow human being, creepy is pretending to be someone you're not to spy on people who don't lick arse the way you want. On top of being called creepy, he labelled me passive aggressive because I asked questions??? Yeah, someone needs to wind it in a bit and it isn't me! I'm not passive aggressive, I just don't take shit. This is why I'm "second warning admin", Kin is first because she is the most diplomatic of us three and has the talent to gently point out and guide people away from fucking up completely. If you get me, you're kinda in the shit. I will be the one saying "dude, you're being a dick. Stop it now" Oooooorrr, something similar followed by a telling off, Brit style. If you get Shaman, you need to run away and hide for about 3 decades. XD
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:46 pm by Lunakat
Nice, Nibs. Rob sounds like the creep. Making three fake accounts to spy on our forum? That's so obsessive and controlling. Like-- why do that? Who does that? Isn't he busy enough maintaining the main site and Facebook page? What gives?

If he wants to participate-- he should honestly participate. Be like-- Hey guys! I'm Rob-- remember me? And ask politely to join. I mean--- that's what we all did. But faking your identity is bizarre.

Also-- isn't he clever enough to just use another computer? He can't be that dense. Surely he goes to a job that has computers that he can log in through. Excuse me, but that's just not too bright of him.

What's he going to do with the information anyway? Is Richard Pini going to show up and tell us we can't talk about his comic book here either? Really? What could the point of this even be?
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm by Lunakat
Embala wrote:
Two years ago I've written THIS on the SoC ... not well considered, rash, acting injustly ... I'm not proud of it. Month later Mr. Pini addressed this in another thread (which I cannot find anymore) and demanded a further explanation.

You know, Embala-- there was nothing wrong with what you said there. It's perfectly okay. I don't think anyone should have had a problem with it.
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 pm by Lunakat
How did this ever happen? How did our childhood heroes go from being the amazing creators of a beautiful and insightful story, with gorgeous and cinematic illustrations, that promotes tolerance and understanding-- to the kind of people who are (to all outward appearance) so hyper defensive that they feel the need to police their fan base? There is some cognitive dissonance happening here for me.
G0lden
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:30 pm by G0lden
Lunakat wrote:
How did this ever happen? How did our childhood heroes go from being the amazing creators of a beautiful and insightful story, with gorgeous and cinematic illustrations, that promotes tolerance and understanding-- to the kind of people who are (to all outward appearance) so hyper defensive that they feel the need to police their fan base? There is some cognitive dissonance happening here for me.

Those wonderful creators are putting all of their eggs in one basket and Rob is holding the basket.  Not only sad but very scary.
Kindredsoul
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:38 pm by Kindredsoul
I was debating whether to dive into this or not, but I guess I'm still pretty resentful over what happened that I still have the need to vent, so here it goes.

It doesn't matter if someone uses another computer... It's the location (or tower) one uses that we can identify them with. Even going up the street doesn't make a difference because one is using the same tower for connection in their area. Which is why the IP is now banned.

As for WHY he did it, because there was some misconception going around after he made the changes to the Scrolls and then discovered the Father Tree site, that this site was *supposedly* made in competition. When it wasn't. We were here nearly 2 years before Rob came and changed the Scrolls. So suffice it to say, Rob did what he did here out of plain spite, and to hopefully gets tid bits against us to go back and post in the Scrolls in hopes to make us look like we're bad people and being mean to him.

Which he did. (refer to links I sent you in the past)

As for what Rob thought he would gain? Maybe it was pride? A control thing? Jealousy? Dunno, and don't care. But he found out pretty F%#@ing quick it would gain him nothing after Richard got involved. And Mr Pini found out I don't put up with little shitheadchildishassholes who try to lie and hurt MY tribe and family. Whether they work for the Pinis or not.

PERIOD.

As for the Pinis and why they appear the way they are now? I do agree that this "newer side" we're all seeing is due to the fact of social media. (and lack of knowledge as you said, Luna) We've never seen much of the Pini's personal side in the past because they refrained from the scrolls. They found it "unfriendly" for some screwed up reason.

If you ever wanted to see/talk to them, you wrote a letter or went to a comicon. Now, with Facebook, they're by far easily accessible than ever before. I just think they lack the sense of public relations to know how to better handle themselves with the public, and especially with criticism from fans and elsewhere. If they ever got a bad review from a fan in the mail, they could just throw it away and no one would be the wiser. Only the praising letters got published in their comic releases. That was their control.

NOW, fans who post on a web page/FB... it's for all eyes to see and they're not used to that. They're NOW learning that they can only "control" so much, where in the past, they never had to worry about it AS much.
To the point, the snarling side shows that we, as fans, haven't seen so much before back in the day.
But hey... that's just my oPINIon...

What matters is that we're left to share here as much as we like here in Father Tree without the childish trolling.
#tiddyrantoverdonottfuckwithmytribe
Lunakat
Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:28 pm by Lunakat
Wow Kin-- i think you pretty much summed it up.

I really do think it comes down to this:
Kindredsoul wrote:
I just think they lack the sense of public relations to know how to better handle themselves with the public,

That's part and parcel with not being internet savvy. They don't get the point of forums (otherwise, they would not have participated in the way they did. They would just have made an odd comment or two and posted news updates), and they don't seem to really grasp public image that well. It would be a lot more graceful of them to just refrain from commenting sometimes. Or think about how to phrase a comment. But Wendy is probably like any of us-- it's easy to post something in the heat of the moment and have it instantly published online, given all the various platforms. i've done that myself-- and regretted it. Actually, that conversation with Richard was an example. I don't regret most of what I said, except-- I logged back in that morning to change the "are you so insecure that you can't handle a very slight criticism from obvious longtime fans?" comment. I realized that he would focus on that to the exclusion of all else-- to avoid the rest of the conversation. By the time I rethought it, he had already read that line and jumped on it.

But that kind of self restraint comes with experience-- and after a lot of bloopers. And she may not have the experience. She's only just begun using social media as a public forum.

Me-- I'm just glad I'm not a public figure!

As for Rob-- I just don't get it. That's such strange behavior. But then, this is a guy that regularly dresses up as Pike, so...
Post  by Sponsored content

call me resentful...

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next