Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grab bag August 2015

Go down 
+8
Tymber
Embala
Nightsea
TrollHammer
manga
Redhead Ember
Lunakat
Kindredsoul
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manga

manga

1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Just everything important. Rayek Devil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm

I've considered Rayek as well Wink ... and Door/Dodia to some extent.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 7:41 pm

"From Fire To Home" (c) Tawmis

There was a fire
Famished, it fed upon the forest
I called home.

I found a new home, barren but full of life.
When I saw her, a vision of beauty
She took my breath away.

We had children, and soon I left to see my old home.
I was bitten, and sick
Had fevered visions, and of all the people to help me,
It was humans.

Then I met another, like me, but taller
The black snake wove her words like a spider
Her eyes were filled with fury and resentment.

From there, I found my new home
A palace
Brought here from times long gone.

Last edited by Tymber on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 1:40 am

Redhead Ember wrote:
Not everything is about Rayek, y'know. Rayek Devil

It is if you ask him... Rolling Eyes

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 11:39 pm

I thought I would answer best my very own way, Tymber. Your last poem was inspiring!

From Fire To Home

1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Fromfi10

*whispers* ... Will there be a Stonehowl tale for this month too?

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Embala wrote:
I thought I would answer ber my very own way, Tymber. Your last poem was inspiring!
From Fire To Home
1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 FromFireToHome
*whispers* ... Will there be a Stonehowl tale for this month too?

That is amazing how well that image fits!

As for Stonehowl, I am sure there will be. (Work is entirely too hectic these days to write during work!) And the last few weeks for me having been consumed working on my D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) campaign I now run! But still have 21 days for the folks of Stonehowl to speak to me and demand that their monthly segment be written! Smile

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Embala wrote:
I thought I would answer best my very own way, Tymber. Your last poem was inspiring!

From Fire To Home

1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 FromFireToHome

Is there any way we could replace the current Final Quest staff with you and a few other fans, Embala? We could start the series over again with this as the cover of #1, and have something worth spending time staring at! Freaking awesome!

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 1:59 pm

He could almost feel like he was home.

It was moons-dark tonight, a time when the cursed ‘mother and daughter’ moons decide to take a break and leave the night’s sky to the stars. The canopy of the forest hid those, though, and the cool night air held barely the slightest breath of a breeze. Grubfinder could almost close his eyes and believe he was hauling a cart of ore through the caves of home.

This was rapidly becoming the truth, in a way. This slug-poking forsaken forest was slowly becoming his home, and his load was indeed valuable material destined for great purpose. He was even starting to enjoy himself to a small degree.

He smirked as he drug his block of stone just enough to one side of the path to silence a singing cicada-like insect. He felt the crunch of the creature’s body grinding into the dirt in his toes, even over the twig-snaps and scattering pebbles the block also made in the process. He had made a game of it: this time of the year the night was still and quiet except for these horribly annoying bugs, screaming out to be silenced. He had become quite adept at ensure his path took out as many of these creatures he could, just to see if he could return down the path in silence.

The path was smooth and flat at this point, worn this way by the years he had spent dragging blocks of stone to the wall. The wall itself was nearing completion, and to a degree his thoughts about returning to the tunnels underground had changed from longing to loathing. Here, he was respected and treated well, had plenty to eat, and was hardly ever picked on outside of the friendly trash talk with his fellow exiles. While he hated the surface, he was finding that he hated the conditions he had lived in underground even more, now that he had a taste of good treatment.

The dawn was starting to break, though, and though he managed to pass back down through the path two or three times that night in nearly cave-like silence, the dawn’s bird-calls obliterated his ability to dream of a world with stone over his head being paired with a job worth doing. The feathered fiends drove the spikes into his peace and quiet, needlessly reminding him where he was, and that he had another job to do.

He didn’t have enough time for another block before daylight, so he made his way back to his room to grab some food and his hat, a round, wide, domed thing made of straw that kept his shoulders from burning and helped him hear farther than without it. The Elves were already lazily snoring away in their dens as he passed by, and he thought he could hear one muttering something in their sleep about hunting some beast that never ran out of meat. He rolled his eyes and made his way out to today’s lookout post.

Quite some time ago, shortly after he had gotten used to how things worked, the Trolls had finally committed to a second plan of action. Without telling the Elves, they constructed small seats at the top of the walls at the completed corners, and would take turns watching for the Suncoil. They would gather as much information about the creature as they could in the morning, then come back and share what they had learned with the others before bedding down for the rest of the day. They were all unenthusiastic about the job, but agreed that more needed to be done to make sure the creature was completely dealt with when the time came, and to find some reason that the King spent so much effort to contain something that shouldn’t affect those underground.

One particularly disturbing thing they had discovered was that the creature seemed to stop existing when it passed through a shadow. Dross had noted that the delicate strands spun by a spider under a tree had not been disturbed after the beast had been seen blundering through. Though they hardly dared to question the project, especially this near to completion, they found themselves questioning whether or not the wall would, indeed, have any effect on the creature.

Grubfinder settled in at his post for the morning and began ‘listening for silence’. He was the best of the group at this: trying to detect the telltale signs that the Suncoil was passing by through the silence of the forest creatures in its wake. He had spent some time of late trying to figure out how the animals could tell the thing was coming and fall silent, when didn’t seem to make any noise or vibration while it walked. It did not seem to brush against anything it passed, and the multitude of soft feet distributed the weight out to minimize footfalls. Even to this day, the rare sighting seemed to make the hair on his arms stick up as he watched it pass in silence. He cocked his head to the side to block the anticipated sunrise with his hat, and noted Braids leaving the wall.

He had been concerned the first time he’d seen her leave on one of her rare ‘daylight hunting trips’, but it seemed that risking her life to be out in the forest with the Suncoil a few times each season settled her self-doubts and moodiness, and she was always back by nightfall. He wasn’t sure if she knew he or the others were there, but she never said anything about the Trolls sneaking around on the wall-tops, and none of the Trolls ever mentioned her leaving, it all seemed to be a topic that was left alone for whatever reason. To be honest, Grubfinder could care less about Elf social dynamics and superstitions, so he more looked at the events as an amusing game to see if she would show back up after he saw her leave, and remain unnoticed by her at the same time.

And besides, she usually brought back some fine meat from her hunts, so what was there to complain about?

The sun broke the horizon and he hissed as the area lit up and stung his eyes. This was something to complain about.

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 1:06 am

• Fire
• A spider
• A vision
• Spinning
• Resentful

=========== August 2015 Grab Bag ===========
NOTE: This chapter is dedicated to Nightsea for the Doll that she made of Clouddreamer, giving a character who was nothing more but a background (Foxhair’s mother) new life. The vision she created inspired the idea that this month’s Grab Bag HAD to be about her somehow. You can check out Nightsea’s dolls of Clouddreamer and MANY others here: https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t138p60-elfquest-dolling-thread#top

This, I feel, emotional piece, was written while listening to the DRAGONHEART sound track, mainly the song “FINALE” which can be heard here if you don’t have it (and recommended listening to it on repeat as you read this really long grab bag!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEzy8_67VmU

This one was very emotional to write. And something I did - the elements are repeated in all three segments (with Foxhair, then with Balgar, then with Shadow).

The chilling breeze of winter found its way inside the cavern that Shadow and the others had taken cover in. No one spoke, instead, each sat staring into nothingness, each of their minds thinking something different; yet all connected to the tragedy that they had just endured.

Shadow had been sitting on the cold stone floor, his knees pulled close to his chest, his arms wrapped around his legs, as if that were the only thing holding him together. Curled around his back, Foxhair laid there, her eyes closed, trying to shut out the visions of her child being struck by an arrow while in her arms, fleeing from the Frost Men.

Foxhair sought the warmth of Shadow’s body, but even he seemed cold, disconnected. She closed her eyes as she felt the stinging of tears forming on her eyes, the chilling winds biting. Somewhere between silently sobbing for the child who would never grow up to be their own person, Foxhair drifted off to sleep finally.

Clouddreamer smiled at her children. “Stormcreek, Foxhair, you must pay attention!”

Their mother was stunning. With her long, auburn hair was woven into braids, and looped to the top of her head, giving her an elegant, sophisticated look. She wore a headband that she herself had woven and created to hold her braids in place. Her green eyes, as everyone had always told her, were like the meadows after a good rain; so glowing, so beautiful and so full of life. She wore bear furs over her shoulders, over her strapped, lavender colored shirt, which she had dyed using dreamberries. Her pants were long, covering her entire legs, in a darker lavender color, also dyed from dreamberry extract.

Stormcreek shook his head, “Mother, I know all of this! I know about the humans!”

Banetricker, the father of Stormcreek and Foxhair, and loving soul mate of Clouddreamer, and one of the best hunters of the tribe, leaned against the tree. “You may think you know,” his stern voice was always the same; Banetricker never relaxed. Ever. He was a complete contradiction to his loving soul mate who was very relaxed, very kind, very social. Many at Stonehowl often said, the only thing he and Clouddreamer had in common was their love for one another, and their green eyes.

“It’s not just the humans you have to be aware of,” Clouddreamer smiled at her anxious children. “When you bond with a wolf – you must also be conscious of the mother of the cubs. These are her cubs. She will be protective of them if she feels you are not right for them.”

As she led her daughter and son, with her soul mate behind them, they suddenly halted as they grew nearer to the wolf den. Clouddreamer extended her hand, silently signaling the other to be quiet. Banetricker quickly slipped his bow over his shoulder and moved ahead, moving as quietly and quickly as the wind. He looked at the ground then looked to his soulmate. Large, clawed prints were in the mud next to the stream.

{This… looks like bear tracks, but it’s not… these claw marks are bigger,} he sent to Clouddreamer. {Headed for the wolf’s den.}

Clouddreamer looked back at her two children, who, until a moment ago could not contain their excitement at the opportunity to finally meet with their potential wolf bonds.

{What is it mother?} Foxhair sent to her mother.

{A bear has gotten the scent of blood from freshly born wolf cubs,} her mother’s sending was sad. Foxhair did not need her to say more.

{We must help the wolf! The cubs will be killed! The mother too!} Foxhair sent urgently to both her mother and father.

{No,} Banetricker’s stern sending was just the same as when he spoke. Strong. Firm. {This is the path of nature. If the mother is strong enough, she will defend her cubs. Or at least the strongest cubs will emerge from what is to come.}

“You can’t be serious!” Foxhair hissed, resentment bursting through his voice. “How many times have the wolves been there to save us? Where was ‘the path of nature’ then? When they howl and warn us of humans approaching? Where? I will not stand idly by!”

Stormcreek didn’t say a word, but gave chase after his sister. Clouddreamer looked concerned at her soul mate. {They have your blood, and your stubbornness!} And with that, the two of them gave chase to their own children.

When they arrived; it was a horrific scene. It was not a large bear that had caught the scent of blood; but another beast all together, one that they had never seen before, but generations before spoke of – a beast they called ‘Bloodfang.’ The large, furry creature resembled a large bear; but the claws on its front paws were much larger than any claw on any bear seen before; they almost protruded from its paws like small swords. Rather than normal teeth, this creature had massive fangs, like a tooth-cat that could be found in the plains not too far outside of the woods. The wolf mother was already dead; her carcass nearly shredded to pieces, her entrails spread around the den’s entrance like a spider’s web. Six of the seven cubs were clearly also dead, their corpses splashed around the outside of the den like reckless decoration. This creature killed not for hunger or need, but merely to kill for the sake of killing. What had made this even stranger – standing between this massive beast of fury and death was a young human boy, no older than their own children, holding a torch, spinning the flames in circles, to keep Bloodfang at bay. The furious creature seemed to dislike fire and roared repeatedly, seeking to kill the final cub of the wolf mother.

Though the young human boy faced down against death, trying to defend the wolf, he refused to back down. Even as Bloodfang swung its massive claws and ripped into the young boy’s chest, the boy rose again, clasping his chest with one hand, holding the torch in the other, shouting at the beast in the human tongue.

When the boy had finally managed to burn the beast’s matted fur, though barely, Bloodfang reared back and quickly turned and left.

“High Ones,” Foxhair muttered softly, “I have never seen such courage.”

“We should kill the boy,” Banetricker whispered, pulling out his bow. “He’s too close to our holt.”

“No,” Clouddreamer said, placing her hand on her soulmate’s hand. “Wait.”

The young human picked up the sole, surviving wolf and cradled it in his arms. The boy wept into the young cub’s fur. Though he had saved the wolf, he knew he could not take the wolf cub back to his tribe; they would kill the beast for the wild animal that it was. Yet, if he left it here, it was too young to care for itself; it would starve or another predator would come along eventually and find it.

“We should go,” Banetricker said, turning then noticing that Foxhair was nowhere to be found.

He turned immediately and saw that she had jumped out of the trees and was approaching the human boy, who now stood up, alarmed to see a ‘demon’ approaching him. But there was no fear in the boy’s eyes. As a matter of fact, there was immense relief.

The boy smiled. “Baleric tevan shellaugh?”

Foxfire did not speak the tongue of humans, but the way the boy was extending the young wolf cub towards her, she understood what he had said – he was asking her to take the wolf. Though she was a demon to him; he knew that the demons of the woods also rode on wolves, and that if there was anyone who could care for this young wolf cub, it would be these demons. Foxhair extended her arms and the human boy put the wolf cub in her arms. He seemed proud, happy, that he had stood up for the wolf cub against such a foul beast; and more happy now, that despite the tragic loss of its family, the wolf cub would have another family to raise it now.

“Pala deliana furlough,” the boy smiled, and turned and ran into the woods. The young wolf cub licked Foxhair’s face, and cuddled deep into her neck, unaware of the travesty that had befallen its family; it only sensed great, deep, appreciative love from the one who held her now.

When they returned back to the holt, the young wolf cub had clearly grown very attached to Foxhair, believing she was its mother. After Foxhair and Stormcreek shared their story, Shadeseeker, Shadow’s father approached her and said, “You mentioned that the human said something to you?”

“Yes,” Foxhair nodded her head emphatically. “But I don’t know the human tongue. I don’t know what he said.”

“Could you repeat the words?” Shadeseeker asked, having spent many years learning the human tongue, in hopes of better understanding them. He taught his son, Shadow, the human tongue, hoping one day, to be able to speak to the humans and put aside their hatred for one another.

“First he said something like, ‘Baleric tevan shellaugh’,” Foxhair explained.

Shadeseeker smiled, “He asked you if you would take this wolf cub into your heart.”

“Before he left,” Foxfire continued, “he said, ‘Pala deliana furlough.’”

“He said, ‘Thank you, my name is Elk,” Shadeseeker translated the words.

Foxhair looked at the dark brown wolf and held it up high, “I will call you Elkheart,” she smiled, “Named after the human who saved you, because he had a wonderful heart.”

That had been Foxhair’s first and only wolf bond. She loved it dearly. She often returned back to the site of the den, where Elkheart’s family had been slain; and after several years, the wolf began to understand. Foxhair had come here to pay her respect to her wolf’s family, but she had also hoped to one day, reintroduce the human who saved the wolf cub – so that he could see the magnificent wolf that Elkheart had grown up to be, because of the human boy’s courage to stand up to a murderous beast.

Foxhair suddenly woke from her dream. She looked to her side and Shadow was not there. She looked around the cave, frantically, not seeing him anywhere. “Where is Shadow?” She yelled.

Stillbreeze sat up, “He said he was going out in the snow. Clear his head. He was feeling confined.”

“Oh no,” Foxhair whispered, and quickly got to her feet and ran outside of the cave.

Elsewhere, not far…

Balgar was hidden, peering through the brush, like gazing through a spider’s web. Inside the cave just ahead, he could see his only son, Buren, making a fire, trying to keep the inside of the cave warm, not only for himself, but an infant demon spawn he rescued from the burning bodies of the victims. That same demon child was the reason he was now exiled from the tribe, who celebrated their victory over the demons not too far away.

Their shaman priestess, Sherala, follower of the human being that lit the sun every morning, Kuraul, had a vision and had convinced Balgar, spinning her words in a manner that she had convinced Balgar, Chief of the Frost Men, to leave his son to decide on killing the demon cub and returning to the tribe, or watching the demon cub die slowly, knowing that Buren would never be able to provide for it, and that Buren would come crawling back to his father, begging to be let back into the tribe, and feeling that he had been foolish and dishonored his father, he would be much easier to manipulate, now forever seeking to gain his father’s approval and forgiveness. But watching his son, Balgar grew even more resentful of his son, who cradled the demon spawn close to his body, using his own body heat to try and keep it warm. Balgar snarled, and quietly returned to the celebration with his men, though he did not celebrate with them.

Unbeknownst to Balgar, someone else was watching his son. Green eyes, normally associated with the blooming green fields of the plains, now were green with envy, hatred and resentment. Shadow’s gaze were locked on the young human boy in the cave, holding something. It didn’t matter what he was holding – he wore the clothing of the Frost Men.

Shadow would do what the Frost Men had done to him and his tribe. He had a vision; he would go in, slaughter the boy, cut him, and let him bleed out and die, then throw his carcass into the center of the Frost Men’s celebration, as retribution for killing not only his cub – but his tribe, and their cubs as well. A fire so deep and burning consumed Shadow. The boy would be an easy kill, the way a spider devours a fly that had been ensnared within its spun, silken web.

Shadow did not hide his approach. He stepped out from the brush, and with firm, quick strides, sword in hand he approached the cave. The boy saw a figure, assumed it was his father, until he saw that the figure was thin, and he knew it was one of the demons. He stepped forward, extended his hand, excitedly and said, “Baleric duras shellaugh?”

But Shadow did not stop. He did not listen to the human’s words. Instead he grabbed the human boy by the back of his head and plunged his sword deep into the boy’s chest. The boy let out a gasp, his eyes wide, as he stared beyond the cave.

At that moment, Shadow saw what was behind the boy. Shadow’s eyes were now wide, as he felt the boy’s warm blood soaking his hand; and behind the boy, Snowspring, his daughter coo’ed at the sight of her father. Shadow’s jaw opened. “No.” He whispered. “High Ones. No.” He pulled the blade out of the young boy, who was now clasping the wound on his chest.

“Perudoa del fera,” the boy choked.

Shadow now, brought back to his senses, understood the boy. He had said, “I am not angry. I understand what you’ve done and why.”

Shadow shook his head. Now, in hindsight he understood what the boy said as he entered the cave, “Will you take this child into your heart?”

At that moment, Foxhair burst into the cave and slid next to the human boy, placing her hand on the child’s chest. She looked at Shadow. “What have you done?”

Shadow looked at Foxhair, then to his cub, then back to Foxhair. “The human… he was… taking care of our cub.”

After a moment he looked at her, “How? How are you here so quickly?”

“My mother,” Foxhair replied. “I had a dream about her – a memory.” Just then Stream came into the cave and placed her hand on the human boy’s chest.

“I brought her with me,” Foxhair answered Shadow’s unspoken question. Shadow dropped his sword and picked up his cub.

He turned to Stream. “You have to save the human.”

“I’m trying,” Stream screamed at Shadow.

Foxhair stood up and embraced Shadow and Snowspring. “What have I done,” Shadow repeated over and over. “What have I done…”

TO BE CONTINUED!

Special Appearances in this Grab Bag:

Stormcreek – (Male, Soul Name: Dos, brother of Foxhair) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Scouter) – Wolf Beast: Seaspring (Grey Wolf, Deceased)

Banetricker – (Male, Soul Name: Pren, Father of Stormcreek and Foxhair) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Hunter) – Wolf Beast: Manchaser

Clouddreamer – (Female, Soul Name: Urie, Mother of Stormcreek and Foxhair) – Auburn Hair, Green Eyes (Tanner) – Wolf Beast: Never Bonded

REGULAR SURVIVING STONE HOWL:

Shadow (Male Soul Name: Tyru) – Black Hair, Tanned, Green Eyes (Elder brother to Purespring, Chief) –
Wolf Beast: Mooneyes – (Black Wolf, White Eyes)
Foxhair (Female Soul Name: Loun) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Hunter) – Wolf Beast: Elkheart (Dark
Brown/Black Wolf)
Snowspring (Female, Soul Name: Tylo – Black Hair, Green Eyes) – No Wolf Beast, Infant. Daughter of Shadow and Foxhair.
Spearclaw (Male, Soul name: Lren) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Scout)
Vineweaver (Male Soul Name: Reyk) – Auburn Hair, Blue Eyes (Tree shaper, Soul Mate of Stillbreeze,
Plant Shaper) – Wolf Beast: Creekhunter (Dark Grey Wolf)
Stillbreeze (Female Soul Name: Hewl) – Brown Hair, Brown Eyes (Soul Mate of Vineweaver, Tanner) –
Wolf Beast: Silvermane (Silver Wolf, female)
Echo (Male Soul Name: Ayav) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver, Magic) – Wolf
Beast: Talonmist (Grey Wolf, Deceased)
Windfetcher (Female Soul Name: Burm) – Auburn Hair, Brown Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver,
Next Potential Chief… If She Has Her Way!) - Wolf Beast: None, formerly Glimmer
Stream (Female Soul Name: Vree) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Healer) – Wolf Beast: Callbreaker (White
Wolf, Deceased)
Snowcloud (Female, Soul Name: Mill) – White Hair, Green Eyes (based off white lions)

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Ah, Dark yet hopeful... if there was ever a good way to turn Shadow from his self consuming path, this would be one. I will be eagerly waiting to see what happens next month!

I do need to go back and read the old stories, but I wonder if they will see your beast again. Doesnt seem as persistant as Madcoil was, my mental image is almost more of a natural mutation with a very large roaming territory, being seen relatively rarely.

I would have thought Buren (or Berun?) would have had a lot higher standing in the tribe having survived by himself being stuck by such a ferocious creature, regardless of what he had told the others. Kind of shows how short sighted these frost men can be. A badge of courage such as a scar of that magnitude should have earned him automatic status as being strong, cunning, able, or otherwise "worth" in most tribes, but you have to wonder about the sanity of the whole tribe if the chief (or puppeteer) can convince them all that his son is weak despite surviving such an attack/wound.

A pleasure to read as always.

Pretty good month for writings, I just wish I could appriciate poetry as much as storywriting. I enjoyed reading them, but dont "get" poetry enough to have good feedback.

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 4:21 pm

TrollHammer wrote:

Ah, Dark yet hopeful... if there was ever a good way to turn Shadow from his self consuming path, this would be one.  I will be eagerly waiting to see what happens next month!

Me too! Laughing

It's funny, because sometimes I have a "very general/vague" idea where the next one might go, based on how I ended the last one... But it NEVER goes that. I don't think ONCE has it ever gone with, "Oh, I ended it this way, next month can begin with this..."

Because the elements are always so random - that it ends up writing another story in my head when the times comes. And I absolutely love that.

I was just telling my wife last night, coming home from my friend's house, where I am a DM (Dungeon Master) for a D&D campaign I run ... and I told her, one of the things I love is - I have this campaign set up one way, and how I think the party will react, where they will go, what they might say - but SO RARELY does the party think the way I do - they do something completely off the books insane! - and as a DM, I can't let myself show that I am not prepared, so I am constantly being forced to improv and adjust - and it's a lot like these grab bags! Because I am always changing what I think is next! And I think that's why I have always enjoyed these grab bags - because it's quick bursts of creativity - where as I struggle on the novel I am writing (and have been writing now for about 4 years!)

TrollHammer wrote:

I do need to go back and read the old stories, but I wonder if they will see your beast again. Doesnt seem as persistant as Madcoil was, my mental image is almost more of a natural mutation with a very large roaming territory, being seen relatively rarely.

The bear creature HAS appeared before, back in a story in 2009. His is called "Bloodfang." (The idea of the creature is actually one that develops into "my" version of Madcoil - the members of the holt fight both Bloodfang, the bear creature; and eventually they also fight a giant serpent - and one day, the giant serpent and Bloodfang fight, and magic erupts and my "Madcoil" is born - though I think I just called the creature "Coil."

TrollHammer wrote:

I would have thought Buren (or Berun?) would have had a lot higher standing in the tribe having survived by himself being stuck by such a ferocious creature, regardless of what he had told the others.

Heh - sorry if it wasn't clear. It wasn't Buren who stood up to Bloodfang. It's actually Foxhair dreaming about an old memory - of when she was young - and seeing ANOTHER human child standing up to Bloodfang after it had slaughtered the wolves.

The idea was that Bloodfang represents Buren's father, Balgar. (Man, I am sure I have spelled both of their names incorrectly a thousand times!) So when Foxhair wakes up from her dream/memory - and sees Shadow gone - she has an uneasy feeling that he's gone for the humans.

TrollHammer wrote:

A pleasure to read as always. Pretty good month for writings, I just wish I could appriciate poetry as much as storywriting. I enjoyed reading them, but dont "get" poetry enough to have good feedback.

I don't consider my poetry at all good. Just dabbling. Sort of like my "artistic" ability. I can scribble with the best of them, but can't actually draw. Smile

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I plan on reading yours tonight, Trollhammer. Smile

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:22 am

TrollHammer wrote:

It was moons-dark tonight, a time when the cursed ‘mother and daughter’ moons decide to take a break and leave the night’s sky to the stars.

A fine example of when I feel envy for your ability to write, good sir. I absolutely loved this line.

TrollHammer wrote:

This was rapidly becoming the truth, in a way.  This slug-poking forsaken forest was slowly becoming his home, and his load was indeed valuable material destined for great purpose.  He was even starting to enjoy himself to a small degree.

Oh! I wish you would have said what or why he was beginning to enjoy himself! Might have been a cool chance to say he was actually beginning to "tolerate" the elves, or "the surface" or something! I like that after all this time, we're seeing him change a little, growing now! (Can I just say how much we need someone to pen your stories into comics?)

TrollHammer wrote:

He smirked as he drug his block of stone just enough to one side of the path to silence a singing cicada-like insect.  He felt the crunch of the creature’s body grinding into the dirt in his toes, even over the twig-snaps and scattering pebbles the block also made in the process.  He had made a game of it: this time of the year the night was still and quiet except for these horribly annoying bugs, screaming out to be silenced. He had become quite adept at ensure his path took out as many of these creatures he could, just to see if he could return down the path in silence.

LOL! I see he essentially compares these bugs to the annoying, talkative elves? Wink

TrollHammer wrote:

The dawn was starting to break, though, and though he managed to pass back down through the path two or three times that night in nearly cave-like silence, the dawn’s bird-calls obliterated his ability to dream of a world with stone over his head being paired with a job worth doing.  The feathered fiends drove the spikes into his peace and quiet, needlessly reminding him where he was, and that he had another job to do.

Another cool bit of writing; nailing down in a quick paragraph how the birds are also an annoyance! (I think seeing what annoys him, but also seeing him slowly grow makes him very endearing!)

TrollHammer wrote:

Quite some time ago, shortly after he had gotten used to how things worked, the Trolls had finally committed to a second plan of action.  Without telling the Elves, they constructed small seats at the top of the walls at the completed corners, and would take turns watching for the Suncoil.

Was wondering if Suncoil would get mentioned again, or if it was for the "fevered dream" (or whatever the story element was!)

Cool to see these little things being referenced!

TrollHammer wrote:

One particularly disturbing thing they had discovered was that the creature seemed to stop existing when it passed through a shadow.  Dross had noted that the delicate strands spun by a spider under a tree had not been disturbed after the beast had been seen blundering through.

Oooooo. I like this.

Another fine, epic read, as our favorite troll continues to grow!

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I love the poem Lunakat did with the last line: "Who'd guess that Karma burns the most?"!

The Guttlecraw one was a hoot too!

I just finished reading the latest of Grubfinder's tale also, and must say that he is indeed becoming less grumpy and disgruntled and more focused on his job and his surroundings in good ways.  Always nice to give a character some growth and more personal happiness and success...it's what we all want for ourselves in real life...so reading it happening to someone else is uplifting!  Even if it is a Troll in a fictional universe...these types of stories are something I always am happy to read.

Wow, Tymer...I can tell you used the image as inspiration and your paragraph of description based on it is touching.  I'm so very glad you really were inspired!  Your tale was long, yes, but I read it eagerly and am also seeing a glimmer of "light" in it.  You said in this month's grab bag that
"happy isn't in you" (or to that effect) but you have moments were even your Stonehowl cast gets to feel the warmth of family, the connection of community and other such scenes on the lighter side.  I like that your dream flashback ties in again and I could see someone who just lost a cub dreaming of their own mother as a balm.  The human saving the wolf cub and then the "demon"/elf child...it is not the same human?  At first it seemed like it might be, but then perhaps not.  
I know the character with the wolf from the last stories, and hope he gets healed.  He's one of those "worthy humans" who like elves that pop up all the time in EQ...so having him as a foil for the Frost Men tribe seems useful for future stories (unless of course the humans all fall to the plan of revenge and Shadow's anger).  

I wish I could draw too, Tymber.  I have only the skills needed to doll really, but my own art from scratch lacks proper proportions, symetry and many other features to make attractive images.  
I'd make some dolls of Grubfinder....if allowed...but a comic isn't something I'm able to produce.

Also, I owe like 3 stories already...and I just have so little time to write.  Even a poem requires far more concentration than I can muster of late.  So...we'll see if I ever retroactively grab-bag it or not.  I appreciate the kind words left in my Nightsea thread and she's in my brain...her character won't just vanish or never be heard from again...she'll just take her own sweet time to appear in text.

I also have to mention the word and illo combos by Tymber and Embala...outstanding efforts to combine mediums!

Smiles,
--Nightsea

Last edited by Nightsea on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Nightsea wrote:

Wow, Tymer...I can tell you used the image as inspiration and your paragraph of description based on it is touching.  I'm so very glad you really were inspired!

Told you I'd end up getting inspired. Smile

Nightsea wrote:

Your tale was long, yes, but I read it eagerly and am also seeing a glimmer of "light" in it.  You said in this month's grab bag that "happy isn't in you" (or to that effect) but you have moments were even your Stonehowl cast gets to feel the warmth of family, the connection of community and other such scenes on the lighter side.

I can do touching moments if it comes to a story. Just not poetry. My poetry is typically ALWAYS dark.

Nightsea wrote:

I like that your dream flashback ties in again and I could see someone who just lost a cub dreaming of their own mother as a balm.  The human saving the wolf cub and then the "demon"/elf child...it is not the same human?  At first it seemed like it might be, but then perhaps not.  

Heh. I need to some how clarify that it's two different people. Perhaps describe the humans a little more. It is indeed two different humans. They're reflections of events. The first human is revealed, when his speech is translated by Shadow's father as the boy saying, "My name is Elk." Which is what inspires Foxhair to name her first wolf, Elkheart. And the second human is Buren. But that needs to be made more clear, somehow - both you and Trollhammer thought it might be the same child! So I need to figure out where I went wrong and strengthen that part of the story so it paints a clearer image!

The human child defending the wolf is the symbol for the human child who defended Shadow's child.
Bloodfang (the bear) trying to kill the wolf cubs is a symbol of Buren's father, Balgar. (the human's father).

I should have mentioned hair color or something, so it was more clear that these are two different humans. One was from Foxfire's past, the other was a current event.

Nightsea wrote:

I know the character with the wolf from the last stories, and hope he gets healed.  He's one of those "worthy humans" who like elves that pop up all the time in EQ...so having him as a foil for the Frost Men tribe seems useful for future stories (unless of course the humans all fall to the plan of revenge and Shadow's anger).  

Well, what's interesting is now I have potential backstories (with the human who saved the wolf cub) through flashbacks with Foxfire (possibly?) which would include more Clouddreamer.

Nightsea wrote:

I wish I could draw too, Tymber.  I have only the skills needed to doll really, but my own art from scratch lacks proper proportions, symetry and many other features to make attractive images.  

Well you have an amazing talent!

Nightsea wrote:

Also, I owe like 3 stories already...and I just have so little time to write.  Even a poem requires far more concentration than I can muster of late.  So...we'll see if I ever retroactively grab-bag it or not.  I appreciate the kind words left in my Nightsea thread and she's in my brain...her character won't just vanish or never be heard from again...she'll just take her own sweet time to appear in text.

Sort of like Stonehowl. When I left the ElfQuest official forums, they were still in my head. But that was it, for something like 2 years or so. Until I got invited here. And they spoke to me and demanded their stories to be told. They're always there. It's just a matter of when the inspiration hits (or they yell loud enough!) Wink

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Hmm...how about this as my first attempt at a Grubfinder doll:
1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 GrubfinderDoll11 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Grubfinder2
(The base is indeed from marvel.com)
--Nightsea

Last edited by Nightsea on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 pm

That works, I hadnt really put much thought into the specifics of what he looks like or aspects like height or build. If anything Id say a bigger nose and squatter (I used 'Paint' to shrink a Pini base once to make Wartfoot years ago, using "shrink image" a smidge and manually adjusting (moving) lines to keep various proportions right while still shrinking it more. Made him a full head shorter without it looking too wierd. (Just spent 45 minutes trying to find a copy online and apparently it must have been on the old forums back when I could host images there. Cant find it)

Anyway, thanks for the hard work!

As to making a comic, Id love to see another fan-generated comic. I used to to come comic strips about 20 years ago but seem to have lost the knack. I can modify images to make them do what I want sometimes, but cant make anything from scratch. Even got a phone with a digitizer hoping I could practice and come up with something, but so far nada.

Im sure about anyone who is an EQ fan that has some skill at cartooning has a zillion projects piled up before they could take on someone else's stuff. It would be fun, and I've been wanting to do a "Troll Quest" for a few years now, but Im pretty sure it wont happen anytime soon.

Heh, thats why I write, I aint good at much else!

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29, 2015 5:12 pm

1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Grubfinder2

You're welcome, Trollhammer!
--NS
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I was lurking again... skimming the thread, reading the story contributions and following Nightsea's approach on Grubfinder's look.

Nice to see that Grubfinder slowly adepts to his new home, Hammer. I enjoy your way to describe the environment, Grubfinder's moods and the dependencies between it. Best part of it: He does never become "elfified". You tell this tale true to Grubfinder's special needs and dislikes, his wording - trollish sweart words included - and his little "evil" joys. Twisted Evil Tymber's suspicion that Grubfinder compares the noisy bugs with the chattering elves is most probably true! XD

"listening to silence" ... I love this term.

And the Trolls are not mere empoyees doing their job. They have efforts and plans of their own. They are exploring the beast with almost scientifical interest and draw conclusions of their own for sure.

There seems to be a time leap of several seasond between this and the last sory. We might learn more about Suncoil's nature soon ... and about the King's secret agenda. It's an interesting capturing read, Hammer! Like Keep up the good work.

Your dolling art goes well with the story, Nightsea. Giving Grubfinder a visible face ... It's always so interesting to follow this process! The shorter, more compact build captures the Troll body well. Careful edits for the digits ass usual - the fists look very natural.
I ... let's be honest Twisted Evil ... love to write "your" line: Too many toes. ^^ Trolls have only 3 equally big toes.
Awesome job with his facial features, Nightsea. I cannot tell for sure what exactly you have edited ... the ears and especially the mouth look very trollish, be it excellent edit or fitting choice. And you did a great job giving him a picknose! *bows*

I've "played" with your results, Nightsea, to try a slightly "trollisher" body type. Is it allowed to post it here?

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:42 pm

Thank you for the great comment on my collage for "From Fire to Home", Nightsea! sunny I'm glad that illustration is welcomed so much, Tymber! Very Happy *proud happy smile*

That kind of interaction sparks my imagination and often makes best results. Being for my own grants me time ... but rarely inspiration.

You flatter me. Your loving comments makes my heart sing, Hammer ... and shy at the same time. It's a joy to play with Wendy's wonderful art, especially with the "oldfashioned" one. I love to do it ... THIS artwork is the other reason besides the mutual interaction that allows me to be an artist as well.

Thank you all for the support, the inspiration, for the love ... for being friends here. Hug

I havn't forgotten to comment on Stonehowl, Tymber ... there's still one night and day to go it in appropriate time. ^^

... LOVE what you did ... and how.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 am

Embala wrote:

I havn't forgotten to comment on Stonehowl, Tymber ... there's still one night and day to go it in appropriate time. ^^
... LOVE what you did ... and how.

First, there's no pressure to read it! I never expect anyone to read my stories; but. naturally, I love when they do (and they offer feedback and comments!) Smile Secondly, there's no pressure to read it before the month is through; you can read and comment on it six months from now and that'd be fine! You're honoring me by reading it! So never apologize because you haven't gotten around to reading or commenting on it! Third, as I said, it's your time, so if you read it; you make me very happy yes! But it's your time! So if you don't read it, or don't comment, that's more than understandable! Especially considering the length of my story for this month's submission to the grab bag! And finally, if all you said was "Love what you did and how" - that alone, makes me smile, the fact that you loved it! What more needs to be said? You honor me, as always, with your time, kindness, words and thoughts! And I am forever grateful!

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 am

Your art is always welcome, Embala. Edits of my work included, of course!
Too many toes...hmmm....I recall this debate last time...maybe it is Two-Edge who is different
because he is half elf? I've seen the three equal sized toes on Trolls so I know you are right...
but it never made sense of course...that fingers and toes would be different on the same individual.

Tymber the fact that you find time to write your Stonehowl tales is great. I don't know when or if
at this point I'll be picking up the threads I've begun for Nightsea and Vytha...I always intend to...
but time to write....uninterrupted time...gah....so seldom does that happen for me now! Images I can always save and continue later...a pixel here and there. Words require me to re-read to pick up where I left off...and usually I get about two sentences in before the next concentration snapper happens. Sheesh.

Like just now trying to make this simple post...but nevermind. I hope Grubfinder's look progresses thru the tinkering into something TrollHammer actually likes.

--NS
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm

You see ... I need some more time, Tymber. The point is - I want to comment. Smile No pressure felt from outside but a need from within. I'll come back to this one for sure!

Thank you for permission, Nightsea. Smile I think Grubfinder made great progress!

Please note: This is basically "frankendolling" with Nightsea's efforts.
1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Grubfi10

Recombined torso and arms of the first, tall version with head and legs of shrunk Grubfinder. I've seen Trolls always with an overdiminsional strong upper body and very long arms , almost like big apes.
Toe edits to make the feet closer to the original look.
I might return to this version to give him warts ... and maybe those "few beard hairs".
... and I had some extra fun borrowing a shabby straw hat (slightly tweaked) for him. Wink

Nightsea wrote:
Too many toes...hmmm....I recall this debate last time...maybe it is Two-Edge who is different because he is half elf?  I've seen the three equal sized toes on Trolls so I know you are right... but it never made sense of course...that fingers and toes would be different on the same individual.
Two-Edge's baby photo shows him three-toed as well. Don't remember having seen him barfoot somewhere else.
Different numbers of toes are actually not so unusual. Cats have 5 toes on the front feet and 4 toes on the back feet.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Embala wrote:
You see ... I need some more time, Tymber. The point is - I want to comment. Smile No pressure felt from outside but a need from within. I'll come back to this one for sure!

Well then, I eagerly await thy comments! You honor me. Smile

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Yes, I want to comment, Tymber. Partly because I'm used to, partly because I feel obliged (tho I know I'm not at all) and mostly because I love the Stonehowl tribe and feel familiar with them. And this time even more because I really love how the story goes.

It starts with the grim reality which is like a neverending nightmare. Shadow and Foxhair are together ... yet as lonely as they can be at the same time. From this desperate situation Foxhair slips into a dream - to the savety of a loving family and protected youth.

Cloudbreamer really comes to life as a loving soulmate and mother, cherished tribemate and balancing voice. Nightsea's wonderful doll design helps a lot to envision her. Banetricker reminds me very much of Strongbow the way you described him. And Foxhair is spirited and passionate like Crescent. This "bond search" is like a variant version of that scene in Wolfrider! - similar start, very different outcome. It adds a lot to Foxhair's background and character.

Back to the dream story - which is actually a memory - ... it turns grim like Foxhair's reality and then takes a conciliating turn. I loved to remeet Bloodfang. It gives your tale a constancy ... a recognition value. The grab-bag elements may lead you ... but YOU make it an ongoing story line with corresponding events. And for those who don't know about the terrible tragic secret behind Bloodfangs he's still a good monster! The human boy is described adorablly and the interaction with the wolf cub and Foxhair is heartwarming. I love the naming of Elkheart!
Strangely enough Elk reminds me of young Shaman when he was a spirited fearless boy. I wonder if he could be what the EQ Shaman becomes under different circumstances.

It was obvious for me that the "dream", the memory of the past was a parable for what has happened in the world of today. And that's the first reason I've loved this episode so much.

And there's a thought: This was not a simple dream evoked by the prescence of the Humans and the horrid slaughtering. This was induced by Clouddreamer's spirit to tell her daughter what really happened to her grandchild! Or ... it was Foxhair's subconcious mind and the never fully cut soul connection with her cubling. Maybe ... both?

Interlude ... It looks like Balgar will not learn. Sad. :/ Nice to get a sneak peek in Balgar's mind, tho. It nicely rounds the previous episode. I was not far from YOUR truth with my speculations about Balgar's thoughts and motivations about his son and the punishment. Second reason. Wink

And back to the grim present. Shadow's rage and sorrow and vengefulness. His name seems to have another meaning now. He's a shadow of his old self. Shadows linger on his soul and mind. The dark part within him has taken control. The way you've described it I can see him walk to the cave - without fear, without guard, without merci. Driven by grief and revenge. Blind. Without thought like a sleepwalker or zombie. Shadow kills like Bloodfang ...
... the "dream" story replays in a dark mirror. And Shadow awakes ... he sees again. He unterstands. I'm sure Shadow will learn - once more. The counterdraft to Balgar's demeanor. I love those "reversed pictures" - the dream as a parable, connecting the events from the far past to near future, working as a foreshadowing and explanation.
I love the tragic in this - my third reason.
The scene with Shadow stabbing the boy and his forgiveness - I recognize this ine too. Don't get me wrong - love to spot familiar scenes retold in new context!

One detail bugs me - it's not very likely that the Frost Men and the Stonehowl Humans speak the same language, even the same idiom. Not impossible but unlikely.
I had no problem to tell Elk and Buren apart, Tymber. Given the life span of Humans and Elves and the fact "little" Foxhair hit maturity and motherhood those boys could hardly be the same. Though ... I have a rough timeline of Stonehowl in mind from previous stories.

I absolutely love this "dual" tale! That's ingenious, Tymber. A glimpse into the past that is directly commected to an becomes an immediate practical meaning for the present story developement.
Foxhair got an idea of what really happend to her cubling and the warning of things to come.
Shadow got the shock he needed to come out of this vengeful stupor. He will neither make peace the Frost Men anywhen soon nor forget the slaugtering of his tribemates but he will be able to think again.
And Stream arrived just in time - she'll better succed in healing!

For Buren's, Shadow's and MY sake! ^^

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grab bag August 2015   1 - Grab bag August 2015 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grab bag August 2015
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next