Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Which elf is your new(er) favorite?

Go down 
+14
Zadzi
sun girl
Cloudbuck
Lunakat
manga
Sifra
truelight
Nomad-Human
Miss Gillespie
Tam
Startear
kathleen3.0
Multi-Facets
Davrille
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Davrille

Davrille

Virgo Horse

Which elf is your new(er) favorite? Empty
PostSubject: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 3:01 pm

We have our favorite elves, and our hated elves, bu there's also elves we're neutral about. Have any of the latter become favorites?

Moonshade has grown on me over the Final Quest; I really like the changes in her personality. Ahdri, too, but I like her now-golden eyes more. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Not exactly among my favorites but ...

Pike really grew on me from absolutely indifferent to "I really like this guy!" Laughing Pike

And Chot swap from "annoying as heck" to "he has some very redeeming moments". Chot

Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 3:39 pm

I was initially indifferent to Teir, but as I came to understand him more, I grew to like him more. I also like that his emotional issues are being handled semi-realistically; even though he's Recognized and lifemated to Ember, and now has a family he knows loves and accepts him, Teir is not automatically cured of all his troubles. He knows he still has to grow as a person and keep trying to move past the trauma of losing his dam and adoptive family, and while he wanted a family related to him more than anything, it's still something he has to get used to thanks to years of isolation before he and Ember's tribe found each other.

Healing is a process, and sometimes a long one at that. I'm glad we got some glimpses of that.

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Tbh, when I was younger, I didn't really like Leetah, but the older I get, the more I adore her. A lot of my dislike had to do with my own internalized misogyny, and things I was projecting on her.
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Teir grew on me in Final Quest. He was too perfect, coming from the left field. Then he became more flawed, and finally the scene with spirit-Kahvi blew my mind.

Moonshade, her seeing other ways in Final Quest was really resonated with me.

And I disliked Vurdah too. I started reading Elfquest when my internalized misogyny was at it's highest, and found her clingy and annoying. Then I realized that hey, it's completely okay to want a child and find someone sexy.

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Here another one for Moonshade!

And Windkin. I never cared for him very much but recently, when I re-read the Forevergreen saga, I laughed about him (Just... what was up with that black outfit???) and I also like him in the Final Quest. He always seems a little displaced.

Nomad-Human

Scorpio Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Mender left me flat for a long time. I mean he was so obnoxious about how hot he was, more than Skywise ever was. However I didn't dislike him, I was just... meh... on him. Didn't like him, didn't hate him. But... he has grown on me I feel like he's been forced to go outside his comfort zone of being the golden boy (pun not intended by great nevertheless) healer who screws everything that has a pulse and will let him and become an adult and a vital member of his tribe, something I wasn't sure I was ever going to see from him.

Anyone else that I'm neutral on is still there... waiting for me to get a set in stone opinion on them.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 1:40 pm

It was fun watching Mender get all violent and remorseless.

Tam

Tam

Leo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 am

Another for Mender. I like that he's flawed, that he's violent and remorseless at times, that he isn't just a goody two shoes. And he seems to be staying on the side of good, which is even better. I enjoy exploring the shades of grey, and he's pretty damn grey sometimes.
Back to top Go down
http://oakleafholt.boards.net
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 1:06 pm

I liked him since he was torn between 'to heal and to hunt' in Shards, so since quite a while. The 'shagging anything that moves' only really happened in Mender's Story, right? So I tried to ignore it. But yeah, Final Quest, too.

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 2:00 pm

I have not read all of Shards yet, but I thought Mender already had a loverboy-vibe in the story where Amber meets him for the first time... I didn't like him then, but I like him now because of what Tam said...

Nomad-Human

Scorpio Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 12:59 am

I'm one of those people who has the same set of standards for fictional characters as I do for real human beings. The type of man-whore that Mender was was not the sort of person I could respect.

It's weird though, it's very much in the fine details of how it's presented. I do not now, nor ever have, judged people for being very sexual and having healthy sexual appitites. It's whether or not there's arrogance in their personality. Honestly it's being arrogant about how many notches they have, how awesome they are because they've had ALL THIS SEX!!! That arrogance will make me turn on a dime and start 'a judgin', I find it so very annoying.

When reading about Mender's character, I found him drowning in that arrogance, whereas Skywise wasn't. And in that moment he fell flat to me, In real life I would have found Mender quite slappable. In fiction he was merely... meh... and not much else.

Also, for me, the political is very much personal. In typical media, no matter the form, any female character having that much sex would be highly judged for it. If she were as arrogant as Mender once was... well than bring out the torches and pitchforks cause the readership is gonna burn her at the stake. Because there is an extreme double standard in how men are judged for arrogant playboy behavior versus how women are judged for the exact same stuff. We won't even talk about how women of colour are judged in this arena as well.

So in that vein it is impossible for me to enjoy the sort of character that Mender was. Note: WAS.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 2:29 am

Yes- Mender was insufferable. A real jackass. What I liked about him wasn't that he was less of that-- but that we finally saw his dark side. Before that he struck me as juts a frat boy type- and that's boring as heck. But after we saw his dark side, he suddenly became more interesting.

Actually... I'm not sure it's even a dark side. I think I just liked his cold blooded efficiency. I respected that. It appealed to me in that Mender came off as incredibly competent. Yes- that's what I liked about him. How good he was at what he did-- incidentally it happened to be killing. I liked out he didn't faint at the site of blood.

truelight

truelight

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Windkin is growing on me too. I never had an opinion of him one way or the other but by final quest it seemed like he had PTSD or something, that almost human flaw made me like him more if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySat Nov 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Moonshade has really grown on me. It's really nice to see she actually has her own dreams and wishes.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptySat Nov 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Shen-shen has grown on me alot. Though I don't think becoming a midwife to humans is quite as easy as it's being made out to be, I'm glad to see her really coming in to her own.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 11:04 am

When you think about it Shenshen used to pretty much be defined by her relationship to Leetah (and Cutter).

She tried to convince Leetah not to be too mad at Cutter during the 'Recognition-debacle'.

She was mad at Cutter for "stealing her thunder" during the birth of the twins.

She was devastated when Leetah left Sorrow's End to find Cutter.

She was overjoyed when Leetah - and everyone else - returned.

During the Long Sleep her dream was about being tired of being in Leetah's shadow.

manga wrote:
Shen-shen has grown on me alot. Though I don't think becoming a midwife to humans is quite as easy as it's being made out to be, I'm glad to see her really coming in to her own.

You make it sound like that's a reason to like her less. Question

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 1:42 pm

No, not a reason to like her less, just a reason to take that thread with a grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 1:59 pm

I don't think Shenshens becoming a midwife to humans is intentionally being made out to be easy; there's just not enough time to show everything just like with the rest of the storylines. (Like: What's up with Windkin and Ahdri and Aroree? How did Dart and Mender go from "You're an evil golden Winnowill" to "You're my lovemate! Let's share my deepest feelings with you!") We have already seen that giving birth is a very different experience for humans than it is for elfs.
It would be interesting to see more about Shenshens life with the humans. She's a sweet character.

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

manga wrote:
No, not a reason to like her less, just a reason to take that thread with a grain of salt.

Why?
Shenshen has grown on you whether or not her new carrer-choice is easy or not.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 3:04 pm

It makes me doubt how much of her own she's really coming in to. It reads like the author is waving a magic wand. When a character has things TOO easy, it devalues to some extent their achievement.
Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Just seconding what Manga said. Wouldn't it be more interesting and character-developing to see Shenshen actually have to grapple with human midwifery, since that's the challenge she's taken on? All the agony and complications and possibility of death that never happens to elves when they're having a baby, that she probably wouldn't be prepared for and would have to overcome.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Or what if her host family just doesn't want her to live with them indefinitely, waiting around for the wife to make babies? I mean... that is what she's doing, right?

Cloudbuck

Cloudbuck

Gemini Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm curious to see where Shenshen's new story goes! Right now it's a little weird, and I'm going to be very interested to see whether or not it works out the way she's imagining it.

I'm also gonna join the crowd who's liking Mender more lately. I enjoy his complexities, and I like seeing a healer who's not totally at peace with that as a primary role.

Another one who's really grown on me is actually Pike. I feel like a bad fan saying it, but for a long time he never really struck me as anything special! I saw him as really flat comic relief, but starting with Dreamtime and then solidifying through his relationship with Krim and Skot I realized there was a lot more to our favorite dreamberry drunk and really came around to him.
Back to top Go down
http://myarmcanfly.net
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Another long-time fan of Pike here! I can't say he's a newer favourite for me, but I love him more and more with every profound loss he sustains without losing his hope or his spark for life.
Also, in my opinion, since he prefers his Dreamberries in their natural unfermented state most of the time, I'd call him a stoner rather than a drunk Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which elf is your new(er) favorite?   Which elf is your new(er) favorite? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which elf is your new(er) favorite?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next