Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Timmain the mother of all

Go down 
+3
Lunakat
Redhead Ember
TrollHammer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Timmain the mother of all Empty
PostSubject: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 11:15 am

Timmain the mother of all ... this was Timmain's thread, opened by dewshine_lover_1, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Timmain's bio page on Elfquest.com. Timmain the mother of all _00_ti10#00 found

Last edited by Embala on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:08 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Making her mother to herself....

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 am

My Timmain 'Character Bio':

Timmain (f)  Timmain

Alive – immortal
Recognized of Aerth
Mother of “Firstbloom” and Timmorn
Grandmother of Laststar, Rahnee and others
Lovemate of Adya, Alpha Male and Skywise
Mentor of Sunstream and Kimo

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyThu Sep 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Hey-- This story riffs off the Final Quest version of Timmain. It gives sort of an alternative take on what happened with her and Cutter-- that nevertheless fits the story. What do you guys think?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7988899

LurkingCat

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 12:13 am

I like it. It's well written. It would also answer nicely the question what happened with Bearclaws and Joyleafs (originals?) child's soul. A question I asked myself: What kind of a person/soul Cutter would have been if Timmain hadn't witnessed Bearclaws and Joyleafs joining... He wouldn't be Tam, he would have been... Question

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 1:00 am

If it would have been told like that ... with empathy, affection ... and not like a slap in the face to reach some hidden goal - I would consider it. Wonder, what effects it would have on Cutter, on Timmain and the story.

Maybe Cutter's initial reaction would have been the same but I can see more understanding in the reader. And consider Timmain being more a second mother than an usurpator.
The original child-soul has chosen the spirit life without going through hardships of the physical world first. Timmain was actually compassionate and helpful - and Cutter is still a person of his own. With a special (maybe TOO close) connection to Timmain.

It still changes the reader's look view on Cutter and his heroquest but doesn't make him look like a puppet or drone. A puppet or drone - that's the impression I got from Timmain's revelation so far. I wonder how it will develop in canon ... whether there will be a conciliatory turn. Or a further explanation at all.

I like how this little story is told. The time it has chosen. Timmain's view on the countless years she spent  ... the reason to be reminiscent of this moment - and her decision.

Last edited by Embala on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:25 pm; edited 16 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 7:36 am

I think there has to be further explanation, one way or another.  What I think works well in this story is the metaphor of a plant clipping-- it does spring from the original plant-- and in someways, they stay connected-- but it is also it's own thing. I think the Hidden Ones (they aren't that scary) were introduced to show how connected minds can also be individuals and maybe will even pick up on the same metaphor at some point. This idea of connection was also introduced in Redlance's dream when he described the forest itself.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am

Good find, Lunakat. I like this story. And I agree with Embala - had things been translated with a bit more empathy, etc., then Timmain's bomb wouldn't seem so... outrageously far-fetched. Being able to 'see' from her perspective is one of the gifts of storytelling I feel, since she's so alien and all that. I like how in the story how the encounter with recognition and Cutter's soul just sort of flowed and seemed natural, and there was none of the other crap Timmain does in canon: I had to continue learning even though I was dying, etc. etc.

Timmain the mother of all Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Love this story. I agree Timmain was to brisk and abrupt. Maybe if she had approached things in a gentle manner with empathy, Cutter may not have gone off the deep end.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 3:50 am

Yeah-- I feel like the moment in the canon story between Cutter and Timmain offered just the most minimal of explanation. If I were Cutter, I would have had a million questions! I don't actually feel this story contradicts anything Timmain said in the comic-- I think it just supplements it. They are compatible accounts.

Zadzi mentions all the crap Timmain pulled in telling her story. I actually don't think there was enough crap there-- like, "I just wanted to keep learning," or whatever, doesn't explain much. It's extremely cursory for such an extreme situation and action. There has to be more to it than that.

Funny thought on Cutter and Timmain. From his pov, it must be as if your dog suddenly morphed into a person. Like you've been hanging out with this animal for years, just chilling tog. You've talked to it when no one was around, taken a shower and gotten dressed in front of it-- then suddenly, it turns into a British philosophy professor. It's an old man and it's got a 150 page thesis it's written on the influence of Nietzsche on contemporary culture-- and world leaders show up at your door to ask its advice-- and it begins teaching at a prestigious university and invites everyone to visit. It's lectures are impressive to all your friends and acquaintances but go right over your head. And you're thinking "who was I living with all those years? What happened to my Chihuahua?"

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 3:56 am

And then one day it turns to you and tells you you don't actually exist. "All this time you thought I was your pet, you were really just an aspect of me. Because the universe."

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timmain the mother of all   Timmain the mother of all Empty

Back to top Go down

Timmain the mother of all
Page 1 of 1