Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Splitting topics

Go down 
+3
Zadzi
TrollHammer
Lunakat
7 posters

Should we have separate threads for speculations and comments?
yes
Splitting topics Vote_lcap50%Splitting topics Vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
no
Splitting topics Vote_lcap50%Splitting topics Vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 am

Tymber wrote:
Embala wrote:
Why not have it both in one? Unless you close the discussion the comments will get mixed for sure.

Well, I was thinking it would be clear... For example one would be:

Final Quest #12 - Speculation/Preview Thread

Then when issue #12 DOES come out, someone creates a:

Final Quest #12 - Comments.

The reason being - the thread for issue #12 is already 8 pages deep. And the issue hasn't even come out yet?

Would be nice to have a fresh thread to begin discussing it - without feeling like you're jumping in the middle of something.

As the issues come out, Admins/Moderators can even combine the "Speculation" threads into one large thread called "Final Quest - Speculations" (Although that's work for the admins/moderators - and just an idea to keep things "tidy" around here if that's a concern).

Again, just ideas I am spewing. Smile

I kinda like this idea, but so we don't upset anyone with a new thing and as this is the way of things now

LETS VOTE ON IT!

Go on... you know you want to Wink

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 10:48 am

I think this is overcomplicating things. Just have a moderator change the name of the topic "Final Quest 12" to "Final Quest 12 Preview/Speculation" and when the issue comes out-- open a new thread.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Another thought that is less invasive would be to add a link to the beginning of the thread leading to a "first post" once the issue comes out. This way even if someone slips and forgets it can still be done later without breaking the flow of the discussion.

Im kind of on the sidelines with this one. The threads grow so fast I cant tell whats going on, and are so large I cant hope to backtrack. I remember trying to figure out if there was a reply to a post I made in iss#11, and couldnt remember if it was on page 24, 26, or somewhere else. This wouldnt matter if the thread was broken (putting the comment i was trying to find anywhere from page 3 to 12, as a wild guess), or still as one topic.

Besides that, the flow of conversation after the new iss comes out just generates more speculation that perhaps should go on the next iss, but doesnt always fit or turn out that way.

Its the nature of the beast: forums tend to have growing threads, and sometimes things get buried. Doesnt make it wrong, it just happens. Add to that a starved fan base tearing at the walls trying to glean anything they can from it and you generate lots of posts. One could look at other fan forums to see what they do, but Im sure it'll end up looking much the same.

Zadzi

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 2:15 pm

I like Trollhammer's idea with the link, it makes sense. Otherwise, I really don't care either way.

Splitting topics Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Lunakat wrote:
I think this is overcomplicating things. Just have a moderator change the name of the topic "Final Quest 12" to "Final Quest 12 Preview/Speculation" and when the issue comes out-- open a new thread.

I think that would be the intention (moving forward, or even, if the YES vote wins, with Issue #12 and #13 which both have threads already, though the issues are not out).

My thought process was - when the new issue comes out, people are (ideally) going to be excited to talk about it. But for those (like myself) who have avoided the threads before the issue comes out - diving in on Page 8, for example, feels like a bit much, and I'd be less inclined (though lets be honest, when am I ever quiet?) to probably post my thoughts, because there's an overflowing threads of discussion(s) happening in there.

So it'd be nice (again, speaking for myself when I spewed the idea), to have a "fresh" thread to start with and go forward.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 5:46 pm

The only thing I see a problem with is that someone would need to give me a nudge on when to merge or split or do the mystical backstage shenanigans.

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Why so complicated? RENAME the #12 and #13 thread now to "speculation" thread (means: in case the poll says so) and then someone will open the #12/#13 "discussion" thread. And #14 a.s.o. will be opened with the "right" headline.

If it helps others to feel more comfortable I'm fine with two threads per issue ... or how many are needed. *shrug*

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 8:27 pm

I think 2 threads is a good idea because when the issue DOES come out, no one knows where (what page) the discussion leaves "speculation", and begins where the discussion continues on what is actually happening if you keep it all in one thread. ((for people who may have strayed from the speculations and are waiting for the issue to come out to discuss it))

So we can edit the title to FQ 12 thread with {Speculations} at the end of it and when the issue is released, start a new thread on it.

Thats just my input

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 pm

This poll is intense. I checked before and it was 2/2 and now it's 3/3. Smile

Sponsored content

Splitting topics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splitting topics   Splitting topics Empty

Back to top Go down

Splitting topics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: News and Announcements-
Jump to: