Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shadowpath tries writing stories

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

Shadowpath tries writing stories Empty
PostSubject: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 12:14 pm

If I figure out how to like to a specific post, I'll put them up in order.
Table of content

Edit: Endings is the start. Thanks to LurkingCat for getting my characters to go that far back.
Memories of Mind and World.
Dawn.
Departure

'The Continued failings of High One Technology.'
A crossover with Dragon Age.

'She who wanderers.'
Follows a wandering elf.

'Strangers in the woods'.
Cone has a run in with a gigantic bear and those who are hunting it.

'In weird and confusing times.'
In which the Timless keep crashing into things.

'Wavelength.'
Takes place before ''Strangers in the woods'. The Wolfriders notice some newcomers outside their woods, but don't get a good look at them and assume they're humans.

'In weird and confusing times, part 2.'

'Howls'.
Takes place after 'Wavelength'.
Beyond and Arehe talk instead of keeping watch and 'wolves' howl.

-------------------------

Erhm sorry for making a new thread. Feel free to ask for deletion if I'm taking up too much space, or you just don't want to see more of my things.

Thought it would be easier to keep track of things if I had this on separate thread.
I have a few stories under way, but they're completely at the mercy of what my muse feels like writing.
Right now the only thing she wants to work on is a odd Elfquest/Dragon Age crossover.
Feel free to ignore, I'm not any good at writing.  

Title: The Continued failings of High One Technology.

Somebody messes around with some of Res’ magic ‘someday-these will-help us-leave-this-forsaken-planet’- crystal orbs while he’s working on them and they do actually end up working. In a chaotic and not at all helpful way because it transplants Res to Thedas.
To the soon to be destroyed Conclave to be precise.
Because you never know where the High Ones went and where they left their artifacts.

Res' bio can be read here
____
‘Get out.’
'You know what, Ressa?’
'Res. My name is Res. Not Ressa, not Resling, not Reska. Just Res. ’
'You spend entirely too much time working with magic. It’s going turn your mind into slush!’
'Thief, I swear. If you touch anything, I’m going to skin you alive.’
Flying Thief’s laughter told him there would be no negotiation with the aggravating Mistsinger.
The elf woman slapped one of Res’ three crystal orbs out of the air, much to his barely restrained ire.
The palace crystal hit the floor, shattering, it’s glowing pieces clinked over the floor and landed around his feet.
One of the other orbs seemed to sense the it’s sibling’s destruction and hurriedly sank down to Res’ shoulder, fully breaking a stream of magic that been passing between all three orbs.  
It should cancelled out the magic entirely, Res thought later, in a different place.

Really, he shouldn’t have been surprised.
The ancient, semi sentient, but often harebrained technology of the High Ones was known to completely and utterly fail the ones who used it.

Within seconds the magic seemed to fade before violently coming back into view. It arched like lightning inside his small away-from-Firerock-den before making contact with the shards at his feet and the orbs around him, making them shine brighter than the daystar.

Res lost sight of his den as a pale, multi-coloured light engulfed him. Everything seemed to become drawn out, endless and ever reaching, shattering the laws the two mooned world had slammed down countless ages go.

The magic sang with absolute chaos, extreme intent and violence as it reached out, further and further, until it made contact to something equally ancient.
Everything shifted violently, and Res realized to his growing confusion that there was no floor, no roof, no walls. Just a near eternity of movement and colours.

When the light and magic finally dissipated, Res was nowhere to be found, leaving a dumbfounded Flying Thief alone in the den.
Her hazel eyes flickered around briefly, wondering if she had just started a war with the Timeless.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 1:06 am

"Not any good at writing?" You're kidding, right? That was clear and engaging. More! Please. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 5:54 am

Well ok. O.O Thanks Manga.

Title: The Continued failings of High One Technology.
Reporting Error: Overshot by a galaxy, or so.

Somewhere along the line, Res had covered his ears and his shut eyes.

Light and magic crashed around him with a cacophonous noise, as he suddenly felt the ground return under his feet, causing him to stagger and stumble.

‘Thief, you absolute crag!’ Res snarled as he managed to regain his balance and opened his eyes, expecting see the obnoxious Mistsinger.

What met his eyes instead, was a wall with large spiral-like decorations.
A wall made from a dark stone the Timeless didn’t use in their buildings.

He was standing in a rather wide hallway that was well lit by torches.
Res looked around for second before slamming himself into the wall behind him and flatting himself against it. Hand instantly going to the sword, Bright Wrath, that was fastened to his left leg.
He wasn’t in his den anymore.
He likely wasn’t even in the Shadowgrounds anymore.
He looked up to see one of the small orbs hovering well above his head, spinning quietly.

Res briefly wondered if he had somehow been 'moved’ to the Palace of the High Ones, but shot down that thought as soon as he came up with it.
The stone he now had his hands on was cold, dark and held none of the traits that the orb above him did.

His rockshaping powers seeped into the rock and told him that he was deep inside a massive, ancient building, a temple.
His powers couldn’t reach far enough to tell him where he could get out, just that there were many walls and rooms between him and the outside.

Scowling something fierce, he looked up at the orb again.
'Come down here, you idiot!’ He hissed angrily at the it, causing it to drop down.
Res hastily grabbed it and held it to his chest.
He took an unsteady breath, calming the faint spikes of panic he felt in the back of his mind.
Where was he?
How had he gotten there?

Res lifted his hands from his chest, staring down at the slightly luminous orb with the expression of a vexed parent.
Wild, unstable magic had brought him here. That much was obvious, thinking back on the magic stream Flying Thief had disturbed with her recklessness.

The shattered orb had functioned as a platform of sorts, while the two whole ones had been power and direction, driving him to the next platform. But what had functioned as a platform in this strange place?

Res looked down to the spot where he had appeared moments ago.
There, in the floor was a circular decoration. And framed by intricate stone carvings, was a rather large, round disk of crystal.
It looked well worn, but it shone just like the small orb he held.
That explained how he had gotten there. Res stopped himself from asking himself why it was there for now, and looked from the crystal in the floor to the one he had in his hands.
'Take me back this instant!’ He hissed at it, tightening his hold slightly.

The orb’s colours shifted slightly, while the disk grew a bit brighter, but nothing else happened.
Res’ hands shook slightly as he realized he was stuck. The two crystals didn’t have the capacity to send him back.
Before panic could set in, noise reached Res’ ears, forcing him to focus on it.

Echoed voices filled the hall, seemingly coming from all around him.

They were a mess of tones, almost continuous and definitely human in origin.

’- I swear if one of them looks at me the wrong way -’
’- It’s our divine right to-’
’- actually think they’re people? Ha!’
’-should just have locked them in their towers and burnt them.’
’ -why not just kill them all? What’s the real harm?’
’- Andraste, I pray-’
’- I went to Tevinter once-’
’-shouldn’t the Divine be here…?’

Res shook his head, stopped focusing on the strange voices and started focusing his problems.
Mainly getting back home or staying away from whoever the voices belonged to.

Looking both ways to make sure no one were on their way, Res moved back to the crystal disk and crouched down beside it.

Letting go of the orb with one hand, he placed it above the disk, making it shine even brighter for a brief second before it seemed to lose it’s hard surface and become fluid.

Res moved the orb from his chest and released it to hover above the glowing matter.
Guided by his hand, the fluid started moving up towards the orb, the matter slipping around the sphere, before merging with it, slightly increasing its mass.

Res slipped back to the wall as the crystals merged, focusing on which way to go. The path to the right seemed to split off into two new paths, while the left path on had one.
Res didn’t get much of a choice, as he heard footsteps coming down unseen stairs to the right.
’- You think the Mage-Templar war is actually going to stop? There’s so much anger on both sides.’ Someone said, a woman, by the sound of it.
’ Well, it’s possible? Ambassadors from both sides showed up. That’s something at least.’ Another woman answered.
Left path it was.

Res took off, with the orb in tow. He just managed to get to the end of the hallway and turn around the corner when the women got off the stairs.

The orb nearly slammed into the end wall before it corrected it’s path and preceded to bump into Res, much to his eye-rolling exasperation.
The new hallway was much like first, only with fewer torches, leaving it darker and cold.

As carefully as he could, Res made his way through the dark hallway, with the orb in tow.
There were more strange symbols and intricate carvings on the walls. Odd statues of a valiant looking human woman and a miserable man holding his head, dotted the hallway.

Soon he came to the end of the hallway. Two large double doors in his way.
Placing a hand on the wall to his right told him there was a large chamber behind the doors, and that he was no closer to finding a easier way out. He still couldn’t 'see’ which was the right way out, only that he had been moving deeper into the building.
Res growled under his breath and turned around to go back the way he had come from.

'Now is the time for our victory.’ A deep, dark, male voice rang out, causing Res to stop in his tracks, turn around and look back at the double doors.
’Why are you doing this? You of all people?’ A woman asked, fear and confusion clear in her voice.
Res, without conscious thought of doing so, moved back towards the doors.
'Keep the sacrifice still.’ The male voice spoke up again. Res went cold as the word 'sacrifice’ reached his ears and still without thinking, placed his hands on the doors. He barely managed stopped himself from pushing them open. Worry warring with curiosity over what to do.
'Someone help me!’ The woman yelled, as some odd sizzling, crackling noise reached Res’ ears.
Res ground his teeth as curiosity won out over worry and sensible fear, and made him angrily push open the doors.

There were several humans inside the dark chamber.
Four of them were dressed in odd blue and silver armour and stared into the distance with incredibly empty eyes.

An old looking woman dressed in a red and white robe and an oddly large headdress, was being held up in the air and bound by what looked like red magic.
In front of her, holding a dark, green glowing orb, was a tall, sickly thin and bizarrely mangled man.

'I see…you have taken to sacrificing your own elders now? ’ Res said shakily, as everybody turned their heads towards him. Res hastily looked from the blank eyed people to the man and woman.
'What…precisely are you doing?’ Res continued a second later, his insane curiosity dooming him further.
Before anybody could answer, the woman tore her arm out of the red magic and knocked the green orb out of the malformed man’s hand.

Res couldn’t decide if it was because he had simply abandoned the tiniest amount of common sense at that point or it was just his insane curiosity that made him move and reach out for the orb as it clanked it’s way towards him.

He regretted picking up the dark orb instantly.

Absolutely foreign, screaming magic shot up his left arm, quickly followed by intense pain that forced a scream from him.

Res barely had time to notice that the malformed man was flying towards him before everything became engulfed by green light and the floor underneath his feet disappeared once again.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 11:33 pm

Title: She who wanderers.
Time-period: ??

One cold day she stops wandering, drops her satchel to the ground and looks to the North, the resting place of the High One’s Star Ship.
Her companion, a pale violet preserver, keeps chirping about that being the way to go, but she ignores it.
She is cold and the North is colder.
She wants warmth. She wants people.
She turns her gaze toward the south-west and sees Blue Mountain.
For a second she wonders if they’d notice the return of a old face.
If she still looked anything like she did back then.

She considers it for a moment and then sneers at the mountain.
Blue Mountain was a tomb and all those inside were rotten or dead in one way or another.

Gliders weren’t any good at making children at any rate
, she thinks to herself before looking past the mountain, to the lands hidden behind a massive mountain range.
Something snags her mind as she looks at it, a pull.
Her lips break into an almost feral smile. Yes.
She picks up her satchel and sets out for the hidden grounds.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Sorry for my lack of response to your earlier post, Shadowpath. I don't know enough of the crossover world and find it confusing.

Quote :
One cold day she’s stops wandering,

One cold day she stops wandering,

I like this vignette. It's intriguing. I like to imagine it's Winnowill making a better choice... and getting drawn to Rayek out there in the Lands Beyond. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 pm

manga wrote:
Sorry for my lack of response to your earlier post, Shadowpath.  I don't know enough of the crossover world and find it confusing.

Quote :
One cold day she’s stops wandering,

One cold day she stops wandering,

I like this vignette.  It's intriguing.  I like to imagine it's Winnowill making a better choice... and getting drawn to Rayek out there in the Lands Beyond.  Very Happy
Gah XD thank you for the catch!

Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 3:17 pm

I really like the Winnowill one too! What I find most powerful is how you don't mention her name, yet it is clear from her scorn, and the mention of children. And that she isn't traveling north, she stops because she is cold. Like Manga, I like the idea of it being the Sun Village pulling at her.

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 3:51 pm

*Laughs nervously*
I'd just like to point out it's not Winnowill.
I can't write canon characters. I like mentioning them tho.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Title: She who wanderers, part two.

-Two days later.-

The sun is nearly up and the wind is cold as she follows the river that flows near the Hoan G’Tay Sho tribe.
She's nearly at Blue Mountain's base when she decides to rest by the river's edge.

Over head, the giant birds fly. Some are young birds, testing their wings, others are older birds with some of the Chosen Eight on their backs, going out to hunt for the elves that have chosen to build a dead world inside a mountain.

Moments later, she spots the flesh-shaped Tyldak far above her.
Ugly thing.
Winnowill should have lost her hands for such a atrocity.
An angry, coiled memory of the false-healer sneaking into her chambers tries to rise up to the forefront of her mind, but she forces it down and brings up another, less rage inducing memory.

She still remembers hearing Tyldak screaming as Winnowill forced the flesh and bone to expand.
Back then her name had been...Veekar? Veeree? Viriin?

She leans in over the water and sees herself as she is now. 
Long,fur-like, straw coloured hair hides her eyes, leaving only the lower, narrow part of her face visible.
'Vireen?'She says out loud, like she's actually trying to catch someone's attention.
Yes! Vireen. She had been Vireen. Tall, silver haired and storm-grey eyes.
Her face shifts, her straw coloured hair loses it's fur-like quality and becomes a cold silver.
Vireen looks back at her, stormy eyes still full with an ancient anger.

An eternity ago,Tyldak's screams had echoed throughout the halls of Blue Mountain.
Danahree, a treeshaper with pale blue eyes and fair hair had turned to her with worry in her eyes.

*Why doesn't she stop the pain? That's not necessary,is it? Your shaping skills don't cause you pain. Does it?* The girl had sent as they moved towards the aerie, fleeing the echoed screams.
Vireen's mouth almost teared itself apart in a snarl,teeth almost changing into fangs.
'It becomes easier as time passes.' Vireen whispered, barely concealed disgust seeping into her her tone as Tyldak's screams became faint.
‘Voll’s beloved likes inflicting pain.’ She continued and took hold of Danahree’s elbow, hard enough to bruise and gave her a severe look. ‘Do not let her touch you, child. Do nothing to make yourself her servant.’

Winnowill shaped Tyldak into a winged monstrosity and later, tried something far more monstrous.
The memory again tries to claw it's way to the surface.
She shakes her head, as if to dislodge it.
Vireen had left Blue Mountain in a rage shortly after Winnowill's visit to her chambers. 

Danahree had stayed behind,despite her warnings.

Vireen’s face fades, leaving behind a still nameless woman with straw coloured hair.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh ho, I bet I know who she is.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Something I wrote today because Startear is just damn good at inspiring me. Takes place in Skyfire's time and features Startear's character Cone who has a run in with a bear and some of the Timeless who chasing it.
I would like to point out the Timeless are not trying to torment the bear. It's like the peacedogs Winnowill made. Just more magic infused and very, very, very hard to kill.

Title: Strangers in the woods.

_____
Cone briefly wondered if her day had really just gone from slightly horrible to terrifying.

She was standing a few feet away from the biggest bear she had seen in her life.

The bear was monstrously big.The Wolfriders had encounter giant bears before, but nothing in the old howls could measure up to the monster in front of her.

The beast was bleeding from what looked like the remains of no less then four spears that had been plunged in its heart. 
She couldn’t begin to understand why or how it was still alive.

It was breathing heavily and staring at her with wild eyes that made her shudder.

Her hand flew to her knife as the beast started moving towards her.

Thuck

Something, she couldn’t see what, flew through the air and stuck the bear square behind the jaw.
The bear roared, not in agony, but sheer rage at the object lodged in it’s jaw.
COME TO BEYOND, NES! BEYOND WANTS YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU’RE DEAD!’

The yelling shattered the odd silence that had been during the standoff.
A pale man with orange hair, dress in almost garish purple and green clothes and a bizarre three tailed hat came tearing out from the darkness that the trees cast, giving the bear a utterly crazed look, armed with a bizarre bow she had never seen before.
The man came to a sudden stop, took aim and fired what looked like a heavy metal bolt at the monstrous bear.
The bear moved out of the way just at the right time, the bolt flying past its snout as it ran off into the deeper woods.

The man stared at the retreating animal, made a frustrated noise, put a new bolt in place and started laughing. A laugh so broken it made her think he was on the verge of an utter breakdown.
‘It won’t die! IT WON’T DIE! Four spears in its heart and it’s still running!  ARRRRRGH! COME BACK, COME BAAAACK!’ The man roared and tore after it.

The second the man was out of sight, a woman with dark red hair, bound in long braids,came running after him, cursing him to frozen mountains and back.
She was followed by a dark skinned woman with wild shady hair, who was laughing her head off while dragging a dark skinned man with ridiculous long hair along with her.

‘Poor thing! It doesn’t know it’s dead!’ The woman laughed as she pulled her breathless partner along.
‘Can we please not pity the murderous, thieving bear?’ The men exclaimed in an annoyed tone as the woman pulled him out of sight.

Cone stood there in shock, not really sure what she had just witnessed.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySun Aug 21, 2016 11:42 pm

Takes place during Kings.
Note: The Timeless live on a moving island that can dive underwater. This is possible due to them being ridiculously magic rich.

In weird and confusing times.

‘We got hit by what?’ Res asked loudly, disbelief evident in his voice.
‘A bird!’  Beyond answered down from Fire-Rock’s lower, mostly empty plaza, tone completely serious.

Res looked up at the colossal magic shield that was stopping the entire ocean from crushing them and surrounded their mobile island.

It was still very much in place and they were still very much underwater.
Res looked down to his uncle, his left eye twitching slightly.
‘Beyond. We’re under water.’ He said numbly, his hands tightening around the stone railing he was leaning against, fighting down an ancient panic of failing his people in the same way the Circle of Nine had.
‘Brilliant observation,Res!’ Beyond said, this time more cheerily, but as unhelpful as ever.
‘No, I mean, we’re under water! How in Chenah’s bloody spears did we get hit by a bird? Also,what kind of bird is so damn big we can feel it slam against our island!?’ Res exclaimed in frustration, not understanding how they could first crash into an insane, misshapen whale earlier that day and now get hit by a freakishly large bird.

Before Beyond could answer, Bright Frost, a dark skinned, silver haired healer stepped up beside him, lightly slapping the taller elf on the arm.
‘It looked like one of the birds from Blue Mountain, Res. The Glider’s birds.’ She said, ignoring Beyond’s mock outrage at the slap.
Res’ face collapsed into confusion at that point.
‘What? How…why was it out here? We’re in the middle of the sea?’ He asked looking from the healer to his trickster uncle, hoping they for some reason had the answer.

‘Maybe it was trying to cross over to new land and got exhausted? There is fierce storm raging up there, you know.’ Beyond guess and shrugged while keeping his eyes on Bright Frost, seemingly determined to catch her hand should she try and hit him again.

Res shook his head wildly and opened his mouth to argue,but was interrupted when the air in the plaza nearly exploded with magic as the area’s glowing Palace stones’ light became as bight as the sun and the living hivemind of the Timeless roared to the surface with a sending that would knocked their seven High Ones off their feet.

There were no real words in the sending. Just an sense of intense outrage and fury that was, bizarrely, aimed at something in the ocean.

‘WHAT IN DEIRRAN’S GREAT SICKLE IS GOING ON?!’ Beyond yelled, his hands flying up to cover his ears, as if that would somehow help against the hivemind’s insane mindtouch.

Bright Frost was quick to grab the much taller elf as the physical force from the hivemind’s sudden emergence nearly succeeded in knocking Beyond down.

‘I think the hivemind is attacking something?’ Bright Frost said, as she steadied Beyond. Her eyes flew back up to the baffled rockshaper who was staring in the directing of the Grand Gardens, where all the energy was being focus.
‘Res! Are we being attacked?’ The healer called out, hoping to catch his attention.

‘No, but you’re right. The hivemind is attaching something!’ Res replied with a voice like steel and kept his eyes trained on the gardens as he started moving down the stairs that lead down to the lower plaza.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Note: Inspired by an askStartear sent me tumblr. Sorry for errors.

Wavelength.
*Skyfire! Humans! There’s humans near the forest!* A panicked sending rang out from the forest's depths and hit Res like ice cold water.

The dark skinned rockshaper jolted up from his sitting place on a fallen tree and spun around to the face the forest, staring at it with wide and puzzled eyes.

‘Skyfire?’ Res repeated the name quietly to himself while scanning the dark words with darting eyes, trying to spot the source of the sending, seeing nothing but trees.
He turned back to look at his travel companions. None of the others seemed to have heard the panicked sending. They were busy setting up a camp, likely sending and talking to each other, drowning out the unfamiliar sending.
All were accounted for and he hadn’t heard anything about anybody leaving for a hunt.
Res tilted his head at the sound of yelling further into the emerging camp.

Well, Beyond was attempting to leave the camp on a utterly murderous quest for the bear they had been tracking for a month, but so far Arehe and Marakka were successful in keeping him in the area.

Res looked back to the forest, confusion clear on his face and took a few steps away.
Other elves?
‘Skyfire’ sounded familiar. He knew it was a very old word for ‘lightning’. He had heard Ice-Eye, Darkfire and Marakka used it a couple of times over the years, but the word was mostly a relic from a dark age of their lives.
But he was sure he had heard it in connection to something else.
Or somebody.
Res bit his lip, mind racing and digging up memories until a memory of an oddly angry, young woman arguing with Charring in a snowy landscape emerged.
Buniq.

The small, red haired girl Merheen had brought back with him after being gone for nearly a quarter of a century.
Merheen had cheerily refused to tell who her mother was and never once answered any questions concerning his whereabouts for last twenty-four years.
Buniq had been more open, mainly because anger easily preyed on her young mind.
She was well known for her long rants against her unseen parent. He could still remember the hours his dear Charring had spent listening to her frustrations .

Res looked back to the camp and spotted Charring moving an armful of firewood towards the newly established fire-pit.
----
The camp was coming along nicely, Charring noted as he moved over to the fire-pit where Fire-Fern was setting up her cooking area.
At the speed everything was coming up, the camp would likely be ready before the moons would be too high in the sky.
'Er,Charring, my dear, do you happen to remember the name of Buniq's mother?' Charring turned his head at the voice to see Res walking towards him with a peculiar expression on his face.

Charring gave him a puzzled look as he dropped the firewood near the fire-pit and brushed off his arms thoughtfully. It had been ages since Buniq had fallen into one of her notorious rants about her mother.
'Errrh, it was something-fire, I think?' Charring answered, tilting his head at his lover. 'You'd think we'd be able to remember, considering how much Buniq raged on about her?' Charring continued, chuckling. Res nodded, likely remembering Buniq's passionate rants about her mother and her attempts to use her daughter to gain her tribe's favour in her quest for chiefdom.
'Do you think it could have been 'Skyfire'?' Res asked, taking some of the firewood and placing it in the pit, watching as Charring  called forth a small flame that soon engulfed the wood.

'Skyfire? That sounds right, I think.' Charring said as the fire burned merrily and looked at Res curiously. 'What brought this up?' He asked, tilting his head. Res' eyes darted over to where Fire-Fern was setting up a table for the food she would be preparing later and suddenly grabbed Charring's arms and dragged him away from the chef and closer to the forest.
*I...there was a sending.*  Res sent and pressed his head against Charring's, making their headgear grind against each other.
*What? From where?* Charring sent back, confused.
*From the forest! There...there's other elves in the forest.* Res sent, wonder and panic in his mind's voice.
For a split second, Charring  wondered if the stress of losing one the crystal orbs to an bear had finally gone to his lover's head.

Res had been agitated beyond all belief since the gigantic bear known as Old Nes, had invaded Fire-Rock and had, for some odd reason, devoured one of the crystal orbs he had created out of the original Palace stone Zharo had taken with him after the crash of their ancestral home.

Charring stared at Res for a second, not sensing any madness in his sending or seeing it in his eyes.
*Are you sure? Maybe you just heard somebody from the camp an-* Charring started, but got interrupted by Res who narrowed his eyes at him and pressed his head against Charring's again.
*'Skyfire! Humans! There’s humans near the forest!'* Res echoed the foreign sending to Charring, who's face became blank with surprise.

Charring's eyes darted from Res to the forest, mind flying back to the times Buniq ranted her head off about her mother and her birthtribe.
*Skyfire? That Skyfire? Buniq's mother? The woman who wanted to wrestle control of the tribe away from her brother?* Charring sent back in shock.
*Seems so?* Res answered, surprised by the odd coincidence.
They stood there for a few seconds, looking like they were awkwardly embracing each other.
*What if they attack us?* Charring sent, breaking the silence.
*I-I don't think they would?* Res sent shakily, his hold on Charring's arms tightening.
*They think we're humans!* Charring argued, now grabbing hold of Res' arms.
* Can you blame them? Most of us are very tall and they likely can't get too close to get a better look at us!' Res sent back, tilting his head sharply in the direction of his father, Arehe and Marakka, who were among the tallest in the group. Charring looked over to the two elders who were still busy arguing with Beyond.

*We should tell the others.* Charring sent, moving to step away from Res.
*NO!* The rockshaper shouted into his lover's head, his grip tightening on his arms.
*NO? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!?* Charring roared back. Anger, panic and anything in between slipping into his sending.
Res shook his head, shaking off the emotions.
*NO! Just listen to me! If we tell them about this, they'll lose focus on Nes!* Res argued, desperation slipping into his voice. *If she goes any further north, we'll lose her! We need to get that orb back! Think of how more monstrous she can grow if we stop following her now and fail to get that orb away from her!*
Charring's mouth twisted as he opened it to argue.

'What are you two doing?' A cool, female voice broke their discussion.
The two men nearly jumped out of their skins and turned their heads to see Darkfire staring at them with a puzzled look on her face and her hands on her hips.
Res and Charring froze, almost comically.
'Nothing! We- We're not doing anything at all!' Res exclaimed a second later, and slipped his arms around Charring's shoulders, pulling him closer to himself.
'He's right! We're being unhelpful!' Charring said, sending Darkfire an apologetic look and bowed his head. 'Better go help Rixanna put up those tents!'
'Yes! Let's do that! We accept our punishment for being idle, Chieftess!' Res declared, mimicking Charring's bow and dragged the firemaker away.

Darkfire stared at the two younger elves as they bolted over to Rixanna, puzzled expression deepening.
She shook her head, turned her back to the forest and made her way towards Beyond to force her son's obsessive attention on something else.

The howling of wolves in the forest's deep didn't go unnoticed by the chieftess who had grown up near Timmorn's children.

Darkfire made it a note to tell both Marakka and Arehe  to keep an eye on the woods while the other guards would keep their eyes on the vast grasslands.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 7:04 pm

For the story that takes time during Kings

Poor Littlethrill! In Siege we got the sense that Aroree wasn't 100 % in control of her bond bird. Still, they flew quite the distance. I like how they notice that that he hits the barrier, it makes sense for it to do so. But also the absurdity of it is hilarious! In the "oh no" way. I love how unhelpful Beyond is, his sing-song attitude would have grated me too in this situation. And oo, the hivemind is attacking Winnowill! Good luck to them! =D

Skyfire era

Ah, I loved this! I love that it goes from being mildly puzzling, to Res and Charring nearly panicking! It really engrains what we talked about, that even open sendings are like being on wave lenght, and that some are just better at picking up sendings that are at other wave lenghts. The interaction between Charring and Res was so fun. I laughed so hard when they were caught by Darkfire! "We were being unhelpful!" Pike Rolling I loved that it ended with the howling not going unnoticed.

Wonderful work!

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 pm

=D

A continuation of the story set in Kings. (Now named 'In weird and confusing times'.)

Note: writing stuff happening under water is hard.

Kahvi had taken one final glance at Aroree to make sure she still had Venka in her arms and kicked herself away from the powerless gliders, sending herself deeper down into the dark ocean.
She readied her spear as the malign healer Aroree had spoken about appeared, her pale skin almost luminous in the dark water.

Winnowill was wrapped in what looked like seaweed and the remains of the robes she had worn in Blue Mountain.
She smiled up towards the Gliders, ignoring or simply not seeing the war chieftess, completely engrossed in dragging her former servants down to a watery grave.

In the same second Kahvi slammed the side of her spear into the side of Winnowill’s head, a bright sending bolt stuck the healer from somewhere above them, mother and daughter breaking the vile healer’s concentration and sending her reeling back in pain.

The two gliders, now free from Winnowill’s mental claws bolted upwards, broke the surface of the water and flew further into the raging storm, taking Venka with them.

Winnowill recovered quickly, angry confusion over the mental and physical strikes being replaced by fury as she finally noticed the Go-Back chieftess floating above her.

Kahvi’s expression mirrored the healer’s as she spun her spear around, intent on driving it through her head.

She didn’t get the chance.
Winnowill expression shifted again, back to confusion as she turned her head down to look into the darkness of the sea, as if she had heard somebody call out to her.

Beneath Kahvi,something massive, something bigger than the Palace moved up from the depths of the sea.

Winnowill reeled backwards as if she had been hit, arms flailing at some unseen force.

An entire island, surrounded by mountains slipped out of the darkness, moving towards them with a terrifying speed. 
Kahvi’s eyes widened as she saw what looked like a massive,bright shield that covered it’s surface.

Winnowill seemed to collapse in on herself, mouth opening in a silent scream. Kahvi kicked herself away from the healer, eyes now fixed on the moving landmass.
Winnowill’s hands flew up to her head, as if to protect herself from something.

Kahvi could sense it as it lay into the other woman.

A sending that could have shattered rock with its intensity had exploded from the underwater landmass and was being aimed solely at Winnowill, who screamed,twisted and contorted under the attack.

Any sendings she put up as defense or attack dissolved instantly, like spiderweb against fire.
Kahvi looked on as the the healer kicked,screamed and twisted in the water until the sending seemed to break something in her mind.

With one final twitch, Winnowill stilled. Her face grew blank and her limbs lost their strength as she slowly fall backwards.
Kahvi kicked herself away from the falling woman and the still rising landscape, her lungs burning for air.

She was further down that she had thought. 
Kahvi cursed Rayek and viciously kicked the water, propelling herself further up, not noticing how a small part of the shield on the island seem to shutter, before it bulged outwards like a tendril and shot up towards her.

The magic field was faster than Kahvi and engulfed her in seconds, separating her from the sea and dragged her downwards towards its source.

Kahvi gasped for breath as most of the water evaporated from her shield bubble, causing her to slump against solid magic with a ‘thud’.
‘BLASTED BEAR POKING MAGIC!’ She roared, slamming her arms against the see-through walls.

As the tendril speedily brought her down to whatever was beneath the shield, the island stopped it ascent and started descending into the darkness again.

The light beneath the shield nearly made Kahvi think it was midday, almost blinding her the rest of the way.  

She slumped against the ground as the shield bubble released her onto a grassy ground, her sense overcome by the area’s intense scent of fruit.

Voices, filled with worry and fright filled the air.
Kahvi drew herself up, blinking at a crowd that was now standing a few feet away from her. 

Elves, most as tall as Aroree had been, regarded her with curiosity.
In front of them, and closer to her, stood a gigantic elf woman with long, dark red braided hair. A trident in one hand and big purple apple in the other.

‘Well then.’ She said, giving the apple a weird look before tossing it over her shoulder and looking at her with a raised eyebrow. ‘This day just keeps getting weirder, huh.’

Last edited by Shadowpath on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Startear wrote:
For the story that takes time during Kings

Poor Littlethrill! In Siege we got the sense that Aroree wasn't 100 % in control of her bond bird. Still, they flew quite the distance. I like how they notice that that he hits the barrier, it makes sense for it to do so.  But also the absurdity of it is hilarious! In the "oh no" way. I love how unhelpful Beyond is, his sing-song attitude would have grated me too in this situation. And oo, the hivemind is attacking Winnowill! Good luck to them! =D

Skyfire era

Ah, I loved this! I love that it goes from being mildly puzzling, to Res and Charring nearly panicking! It really engrains what we talked about, that even open sendings are like being on wave lenght, and that some are just better at picking up sendings that are at other wave lenghts. The interaction between Charring and Res was so fun. I laughed so hard when they were caught by Darkfire! "We were being unhelpful!" Pike Rolling I loved that it ended with the howling not going unnoticed.

Wonderful work!
XD I'm so glad you like them!
I'll admit, I feel bad for doing that to Littlethrill. I've always assumed he (?) was knocked unconscious when he hit the water.

I'm really happy the dialog between Charring and Res came off as good! =D They're very fun to write.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Originally for the September grab-bag. It kinda grew too big, so I don't feel I can post it in that thread. (Sorry about that.)
Forgot to mention this ties in with Wavelength.

Rustling Leaves
a birth (be creative with it)
a mystery
a weapon 

Charaters, Arehe, Beyond,Marakka,Res. Lots of others mentioned.

Note 1: A large group of (25) Timeless are out hunting a massive, magic infused bear and after a month of tracking and chasing they finally manage to locate and corner it in a forest. 
Note 2: Marakka is…weird. He’s usually nice and friendly, but he has some weird ways of handling things.
I’d blame the fact he’s one of Timmorn’s children that had his wolfblood altered.
Note 3: This turned out longer than I thought. 
Note 4: It wasn’t supposed to be this long.
Note 5: CAN I STOP WRITING NOOOOOOOOW.
Note 6: Sorry for errors.
Note 7: Sorry if I'm being to harsh on the Hunt.

Title: Howls.
Summery: Two half brothers who haven’t been good communicating with each other decide to do so while keeping watch.

-----

The leafs rustled in the cold night, causing Arehe to wrap himself in another blanket and lean back into the seat he had shaped out of stone. Despite having been a guard in the Shadowground’s mountain range for ages, the mountains had never been as cold as the area here was.

He had thought it was weird, but the general thought among the Timeless was the ambient magic in the Shadowgrounds messed with everything. The trees looked like they were all dancing and glowed in night, humans grew docile and the air was pleasantly warm nearly all year round.

‘AYOOOOOOAAAAA’ 

A howl split the air, shattering the otherwise near silent forest.
Arehe leaned to the side, grasping for his spear out of reflex, before returning to his previous position. The wolves sounded like they were still deep in the forest and no threat to them or their newly established camp.

Darkfire had ordered him and Marakka to keep watch over the forest’s edge, while Bearstalker and Feneak watched the grasslands for possible threats.
Or rather, Marakka was supposed to be keeping watch with him.

Marakka had gotten more and more upset by the howling and had suddenly bolted into the camp, cursing his ‘old wolf-father’ and most of his long-dead siblings to the coldest mountain in the world and said he’d find an replacement to take his watch.

‘Erh, those howls are still a fair distance away, yes?’ Somebody from inside the camp asked.

Arehe turned his head towards the camp to see his son, Res peaking out of the tent he shared with Ice-Cinder and Charring.
Arehe raised an eyebrow at his son. He looked oddly worried.
*They’re the same distance they’ve always been.* Arehe sent, noticing the worry fade a bit.

‘Oh? Tha-that’s good! Good!’ Res said shakily, eyes darting from his father to the forest before retreating into the tent.
Arehe didn’t give his son’s worry a second thought. They were all armed and easily repel a pack of wolves if they decided to attack.

A few minutes later somebody let out an high-pitched shout and knocked over several of Fire-Fern’s cooking pots. Arehe got up to investigate, only to hear bells chiming and seeing somebody in purple and green clothes bolting his way.

CALL HIM OFF CALL HIM OFF CALL HIM OFF! CALL THE FURRY KNUCKLEHEAD OFF!’ Beyond screeched as he somehow managed to vault over Arehe, slamming into the taller elf’s back as he landed and took cover behind him, the bells on his three tailed hat chiming wildly.

*What? What are you going on about?*Arehe sent, trying to give his shorter half-brother a confused look over his shoulder.
The shorter elf was shaking with rage and dug his fingers into Arehe’s shoulders.

‘Your knucklehead of a bedmate is out to murder me! He’s all sharp teeth and claws! CALL HIM OFF!’ Beyond shrieked,shaking his brother viciously and pointed to a halfway shape-changed Marakka that was coming out of the camp’s darkness and moving towards them.

A shape-changed Marakka looked much like his father had back in his day. Except Timmorn never had the physical head of wolf and didn’t abuse his appearance to deliberately scare other people. 

Arehe rolled his eyes at the black furred wolf-man that had apparently chased Beyond through the camp in order to make him take guard duty.
Instead of asking or ordering like a reasonable person, Arehe thought to himself. 

Marakka snapped his jaws together, eyes focused on Beyond, making the younger elf dig his fingers into Arehe’s shoulders even harder.

Arehe made a wry face the his shape-changed bedmate. For most people it would be hard to tell, but Marakka was grinning like an idiot.
Arehe lightly tapped Marakka’s snout with a hand to get his attention away from Beyond.
*Really? Was that necessary?* Arehe sent, ice blue eyes narrowing at Marakka. *He’s been making a racket all day and when he finally stops, you start him up again?*
Marakka made an odd, guttural sound that Arehe recognized as laughter, causing him to send his bedmate a disapproving look. 

‘Wooould you please tell me why he’s trying to murder meee?’ Beyond hissed behind him, fingers digging further into Arehe’s shoulder. ‘I haven’t done anything to deserve getting chewed on! I mean, yes, I did spend most of the day fighting and arguing with both of you, but that was hours ago an-’ Beyond continued, trailing off.

*He’s not trying to murder you.* Arehe sent, interrupting Beyond’s raving. He looked over his shoulder and made eye contact with his brother. *He…erh, wants you to take over his guard position.*

Beyond stilled, blinked at him and sent Marakka a murderous glare.
What is this? The dawn of The Wolf-Mother’s children? You can’t just order me around or force me to do things because you’re bigger and stronger than me!’ Beyond snarled behind Arehe, peaking up behind his shoulder.

Marakka made the guttural noise again before snapping his jaws together at Beyond, who sank down behind Arehe again.
Arehe growled, snapped his fingers in front of Marakka’s lupine face. 
*Enough! Off with you!* He sent angrily and pointed to one of camp’s tents. *And for the love of everything, change back before you go in. Jirora will skin you alive if you show up like that.*
Marakka give a last guttural laugh before he went in the direction Arehe had pointed him.

Marakka disappeared into the camp, leaving the two brothers alone.
Beyond sucked in an angry breath, tossed his hands into the air and made some comment about Marakka being a ‘blasted son of a lopsided, lovesick pus-slug’ and went over to the stone seat Marakka had previously occupied. 
Arehe cast one last look in Marakka’s direction before returning to his own seat.

After a few seconds of intense silence a shrill screech could be heard coming from Jirora’s tent, followed by sound that might have been Marakka getting punch into the floor by Jirora.
Arehe covered his face with a gloved hand while Beyond growled up a storm.
_____
After half an hour Beyond broke the silence.
‘Marakka is an idiot.’ He said in a completely blank tone.
*Because he shape-changed and chased you?* Arehe asked, continuing to work on a spear he had been trying to repair.

‘No. He’s an ass for doing that. He’s an idiot for chasing me here.’ Beyond continued, tilting his head at the forest. 
Arehe gave him a blank look.

‘To the edge of the camp? I’ve been trying to leave the camp ever since we got here? I’ve been fighting and arguing with both of you for hours because you wouldn’t let me leave? And now I’ve been placed here by one of you?’ Beyond said, spreading his arms to include the area. ‘I could run off now and find that blasted bear. If I wanted to!’ He said, letting his hands drop down to rest on his knees.
Arehe shook his head and chuckled.

‘Goodness. My icy brother chuckles. The Frozen Mountains must be melting in the now summery north.’ Beyond said incredulously, eyes wide with mock-shock. ‘Jirora really did the impossible when she healed you, back when you two Recognized. You’ve been becoming nicer and nice since…what was is she blasted out of your head? I never got the whole story because…erh, I wasn’t listening at the time and Old Nes crippled me bit later and I got stuck in a human village for ten years?’ Beyond babbled in a somewhat awkward tone.

Genuine curiosity gleamed in his eyes. He hoped to have a mystery solved.

*’A malignant soul fragment from a long dead High One who died with the deepest hatred to world in her soul.’* Arehe sent in a bland tone, using the same words Jirora had when she had explained it to his parents, Chenah and Zharo. 

‘Because you Recognized her just as she decided to toss herself of a cliff? Did I get that right?’ Beyond asked and stared at him with something akin to horrified wonder.
Arehe shrugged his shoulders. *That’s what Jirora said. I don’t remember thathappening? One day I just…stopped feeling anything besides an never ending…erh, indifference towards everything.*

A deep and slightly awkward silence settled over the two, the only sound coming from the crackling fire-pit inside the camp.

Beyond clapped his hands together, as if to break the moment.
‘But! You’ve gotten better and friendlier!’ Beyond said cheerily. Inwardly hoping Arehe didn’t take offence. He liked being able to talk his brother’s ears off andhaving conversations with him that didn’t consist of ‘Mrh’ and ‘no’.
‘I-I mean, you weren’t…you didn’t talk and didn’t take part of celebrations or the like. And now you do!’ Beyond stammered nervously. Worried he had misstepped. 

Arehe didn’t seem to mind, he just kept trying to get the spear’s leather wrapping to stick.
*Marakka keeps saying the same thing. Says I’m easier to get a laugh out of.*
Arehe sent, and suddenly made a wry face. *Although he sounds…annoyed whenever he mentions it.*
Beyond’s mouth twisted. ‘Annoyed? Over you getting better?’ He asked, eyebrows coming crashing down.
*Over it not being him that that helped me get better, I think.* Arehe sent, expression darkening a bit. He jammed the repaired spear into the ground and started working on another.
Beyond leaned back in his seat, face clouding as the conversation came to an end with something he wasn’t sure he knew how to handle.
___

More howling followed. The unseen animals filled the night with their song, making some of the Timeless in the go outside and listen.

‘Do my cousins celebrate the birth of their young?’ Beyond asked suddenly,looking over to Arehe with utter bewilderment in his eyes.
Arehe returned the look, not understanding the question.

*Your cousins…?* Arehe sent, wondering if Beyond had somehow missed the celebrations of Crimvah’s little daughter and Darksun’s twins some years back.

‘The wolves.’ Beyond said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
*The wolves aren’t your cousins.* Arehe sent, Crimvah and Darksun being pushed out of his head by more puzzlement. 
‘Well no, I don’t know what they actually are to me. Calling them ‘cousins’ is just the easiest to say.’ Beyond replied.

Arehe stared at him like he had completely lost his mind.
*The wolves aren’t your cousins, Beyond.* Arehe tried again.
‘Of course they are.’ Beyond said sharply, like that specific point simply wasn’t up to discussion.
*Please explain?* Arehe sent, blinking in confusion.
Beyond raised an eyebrow at him, leaned away from him and picked something up from the ground.
Leaning back, Beyond held up a long stick and wiggled it slightly at Arehe who tilted his head at him.

Beyond leaned forwards and started drawing in the loose earth.
‘My mother, Darkfire,’ He said, drawing the head of a woman with wild hair. ‘- is the daughter of Little-Sun,’ Beyond went on and made a line going from the drawing of Darkfire to a drawing of a disgruntled looking man who’s hair looked like it was actual fire.
‘Little-Sun is one of the many children of Timmorn, who was the son of Timmain, the High One who ran off with wolves.’ 
Beyond continued, drawing a line from Little-Sun to something that looked vaguely like a very furry man and from him, he drew a line to a drawing of a faceless woman with long, straight hair.
Beyond gave Arehe a side glace, as if to see if he was listening.

Arehe nodded, waiting for Beyond to go on.

‘Timmorn was half elf and half wolf. And had offspring with both the elves and the wolves.’
Arehe looked at the drawings and then back to Beyond.
*Who told you all that?* Arehe asked carefully. 
That knowledge was not something that was widely know among the Timeless. The children of Timmorn that still lived in their tribe, Ice-Eye, Marakka and Little-Sun to name a few, were’t eager to share their memories of their former tribe. Too many bad memories and too many confusing feelings to deal with.

‘Little-Sun lost a bet to me.’ Beyond said and grinned, his sharp canines coming into view. 
*A bet?* Arehe sent, eyes growing wide and disbelief slipping into his mind-voice.

‘Mm-hm! He didn’t think I had the patience or dedication to make my needles myself.’ From a leather satchel he had at his hip, he pulled up something that looked like a long, narrow, very sharp, metal needle. It gleamed coldly in the moons’ light.
‘Took a whole month to make all of ten of them, but I made them. I’ve never seen Little-Sun so angry! He almost insinuated Deirran had helped me. But, after downing Dream-Whisper’s strongest Flamesnapper wine, he did keep his word and told me what I wanted to know.’ Beyond chuckled, and tapped the stick on the ‘Timmorn’ drawing.
‘Anyway! Timmorn! Busy man! Had a bunch of children, elf-like and wolf-like.Meaning, I’m related to the wolves.’ Beyond finished, dropping the stick and crossed his arms.  

Arehe made an ‘Ah, I see’-noise and strangled the instant urge to point out the wolves they could hear howling in the forest most likely didn’t have anything to do with Timmorn’s children.
‘And with that explained, we’re back at my original question.’ Beyond leaned back into his seat, staring his brother down.
*Er?* Arehe sent,still taking it all in.
‘Do my cousins celebrate the birth of their young?’ Beyond repeated his question from before.
Arehe blinked a couple of times.
*I…don’t know? I guess they might?* Arehe sent, thinking back to a time where nearly all he was able to do was take orders and do as he was told.
*Then again…I don’t…remember the Hunt being a jubilant lot? And they wanted to be wolves.* Arehe sent closed his eyes, thinking harder.

‘I never payed much attention to the wolves. Except when they and their elf-siblings tried to steal my kills.* Arehe sent a few seconds later, remembering one Hunt member who had been particularly stubborn and dead set on the ‘We are the true-born hunters and the right to hunt falls to us and us alone.’- mentality some of the more dominating ones had gotten into their head.  

‘They kill-claimed? Did that happened often?’ Beyond asked, wanting more tidbits from the distant past.
*Merh.* Arehe sent, expression darkening briefly. *It happened. Sometimes.They did it much more to Uli than me.*
Beyond’s expression became blank of his dearest beloved.
‘Why?’ He asked, voice becoming toneless. 
*The Hunt believed they were the only ones who had the right to hunt. And Uli’s parents were part of Timmain’s original group. I was was from another, smaller group,so they weren’t sure they could get away with it. Didn’t stop them from trying, tho.*
‘What did you do?’ Beyond asked shifting in his seat,leaning towards Arehe, eyes wide and gleaming. His voice became lively again.
Arehe shrugged.
*I’d knock them to the ground. Or ignore them and just drag the kill home, with them running after me. Growling and shouting demands. The last time they tried anything, Chenah was with me.* Arehe sent, thoughts going back to another time.
‘Uh-oh.’ Beyond’s hands flew up to his face to hide a particular vicious smile. ‘What did she do?’ Beyond asked. His great-great-grandmother had no tolerance for something like claim-stealing and her punishments were severe.

*She picked up the most aggressive one by the throat and sliced off his ear with her knife.* Arehe explained tonelessly. 
At Beyond’s surprised expression, he continued.*But they were relentless when it came to Uli. Every time she hunted something, no matter how small, they’d be there and demand she hand it over.*

Beyond pursed his lips thoughtfully, narrowing a bit.
‘Knowing my dear treeshaper, I don’t think they got what they wanted.’ Beyond chuckled darkly.
Arehe shook his head. 
*They didn’t. They’d try and take her kills, and she’d give them a brutal beating they’d barely be able to walk away from.*

Beyond raised his eyebrows until they disappeared under his hat. 
‘And they kept coming back for more?’ Beyond ask in a disbelieving tone.
*They did. I don’t know what they were thinking, but they did.* Arehe answered, finishing another spear and jamming it into the ground.
‘But…she must gotten them to stop? I don’t see Uli just letting it continue to happen?’ Beyond asked, hands falling down to grip the seat’s armrest.
*She didn’t. As far as I heard, they stopped when she decided to pick a fight with Timmorn and won.* Arehe sent, shrugging shoulders. Recalling Khistal excitedly telling him Uli would be joining them as she had been banished from Timmorn’s group. 

Beyond crackled with laughter in his seat. Likely imagining the ancient brawl and all the hysteric screaming it involved.

___
‘Why are you hogging all the blankets?’ Beyond asked some twenty minutes later, breaking Arehe out of his line of thought about magic infused bears.

*What?* Arehe sent back, looking in Beyond’s direction. His brother was still sitting in Marakka’s stone seat and staring back at him like he had suddenly become the main focus of his life.

Which was a horrific notion. Beyond’s attention to things tended to be never-ending and obsessive.

His bright green eyes almost glowed against the dark purple paint he had smeared over the upper part of his face. It made his eyes look piercing and eerie. 
’You are covered in three blankets. Why?’ Beyond asked, putting his hand on his chin.

*It’s cold.* Arehe replied blankly. 

’No, it’s not. Sure, it’s early fall, but it’s not that cold.’ Beyond said, shaking his head, making the bells on his hat chime.

*It’s cold.* Arehe sent, this time more insistently.
’I’m wearing less clothing than you and I’m not cold.’ Beyond said,raising a leg that was clad in thigh-highs and pulling at his tunic that was split at the sides.’It’s not cold.’
Arehe rolled his eyes.
*Are you trying to say you’d like a blanket?* Arehe sent, raising an eyebrow.

‘Yes! This stone seat Marakka made is really uncomfortable to sit on.’ Beyond replied,his fingers drumming over the stone. ‘Really, he’s a rockshaper and he can’t make a nicer seat? Outrageous!’ He chided mockingly, tossing his arms into the air.

Arehe chuckled at the mock anger in Beyond’s tone.
*Have you ever considered just asking for it?* He sent.

‘I have, but I like talking and I really like dragging out any conversations I have with you.’ Beyond replied, giving Arehe an intense look would have made others worry for their personal safety.

*Why?* Arehe sent, tilting his head slightly. He had been thinking this was both the most time they had ever spent together and the most they had ever talked to each other.

‘Because I grew up thinking you were bloody mute.’ Beyond said, crossing his arms and leaning back into his seat. ’For ages I thought ‘’Why is that mountain guard-brother of mine, mute? Why hasn’t grandmother Khistal restored his voice? That must be an easy thing to fix for her!’’ I was so confused and I ended asking her! And she just…giggled at me and said:‘’Oh, he’s not mute, dearest. Arehe just doesn’t talk. He sends! He’s always done that. Living in the avalanche prone mountains since childhood does that to you!’’ I was so outraged!’ Beyond explained in an exuberant tone, tossing his arms into the air, before letting them fall down into his lap.

‘Now, can you please stop hogging all those blankets and give me one? My backside feels like I took a slight trip down Porcupine’s Hindquarters back home.’ Beyond asked, face falling into an tired and annoyed expression.

Arehe chuckled and shook his head. He was more than a little unsettled by Beyond’s near perfect mimicry of his older sister’s voice, but tossed a blanket over to him.
Beyond cheered as the soft fabric landed on him.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Title: Endings.
Note: ‘Starai’ is my fan name for the High Ones. Because really, they must have had something they called themselves, right? Pronounced Sta-rai.
-------

Zharo looked up at the sky and shuddered. Clouds weren’t supposed to look ill.
They had never look ill before. Dark, heavy and ominous, yes.
But not ill. Not several shades of black and purple tainted by swirls of pale greens.

He had experienced all of Homeworld’s seasons and weather, seen how the plants lived,died and in the end, were renewed. 
Homeworld didn’t have seasons anymore. It seemed to be stuck in an eternal  grey, cloudy existence. Seemingly eternal like the Starai. 
In reality, their parent world was tired, drained of resources.  
The younger Starai had started a mass exodus ages ago. Built new star ships from the soil they could still manipulate with their minds. 

They were now settled and scattered on younger worlds and hadn’t been heard from since their departure.

The last star ship would be leaving in two days time, Adya had told him earlier that day, when he had managed to locate him near the edge of the jungle.

’We’re still preparing the ship, but you should really start collecting everything you wish to bring with you, Zharo.’ Adya has said eagerly, and went on to explain how many Starai were left to go on the ship and how empty their world was.

Zharo had waved as Adya had rushed back to their massive city to finish the last preparations.

Zharo had thought it had been odd for the younger Starai to seek him out in person and had seemingly spent several hours trying to find him. Sending would have been faster.

He was now wondering if Adya or possibly Chenah, half expected he might want to stay behind on the dying world, since it he had been there for longer than anybody else.

Zharo was ancient, even by Starai standards. He had been around when they were they were still clothed in fur, were far more animalistic and hunted the prey animals of their Homeworld. 
Sharp teeth and sharper claws had been his weapons, not wood that had been sharpen and was thrown at squealing razorbacks. 
Homeworld had ancient ruins of half buried cities in its dying jungles. They were older than any other buildings on Homeworld, and built for beings that had been massive in size.

By now Zharo was the only one around who had ever seen them when they had been inhabited. Been there and walked the long, massive halls.

The ruins were silent and wet from the light rain that fell from the dark and murky sky.

He liked coming out to the one that had been called Reir. Sometimes he couldn’t stop himself from trying to repair the broken surfaces, trying to make them look like the ancient, blurry images in his head.

Reir had been his home when he had been young. It still offered some odd comfort in this age where the sky looked ill.
Not for much longer, the stone told him when he let his hands rest on them. The end was near and all would crumble. He had to hurry.

He had delved deeper into the ruins that day, moving pieces of collapsed ceiling to the side and flew over the chasms that had torn though the city.

He had been so small when this place had been his home. Small, nimble and furiously fast. The ruins still made him feel small. He could have Chenah stand on his shoulders and she’d still not be able to reach a doorway’s lintel.

The rock floor beneath him remembered him. Just as it remembered those who first created it.

The echo of his claws clicking on the ancient stone were still locked in the floor’s memory. 

He sometimes saw small flashes. Flashes of himself being lead down through the halls by a gigantic serpent woman.
It made him nostalgic and heartsick at the same time.
------

An hour later, he had come to a section he remembered being a domestic area. It was filled with massive, circular rooms that contained the remains of tables, chairs, beds and other furniture.
The ceiling had collapsed and taken many of the rooms with it.
Zharo flew over some rubble, eyes locked on the rooms on the left side and stopped once he saw a gigantic door that had red stones embedded in it.

Zharo dropped to the ground in front of the door and tilted his head to the side, eyes narrow.

An ancient memory flashed in his mind.
---
He was Zha and his claws scraped against the floor as the many eyed, serpent woman pulled him towards the door. She tried so hard to be gentle. She could so easily break his arm, but she had no intention of harming him.

The many eyed ones were the dominant species on the world. They had gigantic and obvious minds and he could read her intentions easily. Reasons were much harder to understand.

The woman had called herself [i][i]Lokya when she had removed him from the tree hollow he had been curled up in. He hadn’t put up much of a fight. He had been too cold and too tired to do anything.

Lokya had been warm and he hadn’t sensed any malicious intentions in her mind, so he had just let her transport him to the gigantic place she lived in. 

He spent most of the time with his head on her shoulder,staring absentmindedly at three stones she had around her neck. They looked like little, molten suns.
[/i][/i]

She wanted to keep him in her chambers, away from the other many eyed one and the frigid world outside. She thought he was special for some reason he could not work out.

‘Shhh, my little Zha. This is your new home. Do you understand?’ She whispered and put one of her seven fingers in front of her lips.

‘Home?’ Zha was quick to mimic sounds, but didn’t understand their meaning. 

He continued to drag his feet, claws digging into the pristine black and luminous blue stone floor.

‘Yes. Home. It will be wonderful, I promise you. You wont stave or be cold anymore.’ [i]Lokya 
said quietly and placed her free hand on the door.

‘’Wont promise home cold wonderful starve shhh.’ Zha mimicked, eyes going wide as three red stones on the door lit up at the woman’s touch. They looked similar to the ones around her neck.

Zha heard Lokya sigh deeply and sensed the disappointment she felt as she understood he was merely mimicking her. She loomed over him and curled her four arms around his much smaller frame. 

Zha went still, didn’t want to be crushed by the many eyed one.[/i]

‘You must be quiet. The others will take you away from me if they find you.’ [i][i][i]Lokya[/i][/i] lowered her voice even more and pressed a finger against her lips once again. 

Zha narrowed his eyes at her gesture and tilted his head slightly.
‘Shh?’  He hissed, teeth bared in a feral smile. They gleamed in the hallway’s cold light.[/i]

‘Yes, shh.’  [i][i]Lokya [/i]smiled brightly and slid into the room, the door closing behind them.
[/i]

----
Zharo pressed his hand against the door and the red stones lit up, somehow intact and fully functional eons later.
The doors slid up with a swooshing sound and disappeared into the side walls, revealing a dusty room.

The room’s furniture has been tossed around and destroyed during one of the many earthquakes that had permanently ruined the gigantic city and collapsed its towers.

Long dead flowers and other plants covered the room’s surfaces, looking similar to spiderweb.
The remains of a massive bed that mostly resembled an over sized pillow sat in middle of the room. 

Zharo strode into the room, eyes flying over the ruined furniture and dead plants until they landed on a necklace that consisted of blood red stones and pitch black cloth. 

All around him, the ruins groaned deeply and shuttered.  Loose rock and dust fell from the ceiling.

Zharo cursed and darted over towards the necklace and collected it gingerly in his hands. He half expected the cloth to disintegrate the second he touched it, but it showed no sign of age. 

As if its owner had taken it off moments ago and was still in the room.

Zharo stopped himself from thinking about it any further, and gave the room one last look before he bolted for the door.

A massive, deep and fatal crack shot across the ceiling just as he got out into the hallway.
---

Chenah growled low in her throat as she tore a branch out of her way as she got closer to the ancient ruin she believed Zharo was, once again, running around in.

The ruins were difficult to get to. Most of the trees towered over the ruins, stood trunk by trunk and their crowns were all tangled and melded together with each other.

She couldn’t fathom how Zharo had gotten out to them without leaving some kind path for her to follow.

The much too tall and dying jungle had started to collapse on the ruins, further burying it. 

*Zharo! Answer me, damn it!* She sent, her mind reaching out to the elder Starai. 

There were no response. Zharo was either ignoring her or so deep in the ruins he simply couldn’t hear her.

She gave her last obstacle, a smaller dead tree, a vicious kick.
It took four other trees with it as it fell and let her glide down to a lower level.

She landed on what had been the entrance to the city. A massive, cracked stone slab on which an broken archway stood.

Zharo was, as far she knew, the only Starai who ventured into the ruined cities.
They were ominous, dangerous and the air still sang with violent emotions that had been born from a massive revolt that had ended the ancient empire.

The Starai shied away from talking about the ruins and had left them and their creators entirely out of their Scroll of Colours.

Chenah had long argued to have it written in. 

Leaving out empires,their makers and their downfalls could only lead to trouble. 

If they hoped to survive and thrive anywhere else, they had to remember how other had fallen, and learn from it.

Zharo knew everything, she was sure. But the elder Starai was hard to get anything out of.

She had been able to pry a few things out of him. It had taken ages and a ridiculous amount of pleading.

The ruined city had been named Reir and had been his home. He had witnessed the final battles and the total disappearance of the ancient peoples that lived there.

Why Zharo had lived there, when all the other Starai had been forest and jungle dwelling primitives, she still hadn’t been able to get out of him.

The slab under her feet shuddered violent before half of it broke off and sank into the ground.

Chenah snarled and shot up into the air and narrowly avoided getting crushed by the ruined archway that had come loose.

The ruined city crumbled before her eyes, the last tall buildings shaking violently before falling victim to their own mass.

*ZHARO!* Chenah’s mind screamed frantically, but she head no reply.

The sound of the city’s death was calamitous and loud beyond imagining.

Something golden shot though the ruined roof of one building just before it collapsed. It tore up towards the sky, narrowly avoiding the falling buildings.

The thing reached the highest point its powers could carry it,  and it arched sharply before it fell towards the dead trees.

Where it landed Chenah didn’t see, as another collapsing building forced her further away from the ruins.

Minutes passed before silence fell on the area.

From behind the trees she had kicked earlier, Chenah coughed violently and waved dust away from her face, eyes blinking rapidly.

*ZHARO! WHERE ARE YOU!?* Chenah roared with her mind.
*...here.* A small voice finally responded from somewhere in the trees.

Chenah shot up from the ground and flew towards the area the golden thing had likely landed in. The dust hung in the air like fog, hiding the now broken ruins and the trees.

*Over here.* Zharo sent in the dust-fog. Chenah looked up to some of the much taller trees and saw the silhouette of an arm waving at her.

In the gnarled tree tops she found a small, golden furred being with the same shape as her. Unlike her, It had sharp claws and sharp teeth. 
It was holding onto a necklace like its life depended on it.

*Zharo?* Chenah sent, confusion clear on her face.  She expected Zharo had changed into a speedy bird of some kind to escape the collapsing ruins.Their current bodies wouldn’t have allowed for such a speedy escape. 

The golden being waved at her and shimmered briefly as Zharo returned to his usual shape.

The two Starai stared at each other for a few seconds, the dust falling down around them.

It took all of Chenah’s self restraint to not ask if the small, golden furred being had what they had looked like in ages long past, and forced herself to focus on the necklace instead.

*Is that why you were out here?* Chenah sent with some disbelief, pointing to the necklace. *For a necklace?*

Zharo pulled his shoulders up and smiled wryly. Chenah tossed her arms into the air, making the falling dust swirl.

*The oldest of our kind nearly got himself crushed! All because of some ancient jewelry?* Chenah sent disapprovingly and put her hands on her hips. 

Zharo’s wry smile grew in strength as he nodded.
*Just..wanted something important to bring with me, Chenah. Adya did say I should, before we leave.* Zharo sent, lifting his hand and give Chenah a better look at the stones.

Even in the sunless environment, the three stones shone like molten, blood suns. 
------
Chenah sighed, shook her head and offered a hand to Zharo and pulled him free from the wrecked tree tops.

*I’m assuming you’re done with the this place?* Chenah asked, placing a hand on Zharo’s shoulder and pointed to the fallen ruins. 
*Even if I wasn’t, Reir is done.* Zharo replied. *It won’t allow another exploration attempt.*

Chenah nodded, grabbed hold of his arm and headed back for their own dying city, pulling Zharo with her.

As they flew, Zharo gave his ancient home a final look. 

It was the end of everything. Homeworld, Reir, their own home. Zharo tightened his hold on the necklace, feeling a closer kinship with it than he ever did with any of the other Starai.

Zharo was ancient and he was about to step into yet another age.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Tue May 09, 2017 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am

I like Shadowpath! I don't know your characters very well yet but these two are very intriguing. I like that Zharo is old enough to remember when they were more primitive. Is it because he was taken in by Lokya that he lived so long, avoiding starvation and freezing?

I also liked the end when you stressed that he feels like he's leaving three homes behind. I feel for him.

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyMon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Happy to hear you like it Evie.
Evil Evie wrote:
Is it because he was taken in by Lokya that he lived so long, avoiding starvation and freezing?
Hmm, I think the correct answer is both yes and no?

Here's the next part, btw.

2.Memories of Mind and World.
----

The lids of a large, ball sized eye made of metal and other unnameable things snapped open and focused on the small, golden furred creature that had placed its paws on it.

The Far Seer saw what the little creature and all its kin would and could be.
The inner workings of the newly made machine sprung to life and a bright, multi coloured light engulfed the creature, changing its most basic structure, mind and soul.

The creature was swiftly pushed past the point of its own natural death as eons passed in seconds.

It screeched in sheer terror as its mind was opened and exposed to the world’s greater wills and became aware of the reach of its own.

The little creature was flung off the table the Far Seer was resting on, its limbs  twisting and morphing until they were long and slim, it’s paws becoming long digits.

It convulsed violently for a horrific minute as its body changed.
It collapsed against the floor, gasping for air as pain seared up its new limbs.

‘See, I said you should close your windows! The little Star-Eyes are terribly curious beings.’ A tall, disturbingly bony figure said to the creator of the Far Seer.

Lokya stared at the altered creature in shock and found her self unable to move, thoughts racing.
This was far beyond accidentally evolving her little fruit plant into an future version of itself.

Her faulty creation had brought about something that wasn’t supposed to appear for several hundreds of eons. Thousands, possibly.

The altered Star-Eye picked itself up from the floor, wobbling, stumbling and falling backward, lading on the floor with a thud and a sharp cry.

Lokya shook herself out of her stupor.

‘Come here. Come to me.’  She said, trying to keep her voice from trembling and slid forward slightly, holding out her arms to the new being.

It bolted, overwhelmed by sensations and thoughts.
It scrambled for the room’s window and disappeared into the jungle’s thick vegetation.

----

Zharo bolted awake, blinking and groaning at the darkness of his room.

Going to Reir always brought back memories that would play out in his dreams.
Zharo grumbled, rubbed his eyes and kicked the blanket off and got up from his bed.

His earliest memory had rarely replayed itself, being buried beneath a sea of memories.

It made sense it would emerge now, considering he had witnessed Reir’s final fall recently, he thought as he want over to the room’s window and leaned on its sill.

From his room he could the see the very top of the ship that sat in the city’s center. It glowed faintly in the eternal darkness that was only strengthen by the darkness of mid-night.

Zharo shook his head and went to get something cold to drink before going back to bed.
---

The Starai named Yionyi scowled as his fellow plant-menders moved the last of the plants from their nursery and took them to the ship.

He was curled up in a chair and refused to handle the plants anymore than strictly necessary.

The plants spoke to him, whispered angrily and screamed their grief.
True, plants sang to all plant-menders, but they only heard the pleasant, hushed whispers of how things were supposed to be.  

Only he heard their fury. Their anger of what they had done to Homeworld.
Their fury of not being allowed to die with it.

Their fury was old and cold, steady and everlasting.
And it was aimed at him. The others couldn’t hear it.

He thought they might simply save their fury for him. A punishment for the grand sin of forcing them to go on.

He had been the one that had brought most of them back from their withered state, forced them back to life.

It had been a mistake and it had ruined him.

He had cursed his eagerness to prove himself since the day Kaslen had found him curled into a tight ball on the floor of the nursery.
The plants had filled his head with images too immense for him and had knocked him our for several days.

The others thought he had simply exhausted himself and didn’t believe his ramblings.

The other plant-mender had only praise for him and his work, but their words were vile to him. They were like thick, disgusting honey drops that fell from their lips and threaten to drown him.

It made him ill.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyWed May 03, 2017 11:20 am

3.Dawn.

It was early dawn on the day of departure.
Not that anybody could actually see the sun, as the sky effectively blocked it at nearly all times.

At the entrance to the ship stood Gibra, blocking the way for another Starai, who was dressed in tough armour-like leathers.

The Starai’s name was Calidus. He was currently staring her down and waiting, arms crossed, for her to move away so he could place a big crate inside the ship.

At least she assumed he was staring her down. It was hard to tell, since his face was hidden by a metal helm.

*Calidus.* Gibra sent. The other Starai’s head turned downward slightly, eyes possibly leveling with Gibra’s.

*Yes?* Calidus replied with a small head tilt.

*What’s in this...crate?* Gibra asked, pointing at the large, dark crate beside him.

*Anything we need, should we run in trouble.* The armoured Starai sent. *Sharni felt it was...stupid to leave them behind.*  He bent down slightly and pulled the crate’s lid halfway off, to let Gibra see its content.

Gibra leaned forward and instantly sank back.

*Problem, Gibra?* Sharni asked as she came up to them, eyes narrowed in an almost malicious delight.

Gibra’s expression grew perturbed as she looked back to the things Sharni and Calidus were trying to bring into the ship.

*No, it’s just...* Gibra started and took another look at the items in the crate Calidus had brought with him. *Are these really necessary?* She asked, her lips falling into a thin line.

*Calidus likes his sword and shield, Gibra.* Sharni responded with a smirk. *And these things were invaluable to us on the moonless world. I can’t count the times that,* - she pointed to a massive, metallic, wrist thick greatshield with flowing patterns, *- has saved me from certain death.*

Sharni placed her hands on her hips. *They were infinitely more helpful than your lot and Homeworld were, at any rate.* She went on, with a cheery, but piercing tone.

Gibra reeled back as if she had been slapped. *You still blame us? After all this time?* She sent back, flabbergasted.

*You bet I do.* Sharni sneered venomously, drawing some looks from the others that milled about.

Gibra shook her head. *You can’t - * she started, but Sharni suddenly leaned in much too close.

Her face was dark with an anger that had smoldered for ages and got fed a twig once in a while.

*Can. Will.* She sent with a bite, before leaning back and letting her expression become as friendly as she could.

*Now if you don’t mind...?* She sent, as the crate started to float and followed her and Calidus into the ship. Gibra stepped to the side quickly.

*Good luck talking sister Chenah out of bringing her glaive along, Gibra. She’s far more paranoid than I am.* Sharni sent as she, Calidus and the crate disappeared to the upper floors of the ship.

*Is Sharni giving you a hard time?* Deir sent with a rueful smile. He, Adya and Timmain were leading a group of Burrowers and Flitrins into the city’s center.  

*Doesn’t she give nearly everybody a hard time?* Gibra replied, with a raised eyebrow.

*I don’t believe so. She likes to chew on people in leader positions.* Adya replied as he tried to get a couple of Flitrins to stop fluttering around his head.

*Her getting stuck on a far off world and being unable to get back wasn’t our fault.*Gibra frowned slightly. *We weren’t in charge of anything back then!*

*I don’t think it matters to her.* Deir sent as he struggled a bit with an angry Burrower that nipped at his tunic. * As far as she is concerned, we have inherited their failure and her anger.*

*T-that’s...that’s not fair!* Gibra sent, with outrage in her tone.

*Not at all.* Deir agreed with a shake of his head. *I don’t think there’s really anything we can really do about. We’ve tried talking with her about it, but there’s no end to what she experienced on that planet.*

*She needs help.* Gibra sent as she moved from the doorway and went over to meet the others of the Nine.

*We’ve tried to help, Gibra.* Timmain broke in as she touched the ships surface. The outline of a door appeared instantly, broke off from the rest of the metallic surface and became a gangway for the Burrowers. *She won’t accept it. She’s fought every attempt we made.*

Gibra’s frown deepened.

----

*I don’t believe you have anything to worry about Chenah.* The Starai named Maphara sent. She gave Chenah a small smile as the door to her home slid shut behind her for the last time.
*Zharo might have a hefty attachment to Homeworld, but I’m sure he wouldn’t actually decide to stay behind. He’ll do the sensible thing.*

Maphara chuckled when Chenah’s lips twitched.

*Sensible? He nearly got crushed by collapsing ruins because he wanted some old necklace.* Chenah sent back with a grumble.

*A necklace? Hmm. Could be worse, really.* Maphara replied with an odd, sharp smile. *He could have tried taking the Bridge with him.*

*Bridge?* Chenah sent, head tilting to the side.
*A giant, metallic stone slab. He was working on when I found him, ages ago.* Maphara sent back, waving her hand in a dismissing matter.

A memory Maphara had not meant to share found its way into Chenah’s mind.

The nearby jungle teemed with life and they had not made the sky ill yet.

- Click click click -

Maphara lay on the floor of a hidden stone house, head held up by her hands.

She was looking at her new friend with an frighting intensity.

It had taken her four days to get him to just acknowledge her presence.
He had been absorbed in his work for ages and had never been interrupted by anybody until she found him some two months ago.

When he finally did, he had just stared at her like she had been particular odd flower he hadn’t noticed before.

‘Oh.’ He had said, cold green eyes comically wide for a few seconds before his attention had snapped right back to repairing a massive, broken metallic stone slab.

Eventually she had gotten the name ‘Zharo’ out of him.

Oddly, none of the others seemed to know of the lone Starai that lived so close to their sprawling megalopolis.  

He didn’t look like the other Starai at the moment. His muscle mass was larger, his skin was oddly pale, almost pinkish. His head was round and hidden under honey gold hair that fell down past his shoulders.

Maphara’s own form shimmered as it changed to look similar to his. Her skin became a cool, dark brown and long white-silver hair fell down past her hips, sprawling over the floor.

Zharo’s eyes moved from the slab and landed on her. A jagged piece of metallic stone fell from his hand.

Maphara smiled brightly,edged a tiny bit closer and-...

Chenah blinked in surprise as the memory ended abruptly.

The sound of humming, wistful and forlorn made her focus and look around.

Maphara was already making her way down the hall, heading for the stairs that lead up to Zharo’s room.

Chenah cursed, grabbed her glaive that had rested against the wall and hurried after Maphara.

-----
Inside the ship, in area that served as food gardens, Yionyi wrung his hands, his face twisting with displeasure.

‘I...I don’t like working with plants.’ He said in agitated tone and pulled up his shoulders. He felt like he had said it quite a lot recently.

Serrilur covered the last seed in healthy earth and looked up at the frowning plant-mender.

‘But you’re so good with them, my friend.’ She said with a gentle smile and got up, dusting earth of her long tunic. ‘Even Kaslen thinks so. Most of these plants are here because you coaxed them back to life.’ She said brightly, holding out her hand out towards the other half of the garden.

Yionyi twitched at the word ‘coaxed’, toes curling in on them selves.

’I don’t...I don’t care. I don’t like working with living things.’ Yionyi said shakily, wrapping his arms around himself. ‘I don’t like working with living things that snarl at me. That tell me how we’ve destroyed them and our world.’

Serrilur put her hands on her friend’s shoulders, forcing them to lower.
’They’re happy here, Yionyi.’ She said, reaching up and touching the low hanging leafs of the trees. ‘See? They’re healthy and happy! Can’t you hear their singing?’

Her friend shook his head, eyes drilling into hers.
’They’re angry, Serrilur. Furious with us. Homeworld is dying and they want to go with it. We’ve stopped trying to keep Homeworld alive, but we’re forcing these plants to go on.’ Yionyi said, hands flying up and closing around Serrilur’s wrists and pulled them off.

How dare we?’ He hissed, turned around and left the room, leaving a confused Serrilur behind.

Last edited by Shadowpath on Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyMon May 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Yay! More story! I like seeing your high ones interact with Wendy's, the names you gave them fit in seamlessly. I really like Yionyi' s name. Focusing on the plants and how they don't want to leave is a great angle here, kind of like fungusomungus not wanting abode, because of how much a part of the world they are.

I had a hard time figuring out what was going on in the flash back, where I am assuming Zharo was evolved. I had to read it a couple times. This was really good. Can't wait to see what you'll share next!

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyTue May 09, 2017 6:16 pm

4.Departure.

Zharo sighed as somebody hammered on the door to his dwelling.
*My dear, it’s time.* Maphara’s voice sang in his head. Her voice always cheered him, chased away his own coldness with her fire.

*Yes, come along.* It was followed by Chenah’s much more insistent voice.

With some reluctance, Zharo got up from the chair he had been sitting in for the last couple of hours.

Chenah would drag him to the ship if she had to, he was sure. He could sense the worry she had in her mind. The fear that he would choose to stay behind on Homeworld.

He had given it some thought. Some small, nagging thoughts that took his mind to a dark and lonely place.

He could simply change his entire being until he found the shape that could survive the death of Homeworld and its sun.

From the back of his mind, Lokya’s voice echoed.

’We move forwards, my little Zha. Even when we don’t want to, we must.’

Zharo couldn’t stop himself from nodding at the voice and let the ridiculous idea fade from this mind.

It was more than his attachment to Homeworld that made him hesitate, though.
The last time he had gone off-world, he had been part of group sent out to settle on new worlds.

It had been disastrous and ended in a complete retreat. Only he and Chenah had come back.

It was likely part of the reason why Chenah was insistent on making sure he came with them. So she wouldn’t be alone with her trauma. It tied them together, in a way. 

He didn’t mind. Having ties to other Starai was good. It was necessary. It was something he should have. Homeworld had been overpopulated, but the only people he had any kind of relationship with were Maphara and Chenah.

*Zharo!* Chenah hissed in his mind and she knocked harder.
He heard Maphara humming outside the door.

Zharo picked up the necklace from a nearby table and made his way towards the door.

------
Timmain, Adya and Deir were herding the last Burrowers and Flitrins aboard the ship. 

*Half an hour more and we’ll be ready to leave.* Adya sent to Timmain as the last of the Starai came to the city’s center and made their way to the ship.

Around them, the air hummed, filled with excitement and sendings that wondered what was to come.

*What...why are they going in the ship?* Somebody sent at Adya. He turned around and saw Zharo, flanked by a glaive wielding Chenah and Maphara.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Gibra twitch slightly at Chenah’s weapon, but she stayed silent. 

Zharo’s eyes were fixed on the moving line of Burrowers.

*They’re coming with us, of course. We can’t just leave them behind to perish, Zharo.* Adya said, as Timmain came up beside him. 

*It would be too cruel.* Timmain said with a gentle smile, reaching out and letting a green Flitrin with purple wings land on her hand. *Leaving them behind wouldn’t be right.*

*And what will they be doing on the ship?* Zharo asked, eyes narrow. * Where will they be placed? A massive coop? The gardens?*

If Adya noticed Deir shaking his head at him, it didn’t stop him. 

*They’ll be living along side us, of course. As our companions!* Adya said in his signature cheerful voice . His smile suddenly faltered at Zharo’s incredulous expression.
*What...other reason would there be?* He asked with some hesitation.

*Butchering.* Zharo sent tonelessly, crossing his arms. *Their flesh is edible.*

The four of the Nine all reeled back in genuine shock and horror.

Before they could say anything, Maphara chuckled beside Zharo and placed her hand on his arm and gave it a tug.

*Leave the Nine alone, my friend. I’m sure they know what they’re doing.* Maphara sent, and gave his arm another tug.

Zharo scowled deeply, but let Maphara drag him off towards the main entrance. 

Timmain heard their discussion as they moved away.

*-...They should only leave the planet if or when they gain the ability or selfmade means to do so.* Zharo sent, sounding like he was repeating something he had heard a hundred times.

*I don’t think Homeworld has that much time left for that to happen.* Chenah sent with a skeptical expression and grabbed hold of Zharo’s other arm.

*They should be left behind.* Zharo sent with a hiss. *They’ll change by being near us. Change too fast.*

*You heard Adya. They can’t let them perish, Zharo.* Chenah sent,her tone cold and expression uncaring. She didn’t care about the the smaller creatures.

*They let everything else perish.* Zharo’s mind voice growled as both Maphara and Chenah dragged him into the ship. *Why does saving these things excuse their past carelessness?*

The three disappeared from sight, leaving only the last of the Nine outside.
The words stung Timmain’ mind slightly, but she quickly let herself focus on their current task. 
---

Yionyi scowled angrily at the other plant-menders that formed a half ring in front of him.

‘We really can’t let you waste you skills, Yionyi.’
‘You know these plants better than any of us.’
‘You should be here, in case something goes wrong.’
‘In a way, you are their parent. You brought a lot of them to life.’

Yionyi’s scowl deepened at the last statement and curled his arms around himself.
‘Then I have awful offspring.’ He grumbled darkly. ‘I want another assignment. Please. I-I can’t stand being in the gardens.’

The others shook their heads as if they were one being.

‘Let me be one of the guiders! Or a far seeker! A-a star tracker! Anything!’ Yionyi’s anger left him, forcing him to plead, rather than demand.

The plant-menders denied his request again and again and again, leaving him alone in the hall when a mass sending told them they were about to take off.

Yionyi cursed them to the depths of Homeworld’s dying sea and sank down against the wall, hands on either side of his head.

----
Homeworld moved further and further away immensely fast.

Zharo’s grip on his arms tighten as he fought to keep his shape the way it was and not fly through the see-through wall he was looking through and go back to the dying world. 

The fact he was thinking about going back was ridiculous, some part of his mind scolded and beat down the stubborn idea.

Somebody humming at the side of his head brought his attention back just in time to feel arms wrapping around his torso.

It was an ancient tune, one that had been played by the musicians in Reir.

*Maphara.* Zharo sent, letting one of his hands drop down to land on hers, fingers trailing over hers. 

*You can always visit in spirit, my dear.*  Maphara sent as Zharo turned around in her grasp and mirrored her smile.

Maphara reached up and placed her hands on either side of his head and gently placed her forehead against his and hummed an ancient tune that had been stuck in her head since the day a bond had tied her and Zharo together.

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyTue May 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Evil Evie wrote:
I had a hard time figuring out what was going on in the flash back, where I am assuming Zharo was evolved. I had to read it a couple times. This was really good. Can't wait to see what you'll share next!
Heh, it was a hard part to right too. But yes, your're correct. =D

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories EmptyTue Jul 04, 2017 11:27 pm

A small-ish (?) elfquest fanfic. 
Takes place during Kings.
Note: The Timeless live on moving island that can dive underwater. This possible due to them being ridiculously magic rich.
Editing because my Bright Frost decided to keep her original name and some other things.

—-
In weird and confusing times

‘We got hit by what?’ Res asked loudly, disbelief evident in his voice.
‘A bird!’  Beyond answered down from Fire-Rock’s lower, mostly empty plaza, tone completely serious.

Res looked up at the colossal magic shield that was stopping the entire ocean from crushing them and surrounded their mobile island.

It was still very much in place and they were still very much underwater.
Res looked down to his uncle, his left eye twitching slightly.

‘Beyond. We’re under water.’ He said numbly, his hands tightening around the stone railing he was leaning against, fighting down an ancient panic of failing his people in the same way the Circle of Nine had. 

‘Brilliant observation,Res!’ Beyond said, this time more cheerily, but as unhelpful as ever.

‘No, I mean, we’re under water! How in Chenah’s bloody spears did we get hit by a bird? Also,what kind of bird is so damn big we can feel it slam against our island!?’ Res exclaimed in frustration, not understanding how they could first crash into an insane, misshapen whale earlier that day and now get hit by a freakishly large bird. 

Before Beyond could answer, Maaldri, a dark skinned, silver haired healer stepped up beside him, lightly slapping the taller elf on the arm.

‘It looked like one of the birds from Blue Mountain, Res. The Glider’s birds.’ She said, ignoring Beyond’s mock outrage at the slap.

Res’ face collapsed into confusion at that point.
‘What? How…why was it out here? We’re in the middle of the sea?’ He asked looking from the healer to his trickster uncle, hoping they for some reason had the answer.

‘Maybe it was trying to cross over to new land and got exhausted? There is fierce storm raging up there, you know.’ Beyond guess with a smile and shrugged while keeping his eyes on Bright Frost, seemingly determined to catch her hand should she try and hit him again.

Res shook his head wildly and opened his mouth to argue,but was interrupted when the air in the plaza nearly exploded with magic as the area’s glowing Palace stones started to shine as bight as the sun and the living hivemind of the Timeless roared to the surface with a sending that would knocked their nine High Ones off their feet.

There were no real words in the sending. Just an sense of intense outrage and fury that was, bizarrely, aimed at something in the ocean. 

‘WHAT IN DEIRRAN’S GREAT SICKLE IS GOING ON?!’ Beyond yelled, his hands flying up to cover his ears, as if that would somehow help against the hivemind’s insane mindtouch.

Maaldri was quick to grab Beyond as the physical force from the hivemind’s sudden emergence nearly succeeded in knocking him down.

‘I think the hivemind is attacking something?’ Maaldri said, as she steadied Beyond. Her eyes flew back up to the baffled rockshaper who was staring in the directing of the Grand Gardens, where all the energy was being focused.

‘Res! Are we being attacked?’ The healer called out, hoping to catch his attention.

‘No, but you’re right. The hivemind is attaching something!’ Res replied with a voice like steel and kept his eyes trained on the gardens as he started moving down the stairs that lead down to the lower plaza.

-----
Note: writing stuff happening under water is hard.
Kahvi had taken one final glance at Aroree to make sure she still had Venka in her arms and kicked herself away from the powerless gliders, sending herself deeper down into the dark ocean.

She readied her spear as the malign healer Aroree had spoken about appeared, her pale skin almost luminous in the dark water.

Winnowill was wrapped in what looked like seaweed and the remains of the robes she had worn in Blue Mountain.

She smiled up towards the Gliders, ignoring or simply not seeing the war chieftess, completely engrossed in dragging her former servants down to a watery grave.

In the same second Kahvi slammed the side of her spear into the side of Winnowill’s head, a bright sending bolt stuck the healer from somewhere above them, mother and daughter breaking the vile healer’s concentration and sending her reeling back in pain.

The two gliders, now free from Winnowill’s mental claws bolted upwards, broke the surface of the water and flew further into the raging storm, taking Venka with them.

Winnowill recovered quickly, angry confusion over the mental and physical strikes being replaced by fury as she finally noticed the Go-Back chieftess floating above her.

Kahvi’s expression mirrored the healer’s as she spun her spear around, intent on driving it through her head.

She didn’t get the chance.
Winnowill expression shifted again, back to confusion as she turned her head down to look into the darkness of the sea, as if she had heard somebody call out to her.

Beneath Kahvi,something massive, something bigger than the Palace moved up from the depths of the sea.

Winnowill reeled backwards as if she had been hit, arms flailing at some unseen force.

An entire island, surrounded by mountains slipped out of the darkness, moving towards them with a terrifying speed. 

Kahvi’s eyes widened as she saw what looked like a massive,bright shield that covered it’s surface.

Winnowill seemed to collapse in on herself, mouth opening in a silent scream. Kahvi kicked herself away from the healer, eyes now fixed on the moving landmass.

Winnowill’s hands flew up to her head, as if to protect herself from something.

Kahvi could sense it as it lay into the other woman.

A sending that could have shattered rock with its intensity had exploded from the underwater landmass and was being aimed solely at Winnowill, who screamed,twisted and contorted under the attack.

Any sendings she put up as defense or attack dissolved instantly, like spiderweb against fire.

Kahvi looked on as the the healer kicked,screamed and twisted in the water until the sending seemed to break something in her mind.

With one final twitch, Winnowill stilled. Her face grew blank and her limbs lost their strength as she slowly fall backwards.

Kahvi kicked herself  further away from the falling woman and the still rising landscape, her lungs burning for air.

She was further down that she had thought. 
Kahvi cursed Rayek and viciously kicked the water, propelling herself further up, not noticing how a small part of the shield on the island seem to shutter, before it billowed outwards like a tendril and shot up towards her.

The magic field was faster than Kahvi and engulfed her in seconds, separating her from the sea and dragged her downwards towards its source.

Kahvi gasped for breath as most of the water evaporated from her shield bubble, causing her to slump against solid magic with a ‘thud’.

‘BLASTED BEAR POKING MAGIC!’ She roared, slamming her arms against the see-through walls.

As the tendril speedily brought her down to whatever was beneath the shield, the island stopped it ascent and started descending into the darkness again.

The light beneath the shield nearly made Kahvi think it was midday, almost blinding her the rest of the way.  

She slumped against the ground as the shield bubble released her onto a grassy ground, her sense overcome by the area’s intense scent of fruit.

Voices, filled with worry and fright filled the air.
’What’s going on?’
‘Is Res doing this?’
‘Why Is the hivemind still working? Love-Bond isn’t directing it anymore? It-it shouldn’t be doing anything!’
‘Who’s that? That can’t have been the one the hivemind was attacking, can it?’
‘That seems very unfair.’
‘Why was she in the water? Aren’t we in the middle of the ocean?’
‘Maybe she were on that bird that slammed into us?’

Kahvi drew herself up into a sitting position, blinking at a crowd that was now standing a few feet away from her. 

Elves, most as tall as Aroree had been, if not taller, regarded her with curiosity.

In front of them, and closer to her, stood a gigantic elf woman with long, dark red braided hair. A trident in one hand and big purple apple in the other.

‘Well then.’ She said, giving the apple a weird look before tossing it over her shoulder and looking at her with a raised eyebrow. ‘This day just keeps getting weirder, huh.’
-----
Yells of confusion and fright could now be heard coming from both the lower and higher plazas of Fire-Rock.

Timeless that had been inside their houses had come outside, looking at both the shield for signs of its failing and at Res for an explanation.

Res rushed down the stairs, jumping down the last seven steps and landed on the pale rock slabs of the lower plaza and ran towards the gates that lead to the Grand Gardens, followed by Beyond and Maaldri.
Just then, several hundred Timeless joined the hivemind in its assault against the unknown enemy, making Beyond winch as he felt the attack’s power increase.

‘I have to say I feel sorry for whoever’s on the receiving end of that attack.’ Beyond said, pulling a face at sending barrage. 

‘What are we attacking?!’ Maaldri yelled as she raced after Res,nearly colliding with Ceedea,who shrieked at the healer and bolted back inside her house.

‘Maybe it’s another insane whale?!’ Beyond offered cheerfully. 

Maaldri looked dubious at the trickster’s comment, but sincerely hoped he was wrong. The first whale had been horrific enough.

*SOUL SNATCHING SHREW!* One Timeless’ voice suddenly screamed in the hivemind’s sending. 

‘And now I don’t!’ The trickster nearly sang in a rage and suddenly bolted past both Res and Maaldri and ran up to the half closed gates and kicked them fully open. 

More Timeless joined the now thoroughly enraged sending.
*MURDERER!*
*ABOMINATION!*
*KIN-TRAITOR!*
*FALSE HEALER!* 

How wonderfully bizarre.’  Res grumbled as he entered the garden and looked around the area. ‘First we get hit by a whale, then a massive bird and now this atrocity of a healer.’

Winnowill!?’ Maaldri yelled in disbelief. ‘We’re at sea! We’re days away from any land! Why is she here of all places!?’

‘Explains the misshapen whale.’ Beyond growled. 

The hivemind sending stopped as abruptly as it started, leaving behind a bizarre silence. 

‘Where...is everybody?’ Res asked, confusing growing as the gardeners were nowhere in sight.

‘They’re near the wells near the back, Uli says-...’ Beyond started, but cut himself short as a part the shield above them twisted and billowed outwards.
‘Reeeees, what is it doing?!’  Beyond hissed at his nephew and grabbed him by shoulder.

‘I think it’s...pulling something in? Res said and gave the shield a puzzled look.

‘Something or somebody?’ Maadri asked, prying Beyond’s hand off Res and pulled both along with her as she started making her way to very back of the garden.

‘I swear to Deirran, if it brings in Winnowill...’ Beyond growled and pulled one of his sickles from his belt.

‘It wouldn’t do that!’ Res exclaimed, looking insulted at the notion that his creation would bring their worst enemy into their city.

They reached the back of the garden just in time to see a rather small, spear-wielding woman being placed on the ground by the a shield tendril.
----

Kahvi blinked at the bright, seemingly false light in the area and wobbled as she tried to get up.

The assembled elves stayed where they had been when she first showed up and continued to look her over.

‘Do stay down, you look exhausted.’ One of them, a weird mask wearing  woman with gold and silver mane said, peaking up over another’s shoulder.

Kahvi grumbled at the woman’s statement. She was exhausted. The only thing that kept her going was her fury. And her fury and exhaustion were now neck and neck.

‘Wh-where am I?’ Kahvi asked, hating how weak and quiet her words sounded to her own ears.

‘You’re in the Grand Gardens of Fire-Rock.’ The massive woman with red, braided hair answered, arms crossed. ‘Now, who are you and why were you in the ocean?’ Her voice was like steel and cold like snow.

Kahvi almost envied the power in that voice.

She once again tried to get up on her feet. This time she was more successful, but she almost wished she had stayed on the ground. 
Her muscles felt useless, utterly stripped of power, limbs too heavy to properly move.
A bone deep tiredness was settling in her body and it was getting harder and harder to fight off.

It was the warmth of the garden and the sun, she thought as her eyelid drifted shut for a few seconds.

----
‘Maaldri, Maaldri! Help!’ One of the elves called out. 

Next thing Kahvi knew, a woman with the same dark skin as Rayek stood next to the woman with the red braids.

She had a calculating look in her grey-silver eyes and looked at Kahvi like she wasn’t entirely sure how to handle her.
‘You can put the spear down, if you like?’ She said carefully, motioning to Kahvi’s spear that hang limply in her left hand.

Kahvi shook her head. Or tried to, it likely looked like her head was randomly wobbling around like the rest of her body was.

She had to move. 

Had to get back to the surface and find those two Gliders.
Kahvi told her self to move one foot ahead ahead of the other but the movement just made her more unsteady.

A part of her mind that she never listens to tells her there’s nothing to go to. There was nothing she could do now.

Both Rayek and Venka were outside her reach and getting further and further away by the second.

And she was now seemingly stuck on a magical island that was located under the sea.

Under the sea. She was under the sea.

Venka was safe, she told herself. Aroree was sad and fawn eyed, but she had held on to the small child well enough. She would take her to safety. They’d find the Wolfriders.

She would find Rayek. She would find him and make pay.

‘Venka’s safe...’ Kahvi’s murmured as her spear fell to the grassy ground.

The last thing she saw before extreme exhaustion overcame her was the entire world falling to the side and the silver haired woman rushing towards her.

-----
While Res stayed behind to keep an eye on the shield, Maaldri carried the unconscious woman out of the garden, a small group of gardeners tagging along.

Beyond, carrying the woman’s spear and sword hurried after them and quickly fell in step with Maaldri.

‘Where are you taking her?’ Beyond asked as they entered the lower plaza that was now filled with curious Timeless.

‘To Khistal’s apothecary. It’s nearest.’ Maaldri said and motioned towards a large building that was draped with colourfull cloths and plants.

Behind them, Uli called an end the day’s work and started putting away their tools.

Khistal, a woman with sun kissed skin, dark,waist long hair and piercing blue eyes was already standing in the door way as they approached.

We’re having a very odd day, aren’t we.’ She said with a peculiar smile and moved out of the way and let Maaldri and Beyond into her apothecary.

‘I feel ‘odd’ is too small a word now, the way the day is going…’ Maaldri said, giving the firstborn healer a nod and placed her patient on the nearest bed.

‘Help me get her out of these clothes, Khistal? She’s soaked to the bone.’ Maaldri went on and turned her head toward Beyond. ‘Could you go upstairs and prepare a room for her? I feel she should with out the others gawking at her.’

‘Consider it done!’  Beyond sang with a wave of his hand that was currently holding the woman’s sword and headed for the stone stairs, the woman’s spear resting against his shoulder.

Khistal’s head snapped over in Beyond’s direction with a alarmed expression.
‘Dear,don’t leave her weapons in the room!’ She called, but Beyond was already near the top up the stairs.

‘I don’t know, grandmother, she seem awfully attached to her spear.’ Beyond responded, almost cheerfully, from upper floor. ‘She might be quite cross if they’re not near her when she wakes up.’

Khistal shook her head, sighed and went back to help Maaldri

----
Zharo’s spirit drifted downward, towards the sea floor.

The darkness would have been near total, but to the ancient Starai the environment was bathed in shades of dark blues,pale grays and shimmering purples.

Zharo glided over the sear floor, eyes and mind searching for something most unpleasant. 
Something the others had refused to look for.

It took nearly an hour of searching, but eventually Zharo spotted the nearly luminous skin of Blue Mountain’s soul snatcher.

Winnowill’s still body lay caught in a gap in the seafloor, her hair tangled around herself and the odd vegetation that could survive in the darkness.

Her face was blank, eyes staring out into space but seeing nothing.

*Winnowill.* Zharo sent at the seemingly paralyzed woman.
There was no response. Zharo narrowed his eyes at the fallen healer.
She could simply be ignoring him.
*WINNOWILL!* He sent again, louder this time. 

Winnowill continued her silence and staring.

*Winnowill of Blue Mountain, soul snatcher and traitor to her own kin, answer me!* Zharo sent, his words digging in what remained of Winnowill like hooks.

Sparks of thoughts, tiny and feeble, flickered to life and died instantly.

Again and again Zharo sent a demand and got the same response.
Scattered, weak hints of thoughts that couldn’t connect with each other.

The hivemind’s attack had been as brutal Padara had estimated. Winnowill’s mind was shattered into pieces and couldn’t string two thoughts together.

Unless she died to something in the deep, she wouldn’t be able to send out her soul.

*Hm. I believe she can only use her powers to maintain her body.* Padara’s steel-ish voice flowed down to Zharo’s mind. *Change herself until she finds a way survive as she is now.*

Zharo nodded and reached out for the rock that helped keep Winnowill in place.

The rocky gap started to move around Winnowill, the rock reaching over and trapping her in place.

Zharo gave the woman one last look before beginning his return to Fire-Rock. 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadowpath tries writing stories   Shadowpath tries writing stories Empty

Back to top Go down

Shadowpath tries writing stories
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next