Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"How Come I Never Noticed...?"

Go down 
+4
LurkingCat
manga
sun girl
Redhead Ember
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" Empty
PostSubject: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 7:47 am

Those little moments you might notice from (re) re-reading some of the comics, making you go "Huh! How come I never noticed that before?"

For example:

Way back in OQ2, when Nightfall is in the desert with Redlance one of the things she asked him to remember was the moment when Redlance - or rather Redmark - saved Bearclaw from that longtooth.

Then, in SaBM6, Rayek uses the phrase "In Yurek's name!"

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
namuhna

namuhna

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 am

Here's an odd one that's embarrassingly obvious, I never noticed that Skot was the one Leetah healed in the very beginning of the troll war for the palace! It always nagged me a bit how he said that Leetahs hands were like warm milk in Dreamtime, but it took me endless rereads to actually notice that he is actually refferred to by name and uses the exacts words right there in the beginning! Also that Ekuar is probably looking at his own severed fingers falling from Guttlekraws head when he's attacked by wolves, that took me a little while to really grasp!

I ended up reading alot of this bit right now actually, and I think I noticed the following things before, but I don't think I really appreciated things like Oddbit being horrified and sad about Vaya, and Kahvi not caring at all when Maggoty is about to tell the go-backs about the wolfblood of the wolfriders (how on earth did she know this btw??? Very clever one that old girl!) and how Cutter reaches for Kahvi when Rayek reveals that Vaya was Kahvis daughter while Leetah goes into complete denial-land. And actually all of Leetahs arch here becomes even more important in light of recent events with removing wolfblood. Her instinct is to not care at all what One-Eye wants! And yet she eventually learns that fighting for life is not always right, but now she allows others to do so. How easy it would be to become like Winnowil, the difference is love indeed... The older I get the more I appreciate Leetah actually, in so many ways.
Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
Way back in OQ2, when Nightfall is in the desert with Redlance one of the things she asked him to remember was the moment when Redlance - or rather Redmark - saved Bearclaw from that longtooth.

Was that from the Marvel reprint extra pages? Doesn't appear in the Starblaze editions of OQ.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Jun 06, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes, these two pages were added later:
http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ02&p=17
http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ02&p=18

Sharp eye about the Leetah-Kahvi-Cutter interaction, namuhna - never realised Cutter's reaction before. One of the little gems in the early artwork.

namuhna

namuhna

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 am

Thank!
I also wondered about Redmark saving Bearclaw, I faintly remembered that something was added but I thought it was just Nightfall talking about soulnames, not the entire scene!
Now that I know it doesn't quite flow with the story tho, but the scene is still very good and necessary and I'm glad it's included.

But back to noticing things, I was going to mention Nightfall actually, when Kahvi strikes Cutter and he reaches for new moon but instead smirks and tells her he's going to keep the scar, Nightfall did NOT like that at all! Her in the background there is the grumpiest face I've ever seen on her I think! That's one of the things that you might notice and fits in with the flow of the story (just keeping things on edge even tho Cutter deals well with it) but when considering what happens in the future it gets a new meaning.

I'm really loving going through these issues right now, I'm looking for clues and playing detective and everything between #11 and #20 is just delightful to revisit. I really do not like the first issues, and I'm not too fond of Siege, so this is the bit I usually get stuck on when I have my rereads, and I could probably talk forever about things that I may or may not have noticed before but I find new meaning in now and notice in a different way.... maybe I need a new thread or something....
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 pm

namuhna wrote:
...how Cutter reaches for Kahvi when Rayek reveals that Vaya was Kahvis daughter while Leetah goes into complete denial-land.

Huh? Leetah doesn't go into denial land. She immediately stops scolding Kahvi for her cold ways and tries to express her sympathy... which Kahvi brushes off like it's deer dung on her boots.
Back to top Go down
LurkingCat

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 1:50 pm

I never noticed that in OQ19 after the battle Skywise sits next to the stone where his lodestone is from.

I knew that the stone was moved to the Frozen Mountains to be Guttlekraws stool, but I never noticed that  Skywise saw the stone and "reunited" his piece with the stone for a short while.

I wonder where the stone is now... Maybe we see it in Final Quest #18 again?

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 6:37 am

That's a very nice detail, LurkingCat! Thank you for the heads up!

namuhna

namuhna

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 am

Oh awesome catch! I even had a hard time finding it now!

And manga, you're right that was poorly worded and not very respectful of me to skip Leetahs sympathetic nature, I meant that when Leetah goes into denial-land (she kinda does, when she can't accept that others have so very different ways to deal with grief), that's when Cutter reaches for Kahvi.

I'm also reading Dreamtime again, and this might be more of an interpretation than noticing things that were 100% for sure planned, but I'm gonna put it here anyway.

I've hypothized before somewhere on this forum that all the dreams are somehow linked to Tammain, and notice in Redlances dream how he's cut in two. (Cutter also mentions how he'd rather not get tusk-split in non-dreams, the duality is everywhere in this comic)

And for the future, his heart-root is ripped out by "a smoke-belching metal beast like none the forest has ever seen", I'm starting to think that the vague image of the bulldozer might be a distraction, and what if what he's really dreaming about is the guns? That might not be very promising for either Redlance or possibly Cutter if Tammain took over the dream.

If they're dreaming about guns in such subtle images, how about good old reliable Treestump for the most practical dream of all of them! How to stop these metal weapons out of control? With water! Water in gunpowder at that time would make it completely useless!

Also, Nightfalls dream can be sorta be looped. Maybe Kahvis interruption made it seem like the end and the beginning is somewhere other than it actually is?

And Zhantees dream about doors upon doors in the palace has for me gone from calm and promising to very ominous now that Door is actually approaching the palace with his sinister intent.

Then again, I might be overinterprtating. I'm sideyeing Old Maggotys comment about ShenShens coming into her own piglet pie right now Suspect  affraid

Last edited by namuhna on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:09 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added tusk-split and practical)
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 6:08 am

Okay, this is something I've never noticed because I've never actually read said story, but perhaps someone else has read it and still not noticed?

In BoTC 3 Swift-Spear is referred to as fifth chief of the Wolfriders.
Uhm... Timmorn, Rahnee, Prey-Pacer, Swift-Spear...

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 6:30 am

It fits just fine if you consider Timmain to have been a leader.
Timmain, Timmorn, Rahnee,Pray-Pacer, Two-Spear.
Or heck, Ice.
Timmorn, Rahnee,Ice,Pray-Pacer, Two-Spear.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 am

Well... Timmorn is always referred to as the first Wolfrider chief, so that would leave out Timmain, who wasn't really a Wolfrider anyway.
And Ice seem to not really be counted as a true Wolfrider chief, judging by the Chief Howl in OQ4...
Besides, in BoTC 17 Freefoot is referred to as the sixth chief of the Wolfriders, bringing the number back on track, so I suppose whoever wrote BoTC 3 didn't realise that Ice wasn't supposed to count, or simply couldn't count...

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 7:02 am

It's most certainly a mistake.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Well, I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but I was reading Mender's Tale again today, the continuation of a couple of the characters from it are the same ones in Recognition! The older sister ended up married to the horse dude, Erghii, that always had the hots for her. He's here (and in other pages) http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=MEN3&p=8
And then he's here, with 'Summer Blossom', the older sister, as an old married couple http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=SS2aREC&p=12

Sadly, this is their farewell together before Asshole Angrif betrays and kills him Sad http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=SS2aREC&p=38

I can't believe I never noticed this before!
I wish we got a conclusion of what happened with the younger sister....

20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 5:18 am

Chot, Yun, Dodia, and Kimo weren't the only ones being injured and put in wrapstuff during/after the Go-Back War.

Look!

The guy being greeted by Shenshen, and the guy being greeted by Scouter.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 am

The Sunfolk, the Jackwolf-Riders were bravely fighting, too. Some might have been hurt by the lava bombs, too.

And don't forget the Jackwolf. ^^

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 pm

And of course it makes total sense that it wasn't just four named characters who got put into wrapstuff. Pretty sure Shushen and Lutei weren't the only ones who died either. (Of the Sunfolk, we know some of the Go-Backs who died.)

Pretty sure Dodia counts as a Sunfolk/Jackwolf-Rider, though.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 4:39 pm

The jackwolf! Hungry Wolf

(... not talking about a Jackwolf-Rider)

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 5:57 pm

It was a reference to your "The Sunfolk, the Jackwolf-Riders were bravely fighting too", as if the ones named didn't count in that category.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 pm

In this case count it as poor misleading wording, Redhead. This wasn't a well put English sentence.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "How Come I Never Noticed...?"   20 - "How Come I Never Noticed...?" Empty

Back to top Go down

"How Come I Never Noticed...?"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest Comic Discusions-
Jump to: