Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vaeri's Dabbles

Go down 
+2
Zadzi
Embala
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 2:20 pm

hey! so even i get the urge once in a while to write, though mainly i prefer visual art..so i'm creating this thread for all of my little elfquest stories and musings. probably the majority for a while will be my musings on Vaeri as she appears in Wingthing's alternaverse, her point of view on events that have happened. but there will be other things i'll upload when i get the time, like some old stories i found on my computer. so to begin...let's start with Vaeri.

Index:

First Memory

Every elf had a first memory. Some remembered important childhood events, some remembered inane little things that had boggled their infant minds, and some remembered intensely dangerous things that happened to them. If anyone had asked what her first memory was, they might have been disappointed in the telling. But she knew it was important.

Her first memory was looking up, and seeing a ceiling of tan shade. Something inside her wanted to be able to look more closely at that ceiling, but an infant is easily distracted, and so is she as a glint of color catches her attention. Dangling pieces of colored glass hang over her head, rounded and smooth to prevent tiny fingers from hurting on edges. The sunlight runs through them, making them shine and flash as they spin lazily. She feels a deep pleasure looking at them and reaches out her hands to touch the  things above her. She is unable to reach them, and she feels the deepest frustration, welling up from her chest. She begins to cry, working her way to an unhappy howl, when suddenly she feels hands then arms cradling her.

She opened her eyes and blinks away the tears and fuzziness, staring up at faces not entirely familiar, but familiar enough. A woman with bright golden eyes and black hair curly hair. A man with dull maroon hair and eyes as jade green as the pendant hanging around his neck. They both smile, and she feels, or does she hear, the voices in her mind, with a mental touch that is entirely familiar, and that familiarity makes her giggle and coo.

**How long we've waited for you, our dearest Vaeri**

Last edited by Vaeri on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Sweet and heartwarming Very Happy
... and I like the glass mobile for the kidling's craddle ...

Lunakat

Lunakat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Nice!

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 am

aww, thank you guys.^^ i'm really enjoying exploring Vaeri in huge depths, and had to do another dabble. hopefully i got some of the personalities right...^^0

Glider's Soul

Vaeri strained to look inwards as deeply as she could, eyes scrunched so tightly her eyebrows felt as if they would never loosen again. But she refused to open her eyes. She wanted so badly to touch that inner part of her where elfin magic lurked, deep inside the soul. She had heard murmuring from other elves, that some were born with a name for that deeper part of their soul. Vaeri knew it had no other name but Vaeri, and she was fine with it. You didn't need a special name to understand something.

And keeping her eyes shut tight kept her from having to confront one of the most terrifying sights in all of Oasis to a child not even a full eight of years old. She could hear the soft exhale of breath, the dragging of clothe over stone floors, and the sound of footfalls. She had to resist the urge to tremble and tried to look even deeper. There had to be something there she could use! She knew it was there!

'Magic is the birthright of our race'. It was what her teacher believed, and the one reason she had begged her parents to allow her to take lessons. The one reason they had agreed to let her. There was something inside her that longed for the sky and touch of the wind. And so she had beseeched on the eldest glider in Oasis to teach her how to become a glider.

She suddenly felt a light touch on her shoulder, and at that very same moment, she realized she had been holding her breath. Her eyes snapped open as she exhaled then inhaled sharply in seemingly the same second. She looked up swiftly, and gold eyes connected with gold eyes.

“You will never learn to float if you suffocate.” Haken remarked coolly. His tone struck Vaeri as something approximating boredom. She gulped a little and nodded slightly, lowering her eyes now. “Y-yes, Lord Haken. I'm sorry I...I was trying so hard to look inside for the magic.” She stammered out, and felt even a little more ashamed. She had been unsuccessful in her lessons, and she still hadn't the courage to face the lord of Oasis.

“You need only to recognize the magic, child. It does not hide.” Haken said, and as example, he let out a soft steady exhale, and rose a few handspans off the ground. It had succeeded in catching Vaeri's attention, and she stared with a mixture of awe and longing. Haken remained floating, but took a somewhat more comfortable pose, as if he were sitting on his throne in the audience chamber of Central Spire.

“Once you are able to recognize the magic inside of you, it is only a matter of allowing it to flow. And eventually that flow will increase. Like a stream becoming a river, as it were.” He continued, then slowly drifted back to the ground, his feet touching the stone once more. To Vaeri, the concept of rivers was still so foreign, even to the point of incomprehensible. But it had to be possible. Neither of her parents had any magic in them, but she had never been able to stop looking towards the sky. She knew she had the soul of a glider, if she could only unlock that facet of her soul.

So she took a breath and nodded to her lord, and once again turned her gaze inwards to her soul.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 1:54 pm

and another dabble, two parter this time! exploration in Vaeri's past and uprising.^^

Crafters Challenge Part One

Vaeri sat outside her hut, humming softly as she practiced different types of stitches in a spare piece of clothe. It was warm in the early afternoon, and she was settled in a woven chair with plush cushions on the seat and back. She could vaguely hear the playing of kitlings somewhere nearby though she couldn't see them, and an occasional bleating from the zwoot dairy. She let out a little sigh of contentment and smiled down at the shiny brightmetal sewing needle, one of a set she had commissioned from a trollkin a few years ago.

She was just beginning to experiment with devising a new type of stitch when she noticed the maiden walking down the path. She lightly stuck her needle into the fabric to free a hand and waved at her. “Shade and sweet water, Hisyka. And where are you off to? Haven't you planning for your flood and flower to do?” She smiled lightly. At nearly two full eights, the maiden was a blossoming beauty with dark golden full hair that puffed a little in the sun and bright violet eyes. Vaeri felt the vague tugging of daydreams, but resisted the urge to visualize cloths, which she did sometimes for some reason.

“Oh hello, Vaeri! The planning is going well, but I still need my gown. I'm actually just on my way to see Ahnshen about it.” Hisyka replied with a cheery smile. Vaeri felt a vague twitching pulse under her eye, but made a gesture as if brushing her hair back, using the heel of her palm to brush against the muscle to still it. “Ah. Ahnshen, really? Well you know, I have some free time and I've been itching to create something. Why not let me create your gown for your flood and flower?” She asked hopefully.

Hisyka's expression faltered a little, and Vaeri had to bite back the frown. Of course the youth would be hesitant, when Vaeri was a mere five eights, hardly older than the eight and seven girl. What was five eights compared to Ahnshen the elder weaver, who had been clothing the desert dwelling folk since back in the times of Sorrows End? And yet Vaeri knew she had talent, if only someone could give her the chance! She had proven herself right in knowing things deeply when she had mastered and excellent at becoming a glider by the time she was eight and two. She only needed one opportunity to prove she could probably even surpass old Ahnshen.

“Thank you Vaeri, but...I really think I would prefer Ahnshen to make it. But if I need another gown, I will try to come and ask you!” With a vaguely guilty wave of the hand, Hisyka quickly hurried away down the path. Vaeri let out a huff, biting the inside of her cheek a little to keep calm.

Very well. If Ahnshen was the cause of the problem, she would face it head on! She stood up and went inside, snipping the thread off the needle and storing it in its little case with the other needles of various sizes. She took a deep breath before she turned and walked out of her hut. Ahnshen, as a crafter of recognized talent and elder lived in the spire. Instead of wearing herself out climbing the steps, she merely called on her levitating talent, and floated up into the air as lightly as a bubble.

Her heart felt as lifted as her body as she rose up to the level of Ahnshen's rooms, and settled down on the stone once more. She gave her skirt a light brushing to straighten it a bit before she opened the door, calling out, “Ahnshen? Vurdah? Are you here?” She stepped in, looking around slightly. Many dresses and other pieces of clothing were hanging on the walls in various states of finish, and bolts of fabric laid out over a high table nearby. Vaeri had to withhold a slight sneer. At least she kept her space organized and presentable for company, even if it never came. But if she could execute her plan, that would change.

Vurdah was the first to greet her. “Vaeri! Shade and sweet water, how are you? You must be looking for Ahnshen, he'll be along in just a little bit. He's gotten so many requests lately, I don't know how he manages it, though he really should pace himself or he'll exhaust himself.” Vurdah went on, and Vaeri had to resist her eyes crossing or going out of focus. She had almost forgotten how much Vurdah liked to chatter. Her age certainly had not tempered her at all. She remained largely silent, nodding occasionally out of politeness as Vurdah went on talking and talking, about things she had asked her lifemate to make for her, about their son who was always being so reckless and didn't visit often enough even when he lived nearby and how he rarely accepted invitations to have supper with his parents, and oh it was better at least then when he was roaming wild in high ones knew what sort of places.

She was about ready to shoot a sending at Ahnshen herself when the crafter finally made an appearance after what seemed an eternity of waiting. Vurdah left to get some drinks finally, and Vaeri faced the elder. “Hello Ahnshen. I've actually came here on a bit of business.” She said a little coolly, but did her best to remain calm and polite.

“Business? Well that's a bit of a first for you, Vaeri. But I understand” He smiled gently, causing Vaeri to scowl a little in bewilderment. “You understand...?” She asked cautiously, and Ahnshen nodded. “Of course. And I'm glad you're finally being less stubborn. I would be pleased to make something for you. What were you needing, some new skirts, or perhaps a new shawl? I know you're very partial to the moth fabric, and I've just made some that needs dyeing, so it would be perfect for what ever you n-” Vaeri couldn't stand his attitude, or his talking on.

She fairly snapped as her eyes narrowed a little and she cut him off sharply. “Ahnshen! I'm not here to get anything from you, I'm here to challenge you!” She declared, and could vaguely see Vurdah peeking shocked around the corner. But she felt a sort of relish at finally uttering the words, and seeing the confusion on Ahnshen's face. “Challenge?” He asked.

“Yes, a challenge of hand between us. And whose hands can create the better gown for Hisyka's flood and flower festival.” She bit out the words, perhaps a little more harshly than she had to. Ahnshen blinked at her baffled, unsure of how to accept. He probably couldn't even remember the last time anyone had challenged anything, Vaeri thought with a vague sneer.

“Too long, you've been the foremost creator of clothes in Oasis, Ahnshen. It's time for someone else to step up to your level. Or even replace you.” She felt no shame in the bold challenge. She was fairly confident she could surpass Ahnshen. She had a fresh young mind full of ideas, while Ahnshen was stuck in his ways.

The words had the desired effect. Ahnshen gave her a deep frown, an expression of insulted dignity on his face as he gave a curt nod. “Very well then Vaeri, if you're so determined. A trial of hand and and head, in creating Hisyka's festival gown.” He held out his hand stiffly, and Vaeri clasped it, squeezing harder then she had to.

The battle was on. And she had every confidence she was going to triumph.
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Oho! It is ON, all right!

Loving the ficlets, Vaeri. I LOLed when you described Haken's tone "as something approximating boredom". Yeah, he has good intentions, our dear Grump High One, but he's never gonna win teacher of the year, is he?

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 1:15 am

yay!! and oh thank goodness...i was so afraid i was hearing the wrong personality in my head for alternaverse Haken! very relieved i got that right, and pleased beyond words i made you lol.^^

and nope...though i'm sure his unintented intimidation helped to push Vaeri to learn how to tap into her powers!

and now the conclusion of Ahnshen and Vaeri's challenge! who will win the battle of creativity? also at the bottom in the spoiler, i included the dresses from dollmaker i created to help me with my description in the dresses. and Hisyka herself!..just cause. :p

Crafters Challenge Part Two

With Vurdah's gossipy nature and swift mouth, word of the challenge spread through Oasis like wildfire.  Hisyka had admitted some discomfort over being the source of such opposition, but at the same time had to admit she was sure to receive the most beautiful dress she could hope for. Then again, as there was no one else she could ask, she really had little choice in the matter.

Vaeri had long sequestered herself in her hut, refusing nearly all visitors. The only ones who could enter was Hisyka herself, and her parents. When questioned about her daughter, Shoiri could only give a half smile. “When I first heard my daughter had invoked the trial of hand, I was so worried. But then when I learned she had meant it differently than we are used to..I must admit, I am..impressed by my daughters cleverness. I only hope she is not disappointed.” Was all she would ever tell anyone. And her father Ishar would only say he was proud of his daughter for her courage.

The days passed slowly in anxious excitement, much more than most flood and flower festivals had, as people speculated on who would produce what, and some laid bets as to who would win the challenge. It had bee agreed that Hisyka herself would deliver the judgment on which dress she deemed best. And though many begged for details on the creation of the dresses, Hisyka could only disappoint. After the initial measurements taken by Ahnshen and Vaeri, she had been barred from both homes, much to her consternation. So she was as much in the dark as the others were.

Finally the morning of the celebration came, and it was time for both crafters to reveal what they had produced. When Vaeri and Ahnshen appeared, both looked haggard, as if they had barely eaten or slept since the challenge was laid. The dresses were covered with a simple cloth, and brought to the center of where the dancing platform and lanterns had been set up, where everyone gathered for the reveal and judgment.

Ahnshen as the elder crafter was granted the honor of going first. “Hisyka, you are as bright as the sky and ever a source of smiles as such. So I created for you a dress that would suit the sky.” He declared somewhat theatrically, and when he whipped off the covering cloth, a collective gasp of appreciation rose from the crowd, and a soft moan of longing escaped Hisyka. It seemed Vaeri's challenge had lit the fires of his passion for creation, and the dress was surely among his masterpieces.

It was made entirely of light soft fabric dyed a sky blue, with a long sprawling hem, cut to accentuate her developing curves. His trademark cowl bust line and off the shoulder sleeves were present, with puffed and ruffled sleeves hanging off her arms. Yet under the sleeves was another layer of draping loose sleeves made of pale blue moth fabric. And ribbons had bee sewn to the edges of the sleeves, with a swooping pattern of beads dangling from the bust line completed the look.

Ahnshen, though weary, looked immensely pleased with himself. He crossed his arm a little and looked towards Vaeri, who looked very unimpressed. She listened to the murmuring of the crowd as they expressed their approval in Ahnshen's style, and some turned towards their betting partners, as if ready to collect their winnings already.

“Very traditional, Ahnshen.” She drawled slightly, making the man scowl, and someone from the crowd let out a snicker that was quickly smothered. “Certainly not the direction I would ever go in for a young lass of course. I went for something more...in our time.” She smirked a little and floated the covered gown in the air, letting the cover cloth fall from it.

A gasp similar to the one given for Ahnshen's reveal went up as everyone saw Vaeri's dress. Unlike the monochromatic colors of Ahnshen's dress, Vaeri had gone with hues of gold and pale blue. While her dress was cut to hug the hips and a little narrower around the knees, it still flowed beautifully from golden to blue. And along the bottom hem, designs had been painstakingly stitched in shimmering gold thread. The bust line was lightly ruffled with slightly twisted sleeves that ran up the shoulders, and attached to the main sleeves were long split sleeves made of pale blue moth fabric, brushing down towards the knees. More layers of blue moth fabric had been added over the dress as accent, and to finish, she had twisted braids of golden thread and stitched them carefully to the dress, going around the bust and sleeves.

Hisyka had been unable to resist. While she had expressed utter longing at the sight of the gown from Ahnshen, she held no hesitance in going to Vaeri's gown and taking it in her arms, delicately stroking her fingers over the thin gold thread braids. “Oh Vaeri it's...it's so beautiful! Beyond words, beyond joy! I could have never dreamed of such a gown! Oh thank you, thank you so much!” She cried out, hugging the older woman.

A few heartbeats of utter silence fell over the gathered crowd before cheers erupted, mingled with the cries of denial from those who had lost their bets. Ahnshen stared stunned, speechless, at Vaeri and Hisyka, even as Vurdah came to comfort him. Vaeri could only smirk smugly as Hisyka continued to thank her, unable to take her eyes off the dress. Her eyes met Ahnshen's briefly, and he gave a reluctant nod of defeat to her. Vaeri's smile grew, and she felt her heart swelling with joy as Hisyka left to put on her new gown, and others came to her, asking for her to make clothing for them.

Hisyka's Dresses:
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Vaeri definitely found her place! Even more - she laid claim and maintained it at best. sunny

btw: I love your choice of light blue melting with silken gold. It contrasts with Hisyka's velvet skin and matches her locks perfectly.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 7:31 pm

thank you so much <3 i really wanted to showcase a more traditional style with Ahnshen, and i just can't see him as the type to frequently use multiple colors in one dress..i mean when you consider gowns like Savah and Ahdri, and Moonshade...so i wanted it to be like tradition vs modern. and i really think Vaeri's dress would more suit the modern age of Oasis.^^
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 3:40 pm

another drabble i had really wanted to do. i've never been able to establish exactly when Vaeri was born, but i think i finally figured it out. i hope it works and Wingthing doesn't mind. >.<

Eyes of a Child

Young Vaeri had never been to a festival celebration before, and so she stared with wide golden eyes filled with wonder. Music was played by a small group of musically talented elves, beating on drums and playing pipes, while the adult elves whirled and danced on the platform. The sun was setting, but lanterns had been hung all around, so the celebration would be able to last long into the night.

And in the place on honor by the dais where the lord and lady of Oasis sat was the tan skinned Longfeather and his solidly built lifemate, Drell. And above them, the cause for the celebration, an infant girl who floated in the air, carefully harnessed and tethered with moth fabric and leather. Vaeri had heard the announcement, and knew this new kitling was named Saffron, and there was much ado about the birth of another glider child.

At nearly four years old, Vaeri felt a bit pleased there was another child she would be able to play with when she got older, even better it was another girl. She wondered a little though if everyone was acting like this because she was a glider? Everyone seemed to find an opportunity to come to the lifemates and congratulate them yet again, while staring and cooing over the kitling. Though she squirmed with discomfort to remember a tall dark skinned and black haired woman who had approached the child only to be rendered to tears. Adults never cried like that, did they? But the woman had been escorted away from the celebration to calm herself, and as quickly as she was remembered, she was forgotten.

Vaeri felt her toes wiggling, and a restlessness rising up her legs. She looked at her parents and leaned close, sending so she wouldn't have to holler over the music and noise of the celebration. **Mama, papa, may I go dance?** she looked up at them hopefully. Shoiri and Ishar exchanged a brief glance, and probably a sending Vaeri couldn't hear, before they both gave a smile and nod. **Try to stay out of the way of the more wild dancers. Especially Leetah the healer and Coppersky. You might get hurt.** Her mother forewarned, and Vaeri fairly beamed.

She hopped up and gleefully brushed her hands over her little moth fabric skirt and scampered over to the platform where the other elves danced. She obeyed the ruling voices of her childhood, and avoided the section where the more exuberant elves whirled in time with the music, and began doing little steps and leaps of her own.

It was fun and intoxicating to feel the music with your body, even as her heart began to pound from the light exertion. And her young body lacked the stamina of the older elves. In a short period of time, she was satisfied and done with dancing for now. She backed away from the other dancers and began looking around. She could spot familiar faces.

Klipspringer, whom she knew mostly as the elf with the honor of being the first born at Oasis, and his lovely but petite lifemate Cholla. They were standing side by side, holding onto each other and swaying gently to the music. She briefly wondered why they weren't dancing like the other couples, but brushed the thought away.

A group of elves sat together, some having large jackal like creatures with them, and Vaeri wrinkled her nose a little to see some of them gnawing on raw slices of meat. Why wouldn't they cook it, when it surely tasted so much better with spices and flavorings? One she recognized as the leader, the...what did they call him? Not lord. She belatedly remembered the odd word. He was the chief of the group, distinguished by the topknot of brown hair at the crown of his head. He was smiling and looking with lovey eyes at a lad with black hair and green eyes beside him.

And then her eyes were drawn once more to the dais, where she saw the Lord Haken and Lady Chani sitting together. Chani was lightly sipping from a goblet, and...again her nose wrinkled a bit to see the lord of Oasis with those lovey eyes as well, directed towards his lifemate. Were adult elves that lifemated always like that? She wanted to make a face. But then her attention was caught by the figure somewhat hidden in shadow near them. It was an adolescent lass, with bright blue eyes and a straight waterfall of red hair, brighter than her own auburn strands.

But most interesting was the expression on her face. Largely impassive, but with under tones of...boredom and something else. Something unpleasant. She had thought everyone was happy at festivals. A moments shy hesitance before she skipped over to the older girl, and she peeked over the dais a little up at her.

“Hello. What's your name?” She asked, trying to sound as friendly as possible. The girl looked down with disinterest, and raised an eyebrow slightly, then looked away again. “Melati.” She responded, perhaps a bit curtly. Vaeri edged a little bit closer. “That's pretty. Why are you sitting up there?” she asked again.

She knew enough about adults to recognize certain body language. It looked like this older girl Melati wanted to sigh, but was holding it back. “I am the daughter of our Lord Haken and our Lady Chani. They took me in as a child.” again the tones of disinterest. Vaeri felt vaguely awed now, and glanced at the two elves, and ducked a little to see Chani looking over, having heard Melati speaking, and those bright gold eyes had found little Vaeri. Her eyes widened a little, wondering if she should run away, as she saw Melati and Chani briefly meet eyes, and then Chani was looking away again. She relaxed a little.

She observed Melati again with interest, wondering how far she should push her luck. She cautiously rose up a little again, and carefully laid her arms on the dais. “Aren't you having fun? It's a fun celebration.” She questioned, and Melati looked at her again, though this time she showed a bit more emotion.

“Why? It's just a floating Go-back baby. And it has nothing to do with me.” But something...dark passed in her eyes, ever so briefly. Vaeri wondered at that. So it seemed Melati didn't care for the new arrival? But then she was probably at an age where she didn't need agemates. She tilted her head a little, laying her chin on her arm. “Can you float, Melati?” she kicked her foot a little in the sand, feeling a slight tugging at her heart as she asked that.

Now Melati seemed to be a bit amused. “Yes. My lord father has taught me how to float, and firestart, and rockshape. I was born a healer though.” Vaeri felt her jaw drop a little, and she looked at Melati now with the same awed eyes she had for Haken and Chani. “A...are you a....High One too...?” she almost whispered.

She thought for a moment Melati might laugh a little. “Not yet. But someday, I shouldn't think.” She said, very matter of fact. Vaeri stared at her a little longer, and wondered what she could ask next before she felt a sending brushing her mind.

**Vaeri, where are you? You're not still dancing are you? It's getting close to your bed time.** Her mother was sending, searching for her daughter. She turned her head a little and sent a reply, **I'm coming mama.**

She looked up at Melati again a little shyly. “I hope you're able to have a little fun. Good night Melati!” and with that, she quickly scampered away, back to her mother and father. She took one last look over her shoulder as she was guided away from the celebration. Melati once again had that look of impassive boredom on her face as she watched the dancers. Vaeri felt the little rush of awe over the older girl once again.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 9:22 pm

soo was giving my theories for things to happen in Alternaverse...and of course my what if mind got to work. i began thinking of people who could be resurrected by Melati, and the ramifications of it. Zadzi really wanted me to write some stuff, so i decided to latch on the most unlikely possibility and write about it! it's a little short, but rather deliciously angsty and quite the worldpool tale! i hope you guys enjoy!

Bonds Broken

Nearly everyone stood gathered in the front hall of the Palace. Swift wavered unsteadily on her feet, exhausted from the nights events, while Rayek held her up, though he was little better off than his lifemate. Timmain observed silently as Aurek paced calmly around the large circle composed of broken crystal shards, most dirtied in some way; Some with blood, some with torn preserver webbing, and some with dirt from their landing of the High Ones Palace. “Hm..A brighter hum than our current starstone. Perhaps because it is freshly imbued with High One magic.” Aurek observed, looking as if he were observing a puzzle.

“Will it strengthen our starstone then, do you think?” Rayek questioned, holding Swift a little closer as her chin nearly touched her chest. But his curiosity held him fast. High ones, he thought, I've been around Swift and her blasted curiosity far too long. “Not entirely. A fractional amount, but nothing significant.” Aurek ruled and crouched, lightly touching a crystal then blinked, his body tensing. He withdrew his hand cautiously and looked at it, frowning now. “I...I can sense...my grandfather.” He said slowly, almost disbelievingly. “This crystal has the feel of Haken, some how. Timmain, can you..?”

Timmain hesitated, then reached out a single finger to touch the crystal, then hissed faintly as she pulled away just as quickly. “Yes. It feels like him. But how?” She frowned baffled, and began to lightly touch each crystal. Her bafflement began to fade into something akin to sorrow and loneliness. “I can...I can feel each of my friends. All of them. Even...”

Her finger brushed against a crystal stained with blood, and suddenly tears welled up into her eyes and her voice choked. “Adya...! I can...this is Adya's blood. My heart. I can....feel him almost as if...” She turned away, unable to look at the red stained crystal anymore.

“Grandmother? Are you-” Aurek began to ask, but Timmain walked out of the hall without another word, only a faint trembling of her shoulders betraying her emotions. Skywise let out a low whistle. “So...the presence of the High Ones is inside the crystals? That's a new one.” Aurek gave a brief nod of agreement. “Perhaps a temporary hold on letting these crystals be reabsorbed by the Palace. They may have much to teach us. They may even help reawaken the spirits of the High Ones in the walls of the Palace.”

Melati hovered in a doorway nearby, half in shadow. Rayek led Swift away to rest after the eventful night, leaving Skywise and Aurek to discuss the crystal shards. Her bright blue eyes drifted to the doorway Timmain went through, then fell on the crystal stained with Adya's blood. Her eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

Melati stood over her Cradle, her hand on the warm gently pulsing surface. Her eyes were closed, helping her to focus on the developing cellular matrix floating in the artificial amniotic fluid, mixed with feed broth. She had been carefully monitoring the growth for the past few Long Years, almost as carefully as she had watched the growth of Winnowill and Kit's new bodies, and perhaps not as carefully as she had watched over Ruffels'. She observed minute details, though really little had needed any guidance. Only readjustment so the new form would take precedence over the old. Judging by the time and taste, she decided, it was time.

It was a surprise to the Palace Masters when the invitation had been sent, most especially to Timmain, for them to come visit Haven on Homestead. But it had been a while since they had visited, and it was ruled it couldn't hurt. The Palace landed gently on the yellow crystal-moss covered ground just outside the walls of Haven. Its great doors opened, and shortly after so did Haven's gates. First out came Rayek, eager to find his younger sister and niece. Then came Aurek, to greet his cousin Fenn and to find his grandparents. Bluestar stepped out, smiling at the pearly sky before he set out to find Beast and his daughter, swiftly followed by his mother. Skywise stepped out, giving a cheerful greeting as his eyes fell on Ruffel as she left the walls of Haven, beaming at her old lovemate with a wide smile, her lifemate Maleen as ever by her side, and a bubbly Naga trailing behind them. It was with reluctance Timmain set foot outside the Palace onto Homestead ground.

She looked at the alien landscape slowly, not terribly strange to her eyes, which had seen many planets before, some more or less beautiful than this one. It didn't matter in the end. She began walking to the gates of Haven when her steps faltered. Melati had strode out from the gateway, her chin tilted up in a casually arrogant way, a smirk playing at her lips. But Timmain didn't even notice.

Her eyes were locked on the male besides her, walking ahead of her. She knew those gentle blue eyes, timeless and bottomless as the sky on Abode, the golden hair that floated around his face. But most of all, she knew that smile, full of gentle tenderness. She felt a shudder rippling through her frame as Adya approached her, hand outstretched gently towards her. He was clad in simple trousers, with a loose fitting shirt with long puffed sleeves, with a long robe over it all, everything dyed in hues of the palest blue.

*Timmain, my bond* Adya sent, and Timmain very nearly crumbled. A mind touch she had not felt in spirals, save faintly through the lightest brushing of spirits in the Palace. It was him, as she had seen him just before the human club had bashed against his skull! The gentle curve of his face he had shaped before they landed on the harsh planet they were to be stranded on, the wide inviting eyes. Her body trembling, she turned away from Adya.

She whirled on Melati, her calm mask broken into fearsome rage, and the air crackled around her from her wrath and magic. *WHAT. DID. YOU. DO?!* She screamed in sending, though Melati hardly flinched. Anyone nearby stopped their reunions with missed faces, turning to see the terrifying scene, silver fury against red calm smugness.

Adya's expression turned despairing at Timmains' reaction. “Timmain, you cannot blame the child. She rediscovered our lost process, and granted me form once more. How can you-?” Adya tried to reach out to her again, and Timmain slapped his hand away, her eyes wild with grief. “You cannot be my heart, my souls mate! You died, turns upon turns ago by human hands! I embraced the worldsong and the pain to be able to accept my loss of you and now, she has....she dabbles with things that we were better to have forgotten!” Timmain cried out, and Adya cringed, as if she had physically struck him.

“No gratitude, Timmain? I'm not surprised.” Melati spoke calmly, for all the world it was a relaxing afternoon conversation. “I have been learning much from Adya though. And he and my father lord have been quite enjoying spending time together. He is a devoted minder to my daughter Naga and they quite adore each other. He is quite impressed with our accomplishments here on Homestead...but of course, I left yours up to you to tell. Perhaps you would like to tell him about your sons?” She smirked cruelly, and Adya, his eyes focused on Timmain, gave a hopeful smile. “Yes, my bond. I have met your daughter Chani, and she is beautiful, she looks so much like you, and Aerth. And that you had sons! I only wish I could have helped you raise them. Please, you must tell me of them.” He ventured a little closer, but Timmain backed away, looking more horrified than before.

“No, I shall not! I can...cannot...” She looked frantically from Adya to Melati, her expression torn between grief and rage, and regret. She turned sharply away, and fled back inside the Palace, leaving Adya standing alone in the field in front of Haven. Melati tsked softly, shaking her head with a soft snakes smile.

Last edited by Vaeri on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Bwahahahaaaaaaaa! Oh, Mel, you devious, glorious monstrosity! Turn that knife for all it's worth!

...now all we need is for Starjumper to come running up and give Adya a big sloppy kiss! (Adya seems so damn cheerful he'd probably just pull a Cricket and roll with it, but Timmain doesn't need to know that!)
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 10:27 pm

i had a feeling you would like that. XD i was kinda gonna go for the sappy reunion...but then anyone would do that, now wouldn't they? and you've just twisted Timmain so much, i had to try to follow it.

not really entirely sure how Adya would react until i start writing it. but i think following the vein he would be...rather confused and a bit more then...shocked? her recognition with Aerth he can understand and accept, probably Adya and Aerth were friends...perhaps even distantly related, which is why Timmain just felt so...everything about recognizing him. but besides, they are the same species.

Timmain and Wolf...he was a native creature of the planet, and they've never interferred like that before, and she just blatantly went and did it. even if it was out of grief, he wouldn't really understand it. i think suffice to say currently in this story, Adya is viewing Timmain with really thick rose colored glasses.

but yay i'm glad it meets with your approval wingthing!!<3
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 1:34 am

I don't know what happened, I was writing a response for this last night and it disappeared :/
Vaeri, you are verrrrry very evil, I love it. That was really awesome! I really was soooo not expecting that. Great work, and I think it's cool that Adya is so blissfully naive, it makes it all the more delicious!

Vaeri's Dabbles Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 9:43 am

it's alright! just chalk it up to a glitch on the forums part.

but yaaay!! i've been waiting for you to get the chance to read this, since you inspired me to write it!^^ honestly i was just following Wingthing's example...and with Melati involved, how can things NOT be evil?! XD

i think it kinda makes sense Adya is all naive, because he hasn't gone through anything everyone else has. as far as he remembers, they came out of the palace and he tried to question a strange brute of a creature, and then it goes black.

soo...do you guys think i should keep writing on this story, or is this good enough? cause i'm really not sure myself..XD
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Yes, keep writing, totally! If it calls out to you, then go with it... I think the Adya twist is really fascinating. I wonder how he's going to 'grow' into his new shell, his being naive now totally makes sense, like the senses are so new to him etc.

Vaeri's Dabbles Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyFri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 pm

welll, i got bored and been wanting to write this...Wingthing posted a new story so i am too.^^ just a quick drabble as usual, and worldpool story. hope you like it!

Resurrected Revenge

It had been a mere insult when the idea had presented itself in her mind. A wound to one who tried so futile, so half hearted. But once spoken aloud, it had lodged in her mind as a challenge. And she would overcome any challenge that presented itself.

It had its difficulties. She had to be mindful of the life growing inside her and not risk anything too strenuous. Not that she couldn't heal most any occurrence but still, a little caution couldn't go amiss. She had spent days walking the hidden tunnels in the walls of Oasis, extending her senses deep into the ground. But she was nothing if not persistence. And so it was Melati was able to find Ruffels bones, buried deep by a wall. Probably she'd been buried by a rockshaper, for the bones were largely in the same position she'd been laid in, but that made no differences to Melati. The important aspect was when she picked up a bone and snapped it open, examining the traces of old marrow inside and extending her healers senses.

The presence of genetic matter was faint, but sufficient. She had dealt with less in her experiments. She gathered a few more bones, took a moment to observe the structure of the skull, then sealed the grave up once more and swiftly headed back to the ruins of her first fortress. Winnowill of course was incubating first, but preparations had to be made, and she would be ready.

It was a moment of distinct pride when Melati first laid the tiny mass of cells in her Cradle, shortly after the rebirth of Winnowill. It was hardly much more than a little speck of flesh, but it would grow. She sealed the Cradle with a sort of tenderness and smiled to herself, half amusement. Now it was merely waiting. She would savor the anticipation, and keep quiet of her new project. She would not inform Pool of what she was doing until Ruffel was reborn and sending. Only that would cause the most pain to that annoying old wolf.

She patted the Cradle tenderly and sent to it. *Grow quickly, my revenge.*

It had taken a few Long Years, but it was finally done. Many of the Haven folk who had once been sun villagers were gathered outside, conversing anxiously tinged with excitement. Many of them could remember the golden hair, apple cheeked plump maiden who had always been sunny and cheerful, happy to share with all. That she was once again joining them in flesh was nothing short of a miracle, but one that Melati was becoming well known for. Many had begun trying to guess who she might resurrect next, and who may chose such a fate.

Haken was in the room with Melati and the Cradle, and as her former lovemate and lifemate, Maleen had been invited, and of course Beast. As former lovemates, Skywise and Vurdah had been granted attendance as well. Maleen seemed paler than usual, and Melati supposed the old Wolfrider adage that she was pacing like a caged wolf sufficed. Maleen continued to bite her lip, staring at the large fleshy Cradle that even now faintly showed the silhouette of a grown elf.

Melati had given a nod when it was time, and she opened the Cradle slowly. Maleen hasted over but a glare from Melati sent her back. “Beast, help me.” She said simply, and her lifemate came over, easily hefting the brown female form and laying her on the crystal platform. Melati brushed an affectionate wordless sending against Beasts mind as thanks, then walked to Ruffel's body, taking a moment to look, her expression detached as if examining a new specimen of insect.

So this was the woman who birthed me, she thought. She could see a similarity in features, the tilt and shape of the eyes, the curvature of the cheeks. Then she moved on. She placed her fingertips on the forehead and closed her eyes. She began searching, calling, her spirit drifting in the vast nameless dimension where elfin spirits existed after death. She used her knowledge of the genetic material, and memories gained from others, to resonate with the soul she was looking for. Minutes crept by, then hours. Maleen's anxiousness only grew. “What's taking so long?” She asked, her voice trembling.

Haken merely gave her a weary glance. “I suppose you could find her spirit faster?” He asked almost mockingly, and fire flashed a moment in Maleen's eyes, before she looked back to the prone forms. Once again, she could feel the tears gathering in her eyes as the memories of a previous life came back, with clarity born of seeing Ruffel's face in front of her again.

“Mel will find her. We just have to be patient mother.” Beast spoke, laying a clawed hand on her shoulder in support and comfort. She found it within her not to flinch at the touch, and just remained focused on Ruffels face, thinner than she remembered, but still, it was her lifemates face.

Suddenly Melati moved, opening her eyes as she inhaled sharply and the body on the platform likewise took a deep breath in. Everyone moved closer, watching anxiously. Ruffel took deep slow breathes, her eyes closed.

Slowly, her eyes began to open, prompting an excited squeal from Vurdah. “Her eyes are opening!” She exclaimed happily. Ruffels eyes fluttered a moment, her pupils tiny and only her violet blue irises showing for a few heartbeats before her eyes began adjusting. She stared up at the faces above her, blinking over and over.

As her pupils grew to normal size, and her vision adjusted, it soon became blurry as tears began to well up in her eyes and run down her cheeks. She gulped and whispered, her voice shaky and tremulous, “Faces...dear, dear faces. S-shade and sweet water to you a-all”

Maleen let out a soft cry and fell to her knees, grasping Ruffels hand in hers as she sent to her tearfully. *Lovemate! You're back! You...I have missed you so much!* The tears of centuries worth of grief dripped from her cheeks as she clutched the small hand desperately, as if determined to never let go. Skywise had let out a relieved, happy laugh at the sight of Ruffel awake and talking once more.

Melati had smiled with cold pride as the others clustered carefully around Ruffel, welcoming her back and greeting her. Her chin tilted slightly upwards. A few months worth of readjustment, a few months of care and she would be best suited to reunite with her old recognized. Not that she'd even recognize him again as he is now, she thought with a cruel twist.

It seemed the old wolf would never really cease to spite her. She had spent months cultivating her revenge, ensuring Ruffel remained in the best health and spirits, ensuring she always had plenty of rest and food. Between her and Maleen, Ruffel surely wanted for nothing. And the granddaughter she had always dreamed of was a constant delight to her. If ever Naga went missing, they had only to find Ruffel and they would find her, telling stories to the kitling or playing games with her, her strength slowly building.

Melati had deemed it finally time to reveal Ruffel to Pool, only to find out he had finally died. She had scoffed at the news, only irked. But her irritation soon passed as she was told his spirit remained, bonded with the now sentient Ever Tree. Here was her perfect chance! It would not be as good as seeing his face, but good enough.

She spent more time, teaching Ruffel how to accomplish astral travel. Once this had been succeeded, she and Ruffel left their bodies together and traveled where distance had no meaning. *Oh Melati, I'm so excited!* Ruffel sent to her daughter, and Melati's spirit gave an idle, detached smile. It took them little time for them to find the spirit of the Father Tree, a glowing green mass in the form of a great cocoon. Ruffel looked at Melati questioningly then sent tentatively. *Pool? Are you there?*

The cocoon pulsed brighter, and the spirit of Pool detached from the mass, slowly drifting forwards towards them. Ruffel gasped softly to see the face she remembered so aged, so frail. The spirit of Pool however had a sharper reaction. At first he only stared at Ruffel, perhaps at first thinking she was spirit like him, until he could see the gentle living glow surrounding her.

Pool said nothing, but let out a shrill despairing wail that went on, as if to express the depths of his sorrow. The glow of the Ever Tree spirits began to flicker and waver sharply. Melati felt her heart flood with the warmth brought from revenge realized. She watched in satisfaction as Pool continued to scream, his fingers up at his face. Had he been living, he surely would have been clawing at his own flesh, yet his motions did no damage. Ruffel flinched, repelled backwards and curiously, Melati opened her mind.

She was struck by a whirl of emotions, fractured thoughts and emotions, roiling off the screaming spirit. She quirked an eyebrow. Had she not known better, she might think this meeting had actually destroyed what remained of Pool's mentality. The thought made her smile.

Eventually the scream began fading, and Pool seemed to crumple into himself. *Ruffel...lifemate...alive...alive...blood...gone...alive...* Was all that could be deciphered. Tendrils of light from the Ever Tree spirits reached out, gently wrapping around Pool's spirit and pulling him back. A chorus of voices radiated from the Tree. *What have you done to The Voice?* they demanded of Melati and Ruffel, outrage and confusion in the sending.

Ruffel cried out in pain and fear, but Melati merely brushed it off. *What? Is he not pleased his lifemate  once more walks in form? If Pool is listening, Ruffel has said she forgives me for what was done during my birth. What do you think of that, Pool?* She smirked lightly, her voice mockingly cajoling and comforting.

The light of the Tree continued to flicker uncertainly. Melati touched Ruffels spirit shoulder. *Come. Maleen will be anxious to have you back, and you and Pool have had your reunion. You needn't linger.* She sent, and Ruffel nodded with uncertainty. She allowed herself to be pulled away from the form of the Tree, back towards her flesh and family.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 2:08 am

I like your writing, Vaeri- it's great. The story is compelling. But these characters seem so very spiteful! Ouch. Aren't they from Wingthing's alternaverse? Why would a spirit care if another spirit were alive again? Unless it meant they couldn't be together anymore... but it doesn't sound as if they were in the first place. The description of the tree sounds creepy.

Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptySat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 am

I just got chills reading this. The haunting tone of the story is amazing!

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 am

Lunakat you are right! this is a worldpool tale for Swiftverse. and only Melati is really spiteful...Pool is only kinda spiteful...XD

but to explain Pool did recognize Ruffel and was her lifemate for two years, siring Melati, until Ruffel died in childbirth. this sparked a grudge against Melati for the rest of his life, with Pool thinking of his healer daughter as nothing but a lifetaker. and Ruffel's death deeply wounded him.

of course Mel was able to rediscover how to craft new bodies for elfin spirits, and in canon Alternaverse taunted Pool with the concept of reviving Ruffel in a new body. us fans would dearly love to see a return of the apple cheeked buxom beauty, but it's not likely...so i wrote a fan drabble about it.^^

Evil Evie, i'm glad to hear that! i thought maybe it'd come off as more sloppy and rushed...but haunting is very good! i'm tickled pink! so thank you.^^
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles EmptyTue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 am

Oh, Mel, you sweet vicious bitch! Twisted Evil

You captured her particular brand of evil perfectly as usual, Vaeri! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vaeri's Dabbles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vaeri's Dabbles   Vaeri's Dabbles Empty

Back to top Go down

Vaeri's Dabbles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest FanArt and FanFiction-
Jump to: