Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #17

Go down 
+26
Kindredsoul
LurkingCat
PCoquelin
Elwing
Lunakat
Zadzi
Outlier
Shadowpath
Embala
Stargazer
sun girl
manga
Sifra
Davrille
Wisp
Bluetree
Miss Gillespie
kathleen3.0
Vaeri
jaRf
Redhead Ember
Prism
Twillor
namuhna
Miscellaneous
howler monkey
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
howler monkey

howler monkey

Taurus Rooster

7 - Final Quest #17 Empty
PostSubject: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 pm

The cover and synopsis of issue 17 is up
http://elfquest.com/cover-art-of-final-quest-17-is-ureleased/

Not sure what to say about the cover and the synopsis is the same as #16
7 - Final Quest #17 Final-10
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 6:05 pm

It looks like Cutter has flown the coop.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm

I like the expressions: Cutter, Nightfall and Redlance look lost, Skywise is worried and fumbles his loadstone and Leetah happily cradles Cutter's arm, while everyone is covered in compost.

And our friend "Alt+C/ Alt+V" is back^^

Miscellaneous

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Spoiler from the synopsis:
I'm curious about that, hope it will be something completely unexpected.

"flown the coop"? I'm guessing the meaning, but I don't quite get the picture...
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Same synopsis ... maybe a glitch? If not - what do we have?

Those fungus elves are seemingly the new kind of elves the FQ brings us - they and the morphing Palace dwellers. No big news, I know.

There is a new quest annonced. An ancient wrong. The ONE BEING who can right it.
And we have the implied Savah connection.

The fungus lady is singled out in prominent position. She seems to be one of the questers.
Is she the one who suffered from the "ancient wrong"? Did her group suffer from it? Or is she simply the pathfinder to "the ONE being?

Is Savah part of the ancient wrong? Part of the solution? Will we end up with the story of the Rootless Ones?
Or with Voll himself and Winnowill's cryptic(?) remark "It starts again."? This rebel against Voll's leadership, the one we saw leave the early Gliders in a flashback, is acknowledged as Yurek in the character bios.

Cutter is up to something ... but he looks remote-controlled.

The Key from New Moon plays a role again. How?
It was a key to open a mechanical metal door in a "stony" Palace. The Palace tranformed into crystal, was shattered and rebuild. I doubt that there is a door with a mechanical key anymore.
What else is the Key good for? We were pointed to this Key in issues #7 - Cutter staring at it without further explanation. Is there another lock somewhere?

Is it coincidence or simply an artistic trick for a pleasant view that Skywise fiddles with the loadstone? Or do Key and Loadstone work together? They were attracted to each other already during the Challenge.

Do Key and Loadstone lead us back to the Trolls ... is the ancient wrong oder than elfin history on the WoTMs?
How does this bring Two-Edge back in the game?

P.S.: I've just realized that I like neither the semi-neon-green of Redlance's and Nightfall's duds nor Nightfall's brazen hair dye.

7 - Final Quest #17 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Oh GOD please tell me Winnowill didn't turn these into compost elves and Savah had been captured by her or whatever when it was happening, as she'd 'gone out'. I can't take anymore of Winnowill being responsible for every single evil or wrong thing alongside the humans.

Also, asides from Leetah's happy expression, the others look concerned, except for Nightfall, who looks like she's still suffering from a recent botox injection and can't move her facial muscles. Cutter looks blank. I guess it's appropriate considering his recent situation.

I don't think Skywise is fiddling with lodestone for any other reason than it's simply a Skywise association, but I hope I'm wrong!

Also, as an aside, I really miss Old Maggoty.
As another aside, why haven't we had any scene with Cutter's parents? When he was so lost within himself in that scene, it just seems like it would've been kind of awesome to bring them on. It was written that they'd 'always be there', and these past few issues would've been a great opportunity to show them. But I guess it's not seen as important, so who knows..

7 - Final Quest #17 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
namuhna

namuhna

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm hoping the ancient wrong is about trolls vs elves in some way, since Two-Edges key is so important in the image. Either what happened between Winnowill and various trolls, which might include Door in some way for sure (maybe he knows where Smelts bones are hidden?) or the cause of Troll rebellion that led to the palace-crash... (I wonder...which old troll might know something about THAT? I suspect SHE'll be hard to deal with whoever SHE is)

Embala, I'm pretty sure the key opens to a metal door made in the mountain range leading up to the palace, not in/of the palace itself. And I'm almost certain they're still there! But in any case I kinda doubt those specific doors are going to be important again... unless Two-Edge filled them with bulletproof vests this time Very Happy

.....which is not completely 100% unlikely I guess... Shocked

Last edited by namuhna on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : into the vest)
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:12 pm

namuhna wrote:
Embala, I'm pretty sure the key opens to a metal door made in the mountain range leading up to the palace, not in/of the palace itself.

*slaps head* THIS makes much more sense! *likely fused the sword-lock under BM with the Preserver-lock inside the Palace*

7 - Final Quest #17 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm not really one to pick up on color issues, but...is it just me or is this coloring crazy?  All the Wolfriders are drastically different colors.  Their skin pigmentation has never been depicted with such wide variety, it looks insane.  They also all look like they're standing in front of a different colored light-source, for lack of a better way of putting it--like Redlance is in front of a bright white light, Leetah's in front of bluish-green forest light, Skywise is in silvery moonlight, Nightfall and Cutter are just in regular daylight.  The compost elves look like they were dropped in from another picture with an entirely different and more subtle color scheme.  

And I can't believe we've actually arrived at the day when there's copy-and-paste art on the actual doggone cover.

@namuhna LOLing at bullet-proof vests in Two-Edge's armory!  It made sense that Two-Edge forged New Moon, including the hidden key, and also put the keyhole in the armory door. Like you, I'm hoping that he also has something to do with this new quest, because if the key opens anything non-Two-Edge-created, it will strain my battered credulity.  Like the original troll uprising idea--that would be a neat link.  Plus, the high ones were pretty awful to their "servants" in the palace--the trolls especially--and yet none of the elves have ever tried to  make amends or even acknowledged that history.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Re: color. Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

Also-- Leetah is super saturated and draws attention away from Cutter who should be the focal point. The coring hasn't made any sense for a while now.

Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 pm

I've noticed the color problems before, but this just really stopped me in my tracks. It just...baffles my eyes, I guess. All I can see are Sonny's wacky choices as I try to imagine a physical universe where this lighting makes any sense. Any yes, Leetah's face was absolutely the first place my eye was drawn to followed by Redlance's paper-white puss right next to her. It took me a few seconds to even registered the compost elves or the key, which is really the big reveal on this cover.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Does anyone remember in the earlier FQ issues when Nightfall and Redlance had blue eyes lol? It was so weird and random.

Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Zadzi wrote:
Does anyone remember in the earlier FQ issues when Nightfall and Redlance had blue eyes lol? It was so weird and random.

Their eye-colors were screwed up in the last issue repeatedly.  Remember that time when Nightfall's hair was the same color as Redlance's and she had slate-blue eyes?

Invitation to speculation: do we think Wendy looks at Sonny's work and doesn't see any problem with it?  Does she see at least some of the issues, but not have time to deal with it? Or is she unwilling to critique a personal friend and someone she may regard as "doing her a favor"?  She's a great artist.  She understands how to use layout and color to direct the reader's eye.  Did she look at this cover and think "great!" or just "good enough"?
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:06 pm

I figured they were friends with Sonny but my guess is they're just in total denial and think 'WOW THOSE COLORS REALLY POP, HOW AWESOME' ... given Wendy's garish coloring in Discovery, I think she likes garish ungodly bright colors. I even remember some original EQ panels (occasionally this happened, not often) where the colors were SO bright and just tacky. I think she likes it and is in denial of how it might look kinda gross. Maybe she's wanted things to be these colors all along and we totally lucked out that it happened very rarely early on.

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 pm

...why on earth can't they make a nice looking cover.
And the copy paste.

7 - Final Quest #17 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:32 pm

I think what Sonny is doing is just sampling skin colors from other panels. Like-- this color got used for Leetah once and this for Skywise and that for Nightfall-- so he's just grabbing tha eye dropper tool, selecting the color, and then blindly reusing it without regard for shading, light source, the other colors used on other characters in the same scene, value and saturation levels, focal point, etc..

I would bet the house in it. Have you noticed that Dre Ahn is always the same shade of pink (so far) while Leetah varies between a small variety of shades that were used for her previously? If he were thinking about shading and light and trying to make sense of it, both their skin tones would change-- but only hers does. Because she had already been shown in skin tones that he could sample from. Dre Ahn stays pretty consistently pinkish throughout, with some exceptions (I'm sure).

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm betting it's a combination of denial, and not wanting to critique a good friend. I think Wendy moved well past the clunky coloring of Discovery to a point of finesse. The prequel to Final Quest was very nice, color wise. I actually think the first few issues of final quest, as colored by Sonny, were also nice. The first one especially made really nice use of those purples. It seemed a lot of thought and care went into the coloring of it. But then, suddenly, it was crappy as heck. I thought u maybe he'd had some major life event interrupt his concentration-- but he's never come back to doing it well. What a shame!

I mean-- it's Elfquest, right? One of the most lovely comics I've ever read (when illustrated by Wendy or the artis who did Full Circle)-- you want it to go out on a high note.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

It doesn't help when commentary is persistently policed to only be gushing , with a lot of back patting and high praise.  Maybe they are really in denial and keep hearing how amazing everything looks so why change it? They are not good with criticism and it shows, so what can you expect?
A couple of people have nicely sort of mentioned in FB group that the artwork is more clunky and they miss the old hand drawn stuff and coloring, only to be argued with and 'shown' how they are wrong in some way by what's-his-name, that group bouncer and the posse. It came off as condescending, all the while talking about 'CHANGE' in way that relates to the whole point of EQ. lol It was kind of absurd, really. Just completely shut down the conversation why don't you dude lol.
Aesthetics and style aren't' really something that can be argued about since it's so deeply personal, however it can be compromised and look awkward, and it's not totally out of line to point that out either. It's the loyal, longtime readers who are often going to notice and say something, and it's not just about not liking change, just about being slightly saddened that something they once loved maybe isn't being treated with the same type of love they've witnessed before.

I actually, if I'm to be completely honest, would overlook so much of the color snafus and cut and paste stuff, the clunkiness, etc., if the story itself was paying off. I'm a very forgiving reader despite my seeming criticism. I just need something to really sink my teeth into, otherwise, what's the point?

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am

Yeah-- I'm sure gushing praise feels better than what we were dishing out. I mean-- even before we were all pointedly honest here, back when we were all editing ourselves. But you know-- they might just be tired. They've been doing this almost all their adult lives-- cranking out this comic book. And I'm sure they've gotten both criticism and praise every step of the way. Maybe they just don't want to hear it anymore and are gonna finish how they're gonna finish-- opinions be damned.

I mean- I have my opinions. But why should Richard or Wendy have to hear them if they don't want to?

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 2:35 am

They don't have to, that is the thing. I think it's incredibly exhausting to commit to one project pretty much for your life...and be known exclusively for that. It's got to be incredibly frustrating. As an artist, I cannot imagine having ONE *main* thing which I am known for. For god's sake, there's other things I want to do, I'd like to spread my wings! It's a blessing and a curse to be associated with this one thing. It's a responsibility and I have no idea how I'd be handling it in their shoes.
I'm on the fan end, selfishly, and I really cannot change that. But I do think a lot of us are understanding toward this situation as a lot of us are loyal and ultimately, despite their probable frustration, we do care about the person attached to the product. It's not just some faceless person to me. Nor is it some person though who is exclusively put on a pedestal (well, a little. I think that's healthy).

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 4:22 am

I like the fact that they, seemingly, are heading back to the armoury. If they're going up against the humans they better be proberly armed and protected.
Though... would the armour even have lasted that long? Then again, Two-Edge is a pretty good smith; if anyone could make armour that could last for over 10,000 years it would be him.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Twillor

Twillor

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 am

Their pose almost says, "I found the remote!"
I guess Dr. Dre didn't make the cover... or the wolves.
Back to top Go down
Prism

Prism

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Cutter looks like he's on a bad acid trip,the heads seem larger than usual and I don't like Nightfall's new headband. The composition feels stiff and poorly laid out as well.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 12:47 pm

I've about hit my wall.

Seventeen issues, five bucks each. Whatever. This is just self torture by now.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Zadzi wrote:
They don't have to, that is the thing. I think it's incredibly exhausting to commit to one project pretty much for your life...and be known exclusively for that. It's got to be incredibly frustrating. As an artist, I cannot imagine having ONE *main* thing which I am known for. For god's sake, there's other things I want to do, I'd like to spread my wings! It's a blessing and a curse to be associated with this one thing. It's a responsibility and I have no idea how I'd be handling it in their shoes.
I'm on the fan end, selfishly, and I really cannot change that. But I do think a lot of us are understanding toward this situation as a lot of us are loyal and ultimately, despite their probable frustration, we do care about the person attached to the product. It's not just some faceless person to me. Nor is it some person though who is exclusively put on a pedestal (well, a little. I think that's healthy).

Yes. Basically this.

I mean-- it's good be able to share an honest opinion and all, but I kind of hope the Pinis never read this forum.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #17   7 - Final Quest #17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #17
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next