Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?

Go down 
+16
PCoquelin
Tymber
Miss Gillespie
Kindredsoul
TrollHammer
Blackbird
Embala
Redhead Ember
faeriegirl
Leanan
Multimedea
Kojiyumi
Stormcatcher
Josine
truelight
Wiseshaman
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Empty
PostSubject: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 2:39 am

So... Sunday night I'm watching the season finale of Game of Thrones.  Mind you, I'm not a die hard follower, but I catch it as often as I can (mainly for the kick ass dragon scenes)

But then a scene comes along that just boiled my britches...

The plot is split up in countless multiple stories that are too head spinning to follow (like I said, only the awesome dragon scenes are worth paying attention to Razz )),  but!! one in particular is about this kid... who's on what I like to call a "vision quest"

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Th?&id=HN.608045748715523407&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1

He has some ability to slip his consciousness into a wolf... just reminds you ALOT of Suntop "going out", and the coincidence that he travels with....
((waves at Timmain on screen!!!))

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Th?&id=HN.608003829835761024&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1

So they finally reach their destination....

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Th?&id=HN.608020064808796360&w=313&h=300&c=0&pid=1

Can you say "Father Tree", boys and girls!?

Then this cute little thing comes along....

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Children-of-the-the-forest-100870

They're called Children of the Forest (wow... how original, Mr. Martin!!)

Four fingered, no bigger than a human child, connection to nature,  powerful magic, etc...
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/06/13/game-of-thrones-who-are-the-children-of-the-forest-/

That was the only image I could find of the "child of the forest" from the scene, but I shyt you not, she looked just like Dewshine, but with brown hair, and she was shooting out magic canons from her hands like Rayek

To me, the coincidence is just WAY too much to be chance.... The books were published in 1996, and even if it took this guy 10 years to write them, I strongly suspect he saw Elfquest somewhere and snagged Wendy's version of the elves and slipped them into his story  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

PostSubject: *Gasp* Ohhhh...yessss...   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked 

Someone crank up the conspiracy machine!!

This sounds too 'coincidental' to be just an...accident!

Evil or Very Mad 

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
truelight

truelight

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 am

I LOVE GoT. I am sure he has drawn inspiration from a lot of different fantasy books and movies. I can see the Timmain and Bran being like Suntop but I don't really see the forest girl as looking like Dewshine.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 1:05 am

The thing is... Elfquest isn't that original. It's not like Wendy Pini was the first person to come up with the idea of little people living in the woods- or inhabiting trees. She didn't come up with the idea of a magic mountain home for otherworldly beings. She didn't come up with mermaids. She didn't come up with werewolves. She didn't come up with shapeshifters or coneheaded aliens, or any of that. She didn't even come up with the idea of a magic-using people who align themselves with wolves or birds. she didn't invent tree people. That all existed long before Elfquest- and if she and another author drew from the same source, it's not surprising.

What Wendy Pini did that was clever was to reconceive and retextuaize all these common myths- and explain them in the context of her story. She very cleverly defined all these things as a human misunderstanding of aliens. That's super smart. It gives a plausible explanation for every standard mythical beings- without resort to simply "magic." The magic only exists as a poorly understood power that the aliens have.

It's sort of like what Xmen did for Superheroes. Thanks to Xmen, every Superhero can now be explained as a genetic anomaly... the next step in human evolution. (Instead of just some magic guy in tights. Seriously- Superman as an alien made sense in the world of Superman... but once he started interacting with other superheroes who weren't from Kryton? It was like- how many of them can there be? Well, according to xmen, a lot because they are mutants.)

Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Got to agree with Lunakat here, I often see people claiming things to be inspired by Elfquest, but I don't think they actually is, most fantasy themes has been used before, and people get inspired by eachother, and most things has been used before, and been around for centuries. But that's ok Smile And it's just fun when authors get inspired by things, but makes it unique, more theirs.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Blackbird wrote:
And it's just fun when authors get inspired by things, but makes it unique, more theirs.
Right! Smile

And it's fan habit to recognize conections with their favorite story, favorite character, favorite fandom ... You see and recognize what you are most familiar with. Very Happy

Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah, but it's important to try to make it unique, not just copy...*coughEragonCough*

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 pm

I didn't like the first episodes of Game of Thrones (the over-use of sex scenes and brutality) ...

...but I must concede it became more and more and even more interesting, with time.

And, at this pace, even if winter is coming, we'll see elves there...

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? PC234_SuntopSoonSig

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 1:53 pm

I kinda like whats seperates GOT from many other shows, no one is safe, nothing is predictable, and as for the sex, yes...so much nudity, but it is almost better than all the hypocrite tv shows were everyone waits with sex till they are married and such Laughing

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 8:25 pm

I agree with you, Blackbird. It's the exact reason why I eventually paid attention to the "Spartacus" series...

...even if it was worse, at its beginnings, than Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? PC103_SuntopGasSig

Moreso that I realised it was in fact very close to the little of what is actually known or guessed about related historic facts.

Fact is... history was even worse.

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 am

Sun Girl and I once tried the thought experiment of "What if George R. R. Martin wrote ElfQuest?"

- spoiler: everyone dies.

further spoilers: The elves never make peaceful contact when they can invade with maximum historically accurate rape and bloodshed. Winnowill as WaRP wrote her is actually something of a moderate. The Hawks are the dragons. The Palace is the Iron Throne. Did I say everyone dies? Yeah, everyone dies. Except Suntop. But he's dead inside. It sucks to be a Stark - I mean Wolfrider.
Back to top Go down
Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:53 pm

In George Martins version Vaya was pregnant with Pikes child, makes it a little more horrible. One-eye did wake up after Leetah healed him, but killed by a troll before Clearbrook got back from the war, Leetah also got raped. That was only that issue.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Now I know GoT is not for me.

PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 pm

I just would never dare insult WaRP by comparing their work to Martin's.

Knock me off the branch all you want, GoT fans...

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? PC583_KoBW3_SuntopAv

...I don't care.

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Two very different works, love them both, for different reasons ^^

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 pm

I love Game of Thrones because it's so unpredictable Razz You never know who lives or dies - everyone can die at any moment, and many already have. And while you may think that killing off many main characters makes the story dull, in this case the opposite is true as new characters rise to shine (and die, eventually, if they're in bad luck). And apart from the magic, the political and historical context is very realistic.

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Wasn't comparing, per say...

Just saw a lot of familiarity that made me feel as if GoT was "borrowing" from EQ Wink

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:44 am

We're just in it for the dragons...

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Babies10
Back to top Go down
Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 am

Wow, awesome Very Happy

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 2:24 pm

Gorgeous "crossover", Kojiyumi!

PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 am

My thought on Game of Thrones is they're all busy hurrying up destroying each other and spreading chaos before winter comes and calms them all for good.

Trouble is...

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? PC998_DCA4_EmberAv

...it will also kill them all.

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 12:24 pm

...Except Cersei who will outlive them all.... Rolling Eyes

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm surprised no one posted this yet:

PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm

I love imagining very grim turns, after watching each episode...

For instance, after the last one...

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? PC653_DCA2_SuntopAv

...I imagined the white walkers plunging their hands into the water and freezing the sea.
End of Jon Snow and co.

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 5:42 am

I just love being proven wrong.

PostSubject: Re: Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?   Game of Thrones-ElfQuest? Empty

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones-ElfQuest?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next