Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))

Go down 
+15
Miss Gillespie
Kaza999
Soreyes
Sadachbia
Zadzi
Vaeri
wingthing
sun girl
manga
Embala
Relena
Kindredsoul
Startear
Lunakat
Multi-Facets
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Zadzi

Zadzi

The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 2:12 am

I'm wondering what Naga's final defense is in all of this. Looking enough like Ruffel maybe to throw off the Green Father lol. Who knows.

Any speculations, guys? Come on, geek out with me for a few mins!

Still really sad about Aurek ugh. I really hope the avenging happens just for him alone... some epic stuff feels like it's about to go down at some point.

The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Kaza999

Kaza999

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 am

oh, i hope ruffel comes out and throws down! oooh, or even leetah! i mean, leetah's naga's great-grandma, and i bet she wouldn't put up with any of this, and i'd love to see some epic leetah action Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2019 1:44 am

Seems like Naga has "one last defense" so I'm really curious what it is.

...Jeez, Wingthing, a little help here Razz

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 am

Naga's defense is basically to hold on until Momma Bear Mel shows up with all the pain! Razz

Speaking of bears, the next fic is being an absolute one to write. Haken keeps wanting to go full nuclear and boy is it hard to say no to that fascist cutie. But here's a wee little snippet:

----
He put his hand to the mossy wall. He was somewhere inside the Tree. The hybrid oak had grown exponentially since he had visited the Evertree Wolfriders as a child. Still, there was a limit to what the worldpull would allow to grow. Even the thickest central trunk couldn’t be larger than the Palace. And for all he knew, empty air lay only a few handspans beyond his fingertips.

But he couldn’t flit if he couldn’t see his destination.

So he paced, measuring the dimensions of his cell, fighting the urge to empty his bladder, fighting the urge to scream at the living walls. Littlefire had told him all about the battle at the Tree; he knew the best outcome he could hope for right now was to continue to be ignored by his captor.

Then came the creaking, woody sound, and the walls of his prison parted as easily as curtains, allowing access to a lumpen, bipedal shadow. At first, he was stunned by the sunlight streaking behind the shape, but then he remembered the time difference between continents.

The shape became a trollkin, gray-skinned and hunchbacked, but with a face more elfin than troll. His eyes were the same sickly green as Timmain’s.

“Foo’ fo’ ’ou…” he murmured, in a drunkard’s lisp. The muscles of his face twitched the way Littlefire’s used to, when the two souls inside him would vie for command of his voice.

But Bluestar looked beyond him, to the tantalizing glimpse of dirt and lichen-covered rocks, and the shafts of late morning sun cutting through the forest.

He pictured himself there. And in a moment, he was.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Poor Bluestar! What the heck is that trollkin doing, that's kind of creepy Shocked
Bluestar's flitting can probably work really well here in this situation, evidently ... can't wait to see what he does. I'm betting he outmaneuvers them or they try to blindfold him lol!
I'm all for Haken going full nuclear on the tree , but I wonder where the spirits would "go", and whether they'd just get transferred to another location, like the palace or ark? It's kind of scary! Isn't there some kind of crazy direct sending anyone can do to "jolt" the spirits out of their zombie state? What if Melati like does some crazy sweeping mind wipe sending aimed at Pool and Timmain, can she do that at a distance, I wonder? Maybe with the powers she has at her disposal... hmm.
Can't wait to see how it all goes down ... exciting stuff!

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 12:40 am

It's finally up!

http://www.janesenese.com/swiftverse/pieces.html
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 7:01 am

Well that's a trip-and-a-half.

Clearbrook is back as a Tree Zombie.

Timmain has reached - again - a new level of creepy.

And where is Rayek in this?

Can't wait for more!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 7:21 pm

OMG! Timmain is a total psycho!
...Melati's going to mind wipe, isn't she?? *rubs hands together*

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Ugggh i've been gone so long! But i've kept up with the story. So time for a big reaction and theory!

My first thought was the trollkin had to be Smokewater's taken grandson.. but then i remembered a small group had been taken hadn't they? But definitely one of Smokewater's trollkin.

We get to see an older Sunspot and..not sure who the auburn elf is. His mother maybe?

Definitely Tree!Clearbrook but the hardly elfin one is much harder to place...i thought maybe Surge but he's still alive. Maybe....Timmorn?

The bluetooth rootlet scene is..horrifying. just eugh. Gives me shudders. I had an ant stuck in my ear once and i remember the sounds and justg...eeggh! Poor Bluestar.

Reading Sylas talking about Timmain birthing a monstrosity...makes me remember when she talked about her stillborn cubs and how her womb would never again create such sorrow. Is that promise going to be broken as well?

And i kinda liked Bluestar's breakdown at the end. It's true. Sooo many people will be calling for Timmain's head now.

I still hope Ruffel makes a heroic appearance.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 12:32 am

Good to see you, Vaeri!
OMG you had an ANT in your ear once? That sounds horrifying Mad !

BTW that is a VERY interesting observation about Timmain birthing a monstrosity, Vaeri - good catch there! She also talked about another betrayal as well in Siege at Howling Rock (to Aurek), about whether another betrayal is necessary to "force the proper choice".... so it seems she's been thinking of this for some time now, even before Melati and Beast recognized.

And I also hope for an appearance from Ruffel as well !

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 pm

Ayup. We had palm trees at my childhood home and i was helping getting rid of dead limbs. I was trying to tug one and break it and..i think it fell on me? Wasn't hurt just kinda dirty lol. But i few minutes later i started hearing this shuffling noise. I kept brushing at my ear but i kept hearing it. I think i realized at some point shortly after that i had something alive in my ear!! Shocked i ran into the house and tried digging it out but no luck and i was afraid of it going deeper...so i poured some hydrogen peroxide in my ear and waited for a minute. I can't remember if i tilted my head onto a paper towel or dug some more but i got the now dead ant out! I think it got stuck in the earwax and that's why i kept hearing the shuffling. I was so freaked out lol.

I've kinda been wanting to see stories to catch up on characters or places we haven't been in a while...like Oasis or New Mountain. Or more stories about how Blue Mountain rebuilt with the trollkin stories. Or Green Moon Bay and the pirates. I need details and world building to sink my teeth into!!!XD
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Smart girl, using that hydrogen peroxide .... I got a really tactile sense of you describing that, Vaeri, and it just freaked me out big time lol Laughing

As for stories... yeah, I am soooo curious about what's going down in Oasis , and I'm also super curious what's gone down between Sylas and Tamsin.

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 6:49 pm

I had to go back to look and now i remember...i REALLY wish we could find out what happened during Mel helping Cholla and 'springer to recognize, her pregnancy and miscarriage. Kinda a cross between story and journal entries like she did back in Nature of the Beast. I remember when we got the tiny snippet of Pool yelling at Mel about the miscarriage and i just devoured that little hidden gem and examined it mulitple times. I would love a whole story of that!

Maybe Stargazer's Hunt will open more storyline possibilities for Alternaverse.
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 am

Vaeri wrote:
I had to go back to look and now i remember...i REALLY wish we could find out what happened during Mel helping Cholla and 'springer to recognize, her pregnancy and miscarriage. Kinda a cross between story and journal entries like she did back in Nature of the Beast. I remember when we got the tiny snippet of Pool yelling at Mel about the miscarriage and i just devoured that little hidden gem and examined it mulitple times. I would love a whole story of that!

Um... so are you sure you're not hacking my brain, Vaeri?

Actually had parts of this written ages ago ... never quite managed to polish it up into a proper fic, but it was good to help me plan exactly what goes into making a Cradle baby. So here you go.

- - - - -

Seven Seasons

The seasons turn differently, depending on where you live. In the Frozen Mountains, there are only two: the crusting and the melting. In the forest, the elves count four, from new-green to white-cold. But here in Oasis, it takes six seasons to make a year.

It takes twelve seasons to grow a child.

Cholla’s heart held out for seven.

The first season passed all but unnoticed by the other elves. The only change remarked upon was the return of the flesh-sculptor Melati. She almost never visited Oasis anymore, preferring the wilds and her shapechanged beasts. Her followers, the Red Snakes, flocked to her side, anticipating a new command, but she seemed more interesting in reminiscing with her old friends Cholla and Klipspringer.

The second season was Bloomtide, and plans for the Festival of Flood and Flower consumed everyone’s attention. In a world where little changed from year to year, innovation was sought in the most trivial matters. A new vintage of honeywine or a different dye to the silk banners was cause for acclaim. And if Cholla seemed less active than usual, her kin could be forgiven for thinking it simply the fatigue after a long dry winter.

By Bloomfall her absence from daily life was beginning to attract attention. Her mother was the first to confront her, as she sat embroidering in her sickbed, but Cholla would give nothing away.

- My ankles are simply swollen again.
- But Cholla, your ankles haven’t swelled in years.
- Everything’s fine. Mel checked me over just this morning.
- You weren’t feeling ill until she came back from the desert.

Jarrah was no fool. When she next visited her daughter, she brought Leetah in tow. Cholla’s resistance to being examined only confirmed the healer’s growing suspicions. The lightest probe of a sending star confirmed the truth.

Leetah flew at Melati, full of accusations. The screams flung between the two healers echoed off the spires. By the next morning everyone in Oasis knew. Elves too young to understand the danger enjoyed the spectacle. Elves old enough to know better despaired in silence.

- How could you do this to her?
- Enough, Grandmother! It’s her choice, and her life to risk.
- Not only hers! There’s a child in there too, or have you forgotten? A child that should have never been created!
- Say that to Cholla’s face if you dare. Or ’Springer’s. And I want to be there when you do.

Leetah said all that and more, if Klipspringer is to be believed. To Cholla’s face, and behind her back. She poured out her fears to her parents, to Lord Haken – she even sent a cry for help across the Vastdeep to Rayek, begging him to come and talk some sense into his sister.

Cholla’s heart had been failing her since the day she was born. Leetah’s best efforts to reshape it had held back the inevitable, but little more. Not until Melati had mastered her gift for fleshshaping had Cholla known a life without pain.

But even Melati’s power had limits. And while Cholla’s fragile shell had found its equilibrium, it could not create new life. The child born outside Recognition seemed utterly incapable of becoming a mother herself.

The wisdom of Recognition, Leetah had called it one, in an attempt to comfort her. It was miracle enough Cholla had survived to adulthood. But gestation and birth were violent acts, and she lacked a warrior’s strength. If elves could conceive as easily as beasts, her dreams of a child would only end in blood and death – of mother or child or both.

Leetah knew nothing of the ache for a child. Her son had been a pleasant surprise, not a wish fulfilled. She would have guided Cholla to seek comfort from other elves who shared her pain, but there were none. While Leetah herself frowned on forced Recognition, other healers practiced the craft often. Nowadays, a childless female is always childless by choice.

- We cannot always have what we want, Cholla.
- I don’t want to pull down the cursed Daystar. It’s just one child. Anyone can have that!
- It is unjust. But you must accept that life is not always–
- Oh bury that scat, healer! If I’d accepted life’s injustice, I’d be dead by now.

Throughout the third season, it seemed Cholla might defy all odds once more. The child grew – slowly but steadily – within her. She was scarcely winded so long as she kept indoors. Others took over the pottery, and Klipspringer devoted himself to her care.

In the fourth season, the troubles began. Her legs swelled; her pulse slowed. The extra blood the baby demanded taxed her heart. Rayek and Swift moved to Oasis to stay near her side. No one spoke of it, but it was clear Rayek did not expect his sister to survive.

The hunter held his tongue around his little sister. But he showed Melati no such consideration when they were alone.

- If my sister dies because of your cursed pride, I will kill you myself, do you understand?
- She won’t die. You have to trust me.
- Then the child will have to die, and you’ll have its blood on your hands.
- I was born with blood on my hands, Palacemaster.
- Is this just some game to you? Have you finally grown bored with your Shapechanged?
- I thought you of all elves would understand - you who have never been bound by limitations.

In the fifth season, Cholla began to bleed. Melati ordered her to take to her bed, and not to rise again until after the birth. Her legs raised on pillows, her breathing a wet rasp, Cholla amused herself knitting swaddling blankets, until she lacked the strength to hold her ivory needles. Then she lay quietly, listening to Klipspringer’s stories – the same stories, day after day, until gradually she lost the strength to even listen.

- She’s dying, Klipspringer. You must see that.
- She’s not dead yet.
- Are you willing to trade her life for a child not yet born?
- It’s her choice, not mine. And she’s not dead yet.

In the sixth season, Melati put Cholla into a deep trance. She moved into Cholla’s house to better tend her. She set up a workshop in Cholla’s sickroom, crowded with strange implements and flesh-shaped monstrosities. One strange cylinder seemed a cider-fermenter sheathed in goatskin. It produced a milky liquid that Melati forced down Cholla’s throat every day – Lord Haken’s own recipe: the potent brew once given to the sleeping Gliders. Cholla’s family could only guess at the other creations – smaller variations on the flesh-tree that produced all their meat.

- So many sculptures – why couldn’t you have just grown Cholla a baby?
- You think you’re joking, but I thought of that. Though it wouldn’t have a proper elf’s soul, would it? No, we have to do this the hard way.

Leetah didn’t want to think about Melati’s words, nor her secretive smile. Instead she consulted the Scroll of Colors with Rayek. It takes two years to grow a child. They searched across elfin history for some sign that the process could be shortened. But even the first Wolfriders, growing faster because of their mortal blood, took at least a year and a half.

Cholla slept on for another season, her belly finally beginning to show under her gown. Klipspringer kept vigil at her side, far too composed for an elf on a death-watch. Some wondered if he had not already lost his wits, if his gentle heart had finally broken under the strain.

In the seventh season, Cholla’s heart finally gave out.

In the end, it was Melati who told Klipspringer the hard truth, for he would only listen to her now.

- We can’t ask any more of her.

In truth, Cholla’s body had been to tried to rid itself of the intruder for months. It had taken all of Melati’s magic to keep the child anchor inside its mother. No longer. A touch was all it took, a simple diverting of blood, a new command to nerves and muscles.

- **If you want to meddle, Grandmother, now’s the time.**

It could not be rightly called a proper baby, what passed into Melati’s hands. A promise of a baby, perhaps. A miniature of a child, barely larger than the palm of the healer’s hand. Leetah barely glanced at it. She could not afford grief now, not while Cholla needed her.
With the intruder expelled, the body could heal itself. Without a greedy womb to steal its blood, Cholla’s heart soon rallied. Slowly, gently, Leetah lifted the sleeping trance, and Cholla’s skin flushed with renewed warmth. A faint sending star flickered to life as Cholla emerged from a sleep beyond dreams.

One life saved. Only then did Leetah remember the other.

She turned to find Melati huddled over one of her flesh-shaped creations: a vaguely egg-shaped pod, no bigger than a rucksack, its skin the shiny consistency of a scar. Melati cradled it like she might an infant. She kept her head bent over the pod, magic hissing and popping in the air about her. When Leetah moved to question her, Klipspringer laid a hand on her arm. At length Melati sat back. The pod shifted in her arms and Leetah could see the seam running across it; it looked like a seed about to sprout. The smile Melati turned towards Leetah and Klipspringer was one of quiet triumph.

Cholla awoke just before sunset. Klipspringer’s was the first face she saw.

- The baby?
- Alive and well and safe in her Cradle.
- Then… it worked? We did it?
- You did it, lifemate. You and Melati. You brave, foolish girl – you do love playing toss-stone!

It takes twelve seasons to grow a child. My mother’s heart held out for seven. The Cradle made up the difference.

We never have been able to settle on just when I was born. Was it in Bloomtide, when I traded Mother’s womb for Melati’s flesh-sculpted one? Was it later in summer, when Melati cracked the Cradle open like a seed-pod, letting my parents hold me for the first time? Or was it during the bone-dry winter, when Father cut my second, sculpted birth-cord and I traded a flesh cradle for a wicker one?

No, I can’t count them all as my birthdays, Jethel! You think I didn’t try that one myself when I was your age.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 am

XDD i honestly can't say one or the other! Then again my brain does funny things...i remember once when i was working, i was thinking very hard debating wether i should say a specific phrase...and my coworker heard her name though i said nothing. I still puzzle over that.

But this was a fantastic read!!!! All these details...i'll have to read over it more carefully a second and third time! Thank you for the story Wingthing!!!!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 2:54 pm

That was a great read, thanks, Wingthing! I always wondered about Cholla's pregnancy as well, so nice to see how it played out!

Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Have you read "Cordelia's Honor," Wingthing? This reminds me of the birth of Miles Vorkosigan.
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am

No, I haven't. Just looked it up on wikipedia and yeah, I see what you mean!
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 5:21 am

*knock knock* @wingthing Just want to leave some love 💖💖💖 I discovered your website and it is fabulous,  with inspiring fanfiction stories and breathtaking ART,  too. 😍 I am especially loving the softness of drawing, the soulful eyes and high details. I like to see familiar characters in a different style as well as new, original characters. The art is so very inspiring and beautiful! 

Wish I had more time to read longer stories but I copied the first story "Revelation" to my E-Book Reader on the go! 😊

Edit: Ahh I realise the first story is "Her secret Soulname is Tam"...have to add that to my E-Book-Reader, too! ^^ So fond of a genderswapt Cutter btw! It is mind twisting to read a full story about her.  Cutter Cool

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Hooray another convert! I feel kinda bad now i didn't mention it to you Prayer, especially when i remember how much you love to read! If you really want to read the stories in chronological order, go to the timeline page!

Can't wait to see what you have to say, you always appreciate something more when some new eyes come around!!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 6:19 pm

I remember one of my very first reads here was Blood Ties, and it was the weirdest pairing I probably wouldn't have ever imagined on my own, but damn it works SO WELL , and the story is just so good that now it's pretty much canon in my head lol!

I was rereading some of the stories last night and got to the most recent one with Naga and Bluestar in the tree again and jeez the suspense is still killing me . I hope we can read more stuff soon, and agree with Vaeri too- maybe the new mini series in November will yield more potential storylines here as well.... that would be awesome!

Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptySun Jul 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Yes! Always gotta love seeing things through Wingthing's eyes!

Hmm...i can't quite remember when i first stumbled on the Alternaverse...i know it was back when Wingthing had her first site, Into the Aether. I can clearly remember reading Culture Shock the first time and laughing uncontrollably at Rayek's exclamation "By Yurek! You ARE having a litter!" Lol...hmm..i can't remember other than that!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 am

Well, I stumbled in late unfortunately. But I do distinctly remember initially reading the old survivor quests and reading that Aroree was a professional weeper and that just made me lose it. laughing. Reading that just had me in stitches. I knew right then and there it would be the beginning of a long, delicious friendship Razz

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 3:28 am

Aww... sweet nostalgia!

Welcome to the party, Prayer! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Perhaps you have some writers nostalgia to share Wingthing?^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))   The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2)) - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

The EQ Alternaverse ((PART 2))
Page 19 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next