Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Death pool

Go down 
+11
Miss Gillespie
Redhead Ember
Multi-Facets
Zadzi
sun girl
Davrille
Sifra
wingthing
Outlier
Lunakat
Miscellaneous
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

22 - Death pool - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 8:22 am

I've actually been thinking some time that he might choose to sacrifice himself for the elves.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Who will die?

*tempted to list my least favorite Elves* drip...drip...drip ... hard to come up with someone. All the meanies I want to be dead seem to be on the spitit plane already. Those I'm quite indifferent about - refuse to come up in mind.
The "redshirts" ... where's the emotional impact and the influence of the story? And I hate to read "Kill off the Wavedancers!". I accept that they are disliked (for one or another reason) be some readers. I know that they are loved by others. It seems so wrong and selfish for me to call for a genocide the storywise extinction of a whole tribe just because of personal dislike.
The youngsters? I'm more curious to see how they might develop. Yes, I still hope for something like developement.
The elders? Just to say "S/He is old enough and has lived his live seems so cheap. It can make for a better story to have them among the survivors - struggling with this fact. Treestump might die because his dream hins it? Okay - I'll be fine with it when it is reasoned otherwise than just "he's old enough and I don't like him anyway". Actually he's an elf who chose an different path - becoming a smith. A maker. An artist. He changed his ways more than most others.
Strongbow? Okay  - you got me. I simply don't want my favorite character to die. I hate the thought - in whatever story you migt come up with. And .. I#m cruel. It's more interesting for me to see him follow his deceaced soulmate Eryn in the Palace than the other way round.
Common death to show there's common death among elves doesn't work for me either.
And ... last not least - since "death" seems to have no meaning with the exiting spirit plane life and the communication grated by the palce I've lost most of my interest in speculating. I got very indifferrent against physical death - it SEEMS to have no meaning anymore.

"No one is safe. Everything is possible." reads for me: Don't care. Lean back and look what will happen.

Last edited by Embala on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to correct a very careless and wrong choice of word ... I'm sorry)
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Nevertheless ...
There's a thought that slowly build up while I was reading the old Elfquest tales ... the main arc. And the most recent developement has not changed it much.

In the beginning, when I read the OQ and the sequels, I got the impression that Cutter will die in the end. I confess - I dislike the hero dying ... tho I know well that it can be the most logical and storywise best developement. I was sure that all the signs hinted an end like Kimba the White Lion - that the main character will go full circle.

After some years it occured to me that the hints were TOO obvious. That we were baited to believe Cutter will die in the very end and someone ... Ember? ... will go on for him. He was so ready to embrace his mortality. Leetah was so stricken by the knowledge thet he will loose her TAM sooner or later. And his Soulbrother Sykwise was so ... afraid of the losws of friends and his own mortality that he decides to clean his wolfblood.

Somewhen at this pont it occured to me that we might be tricked by WP. When it's hinted so clearly that Cutter will die ... maybe it's wrong!
Another idea started to grow ... that mortal Cutter will live on. And that his immortal lifemates will die instead. Leetah. Skywise. If it is Cutter in Futurequest it hints a tragedy.
... and Timmain. Even before the "great revelation" of TimTAM I thought that the last remained High One will die during the Final Quest.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 am

"Genocide" is a far too strong word for some nondescript fictional characters (well, any fictional characters). I know, Embala, that you didn't mean it like that, but words like this one should be reserved for real life atrocities alone. Or would you call Wendy a mass murderer for killing so many Go Backs (and trolls) in OQ? 

I don't think Treestump is going to die, even though a lot of fans probably wouldn't mind, his dream implies, that he is going to suffer. The think he did/made were meant to protect but killed his loved ones in the end. He has to experience this for the full impact.

As for Cutter, I don't get any ''hero's death-vibe'' from him, I'm pretty sure Timmain is going to die since it would be more ironic if her eternal soul joins Cutter's mortal body. But someone very close to him is going to die, probably several elves.

- Scouter would make for a good death, he is even less popular than Treestump and we could get to see two grieving wives -

That said, I'm arguing from a storytelling perspective. So far all the (more or less) fleshed out characters seem to very heavy plot armour and that is boring. So far there were no real casualties in FiQ. Krim was a not so much cared for minor character, Kahvi and Tyldak were off-screen for quite a while and Ruffel was a really, really minor background character (her one character trait was basically 'flirtatious member of Skywise's harem)

namuhna

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 11:24 am

SYNOPSIS FOR #19 SPOILERS

Well I've thought that most elves in the palace will die for a while now, but now it seems there might be something even worse that will happen to ALL of them. I agree that death just isn't that scary anymore, and that might mean they need to up the ante abit. If Rayek/Winnowill or Door should find something in the sun village and poison the palace then maybe create mindcoil from all the elven souls and perhaps the palace itself even... I dunno.

I've been thinking about the continious imagry of Leetah as the sun before and now mentioning the sun village and whatevers there I got reminded of it. What does that mean? I think she'll die, like I said I think all of Cutters family will die (except maybe Skywise) but Leetah as the sun and/or the sun symbol seems to me to hint to something other than death. Maybe she will actually become a star?

...err yes... that's really out there, but then again Tammain.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:
"Genocide" is a far too strong word for some nondescript fictional characters (well, any fictional characters). I know, Embala, that you didn't mean it like that, but words like this one should be reserved for real life atrocities alone. Or would you call Wendy a mass murderer for killing so many Go Backs (and trolls) in OQ? 
You are right.

And I agree with you, Miss Gillespie. I've noticed myself  the other day that my wording was much too strong for what I wanted to express. Careless to say the least and inappropriate considering the impact of a real life genocide. Embarassed But before I could edit it I got distracted ... and forgot it again.

My honest thanks for pointing this out, Miss Gillespie. For reminding me kindly. For the chance mend it as far as possible.

And I apologize in case I've offended the feelings of a reader. It was neither intended to trivialize the meaning of a genocide nor to compare anyone who dropped a whimsy comment with a real life war criminal. My serious apologies.

LurkingCat

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Oh, haven't seen this thread, yet.

I think, Moonshade will die as I wrote some where else in this forum:
My guess is that Moonshade and Strongbow will reconcile and for irony's sake Moonshade will die. That's why in the future Strongbow is in the Palace so he can be with her spirit because it is bound to it...
An other hint for my guess is that one of the last scenes from the teaser trailer, which we haven't yet seen in some way in FQ, is the last picture in the video, where Strongbow and his wolf howl in front of the father tree, zooming to the palace... Another hint for me, that he is going to the palace to be with spirit Moonshade.

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

I kinda hope one of the (wolf-blooded) wolfriders will die in an mundane way.
For all the talk of the Wolfriders' life being "short and dangerous" it's kinda interesting that the last to die was Wing (and shortly before him Woodlock and Rainsong), who - rather unwolfridery - died of old age.
Other than that the last Wolfrider to die was One-Eye, and the last to die in a mundane way way... Rillfisher. No war, no monsters, just... an accident nobody could have foreseen.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 2:16 pm

A bunch of Go Backs.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 27, 2017 5:26 am

@Ember: I would love that, too. But I don't think that in the format of FiQu this is going to happen.
At the moment I'm not sure if there will be many, if any, deaths at all. The forest fire in next issue can't be that disastruous, the blurb only speaks of one character. In #22 the humans are still "...press[ing] closer and closer to the sacred Father Tree..." and the palace will probably leave at the end of the issue.
I really don't see Wendy starting to kill of characters left and right in #23, some red shirts maybe.

In the end, most Wolfriders will have made it through OQ to FiQu

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
For all the talk of the Wolfriders' life being "short and dangerous" it's kinda interesting that the last to die was Wing (and shortly before him Woodlock and Rainsong), who - rather unwolfridery - died of old age.
Other than that the last Wolfrider to die was One-Eye, and the last to die in a mundane way way... Rillfisher. No war, no monsters, just... an accident nobody could have foreseen.
Well there's all the deaths caused by Madcoil between Rillfisher's death and EQ1. But I agree not many died since then.

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 30, 2017 12:32 am

Life used to be short and sharp, a bolt of bright fire in the night....

Now it's like a long, leisurely sunset... watched from under the front porch light...

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 30, 2017 11:49 pm

It was never short and sharp, we've only been told it was like that

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 12:37 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
It was never short and sharp, we've only been told it was like that

To be fair, we have been shown as well, in retrospect.
But yes, I do agree with @Redhead Ember, that I kind of hope a wolfrider dies ... it just raises the stakes higher in some ways. I'm not holding my breath, though.
While the wolfriders have gone through all kinds of shit, and we've seen it , we've also seen them get really lucky as well in those situations.

22 - Death pool - Page 2 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 2:00 am

But that's what I mean, we only see this in stories of the past. It was never the "now" of the reader. We start with OQ and we never experience a short and sharp lifestyle. Even in the Wolfrider anthologies, most deaths are brutal tragic events (Crescent and Skywise's parents get slaughtered by humans, a bunch gets slaughtered by Madcoil), we only see a few random deaths.
In real life animals of prey get seriously hurt all the time (infights, during hunts), that never happens with Wolfriders.

I'm not the biggest fan of plot armour, as you can tell

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 am

I am in agreement, yes, I understand. I know we were actually shown early on, not just told, and in some ways that actually kind of feels like a promise made to have other deaths happen. Granted, Cutter DID give them a 'better way', but still, I sort of thought maybe more would happen.

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Zinegirl wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:
Well there's all the deaths caused by Madcoil between Rillfisher's death and EQ1. But I agree not many died since then.

I wouldn't exactly call the deaths caused by Madcoil mundane...
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 6:04 pm

New preview is up. Might it be Door that bites the dust, after 'seeing the light' ? Or Redlance? I'm still wondering ultimately if a preserver dies though we can't tell from this preview https://www.newsarama.com/35907-major-death-teased-in-elfquest-final-quest-21-preview.html#s6

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Chot is a good candidate too ... judging from the spoiler.

In case Future Quest will be more or less canon and The Rebels will live ... then there should be a dead Preserver sooner or later, Zadzi. And my bets are on Petalwing himself. Preserver (okay ... I repeat myself XD)

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 13, 2017 4:34 am

I think the proper term is Petalwing itself, preservers are gender-less.

Anyway... I'm gonna be pretty sad if Redlance dies, but at the same time I know that dying is part of the Wolfriders' life.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

The preservers may not have gender but Petalwing has always come off a bit of boyish to me for whatever reason Razz

Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 13, 2017 2:31 pm

For some reason, I always perceived the Preservers in tall pointy hats as male, and short flowery hats as female.

PostSubject: Re: Death pool   22 - Death pool - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Death pool
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: ElfQuest Comic Discusions-
Jump to: