Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

The food network

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

The food network - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 5:11 am

Let's illustrate this thread.

The food network - Page 2 54262810

And don't forget..

..the spicy sauce !

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 5:43 am

I like it.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 10:52 pm

from PCoquelin
I invented the cocktail recipe: frozen pineapple juice, with vodka, and ginger

Two fresh pineapples.
Cut in dice. Keep some pineapple dice. Press the others and filter the juice.
Mix with vodka. Filter again, at least twice.
Then goto freezer.

Serve FROZEN, with vodka.
Put the remaining (frozen) pineapple dice in sugar. Serve them with the drink (free addition of Perrier or Ricqles, to neutralize a little, while staying in the same spirit).

Add ginger, a little true mint leaves and such little things.

Relax. Sip. Especially yummy after sports, in hot weather.

PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 am

If anyone finds a name for it, it's "their" cocktail!

'til then..

The food network - Page 2 PC726_Bk4RevSuntopAv

..share !

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Pineapple ginger express

or smoothie instead of express

This coming from a tea totaler.

Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:58 pm

I like that, gives a new meaning to Pineapple Express! Very Happy

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm

It sure does. Pineapple Express for us here in California means a heavy, muggy, and wet rain storm that originates from Hawaii.

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 12:07 am

Something new to try.

First you need some boneless chicken breasts.

Season as you wish.

Bake at 350 degrees, turning every 10 to 15 mins, until nearly cooked. Then add marinera sauce or a vodka sauce on the top of the chicken. Add a slice of mozzarella or provolone cheese and all to melt.

For the seasoning I used some coarse ground pepper and a black garlic powder.

IceTooth

IceTooth

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I have been successful in making my first batch of Fruit Kvass! Smile

I came home from vacation to find that our plum tree was exploding with plums. So many were getting wasting I decided that I had to do something with them...and as an amateur craft beer brewer I wanted to do something a little on the boozy side. Drinking

While I was out of town I picked up a book on how to make fermented and alcoholic drinks out of natural herbs, plants and fruits. I found the recipe for Fruit Kvass and the author mentioned that homegrown plums have gobs of wild yeast on them. So instead of using a yeast starter, I opted to just put the plums in the water with some sugar. Risky yes, but I also make sourdough breads so I have some knowledge on how wild yeast and fermentation works. Plus putting your own spin on recipes is so much fun! I've never been one to follow the rules when it comes to cooking. Very Happy

I was so worried I'd end up with a moldy, nasty mess. But after 36 hours things were fermenting beautifully and by 48 hours I took a taste and it was INCREDIBLE! Fizzy, tart and delicious. I could have let it age longer but the taste was so good that I bottled it (plastic) and kept the fruit pulp to eat as it is very tasty and full of probiotic goodness.

I have a second batch brewing and after picking another 10 lbs of fruit yesterday I decided I am going to do a third batch but this time add a few other fruits from our garden (berries, apples) to change things up a bit. And there's many more on the tree...so many plums. We are going to also make plum syrup and chutney but with so many left over (and that's after eating tons of them) turning them into a mildly alcoholic drink just seemed like the right thing to do. Laughing

However, if I want to make real kvass, I will have to use bread. Hmm...perhaps I can use my fermented plums to make sourdough and then make the traditional kvass out of that...yum...yes I do love making and baking in the kitchen. Smile

Whoops! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

A few pounds of home grown plums
1/2 cup sugar
Water

Lightly wash the plums, then cut them up and place them in a gallon sized glass jar or jug. Fill container to about 70-80% capacity, then fill the rest of it with filtered water leaving a few inches of space at the top. Put in the sugar and then cover and shake the container. Keep the lid on the container but do not fully tighten as you want to let the fermentation gases escape...or use stopper that that has air holes. Place in a dark place and then shake the container for 10-15 seconds every 8 hours.

In things are going well, by the second day you should see the fruit swell up and rise to the top and lots of bubbles forming. Check the smell to make sure it smells like fruit and not like something nastybad. After 2 days (or more depending on temperature, etc) you should notice that the fruit smell is less potent and shaking the container causes a lot of fizzy bubbles. If you can see this it is probably ready so give it a taste and then enjoy if it tastes good! Smile

Note: If you have store bought plums/fruit and are unsure of wild yeast, the default method is to use a yeast starter. I haven't tried this method yet but will post when I do.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 am

Icetooth, that sounds amazing! I love fermented food and drinks - and I've never heard of kvass! Will have to look into it .

Yesterday I made a quickish dessert, Turkish dried dates which I simmered with brown sugar, allspice, water, bay leaf, cardamom.  I then whipped up some honey, greek yogurt and creme fraiche and stuffed the apricots with them. Served with drizzled agave rosewater syrup, and chopped pistachios. It was gooooooooood!

I also found a shortcut to making my own chili garlic oil last week! Gosh, I love this stuff. You basically smash and chop a few garlic cloves, add some chili peppers, add a little salt and maybe smashed ginger root too (I love ginger) and put it in a bowl. Then you heat up some oil until it's very hot and *almost* smoking but not quite (I use grapeseed oil because I prefer it, but vegetable oil can easily be used. Avoid extra virgin olive oil since it has a pretty low smoke point.) and pour it directly into the chili garlic blend. It will bubble and kind of par-cook everything into a delicious aromatic. Stir a few times. Aaaaand, there you have it. A very potent chili garlic oil you can use immediately! The stuff keeps for a long time, but then it doesn't really last long in the house since I love it Smile

The food network - Page 2 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 2:19 am

I created a cocktail when i first got into drinking...i called it a Sunset.

Take a smallish glass and fill with half pineapple juice and half peach snapps. Stir. Pour in a shot of grenadine. Serve!

The grenadine and pineapple juice layer creating a beautiful red-orange-gold coloring that reminded me of a sunset. It was my favorite...until mojitos.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 2:28 am

That's an awesome combo, Vaeri! Aesthetically beautiful but also reaaaaallly tasty Smile
And yeah, I love mojitos, too... my head can't take rum though lol

The food network - Page 2 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Something new!

Omelette Muffins

These make the best easy breakfast!

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 25 minutes

Total Time 35 minutes

Ingredients

1/2 Cup Green Peppers, chopped
1/2 Cup Tomatoes, chopped
1/4 Cup Onions, chopped
12 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
Place an equal amount of chopped green peppers, tomatoes and onions into each muffin cup.
Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour an equal amount of egg mixture into each muffin cup.
Top with equal amounts of shredded cheese.
Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Eat warm or let cool in pan and then remove and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm

I'd try those - sounds tasty. Very Happy Even better - I'd be able to cook those! ^^

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 am

They are good!!!!  Very easy to make as well.  Plus you can add any extra ingredients you want.

Another new one.

Taco Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef
2 envelopes taco seasoning
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup water
1 cup cooked rice
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup sour cream
2 cups corn chips
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese, divided
1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
Optional: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and chopped red onion

Directions

Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. Add tomatoes, water, rice and green chiles; heat through, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, prepare cornbread mix according to package directions; stir in corn. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the meat mixture, all the sour cream, half of the corn chips and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining batter, remaining meat mixture, olives and remaining corn chips.
Bake, uncovered, until cornbread is cooked through, 55-60 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake until melted, 3-5 minutes longer. If desired, serve with lettuce, tomatoes and red onion.

I would use a deeper dish or a 14" x 10" baking dish. This is super good, but it can overflow the dish. Extra sour cream as must and any other condiments you want to use.

Update on this recipe!

Instead of Hamburger meat, see if your local grocer sell a shredded beef or something similar. Eliminate the cornbread and rice. This stuff is great for burritos or tacos, and is very good too.

Last edited by G0lden on Wed May 27, 2020 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 5:24 am

Just to gather things nicely (from the How do you feel? thread):

@Rainflower wrote:
Suddenly I am facinated by soups as I have allot of tomato canes stored now. Anyone have a good idea for a way to use kidney beans?
@Stormcatcher wrote:
@ Rainflower: How about chili sin carne? Very versatile and easy to cook: https://nutriciously.com/chili-sin-carne-vegan/
@Yeee wrote:
That recipe is very interesting, because my eldest daughter Marie loves Chili con carne, but her stomach is so sick, she can eat less and less. First it was no meat anymore, in the meantime she cannot eat fish, eggs and anything from animals anymore, only honey is ok.
@Nibblet wrote:
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/11/01/carrot-kidney-bean-burger-recipe/

I've made these a few times now and they're delicious! And very cheap
@Startear wrote:
Cookin on a bootstrap! Love that blog.

I eat kidney beans all the time, due to iron defficency. If you're struggling with that, then remember that in order to take in iron, you need to eat C-vitamin as well. So here are my tips.

You can make a vegan "taco" kind of soup if you heat up some oil and add onions, garlic carrots, cellery, beans and cans of tomato or salsa, add water and spices and boil until the carrots are soft and then puree it a stick blender or a regular one (if you use the latter, make sure the soup is cooled if you don't want soup bomb.) Adjust with salt and hot sauce of choice.

You can also make "italian" soup which is similar except you use italian seasoning blend, add some tomato paste, ground beef, kidney beans, and whatever you have of vegies, like cabbage or corn. This one you don't blend and it is amazing with bread.

Another favorite of mine is "Sirracha Legumes and eggs." This is a selfmade recipie. What I do is to take a pan, and panfry whatever sturdy vegies I have, like onions, carrots, kale/spinach, and red bell pepper (the most common vegies in my fridge, but if it can take pan frying, then in it goes.) Then I add whatever legume I have, like kidney beans, green lentils or chickpeas. I love spicy food and put lots of sirracha on. Meanwhile I panfry eggs in a seperate pan and when my veggies are caramelized to my liking, I eat it over whatever grain I have (I prefer bulgur, but you can also use couscous or even rice) and eat it. This one can get really spicy, but I find that the yolk mellows the flavor if I have added too much sauce, and it also maks it less dry.

Rainflower

Rainflower

Libra Snake

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 6:59 am

Wow Why didn't I see this before? Love this thread already. And thank you for tips everyone.
Back to top Go down
Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 1:52 pm

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Some more delightful illustrations:

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2020 9:04 pm

Over the last seven months I have had to take over almost all of the cooking. I started watching cooking shows on network TV and decided it wasn't all that hard.

We threw out the oven years ago because it took up too much space in our small kitchen. We have a double electric burner, a portable oven and a large microwave. I haven't gotten into using the oven yet.

I've stopped using the microwave for everything, and now use pots and pans. Cooking has to be low salt, low sugar, low fat and low carb for Trollhubby, and I don't have a lot of time to devote to it. I'm going to use a wok next. No shortage of recipes.

I managed to sneak in green vegetables tonight, and he thought it was delicious.

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptyTue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Try to check for five ingredient recipes online Trollbabe.  There some very good one too.

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 EmptySun May 31, 2020 7:57 pm

@G0lden wrote:
Try to check for five ingredient recipes online Trollbabe.  There some very good one too.

That sounds like a great idea!

PostSubject: Re: The food network   The food network - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The food network
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: Off Topics-
Jump to: