Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

photobucket has broken links

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

photobucket has broken links Empty
PostSubject: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 4:26 am

Okay - photobucket has changed its terms of sevice radically. Without decent warning. Decided to break links in the process. Borders on blackmail. Evil or Very Mad  In short - it sucks.

All my threads are messed up - basically killed. I'm discussing what to do right now, checking options and making decisions.

What I know for sure - I'll fix my posts here one way or the other. FTH is my online home and I'll keep it nice and tidy. Might take some time, tho.

In case you have linked to my photobucket account (i.e. your banner) let me know what you miss. I'll reload it here on sirvimg and give you the new link.

@Nibblet I'm aware that this is not the typical forum announcement. Feel free to move this elsewhere in case it's displaced.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 5:01 am

I have an online home and tribemates here. Why not use it for advice! Very Happy

Looking for a good, reliable picture hosting site:
- preferably for free or for a decent price
- folders for different topics can be created
- no problem with "3rd party hosting"
Sharing positive/negative experiances with other sites? Any recommendation?

I know we can upoad here directly via servimg.com. No 3rd party trouble in this case. I'll have to look into this, too. No idea how much space they offer ...

Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 am

I always use imgur. You can have folders and they don't mind 3rd party hosting as long as it's not for commercial goals.
Other alternatives are Flickr and Tinypic, though Flickrs interface requires getting used to I think. It's somewhat different to other image hosting sites. Tinypics site can load a bit slow in my experience.

Personally I loathe photobucket because when clicking on a downsized image to view it full size and it's hosted there, they don't just give me the full size image but instead I'm a redirected to a page on their site with the image, and their site loads tremendously slow for me and I can't view the image if I don't disable adblock :/

tl;dr: In my experience imgur is the best option

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Many  thanks for the input, Zinegirl. Very Happy

I had Imgur on my list ... and after your recommendation I've taken a closer look. In their terms of service I found something that worries me:

"Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."

Sounds like probable trouble for me ... pale Not sure whether I understand right , tho ... and whether "content delivery network" refers to commercial use only.

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 11:50 pm

That doesn't sound good Em,

Thanks again for the fix.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Forumotion has made an announcement in regards to the photobucket catastrophy.
Our site graphics are safe as they've never been hosted through photobucket, they've always been hosted on servimg, so no worries on that.

They also state that Servimg will stay free.

Forumotion wrote:

Dear users,

We inform you that the hosting images service PhotoBucket, which is one of the biggest hosting service on the internet and used by a lot of Forumotion users, changed its terms of use and you have now to pay to use it.

Since the beginning of July 2017, Photobucket added fees to display the images it hosts on third-party hosting. Indeed, this service allows only the users that have a premium account on their service to see the pictures hosted there. A premium account is around 400$ / year ! affraid

Consequence : more than 100 millions of internet users discovered a notification that asked them to buy a premium account to be able to use the images hosted on Photobucket or just to see them on their own website.

Indeed, the images hosted on Photobucket are only displayed for the premium account and are not shown on external websites they are on, replaced by an image that invites the users to suscribe to a premium account.

To avoid any problem on Forumotion themes and forums, we are going to replace all the PhotoBucket images that are on Forumotion by an empty image.

We'll do it on the Wednesday 12 of July 2017. As a consequence, we invite all the administrators that have PhotoBucket images on their forum to change their host by hosting those images on another host, such as Servimg which stays free.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best Reguards,
The Forumotion staff

so if anyone has stuff on photobucket that they want to stay here, you either have to pay a ridiculous amount for the privilege of using or host it elsewhere by the 12th. What a carry on, eh?!

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

I can't see how photobucket is going to be able to keep going. I know they have a very spotty service through Embala, and this move is just...insane. Or a last cash-grab.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

As far as I can see, it's just corporate suicide for the sake of money

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Yup, that's what I think too.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you so much for the information, Nibblet! Hammy

I'm working already to move my pictures from the bucket to imgserv.com ... I hope it will go well and last for a considerable time.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: photobucket has broken links   photobucket has broken links Empty

Back to top Go down

photobucket has broken links
Page 1 of 1