Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...

Go down 
+2
PCoquelin
Prayer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... Empty
PostSubject: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyWed May 02, 2018 10:29 am

Theories about why The Final Quest ended how it ended:

Note: I don't claim any of these theories to be true. They are just a pool of 'What if's' in my mind...

Dear Wendy, if you are reading this, I don't mean to offend you. I love you. Even if you would tell us the whole Elviverse is just a dream of drunken Spiderman.

1) INDIFFERENCE

Wendy: I've put my heart into EQ but now I am tired of it. I will end the series by killing off the main character. *doesn't think much about a meaningful death for Cutter because she doesn't care that much anymore*

Result: The ending seems bad because it was done not wholeheartedly.

2) CHANGE OF PRIORITIES

Wendy: I love Elfquest but I want to convey my spiritual message and care more about my message than the original story.

Result: The ending seems bad for fans because we fans care more about the story and authentic characters than a spiritual message.

3) EVIL VERSION OF ELFPOP

Wendy: Richard, I have wonderful plans for Final Quest! A great plotline in mind. Unfortunately, Skywise will die but in a meaningful way. I feel it is the right thing in order for character development. He will be a free spirit reaching the stars. It will be...*tells him a wonderful story of hope, love and friendship; death is not like the dropping of a feather*

Richard: HOW can you plan to kill Skywise? He is MY ELF.

*both arguing about the plot*

Richard: GO KILL CUTTER.

Wendy: ...

Result: the ending seems bad because it was not Wendy's but Richard's idea of a good ending.

4) DEPRESSION

Wendy: I feel depressed. I will be authentic and need to process my dark thoughts and feelings of hopelessness. Therefore I will kill my alter ego in a disturbing way.

*goes ahead crushing Cutter's mind by stealing his soul and identity, sinking into depression, having no signs of joy for life anymore, losing his soul brother in all but blood who wants adventure more than living an adventurous, fulfilling life with him, letting him being killed by...a spider*

Result: the ending seems bad and depressing because the author is depressed yet being authentic about it trough alter ego storytelling.

5) LOST GIFT OF STORYTELLING

Wendy: I want FQ to be a masterpiece! *tries her best but fails to reach the hearts of her fans*

Result: The ending seems bad because we fans were spoiled from former masterpieces of her. Nobody's perfect. Not to forget muses can also come back!

6) GREED

Wendy and Richard: Haha! We just want to make money! Sick and tired of EQ and FQ and the elves really!

Result: money is the root of all evil

7) LOVE FOR TEZUKA

Osamu Tezuka was the japanese Godfather of Anime and heavily influenced Wendy's art and work as she stated in Interviews. In one work of Tezuka: 'Kimba the White Lion's the main character Kimba died in the end, leaving many fans angry and disappointed. Maybe Wendy wanted to step into his footsteps.
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyWed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

What if Strongbow lost his mind? There's something fishy about him going to starhome... won't he have to change his name? What would that be without "strong" and "bow"?

Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyWed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

The most shocking part of the Final Quest was the Cutter - Timmain link.

The rest I can forgive.

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyWed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Tim Tam was the most shocking (and creepy) thing for me as well PCoquelin. Greatly developed and rounded characters like CUTTER can't be little soul splits, even in my very open minded 'What if'- head. It just doesn't make sense to me. He is a whole soul and big hearted character to me.

Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyThu May 03, 2018 6:24 am

Plot Theory #1

Timmain has the multiple personalities disorder.

The whole universe of Elfquest is in her mind. Every elf is an aspect of her. For example Leeha is love, Winnowill is evil, Rayek is pride, etc...she can't recover because she is the illness. She just says Cutter is a split of her soul because in reality Cutter is the real "I" and a human looking like Cutter in the real world (earth).

All elves are represented as humans in the real world with character similarities. For example Skywise is his best friend and a physician, Moonshade a designer, Tyleet a Dolmetscher etc..

Thus Timmain is not real in the real world.

Cutter is real.

Timmain says she is the mother of all elves because she is the illness that created the multiple personalities we see as the elves.

When Timmain dies (the illness dies), Cutter regains his health and wakes up as a human looking like Cutter with his wife Leetha, his children and his friends, and enemies from Elfquest (all humans).

Before he acted in the real world as a person with multiple personalities (having as many personalities as we know elves in the elfworld) in one person and when he died in the elfworld in his mind, he is was in coma in the real world (in a bed on earth).

This is disturbing but now Cutter has a whole soul and a family to live his life with happily (after recovery from his illness, waking from coma, learning to walk again etc.) until he dies.

Just a theory...

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyThu May 03, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm not so creative with plot theories. XD ... but I love to read ...

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyThu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Or, maybe Wendy and Richard have actually been telling the truth when they've spoken about how they planned to end (their part of) the story with killing off Cutter for over 20 years.
A Hero's Journey that ends with the Hero's death, plain and simple; no theories needed.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyThu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

After all, it's just a theory...

...A way of creativity having fun for the sake of fun^^. It's playing with concepts without meaning to offend or anything.

What are your 'What if's'?

Just any tiny creative thoughts? Another perspective or outcome in your head while reading Elfquest? Hidden romances? Stories behind the shown plotline?

You can't tell me you never have imagined sth different! ;-)

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyFri May 04, 2018 6:27 am

What if Rayek had learned the truth about Venka earlier? (ie before heading off to Blue Mountain)

What if Skywise had actually died at that waterfall? (Obviously no Yun and no Jink)

What if Dewshine and Tyldak had decided to co-parent Windkin, though that would probably only have worked if Voll had survived. In fact, if Voll had survived I could imagine he would be the one more-or-less begging them to do so "Aww! Tyldak! Let your little boy come up and visit us from time to time, if his mother will allow it." acting like some doting grandparent, spoiling Windkin completely rotten (and the other kids too.)

As for hidden romances; my shipping mind is in overdrive!

sunstream + brill + Venka
Daboi and the human twins (Chief of Chiefs daughters), or maybe just one of them, dunno if the Insect tribes believe in polygamy
Molli and Urlgan  (brilliant example of "pair the spares"...)
The trio of Wavedancer "pips" might also share a grotto from time-to-time (they're not exactly pips any more)
Dodia and Ahnshen, for some weird reason...

Plus the strongly hinted ones:

Laughing Pike + Yun
:korafay: + :reef:
Trinket + That guy Mender prettied up (of course Trinket also seems to have developed quite a crush on Cutter and Leetah's son...)
Freetouch + Dre-Ahn (though she's probably also dancing with Sust and/or Pool from time to time. Unless of course they've gone off on their own.)

I also have a silly little head-canon that Ember is actually pregnant on that very last, 16-year-later, page.
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Woahh, amazing What If's'! *__*

I actually WISHED many times Venka had seen his daughter earlier! What a cruel mother to hide the baby from her father for whatever selfish reasons...

If Skywise would have died...it would have been sad. Cutter would have been so depressed. The story would have been very different because the stargazer is a big driving force in the story...

What an interesting thought for Dewshine and Tyldak to co-parent windkin! And it's funny how Voll would have been the dreamy grandpa, totally spoiling the flying babyboy! ^^ I wish Voll would have lived longer in the story. *sniff*

So many couples! Very Happy I would love Korafay and 'the broken one'...

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySun May 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Prayer wrote:
So many couples! Very Happy I would love Korafay and 'the broken one'...
They are pretty much canon.

... just like Freetouch and Dre-ahn judging from the last scene.

Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon May 07, 2018 11:22 am

I see your point. :-)

However I am not quite convinced from one panel Freetouch and Dre-ahn being a romantic couple...

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon May 07, 2018 12:36 pm

They're probably just having a bit of casual fun every now-and-then. Skywise Wink

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon May 07, 2018 3:06 pm

That's not the facial expression of flirty, teasing, "itchy" Freetouch. She's like a dreamy devoted girl in love.

... of course one panel can mislead interpretations. I admit it is no absolute proof - but I see lovemating at least. They mirror young Nightfall and Redlance.
Actually my first reaction was "... and to crown it all Freetouch mutated into a doppelgänger of young Moonshade in love... Rolling Eyes "

Last edited by Embala on Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon May 07, 2018 5:33 pm

That's a good explanation of how you feel about it, Embala. How romantic. Freetouch mirroring young Moonshade in love *sigh*... I would love to see 'wild and free' and a little bit - even for an elf - too sexually free Freetouch changing into a devoted, more serious lifemate. Being still a free, adventurous and open minded elf but at the same time devoted to one love = a more mature version of herself. She is Moonshade's and Strongbow's daughter after all. Her parents were as monogamous as elfs could possibly be.

Maybe Dre-Ahn would even learn to send just with her because of love.

Bonus: The reader finally finds out what's going on in this lonely hum hummm head.

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyTue May 08, 2018 6:39 am

Embala wrote:
That's not the facial expression of flirty, teasing, "itchy" Freetouch. She's like a dreamy devoted girl in love.

... of course one panel can mislead interpretations. I admit it is no absolute proof - but I see lovemating at least. They mirror young Nightfall and Redlance.
Actually my first reaction was "... and to crown it all Freetouch mutated into a doppelgänger of young Moonshade in love... Rolling Eyes "

On closer inspection I think you're right. Especially with Dart's "Huh, I didn't expect my little sister to actually settle down." look.
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon May 14, 2018 9:31 pm

That's funny with Dart's expressions on the last panel. ^^

What if Dre-Ahn starts to talk? What would he say...? Maybe he would start as a singing poet, a bit like Two-Edge...

Could extrovert Freetouch even be happy to have a non talking and non sending lifemate? Does she has the abilities to make him open up and speak?

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Too much deaths - either poorly motivated or without adaquate result. Sad There was often the question "what would you change about EQ?" and "Which of the beloved dead would you want to bring back?" I never had an answer to this - either it was not important enough for me - or I was okay with death for various reason. Until Final Quest ...

Prayer wrote:
Regarding the darkness of my feelings concerning The Final Quest I should really consider of erasing this continuation of everything canon I LOVED AND CHERISHED before!

I remember... Elfquest was filling my heart with joy and wonder before...

This is for you, Fairyring! Let me follow another thread of color in the Scrolls - another direction in a multiverse of possibilities. I'll concentrate on the death toll ... and admittedly I do not like death of characters very much. ^^

Ruffel ... sweet and playful and in a way innocent Ruffel. For some reason I'm okay with her death and how she died. I mourn her but her death had an impact on me and I got the impression that the characters really care. And - last not least she lived more than 10,000 years for sure and enjoyed most of it.

Krim ... Expiery-Date-Now Krim. Rolling Eyes I've ranted already one time too much about her badly motivated and totally useless death. Girl, you've lived how long? Hardly more than 600 years ... make it 700 perhaps. You had a loving lifemate, a young son (yes 3 or 4 decades ARE young for an elf!), a functional community and you were in good physical and mental health. And overnight you decide "Time to DIE NOW!" ... and then you even mess up and miss your target. Turning the Djun into an even more revengeful eunuch is NOT an achievement. I've never mourned her stupid sacrifice - I've mourned Pike.
My suggestion: Krim and Lehrigen DID go for the Djun ... Krim hoping to stop the invasion by killing the Djun ... Lehrigen seeking a fast and honorable death in fight. Give Lehrigen the strike against the Djun, preferably killing him (invasion can go on nevertheless - he had enough time to indoctrinate his sub-commanders). Wounded Krim is saved by Pike and Sust and healed because she wants to be healed! She finally found peace within her family and a lifestyle that's more than fight and fast death. Krim Grin Nevertheless she will fiercely fight to protect family and tribe!

Kahvi - she too seeked death. In her case it's very much in character and comprehensible for me. She must have lived for several thousand years (born in the time of Two-Spear and Skyfire, revived several hundred years before EQ1, lived awake through most of the following 10,000 years).
In this time even an immortal elf can get tired or bored of life. She had lost or given up about everything she cared for: the Palace, her tribe, daughters, the love of her life ... and be it for good or bad reason her infant son. I'm as fine with her death as she is. Kahvi
Let's add a little twist: It turns out that she still has some wolfblood left - enough to be able to show up on Abode if she want to. ^^

Ikopek - old guy was supposed to die sooner or later. And his death caused Shuna to have her aging stopped. *sigh* I'd like to know how her mission affected the developement and history of Abodian society.

Moonshade - I was sure she would die the moment she was "hiding from Abodian hardships" in the Palace. I did not like the longwired "back and forth" in their relationship crisis. And - I simply don't get how the couple who was described as the closest bond, lovers who were rather sending than talking, are unable to understand the changes and needs of each other within a decent time. Have they unlearned to send? Unlearned to talk and listen to each other?
Let's make it simple. Strongbow and Moonshade settled their case comparably soon. They understand that Moonshade needs to change and go to the Palace and Strongbow needs to stay and live a wolfrider life. They still love, there are still mutual visits - but they agree that their ways will lead in different directions.
When the Palace leaves Abode basically everything happens as it was written in FQ. But Moonshde's spirit does not go to the Palace immediately (because she is connected to Strongbow willingly). Mender can mend her badly injured husk in time and Moonshade returns into her restored body (think: One-Eye/Leetah healing working). Moonshade has realized by her instinctive reaction to shield Strongbow that this is where she really wants to be.
Moonshade keeps the magic she developed during her time in the Palace and becomes the "new High One" of the Wolfriders. She and Strongbow are honored elders and magic users and live at peace and apparently will see one or two grand children.  Moonshade
btw: skip this infamous locks carpet! ^^

Kimo - seriously boy Rolling Eyes are you really so naive? Or did you know that Rayek was ready to shield you? Either Kimo never got caught because he knew better or he was rescued by Rayek's shield. He survives without serious injury and has learned to be more sensible and cautious with humans. He returns to Shuna and Shenshen. Once he learned to turn into wolf shape - he can learn to change in Human form too. This way he will be the perfect companion for Shuna and Shenshen - as a Human, as an Elf and as a wolf.  Kimo

Cutter - well, Rayek never carried him as far away from the burning Fathertree ... and never into this spiderweb-infested part of the forest. Thus no spiritmaker can bite. Case solved. Cutter Cool
About the TimTam issue ... Cutter is getting along with it. Rolling Eyes Naaah. Timmain was downright lying?  Shocked No. Let's say ... scratch Hmmm - Timmain messed up! Exclamation When she "usurped" the newly concieved shell she was in Wolf Form for 10 millennia, almost starved, desperate ... - she remembered wrong or misunderstood what actually happened. She did not "seed" the shell with a "sliver" of her soul but formed a connection, a mind-bridge similar to recognition. This way she could "take part" of Cutter's life in a virtual way - but it was always justCutter/TAM who made decisions. At some point Cutter has understood that he is NOT a part of Timmain but a person, a spirit of his own and always has been.
He and Leetah are other Elders in Ember's tribe  and they raise "Cutlet" together.

I've focussed on retconing some of the death toll without changing much of the story line. It's not supposed to be a better FQ - just something I would prefer. ^^ Tribe members with more talent for story telling may rewrite parts of the Final Quest that come across illogical or far-fetched. There are many threads of color in the Scroll for fanart, fan fiction - or just for private mind games.

For now I hope for some Cutter-Cutlet-Leetah fanart I've requested from Prayer. Wink

Last edited by Embala on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 am

Thank you sooooo much, Embala! Sorry for answering so late. I had an eventful week so far. But your wonderful alternate timeline description sticked totally in my head and I tried to imagine...tried to REWIRE my Elfquest brain department if to say so. Smile

I want your story to be canon in my head now.

I love the deepness of character descriptions, the deaths but also sparing of deaths and especially how you described Strongbow and Moonshade
It makes all sense!

And I'll definitely will come up a Cutter-Leetah-Cutlet fanart!

Thank you for sharing with us! Love it!!! <3
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 am

Prayer wrote:

1) INDIFFERENCE
2) CHANGE OF PRIORITIES
3) EVIL VERSION OF ELFPOP
4) DEPRESSION
5) LOST GIFT OF STORYTELLING
6) GREED
7) LOVE FOR TEZUKA

I guess it's a mix of a few percent 1), a good amount of 2) and maybe 4) and genral tiredness. Like I wrote, the death seems so me very "OT", off world, out-time, not-logical-within-the-world-of-2-moons. Like "we need to end EQ now, so let's kill the main character, because this is what ends stories". It doesn't fit Cutter as a character.
Though, he might be shattered due to that Timmain thing.
Or maybe some "EQ is emotional, about emotions; so let's hit the table hard and kill off Cutter". Either way I didn't like it.

That Cutter ends somehow, well, maybe. Not necessary for me but if it is to be, well. Doesn't need to be the stereotypical heroic stuff, but bleeding out life like this ... yes, Cutter was definitely suffering from a fully grown depression. His brain chemistry was broken.
Well, I can hardly remember having seen many positive reactions about this ending, unless they were from a kind of filter-bubble.1 I wish it had ended differently.

But I felt that tiredness throughout FQ. It is a lot of work and it can burn you out; especially if you have to meet deadlines. So maybe they just wanted to get things done and did therefore not choose a more elaborate way to end things.
Back to top Go down
Prayer

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySat Jul 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you your thoughts and your elaboration on this touchy topic, jaRf.

I thought so much about it... why it didn't really feel like Elfmom anymore... you said off-world and that's such a good description for this phenomenon.

Your explanation makes much sense although we can't really know and probably never will from what I've read of and hears in their interviews about the ending. I still love Elfquest but the older works and original quest. <3

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 4:36 pm

I had to hand in my graduation thesis three months after (can't think of the right word momentarily) "registering" it. My thesis was, of course, almost finished at that point. Most student went the same route.
If a deadline is so difficult to meet for Wendy - what she should know, since she's in the business for decades - why didn't she do the same trick as I? That "deadlines are so tight and stressing" thing is bullshit

Prayer

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... EmptySat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 am

I admire people who successfully plan ahead, are always organized and don't bother about deadlines because obviously they worked AHEAD! *-*

I wish I could be like that, too. But I'm not. Being organized lasts at least three days or so. I literally get distracted by something while writing the to-do list itself. ^^ Some people have it in their nature to procrastinate and leave as many options open as possible. I literally get a feeling of suffocating if I 'act' otherwise. I value spontaneity. That's where I get my creativity from when I work on something art-related. I know many artists who also procrastinate and have troubles meeting deadlines. I don't mean to generalise though... maybe Wendy's a bit like that, too?

I agree with you tough that if you already know you will be troubled meeting deadlines or will expose yourself to loads of stress that can make you I'll that one should TRY to jump over one's shadow and work more ahead... especially if there's a fanbase to be disappointed.

I can't imagine how much work there must be behind a whole comic (despite the assistants). But Elfmom did it so well before TFQ. Something has happened. Maybe burnout. I hope not depression. But the signs are in her latest (last?) work of EQ...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...   1 - What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind... Empty

Back to top Go down

What if...? Theories and imaginations. Free your mind...
Page 1 of 1