Useful thread: A Breakdown of What's What
by SkyaMy Try of a Reader's Guide
It's not "the ultimative reader's guide" but good enough for a smooth read. I'll give you some information about the different series so you can decide by yourself.Original QuestSiege at Blue MontainKing of te Broken WheelDreamtime
- happens shortly after the return of the Palace ... awesome Wendy artHidden Years #4
,5 and #10-15
- single issues filling gaps and giving background information for the time from the return of the Palace until the main story lines SHARDS and HIDDEN YEARS start. Read before starting with Shards and the rest of HY!
Main storyline - Shards
) and Hidden Years
til the end) - run parallel and influence each other. Shards #10 / HY #24 and Shards #12 / HY #25 are directly connected - read the Shards issue before you look in the corresponding HY issue - spoiler warning
About same time as Shards and Ember's Hidden Years storylineNew Blood #14-35
- Forevergreen Arc ... no direct connections with Shards/HY but it has necessary informations about the Sunvillagers' and Windkin's fate.
Would be no fault to read New Blood #11
before you start the Forevergreen Arc with NB #14
gathers both the three story lines and the scattered elves.
Here you should read In All But Blood
- it starts with Cutter's youth, a story about his early time in the Sunvillage, a story centering on Skywise somewhen after the return of the Palace. The last is the important one: Full Circle
closes a time and knowledge gap between the end of SHARDS and the following stories ...The Searcher and the Sword
- following Cutter's tribe after ShardsDiscovery
- follows directly SatS
... that's what would make most sense for me to read in row from EQ1 until "present time" (= The Final Quest)
NOT on Digital EQ: The Final Quest PrologueFinal Quest #1-24
more or less parallel with SatS / DiscoveryWild Hunt
- following Ember's tribe after the Shards WarMender's Tale
(unfinished) - follows Wild HuntRecognition
(Summer Special) - continues Wild Hunt
partly retold and more or less retconed by the Final Quest #1-2
The Forevergreen Story arc is more or less continued byWorldpool
- following some chars from the Forevergreen Arc - andFire-Eye
both probably "non-canon"Other series and single issues
Tales from the Elves' wild pastBlood of Ten ChiefsTwo-SpearWolfrider!
- read it!By any other name
(in the Readers Collection "In all but Blood")Hidden Years #5, #6, #7, #9#5
Starfall, Starrise - pre-EQ1 (story about Skywise and his parents' fate)#6
/7 How Shall I keep from Singing - High Ones' arrival and first years#9
The Enemy's Face - story from Leetah's birth and youthHomespun
(in the Readers Collection "In all but Blood")
Spotlights on the time of the Long Wait (disappearance of the Palace until Big Sleep)Hidden Years #1, #2, #3#1
Wolfwood - during Long Wait (centering on Strongbow - I love it)#2
Going Back - during Long Wait (Kahvi "visits" Sorrow's End again)#3
Little Patch - during Long Wait (Tyleet's "cub")The Jury
(?)New Blood #11, #12, #13Kahvi
Background story of the WavedancersWavedancers Issue #1WavedancersWavedancers - lost chapters
... it might be less puzzeling to read it after Discovery (some inconsistencies and retconning)
Somewhen in not too far futureRogue's Curse
- following Rayek's journey after Shards/Final Quest
Far futureJinkThe ReblesFuturequest
I have not listed EVERYTHING here!The rest of New Blood
is a mix of Wild Past, Long Wait, various Misc stuff ... many of it considered non-canon
same for Bedtime StoriesElfquest Volume 2
- containes stories that are mostly listed and reposted in collections (ask if you want to know more ... same for stories I missed to mention)Kings Cross
- a "What-If" / alternative universe story ...Xanth
- something totally different
There is no easy way to read through - you'll have to pick when you want to follow the timeline.
As you will notice some of the stories can be found in several topics. The Elfquest Vol. 2 issues have several ongoing stories in each issue - and then and now a single one. Many of these stories are gathered in collections:
Dreamtime, Wild Hunt, Wavedancers, Rogue's Curse, Wolfrider! to mention just a few.
You can stick with the gatherings to follow my suggestions ... Elfquest Vol. 2 is a read for completation when everything else is done in my opinion.
Don't hesitate to ask in case you need more information - or help to find some issues/collections.
Welcome to the pack
Enjoy and have fun! Good read!